PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Slow down in playground zones...

AG_Styles
05-10-2007, 06:22 PM
C'mon, i know the weather outside is really nice and we all wanna cruise around in our rides, but just because you think you are "the shit" with your car doesn't give you the goddamn right to speed in playground zones at 4pm in the friggin afternoon trying to show off. In case you didn't know, thats when all the kiddies are in the parks/playgrounds when it's this nice outside. Goddamn.

I don't care how box you think you are in your car, you speed in a playground zone just to show off your BOV/exhaust/someshithere to all the kiddies (heaven forbid elementary school kids to know what a RHD/JDM/fanboycar is ) and you're just asking for cops to start cracking down on every single modified car out there.

You wanna be a try-hard on the streets with your car, fine, idc hope you get your ass busted, but don't do shit like that which would end up ruining for everyone.

SJW
05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I think you should quit yer whining. Everyone bitches so much lately. Don't you know that karma catches up with these folks? I mean if they kill someone they'll learn. If little johnny plays on the road he'll learn too. I learned to look both ways when i was just a wee lil boy. Shouldn't today's society do the same? Shit i've seen 16 year olds walk out on a green the other nite and almost get plowed. Morons. Anyway quit bitchin.

Simpson, Homer

That is all.

Spoons
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I totally feel your pain, and I couldn't agree more with what your saying... but there is so much bitching on here now. Since when did "Street Encounters" turn into "Bitch About Every Bad Driver In Calgary" which is an incredibly large sum of people. If I came on here and bitched about everything that is a common occurance, etc. I would have 500 pages on this forum of that shit.

I don't entirely agree with above, as a kid getting killed over it or something isn't a good way to teach the guy a lesson. It will get the point across, but at more than one person's expense.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
It's not just the driver who would lose out, it's everyone with modified cars... it's really hard to shake the stereotype when people do act like that. :(

Lex350
05-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I think you should quit yer whining. Everyone bitches so much lately. Don't you know that karma catches up with these folks? I mean if they kill someone they'll learn. If little johnny plays on the road he'll learn too. I learned to look both ways when i was just a wee lil boy. Shouldn't today's society do the same? Shit i've seen 16 year olds walk out on a green the other nite and almost get plowed. Morons. Anyway quit bitchin.

Simpson, Homer

That is all.

I see your point with older kids but no matter how many times you tell a pre-schooler or child a bit older they still get distracted and run out on to the street. Saying, "that will learn them" is f$cking stupid and indicates you know shit about kids.

The playground/school zones are there for a reason..respect them.

rage2
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
The playground/school zones are there for a reason..respect them.
Ya, they're there to teach kids to be irresponsible. Respect it!

KenP
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Ranting on a car forum is not going to do anything thusly!
:whocares:
:closed:

403Gemini
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I live right accross the street from a playground zone.

Its ridiculous to see how many people actually speed through it...

Annoyingrob
05-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Who cares if street encounters has turned into a ranting zone. It's not like this place gets any other posts anyways. Personally, I like to keep on top of all the idiots in Calgary. It makes me feel better getting some of the shit that happens off my chest.

reiRei
05-12-2007, 09:19 AM
... I personally love the people who are super slow through the residential area.. and then proceed to speed in the playground zone... :thumbsdow

barbarian
05-12-2007, 09:23 AM
The worst offenders in the playground zones are usually the jacked-up and chipped F-150's.

asuth077
05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by reiRei
... I personally love the people who are super slow through the residential area.. and then proceed to speed in the playground zone... :thumbsdow

YES,

I dont rant on people doing 35-40 through the zone, whatever they will get a ticket sometime I am sure, its not my place.

but I can't stand the people who drive like if they just average it out its okay some how.

"Well maybe if I only do 45 in this 60 zone I can do 45 through the playground zone too"

Lex350
05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Ya, they're there to teach kids to be irresponsible. Respect it!

sure and if you aren't speeding through it they might get a second chance. I see that you were a perfect child.

rage2
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
sure and if you aren't speeding through it they might get a second chance. I see that you were a perfect child.
I was never the perfect child. I grew up in HK, and there's no such thing as playground zones, or pedestrian has the right of way. I learned at a young age to respect the fact that car vs human is a losing battle. Kids here don't respect that, they dart across the street without looking thinking they're invincible. Why? Because of playground and school zones, they think they're safe around these areas. All it takes is one of these "chipped F150's" to prove them wrong, too bad they won't be alive to learn that lesson.

Toms-SC
05-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Fuck I hate all zones. Fence = No zone

Spoons
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Couldn't agree more. Seems like school and playground zones are just like TV. Some parents use the TV to teach their children, and then they complain about the violence on it. Parents use the playground zones so they can let little Timmy at the age of 6 go out and play at the playground unsupervised running around everywhere, and then they complain about the speed.

When I was a kid, I lived right across the street from my park, and I was NEVER allowed to go there without my parents watching me.

stevo 27
05-13-2007, 06:07 PM
yea fuck when i grew up i never ran out infront of cars i knew i would
be mashed into hamberger meat

and i fuckin hate playground zones and 90 percent of the people who live in them
just cause my cars louder when the fuckin parent who put their children in plastic bubbles yell
at my car SLOW DOWN HEY and im doing 30-35
i swear to god next person who does that im gonna fuckin
punch them out on their own front lawn

ahhh my rant is over
that is all

EDIT: and if your old enough to wipe your own ass over 5
and you dont have the brain capacity to not run out infront of a loud 3000lbs hunk of moving steal i consider it natural selction

Spoons
05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
I was driving home and I was doing 50... which was the speed limit for the residential area. Some dumb lady came walking up saying, "There's kids around, slow down!"

All I said was, "Last time I checked, it's 1:30pm, and all the kids are at school, as a matter of fact, I don't see a single kid on this street, secondly, I wasn't even speeding!"

stevo 27
05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
^^^^ yea those kind of bitches^^^^
their hudsbands have lost intrest in their wrinkley
boring minds\slash bodys so they spend their lives
sitting on their front lawn like perched hawks
screaming at any and every car that drives by
because their unhappy with their lives
:banghead:

rage2
05-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
I was driving home and I was doing 50... which was the speed limit for the residential area. Some dumb lady came walking up saying, "There's kids around, slow down!"

All I said was, "Last time I checked, it's 1:30pm, and all the kids are at school, as a matter of fact, I don't see a single kid on this street, secondly, I wasn't even speeding!"
The worse is when you're not speeding, those old farts are working on their garden, and they chuck dirt or spray water at you. I usually stop for those and get all asian gangsta (complete with fobby accent) to scare those fuckers. Least I can do since it necessitates a 30 minute car wash to clean that shit up.

cloud7
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
The other thing about playground zone is that just because it is 30 km/h doesn't mean you can step out on the road an jaywalk right in front of a car. I usually just honk at them while doing 30 km/h instead of slowing down and yielding to them. The point of the zone is not so that you can jaywalk easier... it is so that if a kid is chasing a ball out onto the street (which younger kids do tend to do), there is enough time to stop and not hit them. Unfortunately the use of playground zones have been abused by community as a speed control measure... communities have been known to put up playground equipment (even though there is no need for them) so that the City would be forced to put up playground zones.

modded46
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM

I was never the perfect child. I grew up in HK, and there's no such thing as playground zones, or pedestrian has the right of way. I learned at a young age to respect the fact that car vs human is a losing battle. Kids here don't respect that, they dart across the street without looking thinking they're invincible. Why? Because of playground and school zones, they think they're safe around these areas. All it takes is one of these "chipped F150's" to prove them wrong, too bad they won't be alive to learn that lesson.

Very well put.

Lex350
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

actually its because they don't want their kids hit. They see these ass-wipe people drive by with their entitlement attitude and total lack of respect for anybody but themselves and they hope that one day the driver will clue in beforte he hits some kid.

You guys talk like kids should be as responsible as an adult....well, they aren't. A pre-schooler just doesn't think that way. What is the big fucking deal about slowing down in an area for a whole 20 seconds?

I guess as a father I have a different perspective. I've also seen first hand when I was in my teens a small girl get smoked by a car in the playground zone by North Haven school.

Even if you think the zone is unwarranted, what's the big deal to slow down there? If you are getting that put out by this, I can't imagine what you are like on the open road.

Lex350
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
yea fuck when i grew up i never ran out infront of cars i knew i would
be mashed into hamberger meat

and i fuckin hate playground zones and 90 percent of the people who live in them
just cause my cars louder when the fuckin parent who put their children in plastic bubbles yell
at my car SLOW DOWN HEY and im doing 30-35
i swear to god next person who does that im gonna fuckin
punch them out on their own front lawn

ahhh my rant is over
that is all

EDIT: and if your old enough to wipe your own ass over 5
and you dont have the brain capacity to not run out infront of a loud 3000lbs hunk of moving steal i consider it natural selction

you're a tool!

Super_Geo
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
^ Nothing makes me happier than seeing some asshole speeding through residential zones in my rear view mirror as I approach a playground zone. Just for them I usually slow down to 25.. sometimes all the way down to 15 just for kicks. The look of frustration in their faces for those 30 some seconds is priceless.

ICEBERG
05-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Reminds me of a time when this chick flew by me with her SUV at a payground zone doing at least 70k, then she got OWNED by the Cop ahead. Priceless.:rofl: :rofl:

I wonder how many of you have kids who posted on this thread?

rage2
05-14-2007, 03:08 PM
You guys talk like kids should be as responsible as an adult....well, they aren't. A pre-schooler just doesn't think that way. What is the big fucking deal about slowing down in an area for a whole 20 seconds?

I guess as a father I have a different perspective. I've also seen first hand when I was in my teens a small girl get smoked by a car in the playground zone by North Haven school.
I dunno, when I was a pre-schooler (that's what 4 yrs old?) growing up in Hong Kong, I've already learned to NEVER EVER EVER walk into the streets. Even when I walked downstairs to buy some snacks at the corner grocery store on my own, it was drilled in my mind never to walk onto the streets without an adult. Hell, even when I moved here when I was 7, I was scared to cross the street. I was taught by my parents to respect the fact that I will lose the battle against cars. I don't understand why as a parent, you don't teach that to your children?

I found the pedestrian culture to be a shock to me when I came here. Meeting new friends, walking to school and the kids just walk across the street at designated crosswalks without looking carefully... all it takes is one unattentive driver, or a drunk to blow thru the intersection and kill your kid. I blame playground zones for this mentality in children. It's not the fact that as I driver I have to slow down that upsets me, it's the fact that it sets a bad example for children that upsets me. Even though I'm driving at 30km/h, a lot of ppl don't. And then there's the bad drivers that are afraid of tickets fixated on their speedos to make sure they don't speed, not paying attention to kids running across the street and slamming on their brakes last second. I've witnessed this many a times.

I was so careful in crossing the street when I moved here, I think for a good 2 years I was looking left and right at least 4 or 5 times, and raising my hand out to cross the street like a dork until I was like 8 or 9 lol. Whenever possible, I'd walk further to use one of those push signs to ensure cars are stopped before I crossed.

As for you seeing a girl getting smoked in North Haven, if she was raised in Hong Kong, I'll bet you it would've never happened.

Even if you think the zone is unwarranted, what's the big deal to slow down there? If you are getting that put out by this, I can't imagine what you are like on the open road.
Like I said, I don't speed thru playground zones (unless I'm in a new area and I didn't see the sign). The fines just aren't worth it to save a few seconds. I just think playground zones and school zones in general are stupid, because it makes kids shift safety responsibility to a stranger in a 3000lb+ weapon who cares a lot less about your kid's life than yourself. And because of kids irresponsibilities, I drive slow to make sure I don't kill your child. To me, it makes absolutely no sense.

But like I said, I've blown thru playground zones going 50km/h accidently before when driving in a new community and the sign is kinda obscured. If I accidently killed a kid, who's fault is it really? Irresponsible child not looking before darting into traffic? Traffic engineers for not putting up the sign properly or checking to ensure it's easily visible? Or me for driving into a new area and accidently missing it? What if it wasn't a playground zone, and the kid just took the "I have the right of way" mentality to other areas? Should all roads where children are potentially present be dropped to 30? Or should kids only be allowed to play in designated playgrounds?

Again, makes no sense to me. :dunno:

rage2
05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
To add to this story, I actually got run over by a truck before, thanks to the truck driver being completely zoned out and not paying attention. It was rush hour, and truck was stopped in front of a marked crosswalk. As I got to the crosswalk, traffic up ahead moved up, so me and 3 other pedestrians waited to see what this truck driver would do. So we all started walking across the street, and with my fear of getting hit, I ran across instead. When I was directly in front of the truck, the driver pays attention to traffic ahead, it's clear, and runs me the fuck over. Here I am laid out under a truck wondering WTF is going on with the other 3 pedestrians banging on the truck telling the driver he just ran someone over. Lucky for me, I walked away with a few pretty harsh bruises.

These are the ppl you trust in playground zones to make the decision to pay attention and slow down to not harm your child...

cityhunter2501
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
^ :werd:

a good rule of thumb I learned growing up was before crossing a road, check both sides first of incoming vehicles and/or that they've spotted you.

I hate it when people decides to cross the street all of a sudden

if you ask me, the problem is due to the fast pace american lifestyle, where parents barely have chance to educate/guide their kids.

rage2
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
if you ask me, the problem is due to the fast pace american lifestyle, where parents barely have chance to educate/guide their kids.
That's bullshit. Both my parents worked 12-16 hrs a day in HK, including weekends. My dad had 2 jobs and I rarely saw my parents till I moved here. From what I can see, hanging out at friend's houses as a kid, the problem is 2 fold.

First off, parents are WAY too overprotective of their kids. When the parents are around, the kids don't learn common sense, parents just say no nicely, no consequences. When the parents aren't around, the kids will do the most dangerous shit because they just assume when they do stuff, someone will tell them no. They never learn what's dangerous and what's not.

Second, parent's just aren't mean enough here. I remember as a kid, I walked to school instead of taking the bus, which involved walking up a busy hill in HK with a sidewalk (road looked like those drift togue sections). Wouldn't think it's dangerous, but I guess I was taught it was. My parents beat the shit outta me for that one, and ya, that was enough to learn that cars = deadly. Serious business.

cityhunter2501
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM

That's bullshit. Both my parents worked 12-16 hrs a day in HK, including weekends. My dad had 2 jobs and I rarely saw my parents till I moved here. From what I can see, hanging out at friend's houses as a kid, the problem is 2 fold.

First off, parents are WAY too overprotective of their kids. When the parents are around, the kids don't learn common sense, parents just say no nicely, no consequences. When the parents aren't around, the kids will do the most dangerous shit because they just assume when they do stuff, someone will tell them no. They never learn what's dangerous and what's not.

Second, parent's just aren't mean enough here. I remember as a kid, I walked to school instead of taking the bus, which involved walking up a busy hill in HK with a sidewalk (road looked like those drift togue sections). Wouldn't think it's dangerous, but I guess I was taught it was. My parents beat the shit outta me for that one, and ya, that was enough to learn that cars = deadly. Serious business.

yeah that too.
I myself grew up with strict parents.
I was riding my bike in the right lane of the road and when my dad saw that he freaked out and punished me.
as an asian person, i grew up getting beat by my mom, dad, grandpa.

PINOY-X
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
^^^ its different growing up somewhere else tho..as for me i grew up in the philippines.. and i see why u already knew not to do stupid stuff cuz u learned from gettin beat by ur dad .. i had my share of gettin beaten by my dad for doing stupid stuff .. dat is why to you things are pretty much common sense.. as for here some parents are wayyyy toooo nice to their kids.. IMO

rage2
05-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Some fun stats comparing Hong Kong to Alberta in terms of pedestrian accidents, which shows how big of a difference culture and education about dangers of being a pedestrian makes. The only data I found for both as a comparison was 1998. In HK, there's a lot more cars, much higher traffic density, no playground zones, and drivers are 1000x more agressive than here in Alberta. Plus it's all chinese drivers, can't be a good thing :rofl:. You'd think pedestrian deaths and injuries would be WAY worse in HK. This might surprise you.

In 1998, Alberta had a population of 2.8m. HK had a population of 6.7m, 2.4x higher than Alberta.

Alberta pedestrian deaths that year was 50, with 1156 injuries. HK pedestrian deaths was only slightly higher at 67, with only 35 injuries. Ya in HK, if you get smoked by a car, chances are, you're not gonna make it lol.

BTW - No sources to back this one up, but a lot of the pedestrian accidents in HK are actually from travellers from north america who's not used to drivers not paying attention to pedestrians. I remember this from reading newspapers when I was a kid, where they show graphic pics of white guys in pieces on the road.

Sources:

Alberta population : http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/ms_official_pop_lists.htm

HK Population :
http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Hong-Kong.html

Alberta pedestrian fatalities + injuries :
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp2436/rs200101/pdf/rs200101e.pdf

HK pedestrian fatalities + injuries :
http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_analyses_AsiaPacific.htm

PINOY-X
05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Plus it's all chinese drivers, can't be a good thing :rofl:.
[/url]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

atomic
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
i have the same fucking rant about my fucking street . fucking idiots . i have neighboors with kids, and speed limits!!!

stevo 27
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM

you're a tool!

im a tool because i dont like being screamed at
following the speed limit in these zones

let me guess your one of the yelling pricks
i totaly agree with 30kph and I FOLLOW THAT but
when you scream at me when im doing that
you my sir are the tool

now i understand that kids are not as mature as adults
nor should they be have fun and all that
but if a child does not have some type of mental handi cap
they should know not to dart infront of cars. And if they are under
the age of not being able to comprehend that then it is the parents
fault for not watchin the child if your kids to young to understand
not to play in the streets then watch them
A playground zone is still a road not your backyard
so rotten42 blow me :thumbsup:

Spoons
05-14-2007, 10:01 PM
This thread seems to have gone down the shitter minus Rage's posts. There are convincing opinions on both sides. Hate it or love it, whatever keeps that tyke off my front bumper, let it be the school zones, or me being a responsible driver, but I tend on just relying on being a responsible driver.

Lex350
05-14-2007, 10:17 PM

I dunno, when I was a pre-schooler (that's what 4 yrs old?) growing up in Hong Kong, I've already learned to NEVER EVER EVER walk into the streets. Even when I walked downstairs to buy some snacks at the corner grocery store on my own, it was drilled in my mind never to walk onto the streets without an adult. Hell, even when I moved here when I was 7, I was scared to cross the street. I was taught by my parents to respect the fact that I will lose the battle against cars. I don't understand why as a parent, you don't teach that to your children?

I found the pedestrian culture to be a shock to me when I came here. Meeting new friends, walking to school and the kids just walk across the street at designated crosswalks without looking carefully... all it takes is one unattentive driver, or a drunk to blow thru the intersection and kill your kid. I blame playground zones for this mentality in children. It's not the fact that as I driver I have to slow down that upsets me, it's the fact that it sets a bad example for children that upsets me. Even though I'm driving at 30km/h, a lot of ppl don't. And then there's the bad drivers that are afraid of tickets fixated on their speedos to make sure they don't speed, not paying attention to kids running across the street and slamming on their brakes last second. I've witnessed this many a times.

I was so careful in crossing the street when I moved here, I think for a good 2 years I was looking left and right at least 4 or 5 times, and raising my hand out to cross the street like a dork until I was like 8 or 9 lol. Whenever possible, I'd walk further to use one of those push signs to ensure cars are stopped before I crossed.

As for you seeing a girl getting smoked in North Haven, if she was raised in Hong Kong, I'll bet you it would've never happened.

Like I said, I don't speed thru playground zones (unless I'm in a new area and I didn't see the sign). The fines just aren't worth it to save a few seconds. I just think playground zones and school zones in general are stupid, because it makes kids shift safety responsibility to a stranger in a 3000lb+ weapon who cares a lot less about your kid's life than yourself. And because of kids irresponsibilities, I drive slow to make sure I don't kill your child. To me, it makes absolutely no sense.

But like I said, I've blown thru playground zones going 50km/h accidently before when driving in a new community and the sign is kinda obscured. If I accidently killed a kid, who's fault is it really? Irresponsible child not looking before darting into traffic? Traffic engineers for not putting up the sign properly or checking to ensure it's easily visible? Or me for driving into a new area and accidently missing it? What if it wasn't a playground zone, and the kid just took the "I have the right of way" mentality to other areas? Should all roads where children are potentially present be dropped to 30? Or should kids only be allowed to play in designated playgrounds?

Again, makes no sense to me. :dunno:

I agree that all kids should be taught not to run out. I pound it into my kids all the time. All I'm saying is that the consequences outweigh the inconvenience regardless if the kid was being absent minded and at fault.

Rocky
08-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Alberta pedestrian deaths that year was 50, with 1156 injuries. HK pedestrian deaths was only slightly higher at 67, with only 35 injuries.
I bet 90% of HK'ers don't bother reporting run ins with vehicles. That being said...

Welcome to Canada. Everything in this country needs to be wrapped in styrofoam or bubble wrap because the culture here is so over protective about everything, especially on the roads. Look how many road signs we have, for example. I think I've heard Canada has more on average than anywhere in the world. Playground zones are another thing along these lines. I think all playground zones should be a 50 except during peak hours (8:30-10 and 3:30 to 5:30) when there is a lot of traffic (both vehicle and pedestrian) entering and leaving the schools. Sadly there's a lack of responsibility on all fronts -- drivers, parents, kids -- but the way our culture is, we just blame somebody else. How many parents are willing to be like "well, my son WAS a fucking idiot, what could you do?". It's constantly a blame game and that's why there's no real sense of responsibility half the time. Drivers typically are the first scapegoat, and easiest.

SR240SX
08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
What I can't fucking stand..and its happend to me a few times already because my car is so damn loud, Is when people see you coming and they fucking jump infront of you're car in the middle of the road yelling "slow down!" Like fuck if some dude runs infront of my car because he thinks im speeding and I hit the guy, I wonder who would be at fault...Iv'e had to swerve out of the way a couple times to avoid those idiots.....:banghead: :banghead:

Cooked Rice
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
^ :werd: w/ stevo as well.

When I lived back in Red Deer, these few houses had kids that always played hockey and shit right on the street, and crap. Between their houses. They literally used the street as a playground. It was a 50 zone. And their was an actually huge ass park less than 100 meters down the street with everything, including a paved area where kids could play hockey and crap. I was coming home one night doing probably 45K and one of the parents who was talking to another one comes out and stops me. And tells me to slow down, because they are kids playing all the time and a dog just got ran over the other day. I just said "kay" and drove off haha. It's not a playground, and it's not like a driver is always on the alert for pets that dash out onto the road.

Thomas Gabriel
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Fuck I hate all zones. Fence = No zone

Yup, and if it doesn't have a fence, it needs to get one rather than become a zone.

I can't even think of the last time I saw kids in a playground anyways.

Kennyredline
08-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
...you mean people that just do 40km/hr EVERYWHERE?

SwivelHips
08-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Simpson, Homer

That is all.

I'm the old fart in the yard, and they better hope it's Karma, and not me that catches up with them. "If they kill someone they learn"?!? Little late by then, innit?

rage2
08-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I think I've heard Canada has more on average than anywhere in the world.
We're the only place with mandatory speed reductions. In the US, the limit is only reduced with children around, down to a more realistic 25mph.

Originally posted by Rocky
Playground zones are another thing along these lines.
Calgary has the most playground zones anywhere in Canada (by far too).

Things were being done to bring us more in line with the rest of the world, but ppl bitched and that plan is now on hold.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/04/12/5266701-sun.html

We have 840 playground zones :rofl:. Retarded.

The worst still is Elbow Drive's "rich man" 14 block playground zone. Where's the fucking playground? LOL

KyleTA
08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Some bitch in my neighborhood put up a cardboard sign on a lamp-post saying "SLOW DOWN - MAX SPEED 30km/HR"...this is in a residential neighborhood with no playgrounds - just a bunch of stupid kids who play hockey in the street and dont get out of the way when cars are coming.

.... sorry bitch you don't make the laws

Stealth22
08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by KyleTA
Some bitch in my neighborhood put up a cardboard sign on a lamp-post saying "SLOW DOWN - MAX SPEED 30km/HR"...this is in a residential neighborhood with no playgrounds - just a bunch of stupid kids who play hockey in the street and dont get out of the way when cars are coming.

.... sorry bitch you don't make the laws

Call CPS or city bylaw. They'll give her shit for putting that up!

SilverGS
08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Agree with Rage about Parent's teaching their kids.

Some kids have no appreciation of what a 3000lbs vehicle can do to you. The road by my house slopes down quite a bit. A couple weeks ago some neighbourhood kids where riding their scooters and skateboards down the hill for fun. They were picking up quite a bit of speed and the hill ends in a turn off. If a car was coming the other way to turn up the hill and suddenly one of those kids was screaming down the hill there is no way the car could of avoided them.

Quiet10
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
When I was young, my mom and dad always told me stories about how bad it was in China for traffic and how it was when they were growing up. I remember vividly how they said that if you got hit by a car in China and you didn't die, they would back up and make sure you were dead so that they wouldn't have to support your crippled ass for the rest of your life.

I have no evidence to support this, but my girlfriend's parents also told me similar stories recently.

That being said, it stuck in my mind as a child and I am always cautious when crossing the street and will teach my kids to be responsible as early as they are able to walk by themselves.

Down with playground zones! :whipped:

mark4091
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Fuck I hate playground zones. People are always so damn protective of kids like they can't think for themselves.When I was 5 years old I could grasp the concept of not wanting to be hit by a fucking car.

Eleanor
08-25-2008, 01:38 PM
The big thing I've noticed with playground zones is that a lot of times, the sign is almost totally blocked by the trees on the sides of the roads. It's supposed to be a safety thing, but then they can't make sure that the sign is clearly visible? GD it! :banghead:

Along the same lines, my grandparents live right at a T-intersection in their neighborhood in Winnipeg. It's a really secluded suburb with hardly any traffic at all in front of their place. Well one day, the lady on the opposite corner watches her kid almost get plowed into by a car cause her kid (about 9 or 10 y.o.) ran out in front of a car.

Two weeks later there is a three-way stop at this corner in the middle of nowhere, fuck just teach your kid not to run out on the damn road! It isn't that difficult. :banghead:

nightfx
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by mark4091
Fuck I hate playground zones. People are always so damn protective of kids like they can't think for themselves.When I was 5 years old I could grasp the concept of not wanting to be hit by a fucking car.
:werd:
I was afraid of crossing the street without looking multiple times. Let alone play right on the street.

cloud7
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Kids in Playground zones assumes that they can jaywalk in a playground zone. If a driver run a kid over at 30 km/h, guess what will happen? the kid will be seriously injuried (most likely fatally) and the driver will likely not be responsible. People speed in playground zones because, like any other signs, drivers ignore signs that are overused.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
are you talking about those idiots that sit in front of those townhouses mid-way on Queen Charlotte Drive between our street and Canyon Meadows?

I FuCKING hate those people. Normally I always obey the speed limits, but I speed up to 40-50kph in that area just to get under their skin. It doesn't matter if you do 20 or 50 in that area, they always just glare at you as if you were Robert Pickton walking into a womens shelter.
arrghh.. :whipped:

One rant I have is the idiots that expect you do below the speed limit when they allow their (very young) kids to play on the street. That is what a backyard is for.... a street is where cars drive, its not where little 2-8 year old play hop-scotch, and run around.

:nut: Fuck sakes, they have a backyard that isn't ever used, yet they feel the street is the safest place for the kids to play, and heaven forbid you were to make it anything BUT that right?:rolleyes:

Spoons
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
When I was a kid we lived on a corner in MacEwan where the turn on the corner was just a yield sign.

We put a sign up simply saying there was children playing and to slow down, because well people FLEW around that corner.

Sure there are lots of areas, and we should be a little more tactful about them, BUT there are these idiots that fly through everywhere. I think as a kid I almost got hit by a car because they came screaming around the corner probably over 50 times. One time I actually did get hit (not bad) but still.

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Up where I live, we don't really need more than yield signs (which is what we've got), but right after the main entrance to the area, there's a blind curve, and the people living in the houses around it park their cars on the street right at the spot where you can't see around the curve. Doesn't really help that two of the homeowners each have like 3 cars.

I have had some near collisions at that spot because of people driving in the middle/partially on the wrong side of the road and not looking where they're going, all while flying down the street at 60 km/h. Kids frequently play around there too; pretty much every kid in the area has a bicycle.

I personally think that the kids should not play on the street, but god damn it, the road is not a freaking race track! I'm going to start calling CPS on some of these cars...especially the BMW that always whizzes by doing almost 70. :nut:

TorqueDog
08-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I never speed through playground/school zones and openly chastise those that do (I had a letter printed recently in the Calgary Sun making fun of a woman from Ontario that got busted)... but...
I was never the perfect child. I grew up in HK, and there's no such thing as playground zones, or pedestrian has the right of way. I learned at a young age to respect the fact that car vs human is a losing battle. Kids here don't respect that, they dart across the street without looking thinking they're invincible. Why? Because of playground and school zones, they think they're safe around these areas. All it takes is one of these "chipped F150's" to prove them wrong, too bad they won't be alive to learn that lesson. ... I also agree with this 110%.

I grew up in Winnipeg (fuck you, don't laugh). The school zones are 50 KM/H just like any other street, not 30 KM/H. Pedestrians wait at the sidewalk until there are no cars coming. Cars do not stop for you unless you are at a crosswalk and have pushed the button/have made yourself visible, and even then, pedestrians wait until the cars stop before proceeding (except downtown, where it's like a fucking 'deer crossing' with alcoholics and homeless people).

Instead of bubble-wrapping our kids with safety precautions that serve no purpose other than to block the tough lessons life teaches us, shouldn't we teach them how to look both ways before crossing the damn street? All we're doing is protecting people from themselves, instead of teaching them not to be fucking idiots. It's like we're raising a world of Mac users.

hampstor
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Agree with Rage about Parent's teaching their kids.

Some kids have no appreciation of what a 3000lbs vehicle can do to you.

I was wondering what kind of parents these kids had when I realized there are probably tens of thousands of them in the city!

These parents are most likely the ones have no appreciation what a 5000+ lbs vehicle will do to their compact when they get cut me off and slam on the brakes.

It's like the blind leading the blind!

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I had a letter printed recently in the Calgary Sun making fun of a woman from Ontario that got busted

Care to post? :rofl:

TorqueDog
08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Care to post? :rofl: Original letter:
TOURISTS WON'T BE BACK

My husband and I visited Calgary for the first time on July 12-13. We attended the Stampede , wore cowboy hats, ate buffalo ribs and enjoyed your western hospitality. This positive image of Calgary was shattered upon our return home to Windsor when we received a "speeding" ticket in the mail for driving 43 km/h in Calgary. Apparently we missed seeing a 30 km/h zone sign. I suppose your police should be complimented for their zealous attention to even the most innocuous lawbreakers, but for us it has put a chill on the Wild Rose Country. I will send in my $85 fine, but I will never again willingly visit Calgary.

Doris Gaspar
----------

My reply:
CHILD WOULDN'T HAVE A CHANCE

In response to Doris Gaspar's Aug. 18 letter about her run-in with photo enforcement, I'll sympathize that photo enforcement is a stupid idea -- always has been, and always will be. Particularly in Doris' case. A law enforcement officer should have been there to give her a ticket, in person, for speeding through a playground zone, as sending her a ticket obviously didn't explain the reasoning behind the penalty, nor did it make her slow down any. If she couldn't see the bright yellow sign telling her to slow her vehicle to 30 km/h in a playground zone, I'm sure that blurry thing that looked like a kid running out in front of her vehicle wouldn't have had a chance.

James Parkes

Originally posted by hampstor
These parents are most likely the ones have no appreciation what a 5000+ lbs vehicle will do to their compact when they get cut me off and slam on the brakes.

It's like the blind leading the blind! Ugh, don't get me started.

rpalm35
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

are you talking about those idiots that sit in front of those townhouses mid-way on Queen Charlotte Drive between our street and Canyon Meadows?

I FuCKING hate those people. Normally I always obey the speed limits, but I speed up to 40-50kph in that area just to get under their skin. It doesn't matter if you do 20 or 50 in that area, they always just glare at you as if you were Robert Pickton walking into a womens shelter.
arrghh.. :whipped:

One rant I have is the idiots that expect you do below the speed limit when they allow their (very young) kids to play on the street. That is what a backyard is for.... a street is where cars drive, its not where little 2-8 year old play hop-scotch, and run around.

:nut: Fuck sakes, they have a backyard that isn't ever used, yet they feel the street is the safest place for the kids to play, and heaven forbid you were to make it anything BUT that right?:rolleyes:

There are a few people on my street like that.
One day I was coming home, and im going down my street. I see kids on bicycles so i decide to slow down to about 10 km/h. As I'm approaching one of the parents step in front of my vehicle to get me to stop.

The Dad comes up to me point blank..
" Can you slow down next time? My kids are playing and you can seriously hurt someone."

I was going 10 km/h, and I told him that..

His response was.. " I don't care how fast you were going. You were clearly going to fast, and my children wouldn't have been able to get out of the way."

It's funny. Whether i am going as slow as humanly possible.. (done once for the hell of it) or slowing down for his kids, he always gives me a worst look like im doing something so horrifically wrong.

Since when have residential streets become places where children can bicycle around, play hockey, and draw on the streets with chalk, not giving a $%^& about on coming traffic??

Im with rage2 on this one

kenny
08-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by rpalm35

One day I was coming home, and im going down my street. I see kids on bicycles so i decide to slow down to about 10 km/h. As I'm approaching one of the parents step in front of my vehicle to get me to stop.

" Can you slow down next time? My kids are playing and you can seriously hurt someone."

His response was.. " I don't care how fast you were going. You were clearly going to fast, and my children wouldn't have been able to get out of the way."

It's funny. Whether i am going as slow as humanly possible.. (done once for the hell of it) or slowing down for his kids, he always gives me a worst look like im doing something so horrifically wrong.

Since when have residential streets become places where children can bicycle around, play hockey, and draw on the streets with chalk, not giving a $%^& about on coming traffic??

Make a cardboard replica of the MAXIMUM 50 KM/H sign and hold it up as you rip by going 50 next time.

rpalm35
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Make a cardboard replica of the MAXIMUM 50 KM/H sign and hold it up as you rip by going 50 next time.
:rofl:

thats an excellent Idea!

I might have to give that a try

PGTze
08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rpalm35

Something very similar happened to me once as well, but it wasn't in a community I was all that familiar with. I took a wrong turn and went down what turned out to be a long culdesac(sp?) of approx. 75 - 100 houses, I was probably doing between 30-40 km/h (not a playground zone) as I thought I had turned onto more of a main street, but slowed down after realizing I was lost. When I turned around and came back after previously passing two kids playing catch on the side of the street, an older guy, who I assume was the father of the two kids stepped in front of my vehicle and stopped me with the hand thing like he was a traffic cop pulling me over.

The guy starts berating me and just keeps going on about how unsafe a driver I am going on and on, blah blah. I was fairly certain he was going to try a citizens arrest or something haha. Unfortunately I was driving a company vehicle at the time so I couldn't just tell the guy to fuck off or anything so I kind of just sat there apologetic for a few minutes while he threatened to call my employer, cops ect.

At this point I'm kind of stopped in the middle of the street, which leaves just enough room for a car to go around on either side. An Suv is approaching and decides he'll go around me on the wrong side of the road since there is a car parked fairly close to me on my drivers side. I'm not exactly sure what happened but the Suv ran over one of the kids bikes (just the tire/spokes) which was laying in the street a few feet from the curb.

I wanted to go with some smart ass comment so bad, but just bit my tongue and moved along as the jerk off ran after the Suv (swearing in front these kids I might add). I did not believe in karma until that day, 100% true story. I swear every other person in this city thinks they are judge jury and executioner. What goes around comes around man.

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
@PGTze: I LOL'd :rofl:

If it weren't for that SUV, I would have rolled down the window (so he could see what I was doing), ignored every word he was saying, calmly pick up my cellphone, and dial 911/266-1234, explaining to the dispatcher that there was a man stopping my vehicle as if he was a police officer and proceeding to berate and harass me when I had done nothing wrong.

CPS wouldn't have come out (although I would be willing to wait, say 15-20 minutes if they would come), but at the very least, the guy would shut up and go away. :angel:

2fast4me
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
can one protest to have playground zone removed?
What's with the playground zone right on 14st NW + McEwan Drive?? The light is green and everyone fucking drives 30km/hr....haha.

Where's the playground and why does the zone cross traffic lights? fucking irritating....

Kloubek
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Could be worse. We could have the cops hitting pedestrians. But this was more of a "senior zone" moreso than a schoolzone....

I laughed my ass off.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8orkOhvwM

tomt64
08-26-2008, 11:30 PM
A bit related...

When I was in the Provincial Court recently for a ticket I got on 22x, the first person up was a late 40 early 50yr old woman who got caught doing 97kmh in a playground zone.
I almost howled and had to bite my tongue when I heard the judge say that.

adam c
08-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Could be worse. We could have the cops hitting pedestrians. But this was more of a "senior zone" moreso than a schoolzone....

I laughed my ass off.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8orkOhvwM

lol at the song playing...

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by tomt64
A bit related...

When I was in the Provincial Court recently for a ticket I got on 22x, the first person up was a late 40 early 50yr old woman who got caught doing 97kmh in a playground zone.
I almost howled and had to bite my tongue when I heard the judge say that. LOL. 97 in a 30... jeeeezus.

bwling
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I agree with rage2.

I have traveled to Mexico, China and Peru recently, and in those countries everyone looks before crossing the street. Who can stop faster? A 3000lb+ vehicle or a person?

People need to start taking responsibility for their own safety instead of assuming that others should bear that responsibility for them.

Ymerej472008
08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
The worse is when you're not speeding, those old farts are working on their garden, and they chuck dirt or spray water at you. I usually stop for those and get all asian gangsta (complete with fobby accent) to scare those fuckers. Least I can do since it necessitates a 30 minute car wash to clean that shit up.
HAHAHAH I love the people that throw stuff at your car. I had some buddies cruising along in Evergreen, going UNDER the speed limit and this random Dad walking with his child took off his flip flop and frisbee tossed it at my friends car like he was a ninja or something. HILARIOUS!

TYMSMNY
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by bwling
I agree with rage2.

I have traveled to Mexico, China and Peru recently, and in those countries everyone looks before crossing the street. Who can stop faster? A 3000lb+ vehicle or a person?

People need to start taking responsibility for their own safety instead of assuming that others should bear that responsibility for them.

exactly. People think that they have some sort of protection bubble around them. Lots of people don't even wait at an intersection and just walk onto the streets thinking that everyone is going to stop for them. Some people just don't!

Vehicles > People ... even in Canada.

rage2
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Just this morning, some chick just crosses a 2 lane 70km/h road right in front of me without looking (John Laurie). She heard the cars coming, looked (all this while she's 1/2 way across) then started to run. That's the first time she looked... in the middle of the fucking street. Crazy shit.

If I drove a nice quiet Tesla Roadster, the bitch would've been dead :thumbsdow.