PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have good position paper techniques?

lammer
06-10-2003, 12:23 AM
i've been wondering how you guys set up your position paper..im looking for diffrent techniques and how you tackle the "to what extent...." "Should we..." questions for the social final..

thanks

nismodrifter
06-10-2003, 12:32 AM
the social final better be easy...something like on economies or something...I really am not in a bullshitting mood this week and having all these essays to do is not good when you don't feel like bullshitting through them.

anyways, our teacher says do it like this in the intro:
- explain why issue is important in one sentence
- some people believe......3 reasons that people have to support whatever is being said in the topic
- while others believe.......3 reasons against whatever is being said in the topic
- then in the last sentence write: edit: MY position is blah blahg

88CRX
06-10-2003, 12:33 AM
dont use the word I...........

nismodrifter
06-10-2003, 12:34 AM
yeah...forgot about that. "my" is fine right?

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Make sure to use examples. That is what gives an essay the structure.

Intro- general statement+thesis statement

Body- 3 paragraphs, an example for each. explain relevancy of example

conclusion-restate thesis and end argument

make sure to answer the question!

I am also writing the diploma essay on wednsday. Good luck to everyone else.

Did anyone write the english diploma today. It was really easy

szw
06-10-2003, 12:39 AM
They wouldn't like "my" either.

88CRX
06-10-2003, 12:40 AM
no... dont use i, my, me, etc....

ex.
I think __________ should jump off a bridge (bad)

In my opinion _________ should jump off a bridge (bad)

_________ should jump off a bridge (good)

:D i scored a 90 something on my social diploma last year..... simply talked out of my ass :thumbsup: good luck

nismodrifter
06-10-2003, 12:40 AM
well then..my position is that my teacher is an idiot then

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 12:42 AM
my bet is that the question is going to be something like

To what extent should should a government intervene in economics.

they will just make it sound more complicated. the weird thing about to what extent questions is that there is no real way to answer the question. its not really even a question as much as it is asking for an opinion. Just use good examples and support your ideas.

lammer
06-10-2003, 12:42 AM
the question on why i am asking is because i forgot how to write the position paper, and i failed last term because of 4 measily%!!
stupid ass social!

but
i start like this??

P1- Explain what the problem is, go into detail. some statements and a thesis.

p2,3,4-examples and use like history to provide structure. (Eg. This is financially ...............because .............in the.........it........ya ya ya)

conclusion.

damnit im scared of screwing up again..

88CRX
06-10-2003, 12:43 AM
in your first paragraph you MUST explain both sides....... then state you thesis...

lammer
06-10-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
no... dont use i, my, me, etc....

ex.
I think __________ should jump off a bridge (bad)

In my opinion _________ should jump off a bridge (bad)

_________ should jump off a bridge (good)

:D i scored a 90 something on my social diploma last year..... simply talked out of my ass :thumbsup: good luck

talked out of mine and pulled a 64..
the multiple choice ripped me open. i had no clue on what it was about. damnit..i just need a really clear explination on how to write this paper again because i totally forogt.

88CRX
06-10-2003, 12:45 AM
ya the mutiple choice destroyed me too.......

lammer
06-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
in your first paragraph you MUST explain both sides....... then state you thesis...

how do i do this again?

Some people would say.....
other people would say....
how do i then state my side and my arguments?

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 12:49 AM
the problem comes with the question that they ask. to what extent questions don't have two sides. they have two extremes and a huge area in the middle. A lot of the topics they ask are not two sided.

After writing my english essay today i want to do the social one now. I did really well on the english. Just go into the essay with confidence and don't listen to teachers when they say how important it is. the teacher in my school was saying to all the students that if the fail english then they don't graduate. Great pep talk asshole.

lammer
06-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
the problem comes with the question that they ask. to what extent questions don't have two sides. they have two extremes and a huge area in the middle. A lot of the topics they ask are not two sided.

After writing my english essay today i want to do the social one now. I did really well on the english. Just go into the essay with confidence and don't listen to teachers when they say how important it is. the teacher in my school was saying to all the students that if the fail english then they don't graduate. Great pep talk asshole.

haha with english i had a 40% grade mark
so i walked in with a 20% basically
pulled a 60some out of no where because i totally bs my way though the exam
and yanked a 56 or so final mark haha.

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 12:51 AM
thesis is easy. take the key word from the question and make a sentence with it and your opinion.

Ther are many different ways to explain the different sides. use what sounds best when your writing.

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by lammer

haha with english i had a 40% grade mark
so i walked in with a 20% basically
pulled a 60some out of no where because i totally bs my way though the exam
and yanked a 56 or so final mark haha.

i have 30's in everything right now. I had some problems this year. Was in the hospital for a while, sliced yhe palm of my right hand open, cut the muscle and couldn't write for 2 months. Missed a lot of school.

I am still expecting to graduate though. The diploma's are 50%. I like this

ramminghard
06-10-2003, 01:01 AM
also try getting some dexidrin. I took it for my test today and it kept me focused. Almost too focused, i wrote a 1500 word essay in under an hour. we write on computers so that makes things a bit faster.

lammer
06-10-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard

I am still expecting to graduate though. The diploma's are 50%. I like this

Same here. Im still expecting to graduate once i pull through this test.

There are Pros and cons to the 50% weight on the test

D'z Nutz
06-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Most importantly, don't get right into writing it once the clock starts. Take like 10-15 minutes to plan out your arguments and organize them well. If you take the time to plan, the loss of 10-15 minutes won't matter, because once you start writing, everything will fall into place. You don't want to start writing, then once you're into it, you change your mind, go back and erase everything and start again. That can cost more than 10-15 minutes, especially if it happens more than once.

Save your best argument for the last paragraph of your body, so that when you're reading it, you'll finish off with a bang (kind of like a climax in a movie or book) and leaves a lasting impression on the reader. Also, it might be a good idea to use your second best argument as the first paragraph of your body. That way, it'll give your essay a stronger start.

When selecting a position, neutral isn't always the best way to go. If it's organized badly, you might seem like you're undecided as to which position you agree with. Again, before you start, take the time to plan. Write down points for both sides of the positions, and choose the position that has the best arguments, even if you don't agree with it. For example, if you were writing a position paper on capital punishment, and you personally agree with it, but you have only 1 or 2 arguments, whereas you can come up with 6 or 7 arguments against capital punishment, go with the against, because you'll have more content to work with.

That's all I can think of really. Hope that helps! :)

Wildcat
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
keep on repeating the point your trying to make and make sure its a damn good one! i did it last semester, i think the question was something about global enforment and seperation of nation states or something.. anywayz i got a 89% :thumbsup:

lammer
06-11-2003, 12:24 AM
Good luck to everyone with diplomas/final exams!

ramminghard
06-11-2003, 12:26 AM
yup. get the esay done tomorrow morning