PDA

View Full Version : STi Launch Control - vid

Ekliptix
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
sounds pretty good and took of well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZuWXh5k2Fk

The Cosworth
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
that is cool, would that be a lot of work?

it says on the bottom he put it into the ECU, wouldnt that mean that it is just a lowered rev limiter, so once he launches he would have to turn it off?

Ekliptix
05-08-2007, 09:16 PM
The ecu would be set in launch mode so once he lets the clutch out, the higher rev limiter would become active.

xrayvsn
05-09-2007, 12:32 AM
That is a sweet launch. It is so hard to get the launch right on these cars.

I did not realize that ECUtek would support launch control and a secondary rev limiter. That gives promise that the other ECU reflashes available for Subarus may find a way to do this as well. For those who don't know, ECUtek is a form of stock ECU reflash that you can do on Subarus, but there are other options for engine management that will support launch control, like the UTEC (piggyback) or Hydra (a standalone).

I know there was talk of the open source option (Enginuity) having launch control on upcoming updates, but I haven't heard much about it on the Subaru or STI forums of late.

Ekliptix
05-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Access Port is supposed to be coming out with it.

ca18det240sx
05-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Its actually quite a simple thing to do. Win at autodream setup a ca18det ecu to do launch control. It's just two wires coming out of the ecu, when they touch, 4000rpm rev limit, when they dont, unlimited. Set it up to use the factory clutch safety as a switch, and voila, two stage rev limit

RickDaTuner
05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
now some one should do a video with spark cut launch control, 10 times louder and entertaining:thumbsup:

teggypimp95
05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I had launch controll on my rsx-s. It was awesome. Perfect launch everytime.

canadianskyline
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Dude, this is not launch control. Launch control detects traction loss and cuts ignition (in most cases) to keep you in the sweet spot of traction.

This is a rev limiter, works good for consistant launches, but definately not "launch control".

Ekliptix
05-10-2007, 07:52 PM
What you're talking about sounds like traction control.

A rev limiter is what comes on all cars from factory. This guy has a program that limits rpm below the factory rev limiter when certain conditions are applied (ecu in launch control mode, clutch depressed, in 1st gear). Anyway, I didn't name the video and they call it launch control so I did too.

hjr
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx
Its actually quite a simple thing to do. Win at autodream setup a ca18det ecu to do launch control. It's just two wires coming out of the ecu, when they touch, 4000rpm rev limit, when they dont, unlimited. Set it up to use the factory clutch safety as a switch, and voila, two stage rev limit

so doesnt that mean that you engine cuts to 4000 rpm when the clutch goes in for shifts? or is in not an issue

silver_gs-R
05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
god i wish i could launch my car like that lol.

canadianskyline
05-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
What you're talking about sounds like traction control.

A rev limiter is what comes on all cars from factory. This guy has a program that limits rpm below the factory rev limiter when certain conditions are applied (ecu in launch control mode, clutch depressed, in 1st gear). Anyway, I didn't name the video and they call it launch control so I did too.

No shit.....i know how a 2step rev limiter works.

This is not "launch control". A "launch controller" does more than just a 2 step rev limiter.

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by canadianskyline

No shit.....i know how a 2step rev limiter works.

This is not "launch control". A "launch controller" does more than just a 2 step rev limiter.

I think you might be getting Traction control and Launch control mixed up.

Traction control uses the brakes to control wheel spin

Launch control is just another rev limiter

I think...

EDIT:

http://www.q.co.za/2001/2001/11/16-bmw.html

This appears to be what launch control is

xrayvsn
05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by hjr

so doesnt that mean that you engine cuts to 4000 rpm when the clutch goes in for shifts? or is in not an issue

Depends on how the engine management is setup. I know that on a UTEC you can set up a two-stage system. One rev limiter for launching, another for flat foot shifting. So for the launch you could have it set to 5000 rpm and 6000 rpm as the second stage once the car gets moving. I even think you can select if it uses fuel or spark cut to achieve the desired results.

I'll let Rickdatuner chime in here, since I believe he uses UTEC. I have only read about it on the Subaru boards.

hjr
05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
well that guy was talking about using a simple switch on the clutch to activate it. maybe cause some problems? i dont know

modded46
05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I personally think it sounds like a old coffee perkulator.. no thanks :)

This is what a launch should sound like..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HutVZ0RsnV8

teggypimp95
05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by canadianskyline
Dude, this is not launch control. Launch control detects traction loss and cuts ignition (in most cases) to keep you in the sweet spot of traction.

This is a rev limiter, works good for consistant launches, but definately not "launch control".

Yeah you are getting it mixed up. Traction controll will just let the tires spin enough to not lose traction and will cut out engine power to do so. (alot of cars have this for winter)

Launch controll is as simple as a chip. With the clutch in, and in first gear. When your foot is to the floor it will bounce off only around 5000 rpm. WHen you drop the clutch, it will continue to not let you past that untill you have reached 40 km, then it turns off and off you go, right into vtec. Its really cool and works really well.

RickDaTuner
12-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Depends on how the engine management is setup. I know that on a UTEC you can set up a two-stage system. One rev limiter for launching, another for flat foot shifting. So for the launch you could have it set to 5000 rpm and 6000 rpm as the second stage once the car gets moving. I even think you can select if it uses fuel or spark cut to achieve the desired results.

I'll let Rickdatuner chime in here, since I believe he uses UTEC. I have only read about it on the Subaru boards.

Yeah the UTEC has two settings, one for launch control and the other for flat foot shifting, which works very similar to anti-lag.

The UTEC engine management system can be set up to allow the engine to load up with the car actually moving, allowing it to hit roughly 12psi @WOT while waiting to launch, you can adjust what rpm it will hold the load at, in order to maximize traction and 60ft times.

In the case of the STi and most other AWD plat forms, a sensor that would detect wheel slip would not really be necessary until you reach power levels of over 600hp, with the right set of tires and a proper launch, wheel spin will be minimal.

I know for a fact that more sophisticated veh use a mix of a launch controller and a traction control device to help tune the veh launch capabilities, but the use of a wheel slip traction control device is really never favoured as most systems reduce engine load in order to regain traction, which causes a great deal of time loss, that being said it is always best to just be under the wheels maximum traction point to avoid having to back off the throttle.