PDA

View Full Version : Help: Which University to attend!

schurchill39
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I graduate (from highschool) this year and am currently looking at Universities to go to. I have conditional admission to both the UofA and the UofS in their engineering programs.

I am having a hard time deciding which school to attend and I figured that seeing as this board is filled with uni students, someone could offer some insight.

Here is what I am looking at.

University of Alberta
Pros
-In Alberta
-Has many oil related courses (I want to get back into the oil industry after school)
-Has more ties with oil companies for co-op programs
-Great education
-Very well known engineering program
-First year can be taking partly in french (I am in french immersion) which means first year classes are alot smaller: 20-40 ppl as opposed to 150+.

Cons
-I have never been to the university or the city of edmonton for that matter
-No Family so I would have to live in residence
-Haven't applied for res because I only just got my conditional admission now (applied jan. 3rd)
-More costly then UofS

University of Saskatchewan
Pros
-Has opportunity to major in something to do with the oil industry
-Has some ties with oilfield companies for the co-op program
-Great education
-Well known engineering program (not oil related though.)
-I have family who live in saskatoon. My aunt works at the university.
-Due to this: Cheaper off campus accomodations (within walking distance)
-My aunt can help me with any questions related to the school and she can help me find any information I need
-If I live off campus I will be less lively to get distracted (I think) and can concentrate more on the heavy work load.
-Cheaper

Cons
-Not in alberta
-No french
-Big first year classes
-Not in alberta

Both of the schools have things that are oil industry related although moreso UofA. Right now I am leaning more towards UofS simply because I have family there and that will help out with the cost alot.

What do you guys think? Opinions on the schools will help alot.(I know this will be more alberta based but I have seen some UofS folk floating around)

dj_rice
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Either is fine

dr_jared88
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
UofS - Sask is cheap :)

cityhunter2501
05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
how can, no french be a cons? :poosie:

tbh either way cant go wrong

Gart
05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Based on the info you gave us, I'd say go with UofS..

Since uni. is damn expensive and it'll help out with the costs like you mentioned.

but as you have pretty much been accepted at both, I'm sure you'd like either one.

Although the ties to the O&G industry are a plus in Edmonton, I don't think it'll be all that hard through UofS either (seeing as they have their fair share of the stuff too).

As for after graduation, I myself went to school in Ontario and had very little trouble finding an oil and gas position here despite the lack of specialization from my university..

Euro_Trash
05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Cheeper = chick
Cheaper = money

Euro_Trash
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
And I believe that U of A is far superior than U of S, but I am biased

Euro_Trash
05-10-2007, 06:27 PM
AND one more thing, there is nothing wrong with living in rez, especially for first year. You will meet lot of people and make lots of friends, while if you just live at your family's you will have a lot harder time making friends in classes

CSMRX7
05-10-2007, 06:27 PM
If you are interested in O&G U of A has a much better reputation.

kongaj
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I say UofS... but im biased. For my reasons see my post in the decision between UofL and UofS thread.

Hakkola
05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Cheeper = chick
Cheaper = money

Chick = money
money = root of all evil

Canmorite
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Chick = money
money = root of all evil

Love of money = root of evil :devil:

GTS Jeff
05-11-2007, 01:47 AM
It's all about reputation man.

U of A's rep: wellfunded capital city university in a rich O&G province

Saskatchewan's rep: cheap, shitty, and over there, the word "rez" doesn't mean residence, it means reserve...:rofl:

Choice seems easy to me. :dunno:

msommers
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
My opinion is U of S. Sounds like a better financial situation and you seemed to stress (or forgot not sure) that U of S isn't in Alberta but in the long run if you're paying for school it will be worth it.

With the current demand for engineers in the O&G industry and the projected demand (which is still quite high) in the next ten years, I believe that reputation is more about bragging rights at this point and is negligible. I highly doubt that someone is going to turn you away because you went to U of S. When compared side by side by a recruiter, it might be a different story for that ONE position, but there are tons and they all pay well. My 0.02

R-Audi
05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Uof A for Oil and Gas. Period.

arian_ma
05-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Gart
Based on the info you gave us, I'd say go with UofS..

Since uni. is damn expensive and it'll help out with the costs like you mentioned.

Sorry I have to jump in here but university in Canada is NOT expensive. Look at some figures in the states and your tuition sometimes hits 20G's a year, and cost of living isn't included in that one.

Anyways I don't even know why you're debating this, U of A will get you much better jobs than U of S (if you're competing for them that is)

98brg2d
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
U of A. Look at the Maclean's annual rankings for universities in Canada. It is about getting the best overall package - quality instruction, office hours for profs, options for specialization, campus life, cost to attend etc. I don't know how U of A and U of S compared in engineering specifically but U of A was 6th and U of S was 10th overall. Usually U of A is in the top 3 or 4 in engineering in Canada.

JRSC00LUDE
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
U of A, we've got enought truck driving albertans here already.

:D (jk)

Mr_John
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Saskatchewan's rep: cheap, shitty, and over there, the word "rez" doesn't mean residence, it means reserve...:rofl:
:

:rofl: :rofl:
So True. So Funny.

Euro_Trash
05-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
U of A. Look at the Maclean's annual rankings for universities in Canada. It is about getting the best overall package - quality instruction, office hours for profs, options for specialization, campus life, cost to attend etc. I don't know how U of A and U of S compared in engineering specifically but U of A was 6th and U of S was 10th overall. Usually U of A is in the top 3 or 4 in engineering in Canada.

And top in the west

urbannomad
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John

:rofl: :rofl:
So True. So Funny.

amen. :rofl:

also, you put two cons for the UofS which were the same.

not in alberta.

honestly, their is no fucking difference other than distance.
if your thinking to doo graduate work, then it really doesn't matter where you do your undergrad.

but from personal experience i'd say, UofA.

it has a better undergrad reputation imo along with backing that reputation up also.

Euro///Tuned
05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
U of A all the way.
The choice should be easy U of A >>>>> U of S

mo_money2supe
05-12-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm currently studying Engineering at the U of S. I personally very much enjoy it here - the program that is, not the city however. I honestly can't stand this city, but the fact that there's absolutely nothing else to do here other than to study does show positively in my marks. Besides, this whole city is run by the University, so it has the feeling of a small University town rather than a large city, so much fewer distractions. My vote, U of S! :thumbsup:

thrasher22
05-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
AND one more thing, there is nothing wrong with living in rez, especially for first year. You will meet lot of people and make lots of friends, while if you just live at your family's you will have a lot harder time making friends in classes

:werd: Not only will it makes things more fun/interesting, you'll also get to know more people that are in your program that can help you with your work.
If you stay with relatives you'll be drinking pilsner all day before you know it :nut:

Gart
05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Sorry I have to jump in here but university in Canada is NOT expensive. Look at some figures in the states and your tuition sometimes hits 20G's a year, and cost of living isn't included in that one.

Anyways I don't even know why you're debating this, U of A will get you much better jobs than U of S (if you're competing for them that is)

it may not be as expensive as the states, etc. (the actual cost of learning is probably comparable, although a great deal of our education is subsidized).

However, when you consider anyone who has to pay their own education entirely and say they can only work 4 months a year, it should be worth factoring in the cost since it's likely they will end up with a little debt after 4-5 years of tuition,books, plus the normal food and whatnot.

we have a bunch of UofA AND UofS grads at the company I work for if you're worried about your marketability once you graduate.. I would definitely encourage trying to get summer jobs (or co-op) in your field though, it helps find those unposted jobs once you graduate!

anyways to the OP: let us know what you decide!

edit:
just saw above me "If you stay with relatives you'll be drinking pilsner all day before you know it "

lol!

hjr
05-13-2007, 04:50 PM
u of a, all the way

SteveMo600
05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm attending the U of A right now, in business however, but I've heard great things about the Engineering program. It's the only Faculty at the U that's richer than the Business program and the campus facility for the faculty is solid.

I'd highly recommend the U of A, although Edmonton blows the University is completely different. Finish your schooling there and then come back to Calgary to implement it IMO.

schurchill39
05-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I am leaning towards U of S for my first year at least. Next to the education, the cost is a really big factor.

Both places offer a very comparible first year so I think if I do my first year at U of S then try and transfer over to U of A for the second year.

Getting a job in the O&G industry durring the summer isn't a problem at all. I have been with an oil field service company for 2 years now, have almost all of my tickets and I just recently got my class 1 licence . I am definitly going to try and get into a co-op program though because it would relate more to my education then any labor job would.

Hopefully driving this summer will help cover a decent chunk of the school year.

msommers
05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Both places offer a very comparible first year so I think if I do my first year at U of S then try and transfer over to U of A for the second year

If that is your gut feeling then go for it. My only concern is if the courses completed in your first year are directly transferable/equivalent to the ones at U of A. A friend of mine got screwed from U of Vic --> U of C transfer. Just something else to think about.

schurchill39
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
How would I go about looking into it? People at U of A dont seem to want to give me the time of day to ask any questions.

REFLUX
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
How would I go about looking into it? People at U of A dont seem to want to give me the time of day to ask any questions.
The people that work at the UofA or the people responding in this thread?

Seems like lots of UofA ppl are giving exactly what you asked for, opinions.

Anyways, contact the engineering faculty @ the UofA and tell them of your decision and are concerned with transferability of courses.
Ask them if they recognize all first year engineering courses @ UofS and what the transfer process is.

As for the money situation, I don't see how going to a cheaper university for your first year is going to make a big difference in the end.
Why bother switching around like that? Only makes more hassle for you.

Doesn't seem like you'll have money problems considering your summer job.

And a 1/4 of UofA's campus is dedicated to engineering, not sure what UofS' investment into engineering is :dunno:

mo_money2supe
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I transferred from U of C to U of S a couple of years ago - in Engineering at both U's. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Not 'cause I don't like U of S, but the transferring actually costed me MORE in the end 'cause not every class transferred over, and I thus ended up paying for classes that didn't even count in the end. As mentioned above me, if you're looking at saving money, stick with one university; don't transfer around.

schurchill39
05-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX

The people that work at the UofA or the people responding in this thread?

The people that work at the U of A. I have sent out 3 or 4 emails and no one has answered and when I called, the guy on the other end just rushed me off the phone and didnt really answer any of my questions.

ninjak84
05-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I didn't mind doing my degree at U of S. Took me a while to get used to it. You realize that every experience is entirely what you make of it (even though there isn't much to make of anything out there).