PDA

View Full Version : Things I miss about Calgary

bigbadboss101
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok, I still have a home in Calgary but am working in OilSands.
Alright here but I miss many things about Calgary.

- Good restaurants. We do not have Indian, Greek, Thai,
Vietnamese, Mexican, Ethiopian, Dim Sum, etc.

- Clean streets. I can wash my car and it will be dusty in 2
hours.

- T & T super market. First place I go when I am home for
weekend.

- Airport. Lack of parking at the airport.

- Stores that are well stocked.

- People that don't swear 400 wpm.

- Shopping. Our bigger mall here is smaller than the smallest
mall in Calgary. No Future Shop, Costco, T & T, Old Navy,
Winners, Lulu. We do have a small Sport Chek and La Senza
though.

- Nice gyms. Ones here are packed and small.

- Customer service. I know it's deteriating everywhere but...

- Car dealerships. We have Toyota, Ford, GM, and Chev. Nice to
see Subaru, Honda, Acura.

- Lot more attractive ladies in Cowtown. It seems all good women
here are either married, living with someone, or have multiple
boyfriends. There are some good ones, but hard to find.

I will be home soon enough
:clap: :clap

dj_rice
05-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Where is OilSands located?

NATAS.KAUPAS
05-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Where is OilSands located?

lol, crawl out from under the rock.

redbaron303
05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by NATAS.KAUPAS

lol, crawl out from under the rock.

hahahaha. I had to laugh at this comment@! It's great! :0

Even when I was in Vancouver for the last three weeks, I missed Calgary... oh well.

sputnik
05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
People that don't swear 400 wpm.

That's what you get when you live in a town full of dirtbags.

adam c
05-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by redbaron303

hahahaha. I had to laugh at this comment@! It's great! :0

x2

zieg
05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I miss Calgary too. Living in Vancouver right now for school. Here's a short list of my own of why Calgary > van:

-The roads are in better shape
-The speed limits are higher (out here there are almost no roads that are higher than 50. it's like just a bunch of elbow drives everywhere. Imagine taking elbow from 22x to the airport every day.)
-Cleaner
-less crime
-emissions testing! boooooo!
-ICBC
-no Beyond, only ricescene, er I mean revscene....

I know several people that moved to Calgary from Van and say Calgary sucks By comparison. I now see that they are just dumb. :goflames:

kaishen
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
i was in calgary for a month at june/2006. It was my first time there and how i wished i could be there after i finished my studies. Oh yah i am from singapore

things i missed in calgary/canada:

friendly people: i think its the western culture that people are more vocal, singaporeans are friendly too but they are not that expressive as you guys. every single shop you enter in calgary will be pleasantly greeted by the shopkeepers

parking space: realise that most parking lots in calgary do not require you to pay to park, and there's ample parking space.

nice mountains: missed the drive down the banff...its amazing how beautiful these mountains are

shopping culture: you can refund almost anything and no much questions asked. Over in singapore, you got to explain why you need an exchange. they dont do refunds here either.

friendly drivers: they stop when they see that you are crossing. You do not need a skill to cross roads if you are in asia. drivers here in singapore do slow down but not stop.

cowtown stampede: great festival!

the weather: sick of tropical weather so felt that weather over at cowtown is much better.

things that i dislike abt calgary....with comparison to singapore

1. shops are closed too early. was pretty surprised that most shops in downtown close at ard 6pm. overhere in singapore, shops are closed generally at 9:30pm, with some shops opening for 24hrs. Macdonalds is 24 hours here too.

2. no nearby beaches due to geographical location.Correct me if i'm wrong, Think u guys need to have a long drive to get to the nearest beach

3. lack of public transport in calgary. i think its because land is huge in calgary thats why it is not feasible to cover every single part, and cars are cheap in calgary. on the contrary, in singapore, landspace is scarce. cars are expensive. cheapest used car sells at ard 10,000cad and they usually have an expiry date of prob 5 years. a toyota camry 2.4 sells at ard 65000cad here.

anyway to sum up, i loved calgary, love the people, the landscape. u guys are a fortunate bunch.

frozenrice
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
I know several people that moved to Calgary from Van and say Calgary sucks By comparison. I now see that they are just dumb. :goflames:

I find in general that people from Vancouver are chronic complainers. I've never met anyone from there that actually likes any other city besides Vancouver.

Allan, Ft. Mac starting to get to you huh?

Maddog55
05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I miss Calgary too. Living in Vancouver right now for school. Here's a short list of my own of why Calgary > van:

-The speed limits are higher (out here there are almost no roads that are higher than 50. it's like just a bunch of elbow drives everywhere. Imagine taking elbow from 22x to the airport every day.)
-Cleaner
-less crime
-emissions testing! boooooo!
-ICBC
-no Beyond, only ricescene, er I mean revscene....

Where abouts are you living, Zig?? Huge difference, depending on the area. Put someone in Calgary and house them down by the Cecil and ask them what they think of Calgary. Or put them over in Signal Hill and ask that person the same question...you'll get two different answers. Vancouver has crappy areas and really nice areas..all depends on where you're living/working/commuting. I dare you to go down to Stanley Park and have lunch at an outdoor cafe on a hot day in April, with fresh snow on the mountains and flowers in full bloom and say that Vancouver sucks. Both cities have thier high points and low points.

zieg
05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I live in point gray. I commute to BCIT. Enough said?

Maddog55
05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
hahaha...ouch..that IS an ugly commute! What do you take..Broadway the whole way? yeah that'd be brutal everyday. Best bet would be to get on 12th right away, which turns into grandview and jump onto hwy 1 and take the willingdon exit. or even hop up to Kingsway then down Boundary and over to Willingdon. Fightin both downtown traffic and the commuters though. Thats gotta be almost 45 min drive with bad traffic?
Point grey though..very nice area! I used to live in a little house right on the corner of Broadway and Alma. Little corner store there now. I played hockey up at UBC.
There's a nice bar on Broadway just west of Alma called "Lou's Grill". Great calamari and wings!
Make sure you head down to Spanish Banks on a hot weekend and catch all the girls beach volleyball! Gotta be about 30 courts set up there.
Then of course you can always head over to Wreck! ;)

frozenrice
05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I can say maddog is right about getting two different answers. I currently live in Signal Hill and I lived in Victoria Park at one time years ago. Signal Hill owns Victoria Park anyday.
As for Vancouver, I really enjoy visiting there and I have considered moving there. And there is always that chance that I still might. The only problem is I just can't stand the general attitude out there. As of late though, I'm not sure if Calgary is that much better.

zieg
05-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55
hahaha...ouch..that IS an ugly commute! What do you take..Broadway the whole way? yeah that'd be brutal everyday. Best bet would be to get on 12th right away, which turns into grandview and jump onto hwy 1 and take the willingdon exit. or even hop up to Kingsway then down Boundary and over to Willingdon. Fightin both downtown traffic and the commuters though. Thats gotta be almost 45 min drive with bad traffic?
Point grey though..very nice area! I used to live in a little house right on the corner of Broadway and Alma. Little corner store there now. I played hockey up at UBC.
There's a nice bar on Broadway just west of Alma called "Lou's Grill". Great calamari and wings!
Make sure you head down to Spanish Banks on a hot weekend and catch all the girls beach volleyball! Gotta be about 30 courts set up there.
Then of course you can always head over to Wreck! ;)

Actually, I'm down by the beach pretty often. It is a nice place. And I've been to Lou's grill! Didnt try the calamari (Can't stand seafood. How messed up is that that I live here and hate seafood?) but whatever. Nice place.

As for the route I take, it varies depending on construction and crap. Usually I just hop on 12th and take it all the way to the #1 like you said. Sometimes I go on Kingsway and if I need to make a stop somewhere, taking 41st also works well because there are fewer lights and everyone speeds. If I'm doing the trip at like 11 pm it will take 20 minutes, when it's rush hour more like an hour. :(

Khyron
05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I note for the record that bigbadboss101 is upset there is no LuLu Lemon in Ft. Mac...

:rofl:

bigbadboss101
05-14-2007, 10:01 PM
I enjoy Vancouver. Rains a lot in the winter but driving condition is good, weather wise. My sister live near Kits beach and up a few street (4th I believe) there are tons of little shops. One can walk everywhere to eat, shop etc. In some areas there are a lot of fit people, and pretty ladies.

Calgary is nice as it's home. Prices are getting high but hey I will hesitate to complain about Calgary as I have been to other places. WE got it good in Calgary.

Kaos
05-14-2007, 10:13 PM

-Cleaner

I think the roads out in Van are way better than here.
And Van is alot cleaner as well.
They actually have a recycling program!!!
Less garbage kicking around.

FiveFreshFish
05-14-2007, 10:14 PM
You won't miss the summer construction here that's clogging up the roads. It'll get really bad after Stampede.

:thumbsdow

01RedDX
05-14-2007, 11:24 PM

spyce
05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
edit: my bad..posted in the wrong thread

finboy
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

in some area's the roads aren't as good, personally when i'm in vancouver i usually end up hanging out in white rock or the nicer part of surrey (yes, there are decent parts of surrey), but downtown is always nice for a visit. as for cleaner, one thing i noticed while walking around in the suburbs of vancouver is that there is a lot more garbage/litter on the sides of the road, which is really sad to see when you are walking through a really nice areas. then there is the huge amount of homeless downtown, but when you have a rich city with mild winters, its bound to happen.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
I really need to get out of this city again for a little bit, because I am starting to grow weary of all the crap.

:werd:
can't wait until august long, penticton shuold be a nice break from this city :thumbsup:

zieg
05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

I guess it's all about where in the city you are. I mean, there aren't many roads that I take that are as bad as, say, the roads that go right by Queen E. Junior/senior high school, but at the same time I think most roads are older and have settled unevenly, been patched up a million times, etc. Most of my drive to school (straight through van city) is full of some heavy vibrations and steering around potholes. And this is all on a stock suspension.

As for garbage, didn't Calgary get voted the cleanest city in N. America or something? Whereas here I see bits of styrofoam collected under every fence, the area beneath the skytrain track looks like a landfill, etc.

TimG
05-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I lived in Kitsilano for a year near Broadway and Larch. God I miss Kits.

Supa Dexta
05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Fort Mac f-in sux...! It's a waste of time usually to even leave camp and go in there... Make your money and get out... I'm interested to see what changes will take place when suncor and syncrude turn up the dial on personal needs/commercial developments. Once the airport is open and they start building commercially fort mac can go to hell.. People would be amazed at the amount of work going on up here.. The airport suncor is building will be able to handle 737's, and they are putting in a 5k person camp not far from there... The one I am in already has 1500...

400k for a trailer, get real fort mac, your a god damn dirty hole...