PDA

View Full Version : My Buddy's 12 piston WP brakes on IS350

Zephyr
05-10-2007, 01:21 AM
New Wp Pro 12 piston BBK & 6 piston rear. Here the specs.

Front: NS11SP19
2pcs Forged Aluminum 12pot Calipers
2pcs 385mm x 30mm Direction Cross Drill Rotors
2pcs 275mm Aluminum Center Hats
2pcs Special Brackets for 12pot Caliper
2pcs Stainless Steel Brake Lines
8pcs Street Sport Performance Pads

Rear: NS11RRGP18 (New Big 6pot)
2pcs Forged Aluminum Big 6pot Calipers
2pcs 360mm x 30mm Direction Cross Drill Rotors
2pcs Casting Hand Drum Center Hats
2pcs Special Brackets for Caliper
2pcs Stainless Steel Brake Lines
4pcs Street Sport Performance Pads

Now the pics. Here the parts..

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0800.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0801.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0802.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0803.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0804.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0805.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0806.jpg

Zephyr
05-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Here the install...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0808.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0818.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0814.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/IMG_0811.jpg

And the final product...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/DSC01136.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/DSC01138.jpg

Enjoy...

jdmXSI
05-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Those are......:drool: :drool: ummm.... like SEX!:poosie:

Zephyr
05-10-2007, 01:24 AM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4550/ttxz1.jpg

Just showing off how we do it in southern california. Yes, it's one of THE first boosted 2IS outside of Japan.

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2007, 01:32 AM
wow thats nuts...more braking power than that car will ever need but looks great none the less

l/l/rX
05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
LOL 12 piston breaks? you'd just have to like...tap on them and you'd come to a complete stop.

Annoyingrob
05-10-2007, 05:26 AM
So how big of a wheel does he need to clear those things :confused:

Euro_Trash
05-10-2007, 07:43 AM
He likes his stickers

legendboy
05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Just showing off how we do it in southern california. Yes, it's one of THE first boosted 2IS outside of Japan.

u sure about that?

spyce
05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Ive seen his car before on the IS boards. Those are 19" Volk Progressive ME's in custom dark chrome finish right?
And he has a supercharger?

That car is so :bigpimp:

hoamic11
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
dddaaammnnn those are sexy, i want some now....:(

EG_Civic
05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
what size of wheels are you running?

962 kid
05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
holy stupid :D

arian_ma
05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
What's the point of that? Bling?
Those are kickass brakes nevertheless.

syeve
05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by EG_Civic
what size of wheels are you running?

Read two posts up from your post. 19's apparently.

Originally posted by arian_ma
What's the point of that? Bling?

You're on a car enthusiast forum and you need to ask that?

Those brakes are KICKIN'. Period.

Zephyr
05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

u sure about that?

Yep, Blitz came out with a supercharger, but not for public, then LMS did, this car has the first one, and the TOMs one that just came out only work with the JPN ECU

yea and it's progressive MEs 19s

legendboy
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
^ ahh cool, i automatically think turbo when someone says boost :)

Zephyr
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
^ ahh cool, i automatically think turbo when someone says boost :)

i dont think anyone has a turboed one yet though, this car isn't really friendly to being force fed...

Lex350
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
wow thats nuts...more braking power than that car will ever need but looks great none the less

probably more braking power than tire.Unless you run very sticky rubber you won't get the benifit of that monster brake kit.

speedracer
05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Very cool.

A bit disappointed at the pads used for the caliper for the 12 piston design. Would have been more interesting with 12 pads but I would imagine the pads would cost more than the caliper after that.

trieu
05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Are there more pictures of the car? :drool:

EK 2.0
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Very cool.

A bit disappointed at the pads used for the caliper for the 12 piston design. Would have been more interesting with 12 pads but I would imagine the pads would cost more than the caliper after that.

we all say "bitchin', kick-ass and ballin"....

But the racecar driver comes in and becomes all technical hahaha...

Annoyingrob
05-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
you won't get the benifit of that monster brake kit.
Better heat dissapation for extended braking. Your brakes won't fade on the track :)

962 kid
05-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Better heat dissapation for extended braking. Your brakes won't fade on the track :)

As if that car (or any car for that matter) would ever need 12 piston calipers. These are nothing but pure bling factor.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

As if that car (or any car for that matter) would ever need 12 piston calipers. These are nothing but pure bling factor.

Yeah, they're pure bling factor but total overkill streetwise.

962 kid
05-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Yeah, they're pure bling factor but total overkill streetwise.

Haha that's what I meant... they're there for no reason other than to make the car look cool. 12 piston calipers are overkill streetwise or otherwise.

I guess one could call them rice ;)

arian_ma
05-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Haha that's what I meant... they're there for no reason other than to make the car look cool. 12 piston calipers are overkill streetwise or otherwise.

I guess one could call them rice ;)

Got your flame suit on?
:rofl:

civic_stylez
05-12-2007, 11:01 AM
that car is teh sex...

silver_gs-R
05-12-2007, 11:12 AM
wow :drool: absolutely sick.

amazing.

katana9x4
05-12-2007, 11:16 AM
They would be overkill in most situations, but if hes tracking the car (I doubt). Then they would prove very useful in preventing brake fade, however you'd have to be running high heat non glycol (silicone based DOT 5 I think) brake fluid as well, othersie you'd risk boiling the brake fluid.

I remember hearing that drilled or slotted rotors are less effective than they used to be, because their primary purpose was to expel the gases released by the brake pads through them... and most of todays brake pads don't release as much if any gases at all.

Don't quote me on that last paragraph, more so just speculation to see if anyone else knows anything about it.

962 kid
05-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by katana9x4
They would be overkill in most situations, but if hes tracking the car (I doubt). Then they would prove very useful in preventing brake fade, however you'd have to be running high heat non glycol (silicone based DOT 5 I think) brake fluid as well, othersie you'd risk boiling the brake fluid.

I remember hearing that drilled or slotted rotors are less effective than they used to be, because their primary purpose was to expel the gases released by the brake pads through them... and most of todays brake pads don't release as much if any gases at all.

Don't quote me on that last paragraph, more so just speculation to see if anyone else knows anything about it.

lol, they are overkill in any situation whether he tracks the car or not. Secondly, silicon-based brake fluid is bad for anything but show cars, as the fluid itself is compressible (and DOT 5.1 has the same BPs). Thirdly, slotted/drilled rotors may be less effective in gas expulsion, but they still have several other purposes that make them desirable over blanks.

max_boost
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, just wow! :eek:

iceburns288
05-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
LOL 12 piston breaks? you'd just have to like...tap on them and you'd come to a complete stop.
The number of pistons has little to do with the braking power. It's more to do with even braking force distribution and handling the heat given off in the braking process.
Of course, the owner of this car bought them because... it's a show car.

EDIT: wow, somehow I missed the entire second half of this thread. This has already been discussed :D

katana9x4
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM

lol, they are overkill in any situation whether he tracks the car or not. Secondly, silicon-based brake fluid is bad for anything but show cars, as the fluid itself is compressible (and DOT 5.1 has the same BPs). Thirdly, slotted/drilled rotors may be less effective in gas expulsion, but they still have several other purposes that make them desirable over blanks.

How would they be overkill at the track?

Anything that can help with brake fade I'd certainly consider...

Also DOT 5 silicon brake fluid is not bad, and I don't think it's compressable either.

DOT 5 fluid helps to seal the rubber components against water molecules penetrating through them, but it is not hygroscopic like glycol based brake fluid.

Any water that does enter the system will not be absorbed. Instead the water sinks to the bottom of the fluid and settles out, collecting to the lowest point in the system. The moisture winds up in the wheel cylinders and calipers, closest to the heat of braking - which causes corrosion etc. If you change your fluid often though, there won't be corrosion.

This is one of the reasons DOT 5 fluid is not commonly used, except in applications which require very high heat handling abilities, such as racing.

DOT 5 would actually be worse in show cars, as it wouldn't get changed very often, allowing corrosion to occur.

DOT 5.1 is glycol based, initially it has the same BP as 5, but since it is glycol based and hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture readily, and lowers its BP... however corrosion will not occur as fast with glycol based fluids.

Slotted drilled rotors are better for gas expulsion, I was questioning their effectiveness now however, since I "heard" that most new brake pads don't release much, if any gases.

Therefore, there would be no reason to having slotted/drilled rotors... unless you care to enlighten us as to what the other benefits of them are?

Lexxan
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
That car is ugly.

BoS_DC2
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
:love: That's a nice brake set

katana9x4
05-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lexxan
That car is ugly.

I guarantee 99% of people here would rather have this car than your avalanche.

gpomp
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
i never even knew they made 12 piston brakes. the fastest cars in the world (enzo, carrera gt) only use 6 piston. 12 seems like a waste of money, but i guess that doesn't matter if you've got it.

Toms-SC
05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Over kill? Hell's ya!

962 kid
05-12-2007, 11:45 PM

How would they be overkill at the track?

Anything that can help with brake fade I'd certainly consider...

o·ver·kill (vr-kl) 3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end

Do you think that a good set of 6 or 4 piston calipers would not be completely and totally sufficient for any track use? What makes this car so much more intense that it requires 12 pistons to stop, when Formula 1 cars, Ferrari Enzos, GT2s etc etc can make due with 6?

Also DOT 5 silicon brake fluid is not bad, and I don't think it's compressable either.

DOT 5 fluid helps to seal the rubber components against water molecules penetrating through them, but it is not hygroscopic like glycol based brake fluid.

Any water that does enter the system will not be absorbed. Instead the water sinks to the bottom of the fluid and settles out, collecting to the lowest point in the system. The moisture winds up in the wheel cylinders and calipers, closest to the heat of braking - which causes corrosion etc. If you change your fluid often though, there won't be corrosion.

This is one of the reasons DOT 5 fluid is not commonly used, except in applications which require very high heat handling abilities, such as racing.

DOT 5 would actually be worse in show cars, as it wouldn't get changed very often, allowing corrosion to occur.

DOT 5.1 is glycol based, initially it has the same BP as 5, but since it is glycol based and hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture readily, and lowers its BP... however corrosion will not occur as fast with glycol based fluids.

blah blah blah... race cars do not use DOT 5 fluids so there goes your argument. "We won’t even discuss DOT 5 fluids as they are completely unacceptable to the high-performance enthusiast" Read that here (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml)

Slotted drilled rotors are better for gas expulsion, I was questioning their effectiveness now however, since I "heard" that most new brake pads don't release much, if any gases.

Therefore, there would be no reason to having slotted/drilled rotors... unless you care to enlighten us as to what the other benefits of them are?

New brake pads still release gases, and why do you say that slotted is better than cross-drilled? Since you seem to spend so much time reading crap on the internet and then spewing incorrect info all over here, I'm sure you can find out for yourself the benefits of slotted/drilled over blanks.

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 12:46 AM

o·ver·kill (vr-kl) 3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end

Do you think that a good set of 6 or 4 piston calipers would not be completely and totally sufficient for any track use? What makes this car so much more intense that it requires 12 pistons to stop, when Formula 1 cars, Ferrari Enzos, GT2s etc etc can make due with 6?

blah blah blah... race cars do not use DOT 5 fluids so there goes your argument. "We won’t even discuss DOT 5 fluids as they are completely unacceptable to the high-performance enthusiast" Read that here (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml)

New brake pads still release gasses, and why do you say that slotted is better than cross-drilled? Since you seem to spend so much time reading crap on the internet and then spewing incorrect info all over here, I'm sure you can find out for yourself the benefits of slotted/drilled over blanks.

1. I'm entitled to my opinion on whether I think they are overkill or not, so you shouldn't really be that concerned with it.

2. I don't need to read through some long assed site telling me what I already know

3. Reading > You, I never said slotted or drilled rotors were one better than the other.

4. Aside from gas expulsion (new brake pads produce very little gas due to improvements in the bonding agents used in the pads) there are no major benefits to using a slotted/cross driller rotor.

In fact they are more prone to thermal stress fatigue due to the smaller amount of surface area caused by the slotting, and cracking where the drilled holes are due to the smaller amount of metal - making heat transfer withing the rotor less effective.

If anything I'd say blanks would a MORE effective rotor for these same reasons.

BTW I don't read up on this stuff on "tha intanet" -- I will being going into my second year as an automotive service technician at sait in sept.

:guns:

962 kid
05-13-2007, 01:10 AM

1. I'm entitled to my opinion on whether I think they are overkill or not, so you shouldn't really be that concerned with it.

2. I don't need to read through some long assed site telling me what I already know

3. Reading > You, I never said slotted or drilled rotors were one better than the other.

4. Aside from gas expulsion (new brake pads produce very little gas due to improvements in the bonding agents used in the pads) there are no major benefits to using a slotted/cross driller rotor.

In fact they are more prone to thermal stress fatigue due to the smaller amount of surface area caused by the slotting, and cracking where the drilled holes are due to the smaller amount of metal - making heat transfer withing the rotor less effective.

If anything I'd say blanks would a MORE effective rotor.

BTW I don't read up on this stuff on "tha intanet" -- I will being going into my second year as an automotive service technician at sait in sept.

Well then, your year at SAIT has taught you more than I will ever be able to comprehend :( You posted incorrect/uninformed info (even you said it: "Don't quote me on that last paragraph, more so just speculation to see if anyone else knows anything about it."). I corrected you and posted sources to my claims in case you think I'm wrong or whatever :dunno:

Read the site, it'll tell you that basically you're wrong, unless you think the section of "high performance aftermarket big brake kits" in your first year textbook is better informed than stoptech. Maybe you skipped the parts in there where you would find out that surface area doesn't matter on rotors, as swept area is what is really important. Maybe you also missed the parts where it says that quality drilled rotors aren't really drilled, they have the holes cast in place which stop premature cracking due to stress risers (not the smaller amount of metal, like you say). You probably also missed the parts about the best braking cars in the world (Porsche) using drilled rotors, and how slotted and drilled rotors help with cooling and braking feel for example. Anyways, I think I'm done with this thread as I don't want it locked and you don't seem like the kinda guy to just back down and admit he's wrong.

Pimp overkill brakes :thumbsup:

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Well then, your year at SAIT has taught you more than I will ever be able to comprehend :( You posted incorrect/uninformed info (even you said it: "Don't quote me on that last paragraph, more so just speculation to see if anyone else knows anything about it."). I corrected you and posted sources to my claims in case you think I'm wrong or whatever :dunno:

Read the site, it'll tell you that basically you're wrong, unless you think the section of "high performance aftermarket big brake kits" in your first year textbook is better informed than stoptech. Maybe you skipped the parts in there where you would find out that surface area doesn't matter on rotors, as swept area is what is really important. Maybe you also missed the parts where it says that quality drilled rotors aren't really drilled, they have the holes cast in place which stop premature cracking due to stress risers (not the smaller amount of metal, like you say). You probably also missed the parts about the best braking cars in the world (Porsche) using drilled rotors, and how slotted and drilled rotors help with cooling and braking feel for example. Anyways, I think I'm done with this thread as I don't want it locked and you don't seem like the kinda guy to just back down and admit he's wrong.

Pimp overkill brakes :thumbsup:

Honestly guy, if you weren't such an ass about the whole thing in the first place, I prolly woulda left it alone.

Neither F-1 or Nascar use drilled rotors, and last time I checked, F-1 cars were the best braking cars.

EDIT LOL also, drilling rotors will not help with cooling, sorry guy, it takes away metal that is needed for heat transfer. Sooo yea, pretty much your whole post there was wrong.

Zephyr
05-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Brake setup seemed to make a huge impression on the crowd at Toyotafest this year. The VP of Lexus NA was impressed by it as well, same with the director of marketing for Lexus. We're currently in talks with Toyota/Lexus now, maybe you guys will see this car again in the future :)

IS-F is a sexy car btw in person. 8 speed direct shift gearbox, wow and 420 bhp on 19's BBS and 6 piston brembos. Canadian market will get the same as well and release will follow right after for you guys according to the marketing director I spoke with today

GTS Jeff
05-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Katana, you're an idiot. There's a guy on dorikaze.com that is an even bigger idiot than you though. He actually tried using silicone brake fluid and realized that his car had no braking power after the fluid change. Silicone brake fluid absorbs air into its intermolecular spaces and becomes very compressible.

95EagleAWD
05-13-2007, 05:49 AM

New brake pads still release gases, and why do you say that slotted is better than cross-drilled? Since you seem to spend so much time reading crap on the internet and then spewing incorrect info all over here, I'm sure you can find out for yourself the benefits of slotted/drilled over blanks.

Find me a racecar that uses drilled brakes. They're for "cool factor" on the street only.

Pretty much everything out there uses slotted rotors to help gas expulsion from the pads.

962 kid
05-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Find me a racecar that uses drilled brakes. They're for "cool factor" on the street only.

Pretty much everything out there uses slotted rotors to help gas expulsion from the pads.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/porsche/porsche_images/porsche_rs_spyder_23_07_05.jpg

The Cosworth
05-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Holy shit chill everyone....

We dont even know WHY he put the brakes on his car so the argument is completely mute.

BTW to the OP, ficking NICE car, they look super badass! :thumbsup: I love the IS's, cant wait until I get some more money and upgrade

EK 2.0
05-13-2007, 09:24 AM

What do you know about hi-po brakes??...You drive a go-kart for gosh sakes.;)

Honestly guy, if you weren't such an ass about the whole thing in the first place, I prolly woulda left it alone.

Neither F-1 or Nascar use drilled rotors, and last time I checked, F-1 cars were the best braking cars.

F1 whips are the best braking in the world because of 4 factors.

1. Amazing Racing Tire technology.
2. Rotors bigger than Importz 26" Armada Rims.
3. Those rotors I mentioned above??...They are Carbon
4. The cars weigh less than I do after thanksgiving dinner.

Redlyne_mr2
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM

If anything I'd say blanks would a MORE effective rotor for these same reasons.

I think you need to spend more time on the racetrack and less time in the classroom ,sorry man

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Katana, you're an idiot. There's a guy on dorikaze.com that is an even bigger idiot than you though. He actually tried using silicone brake fluid and realized that his car had no braking power after the fluid change. Silicone brake fluid absorbs air into its intermolecular spaces and becomes very compressible.

Thanks, I didn't know that (I actually didn't).

However, I don't think that qualifies me as an idiot.

I still stand by the rest of my arguments.

And to keep this post mildly on track, put more pictures of car up!

:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
05-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that (I actually didn't).

However, I don't think that qualifies me as an idiot.

I still stand by the rest of my arguments.

And to keep this post mildly on track, put more pictures of car up!

:thumbsup: Well, I believe someone posted a link to the stoptech website which you shirked as "something you already know" but there's a ton of tech info there, as well as info on why silicone brake fluid is only good for tanks and tractors.

iceburns288
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by katana9x41. I'm entitled to my opinion on whether I think they are overkill or not, so you shouldn't really be that concerned with it.
You're right. You are entitled to your own opinion. You're also entitled to shut the hell up when you're wrong.

It's not just any 'site', it's StopTech's website. I think they know summin 'bout brakes.

Maybe you also missed the parts where it says that quality drilled rotors aren't really drilled, they have the holes cast in place which stop premature cracking due to stress risers (not the smaller amount of metal, like you say). You probably also missed the parts about the best braking cars in the world (Porsche) using drilled rotors, and how slotted and drilled rotors help with cooling and braking feel for example.
I have personally seen cracked drilled rotors (aftermarket) on a Vette and a 350Z. I know that Ferrari and Porsche both drill their CCB systems, though, with no problems. Probably because they are actually well made :p.

And since when does Porsche make the best braking cars? :D

Originally posted by EK 2.0
1. Amazing Racing Tire technology.
2. Rotors bigger than Importz 26" Armada Rims.
3. Those rotors I mentioned above??...They are Carbon
4. The cars weigh less than I do after thanksgiving dinner.
F1 rotors are actually limited to 278mm in diameter. In contrast, the stock front brakes on my Z are 295mm, and they stop like shit. :)

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I have personally seen porsche rotors that were cracked to all hell... and yea, they were cross drilled. Sooo...

I don't think these arguments are very beneficial to this thread, maybe somebody should start a thread seperately for this.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM

maybe somebody should start a thread seperately for this.

I've got a better idea. Maybe you should just stop posting. All you've done in this thread is make yourself look like an ass, over and over again.

Zephyr
05-13-2007, 01:55 PM
holy hijack thread...

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 02:17 PM
holy hijack thread...

Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional. :(

EK 2.0
05-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

F1 rotors are actually limited to 278mm in diameter. In contrast, the stock front brakes on my Z are 295mm, and they stop like shit. :)

Agreed, but for the size and weight of the F1 whip...they are pretty big...I was getting there by way of a simile haha...

mdeleon
05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Damn Zephyr, you and your friends just have mad connections...im jealous

Accord_tunerx
05-13-2007, 03:54 PM

*drool* new sig...*drool*

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
A pic of whats under the hood would be kewl :angel:

962 kid
05-13-2007, 05:08 PM

EDIT LOL also, drilling rotors will not help with cooling, sorry guy, it takes away metal that is needed for heat transfer. Sooo yea, pretty much your whole post there was wrong.

F1 is such an extreme example that you can't really compare it to much else... they use blanks because they need to keep the heat in the rotor as their pads are uber aggressive and operate at around 750C :) keeping heat in the rotors has been a problem in F1 since the 70s.

I have personally seen porsche rotors that were cracked to all hell... and yea, they were cross drilled. Sooo...

I don't think these arguments are very beneficial to this thread, maybe somebody should start a thread seperately for this.

Would you like to bet who has seen more Porsche rotors? They don't crack until they are under the wear limit, so it's a moot point.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/DSC01143.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/DSC01141.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/douglas_quach/DSC01142.jpg

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Are the rotors drilled to reduce weight then?

To me that seems like a logical explaination...

Nice pics BTW

IScarecroW300
05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Great post Zephyr. Thats Doug's car. Very nice. Heres a couple more pics and a vid.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/asukadc/is3.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/asukadc/is2.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/asukadc/is1.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T_IDRI6-L0E

Spoons
05-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Well aside from all this crap thats been flying around like a monkey cage,
if they brakes are purely for bling factor (I don't know enough about brakes to judge if they have real use or not) It sets off the rims. I see a lot of the spoked style rims where you can see the rotors clearly and sometimes they have small rotors, which personally I think looks dumb. When you have that kind of rim, I think the bigger rotor/brake system makes it look all that much better.

Accord_tunerx
05-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Zephyr...more pictures of your is350! anything new? so sexy...i dream of one!:bigpimp:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vAgMTIJJRIM

isnt this your friend racing?

Zephyr
05-13-2007, 06:40 PM
some new pics from yesturday

both our cars took home a win, 1st place and 3rd place Best Lexus IS from Toyotafest

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/496887788_1c20840798_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/196/496887802_fff4ae37bb_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/496887794_dcf1435ce0_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/496887796_80fd4f5a25_o.jpg

redline
05-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Are the rotors drilled to reduce weight then?

To me that seems like a logical explaination...

Nice pics BTW

rotors are dilled to improve braking in wet driving conditions that is it. And yes even mighty 911 rotors will crack under heavy use.

I have seen CART cars use slotted rotors.

iceburns288
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Why are the rotor hats so big, if I may ask?

ron korolak
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Those are some amazing looking brakes.:thumbsup: Are they overkill? Of course but so what most things on most peoples cars are. Has the owner done anything to address the master cylinder sizing and proportion valve setting to compensate? Or is this strictly a show/street car? Either way kick-ass setup.

Zephyr
05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ron korolak
Those are some amazing looking brakes.:thumbsup: Are they overkill? Of course but so what most things on most peoples cars are. Has the owner done anything to address the master cylinder sizing and proportion valve setting to compensate? Or is this strictly a show/street car? Either way kick-ass setup.

Yea we were thinking of that possible problem, but so far it seems okay. Even if there is a problem, there's not many aftermarket problems to solve it unfortunatly and the fact that this car is daily beaten the crap out of doesn't help us either lol

arian_ma
05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey guys can someone explain this to me?
I tried reading up on it but I am a n00b searcher and I also didn't get most of what was written up that I did find.

So you have ABS to stop your brakes from locking right?
That means your current brake settup has sufficient power to lock the wheels.
How does getting a BIGGER MORE powerful brake system help you stop faster? Doesn't that just make your brakes more prone to lock up quicker?
What's the point of having 4 or 6 or 12 pistons?

Thanks!

ron korolak
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
In repeat stop and go traffic or on the track your barkes won't heat up as much and there for you well have far less brake fade. The more pistons you have also expands the window at which your brakes do lock up so you should have more control.

GTS Jeff
05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey guys can someone explain this to me?
I tried reading up on it but I am a n00b searcher and I also didn't get most of what was written up that I did find.

So you have ABS to stop your brakes from locking right?
That means your current brake settup has sufficient power to lock the wheels.
How does getting a BIGGER MORE powerful brake system help you stop faster? Doesn't that just make your brakes more prone to lock up quicker?
What's the point of having 4 or 6 or 12 pistons?

Thanks! Bigger = more surface area = better heat dissipation = less brake fade = better braking performance.

This is the ultimate goal of all brake upgrades. It doesn't have much to do with actual braking power...most OEM brake systems can lock the wheels without much trouble.

arian_ma
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Bigger = more surface area = better heat dissipation = less brake fade = better braking performance.

This is the ultimate goal of all brake upgrades. It doesn't have much to do with actual braking power...most OEM brake systems can lock the wheels without much trouble.

Gotcha, thanks!
So, I guess if I interpreted that correctly, you are saying that in short term braking, there's really no difference in braking, but under long term, hard brake usage, you will start to notice a huge difference?

Shane1
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Holy snapping assholes batman...

That is Soooooo :bigpimp: !

GTS Jeff
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Gotcha, thanks!
So, I guess if I interpreted that correctly, you are saying that in short term braking, there's really no difference in braking, but under long term, hard brake usage, you will start to notice a huge difference? Yeah basically. Ron says that bigger calipers will help you modulate braking power better too, which makes sense to me as well.