PDA

View Full Version : 2000 VR6 MAFs?????

ddmmak
06-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Hey guys.. well my engine light stayed on for a week so I brought it in to Southcentre fine cars... they did a diagnostic and said it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor... so they are going to charge me 535 to do it. It is the part, labour and the diagnostic test...isnt the MAF under warranty or recalled..for 2000 jettas??? I went to concept 1 and they said they can install it and it will cost 350 to do everything....they will pick up the MAF from VW and do it in 20 minutes... VW said it would take 1 hr to install..are they ripping me off??? i then called VW canada and complained.. and they started a case for me..they said they would contact the dealership and see what they can do...either i pay the 535 for it or i dont pay at all or pay at a discounted price.... who knows what the deal is with the MAFs???

redx2nv
06-11-2003, 10:26 AM
a maf shoudl be no more than 20 minutes to replace, they are going to try and make money off of you...they will send out a claim to vw and charge you thus them getting a shitload of money...

threaten legal action or go to anoher dealer if they dont cover it, this obviously NOT a wear item...

warranty and dealers are scam artists, avoid like the plague..

VWhooligan
06-11-2003, 11:43 AM
ive had a few maf's fail on me in my time. and i think the recall was only for 2.0 engines. i had mine replaced on warranty with my old 2.0 and then I had to replace one because i had an intake and it fried it. 2.0 MAF's only cost about $150 though.

go to Concept 1. they'll take care of you and give you a good deal.

ddmmak
06-11-2003, 05:03 PM
ok cool... well im still waiting for VW canada to call me to see if they can do anything.... is it alright to drive with the check light on??? the light actually came off today...so i dont know if I should still get it done or postpone it until later....

00-Dub
06-11-2003, 09:39 PM
You will be ok, I am in the same situation. The car will just run a little rich. Anyways you might want to borrow a 2.0 vin # and do the maf housing swap. The 2.0 sensor inside according to most people is exactly the same but 1/10th the price. There is lots of info on this at the vortex.

ddmmak
06-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks.... i might just go to concept 1 and ask them today. friggin vws.... hows your fuel economy??? mine sucks.... is it because of the MAFs?

VWhooligan
06-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 00-Dub
You will be ok, I am in the same situation. The car will just run a little rich. Anyways you might want to borrow a 2.0 vin # and do the maf housing swap. The 2.0 sensor inside according to most people is exactly the same but 1/10th the price. There is lots of info on this at the vortex.

actually, the 2.0 MAF can only be put on 2000 (AWD) 1.8t's.. it doesnt work for the other engines. And the VR6 MAF has an inner diameter of 2.75" i think, which is bigger than all others.

szw
06-12-2003, 11:22 AM
since theres nothing immediately wrong with the car, maybe call some wrecking yards to see if they have a cheap used one.

Should try to find one that will guarantee it or some sort.

littledan
06-12-2003, 11:40 AM
are maf's more prone to failing than map sensors?? i remember sport compact car having problems with their turbo 2.5 rs :dunno:

00-Dub
06-12-2003, 05:22 PM
actually, the 2.0 MAF can only be put on 2000 (AWD) 1.8t's.. it doesnt work for the other engines. And the VR6 MAF has an inner diameter of 2.75" i think, which is bigger than all others.

This is wrong. The 2.0 MAF can not be used for the 1.8t. Now yes the diameter of the vr6 and 2.0 housing is different, but the sensor is the same. That is why you keep the vr6 housing and you just switch the sensors. This is fully documented on the vortex, do a search on it. You will find plenty of threads with install pictures, etc, etc, etc.

prosh
06-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I had mine go bad on me within the first year after getting my car. They did the job under warranty, just recently, I had it go bad on me again and it cost me 500 and some change.

Its kinda silly cuz its a 300 bux part and its as fragile as a light bulb. As for recall or warranty, unless your cars still got its new car warranty or extended warranty, they won't replace it for you for free...

atomic
06-13-2003, 02:47 PM
buy me 2 beer @ kilkenny and i'll change it for u and we'll even clean your throttle body .. we can check pick your part for one .. or simply order an aftermarket one off ebay or something .

and they're not as "sensetive as a light bulb" .. dude it's a heat sensetive resistor :P

here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33557&item=2419341124