PDA

View Full Version : Another Tourist Attacked....

joyridder
05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
getting kind of scary downthere....:confused:
Anyone ever been to this resort?

Alberta man clings to life after attack at Mexican resort

An Alberta man on holiday in Mexico is on life support after being attacked and beaten at a Cancun resort, his family says.

Jeff Toews, 34, of Grande Prairie, was found Monday on the grounds of the Moon Palace Resort by security guards, his brother Murray said.

Toews, the father of a three-year-old son, was vacationing in Mexico with his wife, Natalie, and nine other couples from northern Alberta.

His brother said Toews is in an induced coma and on life support after receiving serious injuries to his head and back. He was attacked while walking outside a nightclub at the resort.

Another brother, Gregg, who organized the vacation, performed CPR until the ambulance arrived.

The resort is not being very co-operative and police have made no arrests, Murray Toews said, adding his family is working with the Canadian Consulate in Cancun.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/05/08/attack-cancun.html
resort link http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/MoonPalace/Index.asp

Rx7
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
wats up with all the canadians being attacked down there?

Supa Dexta
05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I think a country wide recommendation to not go to mexico should be put in place and teach those fuckers a lesson..

dericer
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
No way. When I worked up north for the Government I met most of the Toews family.

I've heard the hotels make a load of money from the thugs if they turn the other cheek too.

Super_Geo
05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I think a country wide recommendation to not go to mexico should be put in place and teach those fuckers a lesson..

Yeah tourism fuels a shitload of local economies in Mexico... no tourist dollars means those communities would go to shit. The hotel not cooperating is retarded... let's see how many local Mexicans are willing to shell out thousands of Canadian/American currency to stay there for a week :rolleyes:

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Really wrecks it for the local business when scums do crap like that to tourists... But then again, we don't know what the victim did, or what he was "involved" in down there.

jay42w8
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rx7

I highly doubt its just Canadians...it would be interesting to see how many people from other countries are being attacked...I wonder how many Americans, for example, I bet its at least double

dericer
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Really wrecks it for the local business when scums do crap like that to tourists... But then again, we don't know what the victim did, or what he was "involved" in down there.

Unfortunately we'll never know since the Police, and hotels will not cooperate.

3g4u
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Easy fix, Just STOP GOING TO MEXICO. Its garbage down there anyway.

Xtrema
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Well that's 3rd case as recent as I can remember. Time for feds to grow a pair of balls and issue a travel advisory and tell people to avoid Mexico.

Give it a few years then lift advisory when local government is cracking down on resorts again.

Gurpy
05-08-2007, 07:15 PM
We have a timeshare there, great resort....nice place, surprised to hear that happened..they have really tight security (to get in to the road which leads to the hotel they have security 24/7 monitoring)

Kobe
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I was in mexico a few months ago.. I would say it is about 1000X safer then calgary.. every corner there is cops with there lights on, driving around so there is no problems...

You can't walk more then two minutes without seeing a cop car..

If this guy got attacked, I'm sure he did something stupid inside one of the bars, or started being lippy to the mexicans...

I don't know about anyone else, but when I went down I had no problems walking around the bars at 10am 10pm or even 3am...

All the mexicicans we talked to said they love there jobs, some of them would drive an hr to get to and back from work each day...

GQBalla
05-08-2007, 07:52 PM
wow thats crazy.. - hopefully nothin happens like this in aruba

88CRXGUY
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
I shit my pants when I seen this on the news this evening. My gf just got back from Cancun(near Cancun) early this past Sunday, I'm so happy she made it home safe and sound. I hope that they find the people that did this, my condolenses go out to the family.

403Gemini
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
I was in mexico a few months ago.. I would say it is about 1000X safer then calgary.. every corner there is cops with there lights on, driving around so there is no problems...

If this guy got attacked, I'm sure he did something stupid inside one of the bars, or started being lippy to the mexicans...

I don't know about anyone else, but when I went down I had no problems walking around the bars at 10am 10pm or even 3am...

All the mexicicans we talked to said they love there jobs, some of them would drive an hr to get to and back from work each day...

lol , this is the most ironic thing i've ever read. You feel SAFE with mexican police around?

You loco man

vud tuner
05-08-2007, 10:44 PM
This is getting scary. My mom just got transfered down there and i am suppose to move there for 1-3 years. Lets hope it gets better by summer

JRSC00LUDE
05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't know what the big deal is. Didn't you guys hear? He fell out of a window. He's just clumsy like that woman you see with the big knuckle shaped bruises on her face that "fell down the stairs" or "ran into a door". Silly drama queens.... :rolleyes:

mekeni
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
if you think mexico is safe... think again.

Tik-Tok
05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
It's a conspiracy! Hospitals down there aren't receiving enough money, so they hire these thugs to beat down tourists and milk the insurance money! :nut:

calgarygts
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

hahahaha, mexican police are not to be trusted!! Last summer my friend and I got jumped by six mexican police while we were walking from the pier to the hotel in the early evening. They demamded all the money we had, had my friend in handcuffs walking him to the cop car telling us he wasn't going to leave mexico for the next year. Very safe indeed.

redline
05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I say the US should invade and kill all the corrupt evil poeple then we can have safe beach to vacation on.... :drama:

89coupe
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Who saw him get beat down?

These are only allegations are they not?

TKRIS
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Urijah Faber kicks ass.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rOQLg7Kc8So"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rOQLg7Kc8So" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

EDIT: It's a few minutes in where he starts describing his "Bali Incident"

R-Audi
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
wow thats crazy.. - hopefully nothin happens like this in aruba

Are you serious? have you been living in a cave?

The American girl going missing, and her body never being found doesnt ring a bell??

This stuff happens every year.. and in any travel destination. I think its more likely in 3rd world type destinations, but you just have to be careful.

Without anyone knowing the exact story.. its tough to speculate. Sure Mexico is corrupt.. doesnt make the entire country unsafe. Look at how many people travel down there... then how many tourist fatalities there are.

89coupe
05-09-2007, 01:12 PM
If you are looking for trouble, you will always find it.

Ice712
05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
The most disappointing factor is the lack of action from our government. What was the out come of the case where the couple from Ontario got murdered? Unsolved. Any follow up? Or are Canadians on there own when they leave Canadian soil???

This time a Albertan gets beaten to death and the Mexicans claim he fell out off a second story balcony.

I agree with the other posters...I will not step foot in a country full of corrupt dirt bags and our corrupt dirt bags better get to the bottom of these crimes. If they need to send RCMP on the tax payers dollar then they should because god knows the Mexicans will plead ignorance.

snowboard
05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
hes been declared brain dead.
he wont live.

so sad.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=61b0fadb-c63d-4cb0-944b-63ea194cb914

Tik-Tok
05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
Or are Canadians on there own when they leave Canadian soil???

As far as I'm concerned... YES.

Our government is here to protect our citizens in our country. The minute you leave our borders, you shouldn't be relying on them, as they have no real power elsewhere.

joyridder
05-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
hes been declared brain dead.
he wont live.

so sad.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=61b0fadb-c63d-4cb0-944b-63ea194cb914

sad way to die.....

natejj
05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Big woopee. Just as many people get attacked here.

I felt safer walking around downtown the mexican town Vicente Guerrero at night, then I did in Seattle.

Tik-Tok
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Big woopee. Just as many people get attacked here.

I felt safer walking around downtown the mexican town Vicente Guerrero at night, then I did in Seattle.

Foreign Affairs missions in Mexico logged 172 reports of violence against Canadian travellers during the last seven years.

In contrast, the United States — the number one destination of travelling Canadians — reported only 37 attacks on Canadians during that period.

01RedDX
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM

e36bmw///
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
nm

e36bmw///
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
nm

modded46
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah tourism fuels a shitload of local economies in Mexico... no tourist dollars means those communities would go to shit.

I agree that tourism fuels a lot of economies.. but have you been to Mexico.. it's pretty much all shit already :drama:

modded46
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
And who said he was attacked by Mexicans?? He could have been attacked by Cubans that were vacationing in Mexico.

or more than likely...

It was someone selling time shares who he pissed off.. I wouldn't want to screw with any of those people

:burnout:

modded46
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh and finally...

http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d219163-Reviews-Moon_Palace_Golf_Resort_and_Spa-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Looks like a nice place.. There has to be more to it.. Those grounds are usually well secured.

89coupe
05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
do u really think that that man who has a wife and kid, was looking for trouble?
i dont think so

I know plenty of family men that are complete assholes when they have been drinking, and a handful that love to start shit...so yah...I wouldn't doubt it.

Ice712
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
The only thing bad about Mexico are the Mexicans.

Redlyne_mr2
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
do u really think that that man who has a wife and kid, was looking for trouble?
i dont think so
Youre clueless man

403Gemini
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I find it funny of the people who say they feel so safe in Mexico

Have you ever actually been in Mexico? I'm not talking about the tourist resorts... but actual Mexican cities... I would hardly get the feeling of comfort or safe being in that...

Hakkola
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Foreign Affairs missions in Mexico logged 172 reports of violence against Canadian travellers during the last seven years.

In contrast, the United States — the number one destination of travelling Canadians — reported only 37 attacks on Canadians during that period.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Yet people say Mexico is safer than the US? :rofl: I might suck at math, but even I can figure this one out.

pinoyhero
05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah this is all pretty scary, I think its great that the Canadian government is looking into it but if I were the Mexican government I would be dealing with the culprits and the situation on a severe scale in a public forum. Mexico thrives on tourist dollars and having stuff like this happen can only damage what may be the most important part of their economy.

403Gemini
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Yeah this is all pretty scary, I think its great that the Canadian government is looking into it but if I were the Mexican government I would be dealing with the culprits and the situation on a severe scale in a public forum. Mexico thrives on tourist dollars and having stuff like this happen can only damage what may be the most important part of their economy.

Are you kidding? People will keep pouring into Mexico no matter what happens. The only way people would re-consider is if Mexico was in middle of a war.

msouther
05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
First things first, I feel very bad for the entire Toews family. This was supposed to be a vacation and it turns out being the most tragic moment of their lives.

"The only thing bad about Mexico are the Mexicans."

Very broad statement. Nobody knows for sure if the guy was beat up first of all. Sounds like he was but I don't think it has been confirmed. If he was beat up, do we know that Mexicans did it? If it was Mexican citizens who did it, does that make all 100,000,000 of them bad because of what a couple of people did?

"Have you ever actually been in Mexico? I'm not talking about the tourist resorts... but actual Mexican cities... I would hardly get the feeling of comfort or safe being in that..."

I have been to Cancun, Acapulco, Ixtapa and spent 30 days in Mexico City twice. For those who don't know geography, Mexico City is the Capital City of Mexico and has a population equivalent to 2/3's of Canada or more depending on your source. I felt totally safe whenever I was there. I even went to the now defuct notorious market called Tepito. I was wearing my beach shorts and a florescent yellow Ixtapa shirt which says tourist all over it. I felt a little less safe, but I was basically wearing a bullseye the whole time with my beach attire and totally my fault for dressing that way when entering an area ran by organized crime. Nothing happened though and I got some good deals on merchandise.

Mexico is a safe country but things happen that shouldn't happen just like in any other country around the world. When going to a foreign country though, I think that people have to use a little bit of caution and realize that you might not be able to get away with the same types of freedoms we take for granted in our own countries. I am also extra passionate about Mexico because that is where my wife and daughter are from. All of the family and friends I have met there are wonderful people.

01RedDX
05-10-2007, 12:41 AM

bart
05-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Rx7

cause most of the people who go there think they're hot shit, and their canadian dollar will get them a long way. no. the mexicans are just showing them thats not true. :rolleyes:

4bier
05-10-2007, 02:04 AM
it doesnt matter were you go ... mexico ,italy ,africa ......if you can piss someone off you ll manage to get your ass kiked i ve been to mazatlan seen some shady stuff eg. police selling a handgun to a polonia driver aka cabbie....as long as you mind your own buisness nothing usaully happens.... you go to clubs here and how many fights do you see in a night..my parent are snowbirds live there 6month out of the year if it were that bad im sure they wouldnt go... over a million people vacation there a year so im sure its like that anywhere you travel

403Gemini
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
it doesnt matter were you go ... mexico ,italy ,africa ......if you can piss someone off you ll manage to get your ass kiked i ve been to mazatlan seen some shady stuff eg. police selling a handgun to a polonia driver aka cabbie....as long as you mind your own buisness nothing usaully happens.... you go to clubs here and how many fights do you see in a night..my parent are snowbirds live there 6month out of the year if it were that bad im sure they wouldnt go... over a million people vacation there a year so im sure its like that anywhere you travel

lol poor excuse to compare fights in here clubs vs fights in say mexico. Fights here are usually amoung people who know each other.

Bart summed it up w/ :

Originally posted by bart

cause most of the people who go there think they're hot shit, and their canadian dollar will get them a long way. no. the mexicans are just showing them thats not true. :rolleyes:

However i dont think (well... dont imagine....) it's what happened with the story that the OP linked... but who knows.

dragonone
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
actually i've spoke to several students in the study abroad program and they all said they felt safe in mexico and cuba

but maybe the guy was being a dick? i don't see how they would beat the shit outta you if they didn't get money or some sort of incentive

Lex350
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
Easy fix, Just STOP GOING TO MEXICO. Its garbage down there anyway.

.......then you just go to the wrong places. I've never had a problem down there. I bet my chances are bigger here of getting mugged coming from a bar than they are down there. Like any place when you travel, you have to be aware of your surroundings and mind your behavior.

I vacation there every year in the winter...never had a problem...never saw anything.

Lex350
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts

hahahaha, mexican police are not to be trusted!! Last summer my friend and I got jumped by six mexican police while we were walking from the pier to the hotel in the early evening. They demamded all the money we had, had my friend in handcuffs walking him to the cop car telling us he wasn't going to leave mexico for the next year. Very safe indeed.

judging by recent events on the news, our cops don;t seem any better.;)

GOnSHO
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
the problem is not mexico itself but cancun, its been so commercialized and takin over by big corporations trying to make big money, that crime is up, not just attacks but everything.

and i dont believe the attacker was looking for a canadian but got one, just bad luck for us canadians being the wrong spot

when i go down mexico (once a year) ,puerto vallarta or nayarit, and people know im from canada they are very cheerful and nice. So i dont think its the fact that they were canadian that has gotten so many people hurt in the last little bit but just being in the wrong spot...

codetrap
05-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Maybe they saw that episode of CSI where the group of kids went "fannysmackin" and decided turnabout was fair play?

403Gemini
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

judging by recent events on the news, our cops don;t seem any better.;)

I'll take our cops beating up a drug dealer vs cops who turn a blind eye to a guy getting killed.

FiveFreshFish
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I do my own research before going to any foreign destination. I don't need a government advisory to reiterate what my common sense tells me.

sukito
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Just got back from Moon Palace on Saturday night. The guy's room was in the same building as my group...we were there for a wedding.

The Hotel said nothing about the incident. On the tuesday after the event we saw a bunch of people (looked liked dectitives) finger printing the balcony railing (room was on the main level). We knew something shady had happended but didn't find out till someone from Calgary txt'd us to see if we were ok.

Pretty crazy. It just seems odd to me that all the reports talk about jumping from the second balcony but we saw them doing there investigative work on the main floor???

R-Audi
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
The one other thing I find somewhat fishy.. while the body was still in Mexico there was finger pointing about how he died..
( Beaten/fall)
Now the body has been back in Canada for how long and there hasnt been an update? That leads me to believe that maybe the body showed evidence of a fall.. and they didnt want to go back and change the story. I would think that if it showed strong evidence of a beating, they would be all over the newsd saying so.

People have to figure out, just because you are on holidays, doesnt mean you should act any differently then you would at home.

R-Audi
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
And look what is released today...

Findings by a Canadian mortician in Edmonton says the damage on the body were consistent with a large fall.

So now what does everyone think?
No offense meant to the family, but what was once described as a good family man and a black eye for mexico turns into a drunken-coked up guy that fell off a balcony, loaded with false accusations. People are so quick to point fingers....