PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - May 2, 2007 - Aggressive Driving Month in BC

skidmark
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Aggressive Driving Month

Welcome to Aggressive Driving Month in British Columbia! What, EVERY month is aggressive driving month in B.C. you say? You are very likely correct with that observation, fully two thirds of all traffic fatalities in our province involve some form of aggressive driving.

What are the police doing about this you ask? Good question! RCMP Traffic Services has declared May 1 to May 31 to be Aggressive Driving Month and have committed to a targeted enforcement campaign to focus on speeding, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, weaving in and out of traffic, rolling through stop signs, failing to stop for yellow or red lights, blocking intersections and failing to yield the right of way.

Hmmm. This sounds suspiciously like the police advertising that they are doing their everyday job, doesn't it? Aren't they supposed to target aggressive drivers all the time?

Publicity campaigns like this one are important to call the public's attention to a significant problem on our highways. It also serves to promote awareness of the driving behaviours that are aggressive so that those drivers who do care might choose to modify their unsafe habits through personal choice. Of course, for those that don't care, there is always the ticket book.

Watch for significant changes later this year to both the traffic fine system and our ICBC insurance rates. Aggressive drivers who have yet to cause a collision will face a significant financial penalty in the form of higher fines and higher insurances rates. Those who do cause a collision will hurt even more.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/back_issues/2007_05_02.htm)

dragonone
05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
i hope their tatics work

while the police in big cities are trying to do everything they can to hunt down dangerous drivers, it just seems that the bigger and more dense the city, the more unfriendly and dangerous the motorists are

so many of you complain about calgary, vancouver's bad enough for me and i grew up there, i can't even imagine NY or LA

01RedDX
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM

3g4u
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Thats cause everybody here has an ego. Nobody lets anybody in for some reason. Try Rome its bloody hectic yet traffic flows becasue people have figured out that if you let people in that everything goes smooth. We do have the wave though that alot of places dont.

01RedDX
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM

3g4u
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh me too, i was just saying i have not seen the automatic wave pretty much anywhere else.