PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Car

kongaj
05-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Im looking to purchase a car from the Vancouver area.
Im weighing my options of either driving it back, or shipping it.
Anyone know a thought on how much it would cost to ship a car from Vancouver to Calgary?
Any advice from other people who have done it before?
Thanks

Spoons
05-13-2007, 02:51 AM
I would say drive it back, but thats just cause I don't trust any shipping company worth a darn. Plus, your gonna want to drive your new car, and what better way to take a long trip that with windy roads :D :burnout:

. o 69 o .
05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I would ship it. It might cost $400, but its better then a break down on rogers pass and then a $400 tow back to Calgary.
Plus, when you ship it, they cover it bumper to bumper with insurance, thats why the prices are the way they are.

I just bought a car from toronto. Sure I could drive it from there to calgary in 2 and a half days, but I would have to pay to fly to toronto to pick it, somehow get a valid means of plating it for the journey, plus gas(ouch) and lodging on the way back... plus the drive sucks... so IMO its more worth shipping it. Whats your time worth?

swiftcrx
05-16-2007, 09:42 PM
what kind of car are you looking at
just wondering if its from that area is it a japanese car? im sure it would be pretty fun cruising back down the highway in some jdm machine

barbarian
05-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd watch out for rail for the time being. CP track workers are on strike. The trains are still running, but track maintenance will suffer. I imagine if there's a mudslide or something, the line could be down for a while.

lilmira
05-16-2007, 10:35 PM
You can fly me there and I'll drive it back for ya.
I'll throw in a cash wash. :)

. o 69 o .
05-18-2007, 06:34 AM
my car was put on rail in toronto last friday, it arrived in calgary yesterday. All i have to do is get my OOP and Im set. No hassel caused from the strike.

bennyhanna
05-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Just an FYI

There is another Mud slide just outside of Golden, BC. And the Train goes right through there

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171487/car-shipping-disaster/

This happened to me and others

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I just found a dealer shipping cars to calgary who didn't have a full truck and they let me put my car on for $300.

Euro838
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
If there are no travel delays, I'd consider driving from Vancouver, just because it's not an extremely long drive i.e. 10-12 hours vs 2-3 days and it's not a boring drive. Not factoring in your time and effort, you'll probably save $100-200 depending if you have accommodations and such. If you want to visit Vancouver and have a reason to go there, then drive, otherwise ship it.

SilverGS
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Depends on what is more important to you.

Unless there is more reason like visiting friends and having a car to drive there or to be able to check the car out in person before you buy it.

You may save $100 but for 10 more hours worth of your time I don't think its worth it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/168057/should-i-ship-or-drive/

gamman
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
where are you getting the cars from Mitsu? Any more space? Toronto or Van?

. o 69 o .
05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
[B] it's not an extremely long drive i.e. 10-12 hours vs 2-3 days B]

Yes, but you have to take into account getting to vancover, eating along the way, accomidation, more food and gas @ $1.21/L

I think now is the best time to ship a car.

kongaj
05-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I was looking at buying an older vw from port coquitlum. Im still undecided.
What companies did you guys ship with with? Good or bad experiences?

. o 69 o .
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
hansens is good if you are in calgary, searail if you are in edmonton

95EagleAWD
05-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by . o 69 o .
Plus, when you ship it, they cover it bumper to bumper with insurance, thats why the prices are the way they are.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hahahah, fat chance there! If your car is damaged during shipping, you are SOL!

I've seen a TON of cars damaged during shipping, including my Galant VR-4, and you know what the universal answer from the companies has been when you try and claim against them?

GET FUCKED.

If you want your car in one piece, pick it up and drive it.

. o 69 o .
05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Galant VR-4 sounds like a RHD mitsubishi, so the chance that it was shipped from japan damaged or damaged by their shipping people are higher then it got damaged on this side.

Few of my buddies bought JDM cars just from auction photos and auction reports and when the cars got here, they were disappointed. The motors are always fucked, wiring is always butchered, and if its a RWD car, they have usually hard a hard life and the rear suspension is usually fucked too.
play it safe, buy something that is already here(canada)

Team_Mclaren
05-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Galant VR-4 sounds like a RHD mitsubishi, so the chance that it was shipped from japan damaged or damaged by their shipping people are higher then it got damaged on this side.

Few of my buddies bought JDM cars just from auction photos and auction reports and when the cars got here, they were disappointed. The motors are always fucked, wiring is always butchered, and if its a RWD car, they have usually hard a hard life and the rear suspension is usually fucked too.

no, it was a LHD car.

If you search, you can find tons of stories involving damage caused by the shipping company.
Van is really not that far... save money or not, go pick it up.

95EagleAWD
05-21-2007, 06:58 AM

It's not a RHD car. It was driven onto the trailer in Denver by the previous owner, and somehow, in the custody of Car Courier's, Inc, it was destroyed. Mysteriously, when the car got to Calgary, it wouldn't start, so they flatbedded it to Edmonton. When I took off the valve cover, rocker arms and valves everywhere. Blown engine, only cost me 4 grand to have rebuilt.

Fuckers!!! They absolutely trashed my car and told me to get fucked when I filed a claim against them.

I will NEVER ship a car again.

pardip_johal
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
go pick it up :thumbsup: ....I would never trust a shipping company with my new car:guns:

bigbadboss101
05-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Vancouver is short drive, yeah go drive it. I am looking at a Subaru in Ottawa. Anyone know how long the drive is? Probably would go and check car out and since I will be there already, might as well drive it back.

Mr.William
05-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd say drive it if you can

Weapon_R
05-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Pickup is your best choice. The shipping companies typically have a waiver that they make you sign so that they aren't responsible for minor damage and they will only cover a portion in the event of total loss. That is what searail made me sign when I used them (10k total loss limit for a claim)

. o 69 o .
05-28-2007, 04:50 PM
drive from ottawa would be 3-4 days of long driving.