05-06-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remove_car_dent_with_airduster/

Haha worth a shot?

Vietsta
05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
wow. it wouldn't hurt to try

Intent_Fire
05-06-2007, 11:23 PM
hmm.. looks plausible.. would be kinda cool to try.. anyone wanting to try and get out some door dings?

ricosuave
05-06-2007, 11:27 PM
http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-07-2007, 02:44 AM
I want to see what TomcoPDR has to say... but it looks pretty cool, especially the hair dryer/compressed air one

djayz
05-07-2007, 03:18 AM
I know for a fact that dry ice works on relatively small dents and dings but the hairdryer and air duster technique seems like it would be good for big size dents since you can spray the air duster on a larger area.

Ill be taking out some dings with dry ice soon...Ill take some videos to show how nicely it works.

Cy2k1
05-07-2007, 04:06 AM
i've tried the hairdryer and air duster techique. it doens't work really well on small minor door dings. I've wasted two whole cans and it didn't do much. I haven't tried the dry ice application method, but i bet it's mite work better than the air duster method.

:thumbsup:
Col

ken-gsr
05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
yeah that is quite interesting. I will have to give it a shot, next time I have a big dent that is lol

TomcoPDR
05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I actually wasn't going to say anything, but since someone's called me out. lol

Now we all know the #1 rule on Beyond is Just type it, people will believe it's true :rofl: ... Seriously, I honestly haven't conducted any type of myth busting experiment to offer my findings tho. Furthermore, I'll probably be discredited for any advice over this matter anyways:
(a) If I say it doesn't work: Then I'll get a good dose of the typical Beyond E-beating, for hiding the truth and "ripping people off" for my services.
(b) If I say it works: Then somebody is going to call me "an idiot" for learning the old school method 9 years ago, $$$ thousands on tools; PROOF ----> http://www.dentcrafttools.com/products.asp?id=237 these sets are NOT cheap (I've got way more than just this basic set)... and that "speical flourscent light mount" that I take photos under aren't cheap either. http://www.pdrtool.com/paintless_dent_repair_tools/38/paintless_dent_removal_tools.php (range $250 - $400 USD)

Here's another "dent repair" video for ya then... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSz87hChfe8

Anyways, if someone's willing to provide a donor dented vehicle, bring the supplies (hair dryer, blow torch, heat gun, dry ice, air duster, toilet plunger, hammer, vacuum, etc...) along with another Beyond member AND a Beyond moderator (I want at LEAST 3 witnesses); I'll be more than welcome to host an experiment on this. (not responsible for paint damages for these experiments tho)

If any of these methods do work, why wouldn't you see me or my competitors buying boxes of air duster from meXpres. Or instead of driving cute little 4-door "beetles", we'll all be in refrigerated trucks hauling them dry-ice around town. (those guys should get into the moving business tho, cuz IMHO with a proper set of tools, I have no idea how they're able to pack 'em in a compact)

Most mechanic shops and bodyshops don't really consider "dent repair" as a serious automotive repair JOB; and it really isn't a job; it's an express of art.

Tom Co.

Edit: Oh, and if any of these DIY methods don't work, try the Canadian Tire Ding King puller kit... I got one for sale $5 still :banghead:

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I want to see what TomcoPDR has to say... but it looks pretty cool, especially the hair dryer/compressed air one

Originally posted by djayz
I know for a fact that dry ice works on relatively small dents and dings but the hairdryer and air duster technique seems like it would be good for big size dents since you can spray the air duster on a larger area.

Ill be taking out some dings with dry ice soon...Ill take some videos to show how nicely it works.

lint
05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Tom, does the length of time that a dent sits affect how easy/difficult it is to remove?

TomcoPDR
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by lint
Tom, does the length of time that a dent sits affect how easy/difficult it is to remove?

No, not on the modern day vehicles/paints.

Hence that's why a vehicle will stay in it's shape and form for years to come (and it doesn't all of a sudden "bounce" back into a flat roll of steel; cuz every panel with every model and make was stamped with a memory in which the panels were engineered... i.e. backside braces, spot welds, bolts into frame, etc...)

TomcoPDR
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Anyways, if someone's willing to provide a donor dented vehicle, bring the supplies (hair dryer, blow torch, heat gun, dry ice, air duster, toilet plunger, hammer, vacuum, etc...) along with another Beyond member AND a Beyond moderator (I want at LEAST 3 witnesses); I'll be more than welcome to host an experiment on this. (not responsible for paint damages for these experiments tho)

Actually you know what, on second thought, I'm pretty interested in finding out the answer to this too; cuz I get a lot of questions about the dry ice method.

Someone remind me of this thread sometimes in June, July, IF I ever get free from my personal and business schedules, I'll be more than willing to host such an event... Grab a scrap body panel, make a couple of dents, and go at 'er. Call it a Beyond PDR seminar if you will.

And I'll cover the cost of the air duster, hair dryer, dry ice. :thumbsup:

Maybe go for a cruise afterwards, BP's/Subway/Esso parking lot, and then some night-time entertainment fun <---- that's open interpretation; it could mean Ruckers or Chucky-Cheese or bowling, or something entirely different :bigpimp:

Let you guys play with my tools and prove that I'm not selling you a repair that could be bought even with the right tools; but a SKILL perform by the ones using the tools. (well, I dunno those dent repair myths could be true :dunno: and in that case I've always been looking for a legitimate excuse to get out of this trade anyways; for 8.5 years now. :banghead: )

Edit: "play with my tools" to be CLEAR means letting your guys try out some Professional Paintless Dent Repair tools on a scrap body panel to understand what we go through; so no sick misunderstanding plz.

Tom Co.

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I am going to try this out tonight on my mom's car....she has a large, shallow dent on the roof of the car, maybe 6-8" diameter. I will report back if it did anything.

My only concern is if anything will happen to the paint, but I figure it's no worse than rain/hose water hitting a car baking in +30 weather all day.

If this doesn't work, Tomco, I may have a job for you :D

ricosuave
05-07-2007, 04:06 PM
^

Can you get any video of it?

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
^

Can you get any video of it?

Yeah I think I could video it reasonably easily, I will try.

sneek
05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
That can't be good for the paint! Think about the amount of thermal stress being put on the area over such a short period of time.

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sneek
That can't be good for the paint! Think about the amount of thermal stress being put on the area over such a short period of time.

I was thinking that too but what happens when you blast your car with a hose after its been baking in 30+ degree heat? Or when it starts raining on a black car that's been baking all day? The temperature differences probably aren't that much different.

Anyways I had no time tonight to try, I didn't get home until 9:30.

turbotrip
05-07-2007, 09:57 PM
ill give it a try but wehre the hell can i get an airduster? walmart?

carter_prelude
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
well...i got one hell of a dent to try this out on! :D haha and im getting a new door anyway... :dunno:

barbarian
05-07-2007, 10:07 PM
The usual air-duster cans are 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane or similar, not carbon dioxide. Whereas CO2 has a boiling point of -78 C, this compound has a boiling point of 146 C. Now, the can experiences adiabatic cooling when you start discharging from it, but it's never going to get down as cold as dry ice, as -43 C is it's melting point.

carter_prelude
05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i72/carter240/03_10_8.jpg

i tihnk mine might be a bit too big....if i can find a can in town I'll video it :D

carter_prelude
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
The usual air-duster cans are 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane or similar, not carbon dioxide. Whereas CO2 has a boiling point of -78 C, this compound has a boiling point of 146 C. Now, the can experiences adiabatic cooling when you start discharging from it, but it's never going to get down as cold as dry ice, as -43 C is it's melting point.

are you saying one of those 12g CO2 things might work better? maybe i could poke a hole in the one end and make a friend hang on to it....if they can haha :bigpimp: im excited to try this out... ym car goes into the body shop on the 14th anyway :dunno: worth a shot haha that way no one has to sacrifice their door.

e36bmw///
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
nm

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Don't forget this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qEN_Nh1rIM

TONS of videos on youtube, keywords: Dent, dents, paintless, paintless repair, dent repair, door ding.