PDA

View Full Version : LF: Fence builder (SMALL JOB)

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey everybody, looking for someone that's already in the fence building business who wants a small 1-2 day job for a weekend project.

Here's the break down... http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/fence0001.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/fence0002.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/fence0003.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/fence0004.jpg

Problem: Fence leaning towards other side.

Cause of problem: 4 * 4 posts are not cemented into the ground. Rather, a 5" diameter concrete "pad", and then metal anchor and then the posts went on top of the concrete "pad" and screwed onto the metal anchor.

Damage effect: FOUR 4*4 posts, FIVE "sections" with each section average 16 boards, TWO 2 * 4 cross members in each section.

The repair required (I've discussed this with the other owner): REUSE the 80 fence boards (5 section * 16 boards) ... take out FOUR 4*4 posts from metal anchor, leave current concrete "pad"... and RE-BORE/RE-DRILL 4 new post holes beside the current 5" concrete "pads".... Proper cement 4 new posts, new 2*4 cross members (since the distance will be shifted when we move the posts), new screws (4 per board... total 320), and reuse 80 fence boards (replace the odd 1 or 2 of course)

So LOOKING FOR: (I broke it down in order of PRIORITY, so you don't have to take on the entire "JOB", but just what you can do, and the price; as I need to get this approved from the other owner as well; i.e. if you only want to drill the 4 post holes, then name ur price):

(1) - Carefully take down roughly 80 fence boards to be reused (4 screws per board = 320 total screws not to be reused tho)... Take down of FOUR 4*4 posts, and remove FOUR metal anchor from cement (probably only bolts or concrete screws)
(2) - Someone that has one of those gas powered "hole driller" to make FOUR holes in the ground for 4*4 (I know I can rent one from HD, BUT I got a carpeted bed rug in my truck)... OR someone willing to do it the old school style, I've got one of those "one-man" two sticks digger.
(3) - Mix cement for FOUR holes... Set FOUR 4*4 into FOUR holes.

^^^^^----- Day 1

(4) Trim 4*4 posts to height if necessary. Install TEN 2*4 cross members between each posts (upper and lower in each section)... Install roughly 80 fence boards (4 screws/board = total 320)

^^^^^^^^^ Day 2

It's mostly drilling the 4 holes that's important. PM me with what you can do and offer (i.e. discount on materials wink wink) or just labour... and $ you want need... keeping in mind I'll be there helping too. :) (and I need to run cost to other owner)

Sorry, just a small job. Like even if you like to work 1 day on the weekend for a little $... help me take down, and drill holes, and cement, we'll be good :thumbsup:

House is in Shawnessy (wouldn't be worth it if you live far tho, sorry)

Project time/date: ANYTIME after May 15th, 2007 at YOUR convenience. Weeknights, weekend, weekdays, doesn't matter... non-emergency build.

Thanks.

Tom Co.

Mixalot27
05-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Have you considered just cementing new posts inside of the existing problem ones and than bolting them together? This way you wouldn't have to take the fence apart at all. It might not look quite as pretty but I think it will work. And you could do it yourself in a couple hours for very little money.

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
The fence would be in way (for digging new holes), I understand what you mean.

The job itself isn't hard (from my non-professional fence building knowledge), but it's not too "short" either.

ChokeEmOut
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

The job itself isn't hard (from my non-professional fence building knowledge), but it's not too "short" either.

It's not really a "small" job by the sounds of it.

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ChokeEmOut

It's not really a "small" job by the sounds of it.

Yea it's not really a "BIG" job either... sooooo what was a suppose to say? IMHO it's a small job for someone that built fences for a living (only 5 section AS COMPARED TO 20-30 sections that surrounds an average home)... READ OP, looking for someone that already is in the fence biz, and wouldn't mind 1-2 day extra work on their spare time; this should be a piece of cake for "THEM"...

Thanks for the non-constructive comment tho. :thumbsup:

Mixalot27
05-08-2007, 05:46 PM

I don't understand how the fence will be in the way. Maybe your not understanding what I am meaning. I live in an apt in Midnapore which has a fence in behind which had this same leaning problem. They installed metal posts next to the existing posts, and than attached them. I can give you the address and you can drive by and look if you want.

Weapon_R
05-08-2007, 06:01 PM

You can dig next to the existing posts and then either a) secure the old posts by pouring concrete around it or b) put in a new post and then bolt the old post to the new post. I don't see why the existing post would be in the way, you'd be digging on the side of it.

Mixalot27
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
^^^Yes exactly. Ok here I put together a crudely made paint diagram of how I would do it. I couldn't edit the pics you posted on this thread, so I had to find some from the net. But you get the idea.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/386/fenceleanok3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TomcoPDR
05-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes, Ic Ic... :thumbsup:

Might do that too. Well, looks like I'm at this alone anyways, lol it's all good.

cocoabrova
05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
PM'ed

Mixalot27
05-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Yes, Ic Ic... :thumbsup:

Might do that too. Well, looks like I'm at this alone anyways, lol it's all good.

Understand that this is just a suggestion on how to do it on the cheap. If you want to do it right and spend some $$$ its probably better to basically take it apart and totally redo it like you were saying. However from reading your other thread about how its a rental property and the neighbor is kind of a dick anyway, I figured you might want a cheaper solution. If you decide you want to do a cheap "quick fix" like this and you need an extra hand to manage the Auger or hold the posts level while you cement them or prop up the fence while you bolt it in, let me know. The cost will be around $20 or so for some pizza and beer. I don't have time to help you out for a couple of days but if you just need a hand for a couple hours no worries. I'm just in Midnapore too so its close by anyways.

TomcoPDR
05-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Mixalot and Cocoa :thumbsup:

After personally speaking with the neighbour, she (the owner) seems not as bad as the tenants claim. (when I wrote the other dispute question thread; I'll do a finish write up on that thread when the project's done; got some really great advice from some City of Calgary employed Beyond members too)

So anyways, equipped with those knowledge, I kindly apporached her 2 days ago, and laid everything out on the table (that WE know the rules, etc.. etc... and don't mind going HALF as long as she's on board)... and she SEEMS TO BE accepting of the facts.

Might end up offering her my labour (my truck, my gas, my tools, my pickup of materials) for exchange her part in material costs. Which is only 4 posts, 2*4's and cement.

BY THE WAY, how many bags does ONE 2-3 feet deep post take? (I'm guessing 2 bags/hole)

Mixalot27
05-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah 2-3 bags of concrete per hole. You should also probably buy some gravel and put a couple shovels full in the bottom of each hole.