PDA

View Full Version : speedometer ~10kmh off than actual speed

cityhunter2501
05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
just bought a 94 integra with b16 swap done by speedtech last year.

previous owner forgot to mention it to me but I noticed that the speedometer is 10kmh off than real speed.
so if my speedometer says 40kmh I'm actually going 30 (noticed this in playground zone).

I dont want to take my chances with cops, so would like to get this fixed, anyone know how to do this?

Euro_Trash
05-11-2007, 02:40 PM
What size of wheels are you running?

teggypimp95
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
WOuldent matter what size of wheels. Its not going to put it off 10km doing 30. Maybe if you were running 18s and doing 200 it would be off around 10km. See if you have a bud or try jdm source and find a differnce cluster. Quickly swap it over and see if that fixes the problem or not.

cityhunter2501
05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I'll stop by tomorrow at speedtech then and see if they have an appropriate cluster.

yeah, wheels are 14s so its definetly not the problem, was talking about this with a friend earlier and told me that its probably because engine and transmission are jdm.

CivicTunr
05-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
I'll stop by tomorrow at speedtech then and see if they have an appropriate cluster.

yeah, wheels are 14s so its definetly not the problem, was talking about this with a friend earlier and told me that its probably because engine and transmission are jdm.

i have a jdm engine in my car, and its only off by like 3-4 kms when im at 50km.

teggypimp95
05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I have had jdm engines and them never be off.

CivicTunr
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
yah my speedo is off, but i dunno if its the engine, i am also on 13" wheels :burnout:

seer_claw
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
WOuldent matter what size of wheels. Its not going to put it off 10km doing 30. Maybe if you were running 18s and doing 200 it would be off around 10km. See if you have a bud or try jdm source and find a differnce cluster. Quickly swap it over and see if that fixes the problem or not.

It does matter what size wheels you are running, it makes a huge difference in the rotational wheel speed with larger or smaller tires. You can change rims but you have to change the rubber size to match the same outer diameter respectively.

Check out this link, it doesn't give a lot of tire ranges but it shows a good deal about tire speeds and sizes.

Tire Speed Calculator (http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/pages/tiresizes.asp)

I put in my tires and they differ from the stock by the tire height 195-55R15 (stock) - 195-50R15 are the new rubber on the rims, same rims. WIth stock rubber I'd be going 60mph with the new rubber decrease that to 58mph. Doesn't seem like a lot but its ~4km/h difference. If I lower the rubber size to 195-40R15 the speed drops to 56mph or
~7km/h difference. Tire size makes a huge difference to how fast your speedometer shows that you are going.

Before spouting off false information you should really look up to see if you have correct information before telling people to go buy new items when then may not need them. :banghead:

GQBalla
05-11-2007, 04:05 PM
can't you just get it recalibrated by mr speedometer?

soloracer
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
can't you just get it recalibrated by mr speedometer?

Probably not because I believe it's a sealed unit. For the record Honda only gaurantees their speedo's to be within 10%. When I had my 90 Prelude I had to get a ticket reduced by 6 km/h by 100 km/h and managed to do so by getting tires with a taller sidewall. Saved my license those tires did. :thumbsup: