PDA

View Full Version : Paypal users: Does it look legit?

LaDeeDaDeeDa
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I just signed up on Paypal and will be doing my first sale on it since the guy is from the USA. He says he just paid me and I got this email, not sure if its legit or not. Basically I have to ship and email paypal with the tracking #, then the funds will be deposited into my paypal account. Tell me if you think this is legit.
------------------------

PayPal Payment Confirmation Approved***(Routing Code: C826-L003-Q999-T5365)***

"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
to me

PayPal

Dear (my name here),

This email confirms that you,(my name here), have been paid $775.00 by chad wakefrost
[email protected] using PayPal.

Payment Details

Purchased From: (my name here)
Transaction ID: *****************

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
Playstation 3 package 1 $750.00 $750.00

Shipping & Handling via UPS Class to 75222
(includes any seller handling fees) $25.00

Shipping Insurance (optional):
--
Total: $775.00

Shipping Information

Shipping Info:
Chad Wakefrost
1622 S Commence Ct
Centerville, TX
USA

Address Status: Confirmed
This PayPalŪ payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been " APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the Shipment/Reference Tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification.The number is to be sent to [email][email protected]

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PAYMENT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE "PENDING" TAB IN YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU SEND THE SHIPPING REFERENCE NUMBER TO US.
This is due to new policies at PayPal to protect both the buyer and the seller in the face of the growing number of fraudulent activities perpetrated via the internet. Your payment is intact. You are encouraged to complete this transaction.

* Fund purchases directly from your checking or savings account, in addition to using credit cards
* Improve your reputation by letting others know you're a confirmed, Verified member of the PayPal community
* Send money to friends, family, and PayPal Personal Account holders

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here .

Gurpy
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Umm...no.

Weapon_R
05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
lol

I don't think paypal has a policy like that

2EFNFAST
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL

AllGoNoShow
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
auctionfan.net doesn't even have a website, thatshould throw you off.

Nevermind the fact that any emails from paypal are normally paypal.com, not a totally different site.

gatorade
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been using paypal and ebay for a while and i've never heard of this, you don't ship until you get paid, never done things that way or heard of anyone else doing things that way before.

Xtrema
05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
[email protected]

hahahaha, can we spam this?

topmade
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Definatly a scam, the money should go straight into your paypal account and not held.

Try to take this guy for a ride and get as much info as possible and forward it to the proper authorities.

crazedmodder
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah he's full of shit. I think there are holding companies but 99% of the time they are a scam and Paypal doesn't hold money. :bullshit:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Own his ass.

Maddog55
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Go to Paypal security center
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-center-outside

And show them the email he sent you.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I should scam the scammer, ship him an empty box billed to him lol.

GTS Jeff
05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LaDeeDaDeeDa
I should scam the scammer, ship him an empty box billed to him lol. :thumbsup:

stealth
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
But if you ship the empty box, you will not receive any payment.

They just want to make sure you sent the item, and they will not pay you.

At least that is my understanding.

Nonetheless just ship him an empty box with a letter inside that says "Go fuck yourself".

e36bmw///
05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
nm

KK07
05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
just put a bunch of random useless things in the box to make it feel heavy and then bill it to him haha. Would that even work?

teggypimp95
05-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Its a scam. I had this happin to me a while back (same type of email) so i phoned pay pal and they said they dont work that way its a scam. Pay pal is deposited instantly and you have the money right away. Has nothing to do with shipping. Cancel the sale with the dude and let pay pal know of his identity.

01RedDX
05-03-2007, 02:30 PM

?????
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Even the first email gives it away.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

tcjsa
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Can you just ship him an empty box, but declare it to be worth a couple thousand $$$ for customs... then he'll be hit with a hefty tax

Mixalot27
05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Ship him a homemade PS3 like they did with a Powerbook at this link:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

codetrap
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
google "accountant.com" and you'll find links to hundreds of scams.

Amysicle
05-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Just give him a fake shipping number. Or if you want to do it the way everyone else is suggesting, just ship something fairly light and useless and declare the value as being massive. And use UPS. Those brokerage fees are a bitch.

I hate scammers. They need to find real jobs.

thanatos1111
05-04-2007, 02:38 AM
BY ALL MEANS, SHIP SOMETHING LIKE LEAD BICYCLE WEIGHTS!!!
Hallelujiah, hallelujiah, I'd love to get a look on the scammer's face when he pays the duty on a thousand dollar paperweight. Maybe for added effect, use some gold paint. And definitely use UPS. Stick it to them bastards! Wonder if you can ship COD so you don't have to pay shipping??