PDA

View Full Version : Suggest some new music for me?

Zero102
05-14-2007, 02:40 AM
I have finally gotten totally sick of every single album on my MP3 player in my car. I am looking for something new, and when I lived in Calgary I would just turn CJAY on every now and then and find a few bands I liked, then get their albums. Unfortunately I live in a radio-deprived area (i.e. every station plays only pop/hip hop).
Somebody please reccomend some new rock/metal bands for me to listen to.... everything I am listening to now is pushing 10 years old

Some albums/artists currently on my list to give you guys an idea:
RATM - Every album
Metallica - Every album
Nickelback - Every album (not totally sick of their newer stuff yet)
Sevendust - Every album (also not toally sick, but still don't want to listen to only them)
Three Days Grace - All albums
Green Day - All albums
Avril Lavigne - Yeah that's right, I said Avril.....
Finger Eleven - All albums - Still partial to greyest of blue skies, but tired of the rest

So on and so forth. I listen to everything from avril through to slayer, but I have very little patience for country and rap/hip hop. Less happy about pop music but would still prefer to the aforementioned 2 genres.

Please suggest something new, I am presently driving around with the radio turned off just to get to/from work, but I have a 7 hour trip coming up next weekend, and I would rather not go insane on it. I am open to just about any suggestions.

I seriously feel like an old man right now, all the music I listen to is 10 years old and almost belongs on oldie's stations... not cool.

Datsun-Fever
05-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Rammmmmmstein

thrasher22
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
^^ I'm really liking their newish Rosenot album

I'm really getting into The human abstract, In this Moment lately, and All that remains, all metal bands, and pretty heavy.

Ever check out alice in chains or faith no more? Both sick 90's bands that many people overlook, but its timeless IMO.

Mr. Burns
05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Zero102
05-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Got every rammstein album on there, along with megaherz.
Perhaps I just listen to too much music?... Nothing left to hear? :(

Zero102
05-16-2007, 09:32 AM
How about a change in genres....
Getting desperate, this trip is coming up soon :D
I've always been somewhat partial to techno/electronica, but I don't know any half decent groups/artists/whatever they are called in techno.
Are there any albums I can grab that are sort of a good introduction to techno? I don't even know anybody that listens to it, so I can't even ask them :(

bspot
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
One thread up from yah, download their mix. Their last one was pretty solid. I'm listening to this one as I type and it's great so far.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176558/new-leung-wan-trance-mix/

KenP
05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
CKY
H.I.M

snowboard
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Underoath
Alexisonfire
a static lullaby
silverstein
taking back sunday
the devil wears prada (hard stuff)
norma jean (pretty damn hardcore though)
hawthorne hieghts
rise against
adair

snowboard
05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
yo check out myspace music
its THE BEST place to find good music, im tellin yah.

im not a myspace member, but i still listen so dont worry about that.

KenP
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Evergreen Terrace
Pantera
NOFX

katana9x4
05-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I think I have a good grasp on the "electronic" side of music... so here I go, in no particular order!

808 state:
- in yer face, pacific(grovrider mix if you can find), azura, cubik
Aphex twin - try finding:
- analogue bubblebath, windowlicker, polygon window
Paul Oakenfold
Dj Tiesto (majik albums)
Sander Van Doorn (a must IMO)
Laurent Garnier
Airwave
Club Quake
Jeff Mills
Lorin Bassnectar
Cybotron:
- Alleys of your mind
- clear
- boogie down bronx
Daft Punk
Boards of Canada (quite possibly the best music ever)
Buckethead
Ratata
Fatboy slim
Chemical brothers
Minilogue:
- hitchhikers choice
Mr .Oizo
Warp Brothers
The crystal method
Infected Mushroom
Kraftwerk:
- we are the robots, popcorn

That should give you a wide enough spectrum of music to start with. Lemme know what ya think.

brownskind
05-19-2007, 04:23 AM
i stopped listenin to metal/rock/alternative after i started learning how to play jazz but these are a few of my favourites i didnt see on ur list

Alice In Chains
STP
Chris Cornell or Soundgarden
if you like guitar shit then check out Joe Satrianis albums

i havent heard anything recent that i liked unless u consider deftones and finger eleven new

U2 and Live were pretty good inspirational bands...

three.eighteen.
05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
i know how you feel but i ended up going back in time, music these days just isn't quite as good, i find myself eventually going back to the beatles and nirvana every couple of years, lately I've really been digging the stevie ray vaughn

GTS Jeff
05-19-2007, 10:53 PM
IMO Gabriel & Dresden have been at the cutting edge of progressive electronica for the past three years and they show no sign of giving up anytime soon. Download some sets by them and have a listen. The last great one was:

Gabriel & Dresden - Live in Acapulco - Feb 02 2007