PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with deerfoot past few mornings

Hollywood
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Southbound deerfoot yesterday and today.

What the hell, at 7:15 its back to back, stop and go, first gear most of the way, no accidents. Usally takes me 35-30 min today 50 min!!!

WTF I want to stab someone!!

QuasarCav
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm feeling the same thing going northbound in the mornings. I used to be able to merge on to Deerfoot from Anderson with ease but now there is about 30% more people. Going home is the same thing.

legendboy
05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
werd i love how i live 12km from work and it takes me 30mins minimum to get to work in the morning :thumbsdow

MintRacer
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
ppls don't know how to merge properly... either leaver earlier or later.

Tik-Tok
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing more people are driving to work due to the whole Transit Union situation. Although they've stated they won't go full strike mode, most people don't want to chance it.

Super_Geo
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Maybe people are afraid their buses will be late because the transit workers had their strike vote, so now they're all driving in to be safe?

I dunno, I'm a 6 minute walk from work, all gridlocked downtown traffic means to me is that I can cross streets wherever I want and just slip inbetween the non-moving cars :D

topmade
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I'm guessing more people are driving to work due to the whole Transit Union situation. Although they've stated they won't go full strike mode, most people don't want to chance it.

Plus the shutdown of centre st. for construction between 16 ave and 14 ave doesn't help either as most people coming from the far north will jump on deerfoot now. Even this morning they had Centre st. between 5th and 6th ave closed to for construction as well.

sputnik
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Going northbound has been retarded.

I attribute it to the fact that everyone slows to a CRAWL going over the calf robe bridge because the sun is in their eyes.

:banghead:

modded46
05-09-2007, 01:22 PM
When you hear comments like..

" OH MY GOD, I have to drive on THE DEERFOOT"

That might be the first indication that you should try and alternate route and stop slowing everyone else down!!

Hollywood
05-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by topmade

Plus the shutdown of centre st. for construction between 16 ave and 14 ave doesn't help either as most people coming from the far north will jump on deerfoot now. Even this morning they had Centre st. between 5th and 6th ave closed to for construction as well.

Ya I think thats it actually the 16th ave thing. Thats supposed to be for 3 months too! FAWK!!:banghead:

toyboy88
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by topmade

Yup, my thoughts too. 4th street and edmonton trail are crazy too now! it's like one slow line......... :banghead:

Rx7
05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
memorial has gotten busier too

Xtrema
05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Shit, I knew that's going to happen when I see the Centre St shut down sign. And the strike isn't helping. I guess I'll have to work from home for a few days a week.

Redlyne_mr2
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
hahaha Calgary sounds savage lately.. glad I travel out of the city for work during the week.

bart
05-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
hahaha Calgary sounds savage lately.. glad I travel out of the city for work during the week.

glad i don't work, and sleep in until 2pm every day ;)

JordanAndrew
05-10-2007, 01:40 AM
^^^ must be nice. :rolleyes:

but for most of us, we all have to work and earn for a living.

Annoyingrob
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
It's threads like this that make me glad I work fucked up hours. I get off work in 3 hours, and I'll be going out of downtown, missing all of the traffic :)

~Leah~
05-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I think it's cuz drivers are fucking mental the past couple of days. Like absolutely crazy. I almost ended up in about 5 accidents yesterday... never had a close call in the past 5 years even... it's really pissing me off to.

rage2
05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Crowchild is packed at 6:15am too. No weird construction that could cause it, so I'd say it's people scared of the transit strike.

BigMass
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
traffic is bad always, but when you decide to block off two major roads like 16th and Center what do you expect. It's going to be a rolling nightmare. Wait until the Encana project starts going full blast and roads in downtown start getting closed off.

Any project that creates a huge interruption to our infrastructure should be fast tracked with around the clock work and during weekends to minimize downtime. The projects in this city are legitimate, but the time it takes to complete them is totally unacceptable

Annoyingrob
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Crowchild is packed at 6:15am too. No weird construction that could cause it, so I'd say it's people scared of the transit strike. I don't get it. They're not on strike yet, why drive? Drive when there IS a strike, not when you could still be taking the train.

Euro838
05-10-2007, 07:57 AM
The unfortunate part of all this is that ALL other routes will take just as long. If you try cutting into some smaller roads, it won't help because they aren't designed to handle that much traffic so you'll have more lights, slower speed limit. There isn't much alternative in terms of reducing travel time by taking different routes. The only way to reduce travel time is to hit these areas no later than 6:30-6:45 am or after 8:30 am. Otherwise, you're just trying to get into work like everyone else. Well, hopefully we are seeing the worst of it and it'll get better by mid-summer.

van
05-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
I don't get it. They're not on strike yet, why drive? Drive when there IS a strike, not when you could still be taking the train.

Cause most people are misinformed as to when the strike is actually happening, so they assume it's the safest bet rather than being late because of CT that they will just drive themselves.

I'm glad I leave for work at around 6:00am, only takes me 15 minutes to get there and there is absolutely minimal traffic. Then after work at around 3:00pm I leave and even then there is minimal traffic going home (10-15 minutes).

If I were to leave at say, 7:00am - it'd probably take me like 30 minutes to get to work. If I leave after 3:30pm, I'd be stuck downtown for a little while lol.

in*10*se
05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
i'm glad i live downtown. :bigpimp:

JamesV888
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
start getting up at 4:00am and be at work by 5:00am even though you won't start working until 8:00am...

life in calgary.

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
Why because its even busier? The roads are trash? Any its dirty as hell 365 days a year?

l8braker
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM

x2

Hollywood
05-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Any project that creates a huge interruption to our infrastructure should be fast tracked with around the clock work and during weekends to minimize downtime. The projects in this city are legitimate, but the time it takes to complete them is totally unacceptable

:werd:

I fell like stabbing someone!

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Sorry man misread this thought you said youre glad you live in Edmonton lol

Annoyingrob
05-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by defekt1

they assume it's the safest bet rather than being late because of CT that they will just drive themselves.
Ironic isn't it. They're making themselves later by doing so.