PDA

View Full Version : Who works for BMO??

slick2404
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Just wondering on what its like to work for BMO as a teller....I had the phone interview today, and waiting on a behavioral test to be emailed to me soon...

Any perks, mgmt overall pretty competent...is it stressful....I've heard both sides from friends at TD and ATB but not sure what BMO is like, never stepped into on their branches before.

Is it easy to move up, I want to get into mortgage auditing later on...

~Leah~
05-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I can't tell you what it's like to work for BMO, but I have been with them since I started working ... I guess about 7 years ago now, and I've had nothing but problems. Just this past month, they cashed a cheque in my account that was dated November 1, 2007. They've done nothing but screw up all my loans and payments. They say they will hold anything over $300 in my account for 5 business days, which has turned into 13 business days on about 3 different occassions, even when I have gone in to talk to branch managers. They OK'd me to only have a 5 day business hold on an American cheque and held it for 30 days, again, even after I talked to someone. They suck and I have been actively looking for another bank to switch to. It's no wonder their first quarter was what it was.

pinoyhero
05-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I have worked as a teller at a big bank and honestly if you get a good group of younger people it can be a real fun job. I would recommend it for someone looking for casual work while going to school etc. In the long run its OK but your progression in pay and resp. will be far slower than if you were to get out of a branch. It can be fun though, somewhat high stress at select times (when dealing with nasty clients, faced with unframiliar situations etc.) but overall not too bad to put on the resume as a late teens, early 20s job.

Paul
05-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Bank teller with BMO was my first job. Pay at other banks was higher for the same position. I went from BMO to RBC and am currently working back at BMO's full-service brokerage (Nesbitt Burns).

They train all the new tellers in Calgary up at Marlboro...scary crap you see up there working in a bank!

Working for any of the major banks is basicaclly the same.

Amysicle
05-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Leah! Ouch at the banking situation.

I've heard horror stories for just about every bank. But mostly from CIBC, BMO and TD (usually before it merged with Canada Trust).

I've been signed up with First Calgary for about 7 years and they've messed up the rare occassion, I find that their policy regarding deposits/banking fees/whatever change depending on the teller you talk to. But then I just try the same thing again with a different teller at a different time with no problems. But they're only a credit union.

Haven't heard too many complaints about RBC though. From the sounds of it, you really should switch banks just due to the sheer incompetence of the people there.

slick2404
05-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys, seems like I'm gona give it a shot...good job I guess while in school, and doesnt hurt my resume

khtm
05-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
I can't tell you what it's like to work for BMO, but I have been with them since I started working ... I guess about 7 years ago now, and I've had nothing but problems. Just this past month, they cashed a cheque in my account that was dated November 1, 2007. They've done nothing but screw up all my loans and payments. They say they will hold anything over $300 in my account for 5 business days, which has turned into 13 business days on about 3 different occassions, even when I have gone in to talk to branch managers. They OK'd me to only have a 5 day business hold on an American cheque and held it for 30 days, again, even after I talked to someone. They suck and I have been actively looking for another bank to switch to. It's no wonder their first quarter was what it was.
Holy crap...change banks already lol. 7 years of bad service and you're still their customer?

slick2404
05-10-2007, 11:37 PM
alright, so i have an interview tomm. any suggestions....you think its gonna be the usual "tell me a time when...." type deal?

l/l/rX
05-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by slick2404
alright, so i have an interview tomm. any suggestions....you think its gonna be the usual "tell me a time when...." type deal?

my recent interview with TD had a lot to do with customer service...name a time when you had to deal with an upset customer. name a time where you went above and beyond for a customer. what would you do if a customer was yelling bitching at you? other questions about how would you make a customer happy etc.
if you dont like a co-worker how do you deal with them?

basic team work questions, managerial.

i dont know with bmo (but probably the same as td) with td theres a lot of perks that come with the job.

good luck!

slick2404
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
hey thanks. you were bang on with the questions. another one they asked was along the lines,

if a customer wanted to open an account, but the policy was you needed an appointment. how would you handle the situation if the customer insisted they were in a rush.

how did you resolve an issue with a co-worker

how are your time mgmt and organizational skills.....

just for reference in case someone else searches haha

chris
05-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

actually they had such a shitty first quarter because a 20 something commodities trader lost between 350 and 450 million!!!

Singel
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know the wage for tellers at BMO?

ashee
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
BMO usually doesn't hire young people.
There staff are almost all 25+...
The girl told me starting wage was $12/hr.