PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Stand Off at City Hall

Toms-SC
05-05-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=f422e7bf-4454-47c3-8fa3-12426c4d925e&k=17807

:dunno:

pepschnops
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
just heard about it on Q107. Don't ever hear about stuff like this in Calgary. One thing is for sure, downtown roads were slow.

schocker
05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Saw it on the news. Never really see something like this in calgary. now we wait for the outcome.

Toms-SC
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I would say suicide bomber but its just moving too slow.

im2fst4u
05-05-2007, 07:23 PM
This city is gettin nuts! This shit happens in multi million populated city's! Anybody close to the scene?

:thumbsdow

ZEDGE
05-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Probably some disgruntled transit employee..

WWJAI
05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
This is just crazy. I just saw this on the news.

Chopstix
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
holy crap! that is nuts

soupey
05-05-2007, 08:06 PM
why is there a lack of spaces and "tack" team in the linked article?

slick2404
05-06-2007, 12:06 AM
so what happened in the end, i missed the news

Si_FlyGuy
05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/05/calgary-city.html

JordanAndrew
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
crazy! :eek:

GTS Jeff
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
"He was distraught in regards to a domestic family issue and a court finding that affected him," Stuart said.

It was just some dude with a really rough life, that sucks.

B17a
05-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

It was just some dude with a really rough life, that sucks.

This dude fucked up traffic royally downtown yesterday. I was on 9th ave trying to east past City Hall and it was shut down at 1 st SE and Macleod northbound was obviously closed too. Add that to the city blocking off 5 ave at 1st steet meant almost no east bound traffic through downtown, a real mess.:thumbsdow

ianmcc
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Don't worry, Bronco will find a way to blame Ed for this too.

Xtrema
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
There seems to be more crazies in Calgary then ever. I think the living cost inflation probably make many misserable.

B17a
05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
I read this morning that this guy just got out of the can on a 9 year sentence for rape and assault, he slashed some lady's throat when he was 16. Maybe he is what they call a "habitual offender" and keep his asss in jail....:dunno:

Toma
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Crazy??

The guy fuckin had nothing but a Pellet gun...

Big deal :dunno:

l8braker
05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Crazy??

:rolleyes:

afrotl
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Crazy??

And and apparently with no pellets in it either:dunno:

Si_FlyGuy
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Scofield?

/////AMG
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Scofield?

bahahaha :rofl: :rofl:

Toma
05-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Back 15+ years ago before the advent of the "Fear Society", if a guy pulled a gun, 15 people tackled him..

In the old bar days, there was a shooting a couple times a year.... I remember, late 80's I think, I was hanging outside my dads bar when some guy drives past the door, and shoots at us with something from his car... 2 doormen run over, smash his window, one jumps in either side.... fists go flying, gun gets thrown out, then a hatchet, then a knife... It was only a 22 rifle :poosie:

This society is pussy whipped and scared of their own shadows.

I cannot believe there was a 4 hour standoff and streets shut down for a guy with nothing....

01RedDX
05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Toma
05-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^but he strapped an IED to himself, wires and everything.
NOOOOOO!!! Not the light-brites again!!! :rofl:

codetrap
05-07-2007, 02:44 PM

NOOOOOO!!! Not the light-brites again!!! :rofl:

Hindsight is 20-20. What tune would you be singing if he had been able to trigger a destructive IED? Happiness? Joy at having this "shithole" of a city having to endure a tragedy?

It would be pure stupidity to not to treat someone as a threat until proven otherwise. Surely you're not advocating that?

DayGlow
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
this is so sad. Just when the world needs him the most. Toma is wasting away posting on an interweb forum.

Go forth young man and save the world, there is evil afoot!

B17a
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Back 15+ years ago before the advent of the "Fear Society", if a guy pulled a gun, 15 people tackled him..

In the old bar days, there was a shooting a couple times a year.... I remember, late 80's I think, I was hanging outside my dads bar when some guy drives past the door, and shoots at us with something from his car... 2 doormen run over, smash his window, one jumps in either side.... fists go flying, gun gets thrown out, then a hatchet, then a knife... It was only a 22 rifle :poosie:

This society is pussy whipped and scared of their own shadows.

I cannot believe there was a 4 hour standoff and streets shut down for a guy with nothing....

I think you're confusing Rambo with reality. If someone is shooting at me from a car, guess what, I'm running and ducking, not chasing down the guy and disarming him.

Call me "pussy whipped" but I have 100% chance of survival or 50/50 getting shot by some dude I don't know nor care to know. Wow, that was worth it to be the big hero.:thumbsdow

TKRIS
05-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Hindsight is 20-20. What tune would you be singing if he had been able to trigger a destructive IED? Happiness? Joy at having this "shithole" of a city having to endure a tragedy?

I'm guessing it'd be Bush's fault. :D j/k

FWIW: I agree with Toma (*shudder*). Our culture is too passive, and that breeds cowardice.

Originally posted by Captain O'Hagan
There was a time when we'd take a guy like you in the back and beat you with a hose. Now you've got your God-damned unions.

B17a
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Our culture is too passive, and that breeds cowardice.

[/B]

I see it the otherway, our society is getting worse because we have more aggressive people. Whereas people would have let things go in the past, now they are out for vengance....

TKRIS
05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I see it the otherway, our society is getting worse because we have more aggressive people. Whereas people would have let things go in the past, now they are out for vengance....

People aren't aggressive.
The select few who cause trouble are aggressive, but their enboldened by the lack of resistance the rest of society exhibits.

The people who've always started shit seem are more aggressive because noone does shit to stop them anymore.

Put it this way:
If you're in a bar with your girlfriend, and some meathead grabs her ass, and you confront him and call him all sorts of names and get into a big argument, get him thrown out, etc, etc, etc....
He probably won't ever touch your girlfriend again.

Now, if I'm at the bar, and some clown grabs my girlfriends ass, and promptly finds himself bleeding and spitting chicklets, not only will he never touch my girlfriend again, but he'll sure as shit think twice about touching yours too.

Kris

P.S. No, I don't see myself as a superhero bar-star brawling toughguy. I don't get into fights, I listen to my instincts and avoid situations that give me a bad vibe, and am selective about who I associate with. As such, I haven't gotten into a fight in years. My point isn't that we should just beat the hell out of people all the time, my point is that every man should have a clearly defined line that dictates what he'll let another man do to him, take from him, say/do to those around him, etc. before he makes a stand. Unfortunatly, too many people are too vague on that line. As such, the asshole in the bar rarely meets anyone willing to force accountibility to his actions and let him know that that type of behavior won't go unchallenged.

P.P.S. The *You* I was refering to in "If you and your girlfriend..." wasn't meant to mean *YOU* you, but the collective *You*. ;)

B17a
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
No worries, I hear what you're saying.

Hakkola
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I don't think people are getting more aggressive, I just think that society doesn't put up with the shit that it used to. Kids get arrested for fighting these days. I remember when I was a kid I used to get in fights all the time, teachers would break it up and life went on. Now the sort of stuff that used to get you in a bit of trouble with the parents will land you on the 6 o'clock news. :thumbsdow

403Gemini
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't think people are getting more aggressive, I just think that society doesn't put up with the shit that it used to. Kids get arrested for fighting these days. I remember when I was a kid I used to get in fights all the time, teachers would break it up and life went on. Now the sort of stuff that used to get you in a bit of trouble with the parents will land you on the 6 o'clock news. :thumbsdow

lol man fuck in elementary i'd goto other school yards with my buddies and throw rocks at kids and get into fights and yeah we'd get sent to the principal's office and have our parents called but that was that.

Now playgrounds have ground up tires instead of gravel... we're just raising a bunch of sissies.

We cant follow our kids around hopign to catch them everytime they fall, they need to experience life for themselves

3g4u
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
this is so sad. Just when the world needs him the most. Toma is wasting away posting on an interweb forum.

Go forth young man and save the world, there is evil afoot!

:clap: :clap: