PDA

View Full Version : lowering my r6

mOOgle
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi, im pretty new with bikes and anything that has to do with it. And now i just bought an 07 yamaha r6. And i find that its a little high for me. I'm 5'7 and i have to tippy toe when i sit on it. I'm considering to lower it about an inch or so.

What do i need to know about lowering bikes? Any good brands i should consider or stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Mazstyle
05-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Just get a lowering link that should fix your problem. They can be had for pretty cheap, and some have multiple adjustments.

Q-TIP
05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
you want to make sure that you lower the front and the rear of the bike the same amount otherwise steering geometry starts to get pushed out of whack. this is more of a problem on a bike because the head angle and trail have a huge impact on things like headshake and turn in. Because of this there is a fairly small amount of room you have to lower the bike in the front before the lower tripple clamp starts to hit the fender/tire.

If it is absolutely necessary, lower the bike a bit more in the rear, but keep it as close to the amount you dropped the front as possible to minimize negative impacts. If i were you, i would first try shaving the seat a bit as that might provide the room you need.

Neons4life
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Do what you can not to lower the bike, use that as an absolute last resort.

What I would do first would take the foam out of the seat and get a gel insert. Or get a custom seat done so it's alot lower