PDA

View Full Version : Tankless hot water heaters

Kaos
05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
The other day I go into the laundry room and seen a huge puddle of water, noticed it's coming from the hot water tank.
Looks like I need a hot water tank.

Anyone on the board have a tankless hot water heater?
Just curious to you see if your energy and gas bill dropped at all?
Was it worth the $800+?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I would be very interested in this as well.

TomcoPDR
05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
As per the Arpi's guy that installed my garage heater...

Tankless advantages:
- On demand hot water
- Large family units will enjoy ENDLESS supply of hot water showers; no more waiting 30-45mins after the 2nd person. (it only gets heat up when you need it)
- Because it only heats up the water only when required, in the LONG RUN (as licensed gas fitter claims), this will save you $$$ in the endless raising gas price market.
- Very space friendly. In Europe or Asia, they have little ones that's mounted right below your shower head... in Calgary I guess we have the luxury of huge basements. (well, some ppl are in apartments, but Calgary apartments usually run a huge basement community boiler)
- Don't "burst" like a TANK unit (flooded basement)... Of course unless the installation was poor and the joints leak, etc...

Disadvantage:
- Initial cost
- (use to be) limited in parts/service
- Choices/brands/colour may be limited (because of low demands in Calgary)

Edit: Forgot about this MAIN disadvantage: VENTING, cuz the combustion is within the unit (i.e. inside your house)... so there needs to be a solution to vent out the toxic exhaust gas... and this will add to your COST (over a house that was built with TANK units)... In your tank unit in the basement, the "venting" is into the furnace ducting..... so unless you put your tankless in the same spot.

Pretty much what I've concluded is that it'll be worth it if it's your personal residence and you plan to be there for over 6-10 years+ but not a rental or "flip" house. IMHO

Research:
www.arpis.com

Rob, Project manager residential department
Arpi's Industries Ltd.
6815 - 40th St. SE
Calgary, AB T2C 2W7
Bus: 403-236-2444
Cell: 403-888-0707

dezinr
05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree these are a good solution for your personal residence. They have been using them in europe for years. I am also looking to try and spec them for a condo project I am doing.

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
How much do they cost?

dezinr
05-04-2007, 03:04 PM
I think they range from 500 up depending on power demands.

gofastmerc
05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
http://www.holmesonhomes.com

Some very good write ups about tankless heaters.

I think you have to sign up to look, but if your doing any kind of home reno, its worth your time.

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

sweeks
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
My dad got one at his place a couple years ago. says its totally worth the cost.

bookem
05-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I've got one, and I love it. I got a Rinai brand, I was told that they're much better than the brands sold in big-box stores.

barmanjay
05-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I've had a homeowner install a renai (smaller model) and they loved it except, because they got the smaller model,.. the flow rate would slow down as soon as you wanted to run a bath.

make sure you get the bigger model.

Expect to spend at least 15-2000 installed

Annoyingrob
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
The initial cost is usually double that of a hot water tank, but the savings in gas is huge. It'll more then pay for itself over the lifetime of the unit.

The main difference in these units is the flowrate, or amount of hot water they provide. Make sure you know how big of a unit you need (do you want to be able to run the dishwasher, washing machine, and have 2 showers on at once, or do you just want to be able to do some dishes, or some laundry here and there)

zhulander
08-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Where did everyone go for installation? Final cost?

Is there a place to recycle your old hot water tank? or do you just throw it out at the dump?