PDA

View Full Version : Rear end someone? Why not have a party on the side of the road?

Redlyne_mr2
05-08-2007, 12:06 AM
So whats the policy on small fender benders? Why is it necessary to stop both cars involved right in the lane where it happened even if that means blocking traffic and creating a massive jam? Its always refreshing to see 2 and sometimes 3 of 4 (witnesses) cars just chilling with their hazards on while everyone is just hanging out chatting on the side of the street, meanwhile there is a turn off to a side street 20 meters away! Whats even better is when it happens on a 3 or 4 lane road, the people just stop even if theyre in the middle lane. I love nearly killing people and swerving out of the way at the last minute! If you get in a fender bender pull off to the shoulder or 2 a nearby sidestreet. There is no reason to stay exactly where you are, the police dont need forensic evidence, they aren't going to take photos of the scene ...get out of the way!

stevo 27
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
^^FUCKIN EH!!!!!! ^^

civic_stylez
05-08-2007, 06:49 AM
im with you on that.. i think if both cars are driveable and you stop in a lane, you should be fined for it... traffic backs up for miles for 2 people who have scratched the paint on their 87 hyundai and need to create a crime scene in the middle lane.. like seriously...:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

soupey
05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
cuz, when my mom hit someone from behind in my car, the other driver lady thinks it will cause problems for her story if she doesn't get a firetruck, ambulance, and ~3 cruisers out for a fenderbender...u kno...just to be safe.

idiots.

talonboi
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
this morning on northbound deerfoot, there was a fender bender in the middle lane, which they didnt move the cars. it was a little frustrating at first. but its the morning time, i kind of got use to the fact that theres always delays on the deerfoot.

AhabTheArab
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Because you'll turn off while the other bitch doesn't and takes off.

Euro_Trash
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
:werd: Same with the people who get pulled over by the cops for speeding or whatever and instead of getting off the road they just stop the car... especially when there is a turn off 10 m further ahead

DNSDJS
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
:werd: Same with the people who get pulled over by the cops for speeding or whatever and instead of getting off the road they just stop the car... especially when there is a turn off 10 m further ahead

the cops can take this action in 2 ways
the nices ones will be like smart move to pull off (some times a smaller ticket)
the bad ones will make it seem like u were tryin to get away. (even bigger ticket)

Euro_Trash
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DNSDJS

the cops can take this action in 2 ways
the nices ones will be like smart move to pull off (some times a smaller ticket)
the bad ones will make it seem like u were tryin to get away. (even bigger ticket)

Slow down on your way to pulling over, put on your blinker, make it OBVIOUS you are going to pull over

DNSDJS
05-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Slow down on your way to pulling over, put on your blinker, make it OBVIOUS you are going to pull over

:werd:

cloud7
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Actually a co-worker got a big ticket because she pulled over at a safe place ~100 m from where the police had the lights on. Obviously the police wasn't too happy and said that "when you see the lights, you should stop right away"

Euro_Trash
05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

Actually a co-worker got a big ticket because she pulled over at a safe place ~100 m from where the police had the lights on. Obviously the police wasn't too happy and said that "when you see the lights, you should stop right away"

Thats too bad to hear! That sure would piss me off haha
I just thought clearing the road for other traffic would make sense but apparently not :dunno:

eb0i
05-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I rather would get out and get the persons info before pulling off to the side. A hit and run is more likely to happen if you pull over to the side since the person in front hasn't even seen your license plate yet (in Alberta). After you exchange info then you can pull over to the side imo.

Spoons
05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
See if I took the cops point of view, I would love to see the person pull off the road into a safe place. They could stop right there, then I am pressed up against their car while talking while cars zoom past me, possibly being smoked by a car, OR talk to the person in a safe place, and not have to worry about other traffic.

Common sense just isn't that common anymore :rolleyes:

Euro_Trash
05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Common sense just isn't that common anymore :rolleyes:

403Gemini
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Really? I find that hard to believe as its protocol to pull to the right side of the road, and people WILL let you in when they see a cop with their lights on...

2BLUE
05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
It is law to move youre vehicle off to the side of the road if youre vehicle can be moved. There always advertising it on the radio but nobody listens.

spiceboy
05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
This happened to me a few yrs ago: It was a cold, icy winter day and I was driving on 16Ave E bound. Traffic came to a stop and the car behind me was following too close and couldn't stop in time --> Minor fender bender. We were in the middle lane (right past SAIT) and when I stepped out of the car to inspect the damage I almost slipped on the ice while the cars were zooming past me in the adjacent lane. So I told the driver "Let's turn off 16Ave and stop at the Esso Station up ahead and we'll talk. It's too dangerous here." So we got into our cars, and he managed to make a lane change before I did (traffic jam). Next thing I know, I was just watching him turn off 16Ave, go past the Esso gas station and speed off!

This lesson taught me that when a hit and run occurs:
1) Don't move your vehicles unless necessary.
2) Before even talking to the other party involved, take down the license plate first (and make and model of car)
3) Snap a few pics if you have a camera handy

AFTER all these, then it's "safe" to move your cars.

barbarian
05-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I think you're just supposed to check if there are any injuries/the vehicles are drivable, and then move them off the road and exchange.

spiceboy
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by barbarian
I think you're just supposed to check if there are any injuries/the vehicles are drivable, and then move them off the road and exchange.

(if you are referring to my reply)
DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST?????

Jay911
06-12-2007, 02:19 PM
There's no reason to stay in the road. Get the other guy's plate right away if you want - that way if he runs, you have info to provide to the police. But get off the bloody road. Police don't even come out any more unless the vehicles aren't drivable or there are injuries requiring an ambulance. Exchange info and report it to the most convenient district office to you as soon as you can.

bobby_lu
06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
If i got rear-ended I wouldnt move for the simple reason that the guy would peace it if they got the chance...as stated above...

BokCh0y
06-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy
This happened to me a few yrs ago: It was a cold, icy winter day and I was driving on 16Ave E bound. Traffic came to a stop and the car behind me was following too close and couldn't stop in time --> Minor fender bender. We were in the middle lane (right past SAIT) and when I stepped out of the car to inspect the damage I almost slipped on the ice while the cars were zooming past me in the adjacent lane. So I told the driver "Let's turn off 16Ave and stop at the Esso Station up ahead and we'll talk. It's too dangerous here." So we got into our cars, and he managed to make a lane change before I did (traffic jam). Next thing I know, I was just watching him turn off 16Ave, go past the Esso gas station and speed off!

2) Before even talking to the other party involved, take down the license plate first (and make and model of car)

Originally posted by AhabTheArab

That's exactly what happend to me.....

Some asshole rear ended me on crowchild and kensington road....well a little past kensington road. Anyways we talked and I asked him to pull over to the intersection so we won't be blocking traffic and avoid getting run over. He said ok, let's go. So me being the person that was rear ended obviously i had to go first and he follow me.....so I turned off and the asswipe just kept driving straight and took off on me.....it was rush hour so by the time i turned around and got out of the intersection back onto Crowchild he was already gone.

bobby_lu
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
And if youre gonna move from the site....at least get the guy's plate!

Orbie
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

That's exactly what happend to me.....

Some asshole rear ended me on crowchild and kensington road....well a little past kensington road. Anyways we talked and I asked him to pull over to the intersection so we won't be blocking traffic and avoid getting run over. He said ok, let's go. So me being the person that was rear ended obviously i had to go first and he follow me.....so I turned off and the asswipe just kept driving straight and took off on me.....it was rush hour so by the time i turned around and got out of the intersection back onto Crowchild he was already gone.

I love how people are yelling at folks like BokCh0y, spiceboy, AhabTheArab to get off the road right away when they are describing the same story over and over that basically writes out in big neon letters why that is not a good idea. People WILL run on you if you don't keep a check on them, same thing happened to my Dad. There really isn't a great solution to the problem, but what you guys did is probably the best thing. Stop, get out and take the other person's license plate down at least, then mention to pull over. There is no way around it, if you get rear-ended you can't just assume the culprit will pull off the road with you, in fact it's just plain stupid and naive.

Redlyne_mr2
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Definitely nothing wrong with getting the persons info before hand, certainly should be the first course of action. What Im having the issue with is these extended hangouts and gathering that occur after an $800 fender bender.

urban.one
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Use your cell phone. Take a pic of the driver, the car, and the plate.

Let them run.

project240
06-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I rather would get out and get the persons info before pulling off to the side. A hit and run is more likely to happen if you pull over to the side since the person in front hasn't even seen your license plate yet (in Alberta). After you exchange info then you can pull over to the side imo.

I'm completely agree with this. Several years ago, I was driving and stopping and a red light. Guy behind me hits me going about 20-30km/hr and pushed me into the intersection. I put on my signal, turned and parked 5 m away, around the corner. I see the light turn green and buddy starts pulling forward slowly, then hammers on the gas and takes off.

I quickly turned around and sped trying to catch him. I end up getting pulled over for speeding. I explained the whole story to the police officer and he said "That's too bad" as he handed me my ticket for 66 in a 50 zone. Cost me $200 for the ticket plus $1200 damage.

Now, I don't care if I get hit and block both lanes, I stop and get the license plate at the very least before pulling ahead and exchanging info. If someone saw me doing this, they might think "what an asshole", but once you get "bit once" it somewhat changes the way you look at things.

BokCh0y
06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by project240

I'm completely agree with this. Several years ago, I was driving and stopping and a red light. Guy behind me hits me going about 20-30km/hr and pushed me into the intersection. I put on my signal, turned and parked 5 m away, around the corner. I see the light turn green and buddy starts pulling forward slowly, then hammers on the gas and takes off.

I quickly turned around and sped trying to catch him. I end up getting pulled over for speeding. I explained the whole story to the police officer and he said "That's too bad" as he handed me my ticket for 66 in a 50 zone. Cost me $200 for the ticket plus $1200 damage.

Now, I don't care if I get hit and block both lanes, I stop and get the license plate at the very least before pulling ahead and exchanging info. If someone saw me doing this, they might think "what an asshole", but once you get "bit once" it somewhat changes the way you look at things.

I learned my lesson the hard way.....won't make the same mistake twice!!!!!!

nj2Type-S
06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Use your cell phone. Take a pic of the driver, the car, and the plate.

Let them run.

barbarian
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM

So if the cops are behind you, and turn their lights on, and you lock up your brakes to stop right away, and they hit you, is it the cop's fault?

---

As for pulling over--the general procedure the cops recommend is to ensure there are no injuries and the cars are drivable before moving the cars. This gives you time to see what the other driver looks like, and snap a photo of the plate and the two cars making love with that disposable camera you keep in your glove box. You do, right?

sjaswal
07-03-2007, 02:02 AM
no, the rules just change, now you get charged for being a homo because the cop gave it to you in the rearend.

lil*tymer
07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by AhabTheArab

this happened to a friends of mine. It was rush hour so he told the opther party to follow him to a parking lot up ahead. just before they got there he jetting down a residential street and after a short chase he got away. fwd vs. 4wd truck in winter he had no chance.

so get your info and fuck going to a safe place... you may just get fucked over.

keroppi
07-12-2007, 03:32 PM
All good posts... I think the conclusion is that we should always stop at the accident scene first, take down the other driver's license plate and better his insurance/registration info, and then evaluation the situation whether police needs to be called or make any phone call you need. Then move your car to some safe place without blocking the traffic.

The morale here is just no need to stop your car in the middle of the road to wait for a cop to show up, your family to come rescue, or just the tow truck to come.

tom_9109
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
The best part is if you suggest to these people to move their cars into the parkin lot 20 feet away they tell you they HAVE TO leave them there for the police.

Redlyne_mr2
12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Bump... some fool creating a massive traffic jam on 17th yesterday because someone touched his bumper. He as taking up almost 2 lanes because he decided to leave his door open while he chatted with the other party involved. :dunno:

Mar
12-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Actually a co-worker got a big ticket because she pulled over at a safe place ~100 m from where the police had the lights on. Obviously the police wasn't too happy and said that "when you see the lights, you should stop right away" Negative. It's actually acceptable to call the station while the cop is following you and ask them to confirm the car behind you is a legitimate officer of the law. I've heard of people doing this, they radio out to the cop, cop radios back and they confirm over the phone. Then you stop.

As for the fender benders on the road, when I was in the USA they had signs on the highway saying things like, "Next collision inspection site: 300 metres" and there would be a little zone to pull off onto.

Lex350
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM

see this is why the first thing i always do after an accident is get out and take a picture of their plate...then the driver...then the scene. It really sets people back a bit. I had one guy ask me if I was a lawyer. hahahahaha

exodus989
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Negative. It's actually acceptable to call the station while the cop is following you and ask them to confirm the car behind you is a legitimate officer of the law. I've heard of people doing this, they radio out to the cop, cop radios back and they confirm over the phone. Then you stop.

As for the fender benders on the road, when I was in the USA they had signs on the highway saying things like, "Next collision inspection site: 300 metres" and there would be a little zone to pull off onto.

Where is this? at? I've never seen any of those signs, especially in meters... And I doubt there are those signs, because it is not a big enough occurrence to have them...

Mar
12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by exodus989

Where is this? at? I've never seen any of those signs, especially in meters... And I doubt there are those signs, because it is not a big enough occurrence to have them... In Atlanta on the 75.......or 94, I used so many freeways between here and there I can't remember where they were. But it was Atlanta. I knew I'd have someone mention the usage of the metric system but I can't remember which unit of measurement they used. Maybe it was 1/4 mile or something like that, I don't remember.

snoop101
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
If they hit you then take off, wouldent they get charged for hit and run? Im sure there insurance company would not help them out if they did this.

misterrick
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
If they hit you then take off, wouldent they get charged for hit and run? Im sure there insurance company would not help them out if they did this.

the matter here is if you DONT get their plate number or info. unless they report that they committed a hit and run, your SOL

on another note, i got pulled over on deerfoot (speeding:poosie: ) i put my signal on and continued to the next exit. the cop actually THANKED me for pulling over at a safe spot.

but on yet another note, i was in an accident a few years back. i smoked someone in an intersection. the front end of my car was totalled, but i still pulled off into the nearest parking lot. i was then quickly accused of trying to run :facepalm:

TorqueDog
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
:werd: Same with the people who get pulled over by the cops for speeding or whatever and instead of getting off the road they just stop the car... especially when there is a turn off 10 m further ahead I got in shit for this one time when I was a kid. Cop flips his lights on, and we're on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (think 16th Avenue N or MacLeod Trail), so I slow my vehicle, put my blinker on, and turn into a side street and stop.

He tore a strip off me for not pulling over immediately, saying "I will pick the spot, not you", to which I simply said "In my judgement, it was unsafe to stop there".

I didn't get a ticket for that OR for what he had pulled me over for (burnt out headlamp). But he was not fucking thrilled, lol.

89s1
12-09-2009, 02:05 PM
stupid.

Originally posted by bobby_lu
stupid.

Originally posted by BokCh0y
stupid.

Originally posted by project240
stupid.

Any more want to join this club?

Feel free to get out of your car at the accident site to get the guys plate, then GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD.

misterrick
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I got in shit for this one time when I was a kid. Cop flips his lights on, and we're on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (think 16th Avenue N or MacLeod Trail), so I slow my vehicle, put my blinker on, and turn into a side street and stop.

He tore a strip off me for not pulling over immediately, saying "I will pick the spot, not you", to which I simply said "In my judgement, it was unsafe to stop there".

I didn't get a ticket for that OR for what he had pulled me over for (burnt out headlamp). But he was not fucking thrilled, lol.

winnipeg cops are like that. same kind of situation, my brother and me got pulled over, he pulls into the parking and begins to bitch us out. all because his front plate was in the window and not on his bumper.

Toilet_D
12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
most of my rear-endings happened in jail

revelations
12-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Next time say you were concerned about "officer safety".

They should get it then (key phrase).

89s1
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by misterrick

winnipeg cops are like that. same kind of situation, my brother and me got pulled over, he pulls into the parking and begins to bitch us out. all because his front plate was in the window and not on his bumper.

The cop was probably upset because it's against the law to have it in the windshield. :rolleyes:

I lived in Winnipeg and there were always people that would go out of their way to not mount their front plates, like some sort of childish rebellion.