PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a ring appraised and resized?

Strider
05-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Need to find a good place today...

Thanks!

PINOY-X
05-12-2007, 12:04 PM
any jewelry place

Rx7
05-12-2007, 12:13 PM
my friend had it done at the bay

Amysicle
05-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Pawn shop.

PINOY-X
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Pawn shop.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

megadethmer
05-13-2007, 01:47 AM
actually this is a good question..i guess it depends on the ring, what you paid, and what you think it is possibly worth..jewellers can be sneaky little fucks, so it is important to choose one that is reputable and trustworthy..i would say its worth the extra money, even if the price is double at spence or peoples or something like that, as opposed to a privately owned business that you are unfamiliar with...i say this because, 6mos ago my grandpa bought my nana an anniversary ring with a $4CARAT$ diamond in it and somehow one of the claws became loose, so they took it in to be tighted, and the jeweler SWITCHED the diamonds! they know this because the clarity didnt seem the same when my nana got it back (and shes just paranoid in general..shes had some bad jewelry luck) so they got it looked at by a gemologist or what have youand it was confirmed a replica.
In such a case, there is really no recourse for them (even though they have tried most everything) because despite having certificates and papers on the original ring, there is no way they can prove that the jeweller was the person/business that switched the diamond.

Si_FlyGuy
05-13-2007, 09:03 AM
4 Carat??:eek:

The Cosworth
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
the ring could be resized anywhere (decent jeweler anyways), and if you want it appraised for insurance purposes they might have a list of people who you should use

R!zz0
05-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris
the ring could be resized anywhere (decent jeweler anyways),

Walmart does a good job :rofl:

Take it Ben Moss they're really good.

lint
05-13-2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.intergemlabs.com/

Independent and GIA trained

Strider
05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by megadethmer
actually this is a good question..i guess it depends on the ring, what you paid, and what you think it is possibly worth..jewellers can be sneaky little fucks, so it is important to choose one that is reputable and trustworthy..i would say its worth the extra money, even if the price is double at spence or peoples or something like that, as opposed to a privately owned business that you are unfamiliar with...i say this because, 6mos ago my grandpa bought my nana an anniversary ring with a $4CARAT$ diamond in it and somehow one of the claws became loose, so they took it in to be tighted, and the jeweler SWITCHED the diamonds! they know this because the clarity didnt seem the same when my nana got it back (and shes just paranoid in general..shes had some bad jewelry luck) so they got it looked at by a gemologist or what have youand it was confirmed a replica.
In such a case, there is really no recourse for them (even though they have tried most everything) because despite having certificates and papers on the original ring, there is no way they can prove that the jeweller was the person/business that switched the diamond.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of... any recommendations on a good reputable place? I was thinking about taking it to Calgary Jewellry, but I've since heard some stories about them switching stones.

I'm also considering taking it to Brinkhaus, but they quoted me $150 to resize, whereas Calgary Jewellery quoted $60.

Originally posted by lint
http://www.intergemlabs.com/

Independent and GIA trained

Thanks... I'll give them a try... there's other ones listed in the yellow pages, but when I call them, they sound pretty shady.

clem24
05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey I got my wife's ring (then fiance) resized at the ground floor jeweller in Chinatown Dragon City. They did a fantastic job. And what's good is that he brings you to the back with him while he works on it so your ring is NEVER out of your sight. He even gives you back the piece that he cut off in case you ever want to expand the size again. Cost me $25 cash.

Unless you trust the jeweller or if you ring is plastic to begin with, never leave your ring with any shop.

lint
05-15-2007, 01:33 PM
If your diamond has a certificate, then a serial number should be etched into the edge. If you're worried about a swap, make sure you're allowed to check for it when you bring it in and before you leave. Should be visible with a 10x scope.

G
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Take it to Calgary Jewelers on 17th ave sw they are very professional. They will put your rock under a microscope and draw out the imperfections. You are then asked to look into the microscope to confirm the drawing. Since most rocks have some sort of imperfection it is kindof like a finger print. When you pick up your rock they will put it under the microscope again to prove that it is the same rock you droped off.