PDA

View Full Version : where would you rather work?

TimG
05-09-2007, 07:54 AM
A discussion came up yesterday over lunch.

Is it better to work for a privately owned company or a publicly owned company?

pros for the private company: things can get done quicker without all of the BS red tape

cons for the private company: every cent that you spend on equipment and supplies is essentially money that's coming out of the owner's pocket.

pros for the public company: spending money to make money is not as big a deal. i.e the money doesn't come directly out of the "owner's" pocket.

cons for the big company: red tape and bureaucracy.

comments?

asuth077
05-09-2007, 08:12 AM
There is definately a lot of "red tape" in publicly owned companies. Especially now considering all of the SOX legislation.

Given that though, I enjoy working for a company that focuses on a significant amount of growth each year and has to be accountable for meeting that target.

I think a lot of it comes down to where in the company you are working as well. It is also nice to work for companies that provide stock-options to employees.

There are a lot more important things to look for in a company than that thought. And there are many privately owned companies who still run in a similar style. It all depends on size really.

BigMass
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
trust me when i say this, it's all about the people you work with. The rest is just details

TimG
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
assuming all other things are equal. no dickhead co-workers who's mission in life is to make you miserable, etc.

Tik-Tok
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Private, unless of course the owner is a complete asshat.

topmade
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
trust me when i say this, it's all about the people you work with. The rest is just details

Agreed, don't care because it all depends on the people you work with.

thrasher22
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Private really depends on the owner. There can be a hundred knowledgeable and experianced opinions on a matter, but at the end of the day, its his/her decision. Which can be frusterating.

While there is alot of red tape in corporations, its just as bad with private if everything has to pass through the owners.