PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

Mckenzie
06-10-2003, 01:24 PM
My nokia is having seizures and I need a new phone.

I am thinking of that cool new panasonic phone with the camera built into it...What do you think about that one?

It has to be rogers though.....

Also, anyone have experiences with the new motorollas....?

ryder_23
06-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Dont go with rogers man....friend has rogers, he gets no reception what so ever, in the westhills area.

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Telus has best coverage, but every one here seems to bitch about the price and the phones they offer.

The way I look at it isthis. what, you pay 5-10 more a month, and you are pretty much garunteed to have service, cause there is nothing that pisses me off more than having a dropped call. Too me the network integrity Telus has over Rogers is worth the few more you pay a month.

Mckenzie
06-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Well my cell phone number is on my business card so I am leary about changing it. I also hate the telus plans and telus period.

Dont get me wrong.... I dont even get reception in my own house but it does not seem worth the hassle to switch companies right now.

Ben
06-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Makes sense I guess, but what good is a wicked phone if you cant use it whenever you like.

lammer
06-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Yo mackenzie, since your with rogers what plan you got and which plan is good?

Man i got screwed last term haha i wasn't reading to clearly and i got over charged because i thought it said free evening and weekends but bah i swear it said that but fuck it changed and i was paying like 100 a month.

Shaolin
06-10-2003, 08:23 PM
I was with Clearnet/Telus for 2 years and then switched to Rogers.. IMO both providers didn't give me reception at the Uni, and the only reason i switched to Rogers was because my plan was over and my voicemail stopped working.. I'm pretty happy with Rogers right now though, other than the reception problem at the Uni, Rogers has given good service. I wanted to upgrade to the T720 but my contract's not over till march :thumbsdow

Mckenzie
06-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Lammer.... Phone right now and get their promo package. I have had it for almost a year now and I have never gone over.

The plan is $40 ($55 - $15 credit)

You get..... 350 daytime minutes, unlimited evening/ weekend.

My bill comes to $58/ mnth and I have call waiting, caller ID, voice mail and all of those minutes. I can pretty much talk whenever I want to. Its better to pay a bit more than pay less and bitch about a $100 phone bill. that is why I changed.

lammer
06-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Lammer.... Phone right now and get their promo package. I have had it for almost a year now and I have never gone over.

The plan is $40 ($55 - $15 credit)

You get..... 350 daytime minutes, unlimited evening/ weekend.

My bill comes to $58/ mnth and I have call waiting, caller ID, voice mail and all of those minutes. I can pretty much talk whenever I want to. Its better to pay a bit more than pay less and bitch about a $100 phone bill. that is why I changed.

nice thanks. im probably gonna get that one. since it is a plus to get that voice mail onto my number. thanks man!

lammer
06-10-2003, 09:29 PM
actually is there a smaller "promo" plan?

Ben
06-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I have the Talk 40 Plus on Telus.

monthly rate - $40
included airtime - 300minutes

unlimited local evenings & weekends

included features:

voice mail 3

call waiting

conference calling

free local calling on your birthday

surf sampler

PERKS

System Licencing Fee - 6.95
911 fee - $0.25

Added 7.00 for Call Display, Call Forwarding and Enhanced Huge ass Voicemail Box.

Total: $54.20 x 7%GST
= $57.99

Then I get my Telus Discount :D

All that for less than 40 a month tax in ;).

Weapon_R
06-10-2003, 10:42 PM
I've got the same plan McKenzie has - it is more expensive, but it ends up being cheaper since you rarely end up going over your daytime minutes. Besides that, Rogers has 6pm evening calling, unlike the others. But decide quickly, since all carriers are changing their evening calling times to 8pm

FiveFreshFish
06-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Anyone have any experience with Bell?

Ajay
06-11-2003, 02:35 AM
I work for a Telus dealership and I can tell you Telus does have the best coverage in western Canada. I'm not being biased when I say that....it's the truth. Also the network that Telus employs is alot more secure and reliable than the network that Rogers or Fido use.

Bell has alot of their own towers within the city of Calgary, not as many as Telus, however outside of Calgary in rural areas Bell users roam off of Telus towers. It's an agreement that Telus and Bell have. If you go out east as a Telus customer you're gonna be using a Bell tower to receive service and if you're a Bell customer out west you're going to be using a Telus tower for reception. In a place like Red Deer a Bell customer is using a Telus tower. If I'm Telus I'm going to give preference to my own users as opposed to a Bell user....so who do you think is gonna be bumped off the tower first? Definetly not a Telus customer!!!!

I working for a Telus Mobility dealership agree that there's alot of things about Telus that can be refined whoever the simple fact is Telus has the best service in Western Canada.

Hakkola
06-11-2003, 02:05 PM
haha, good info, i had a nokia phone with fido, i was really mad about something and threw it, it kinda exploded so i'm lookin for a new phone, was thinkin of telus or bell, looks like i'll go for telus, just gotta decide what phone...

Super_Geo
06-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I've got the same plan McKenzie has - it is more expensive, but it ends up being cheaper since you rarely end up going over your daytime minutes. Besides that, Rogers has 6pm evening calling, unlike the others. But decide quickly, since all carriers are changing their evening calling times to 8pm

Rogers already made the switch to 8pm nights, it's $5 extra to get it down to 6pm.

Mckenzie
06-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Well I just ordered the motorolla 720. It should be here next week... but it looks pretty cool... we will see...:thumbsup:

Shaolin
06-11-2003, 06:06 PM
let me know how it is, i was going to get that one too.

Mckenzie
06-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Well I got the phone on Friday night from purolator and charged it up and got it ready for Saturday morning..... this phone is sweet!

The full color screen looks really cool and is a lot easier to see in darker settings than the crappy backlit ones. (Tested it out at the Crack Alley Last night).

The menu functions are easy to navigate through and are so far pretty user friendly.

My only complaint: Storing numbers..... I got a girl to enter her phone number last night and it did not save.... :( That pissed me off when I got home but I am not sure what happened..... I was used to the nokia....

The design is user friendly and it does not have a big antenae..... My only worry is that it will break easily and be very expensive to repair.... oh well....

But so far so good....

Stratus_Power
06-15-2003, 09:04 PM
man i gotta start upgrading my plans.. i have the $30 plan right now and my phone bill is ~ $120/month

SoSlowDx
06-15-2003, 11:13 PM
I have np with my Rogers phone and the motorola v70 ain't that bad been working good for me.