PDA

View Full Version : Are flashbangs legal?

Super_Geo
05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm guessing the answer's no... but I thought I'd check.

I've always wanted a couple kicking around the house in case there's an intruder. I don't imagine you'd be able to buy them in a store, but I have been told there are ways to make ones yourself.

I would love to have someone try to break in only to get flashbanged... followed by the beating of a lifetime.

Another idea I had was to get one of those MP5 airsoft guns and mod the shit out of the tank and internals so that instead of shotting plastic BBs at 500fps it would shoot metal BBs at 1500+ fps. And it would be fully automatic. I don't think it'd be as messy as shooting someone with a gun.

Haha take this thread with a grain of salt before you start flaming away.

GQBalla
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
im not sure about the flashbangs, but that would be hilarious to see if someone broke into a house and got flashed than got the shit kicked outta them.

but on the other note metal bb's at 1500 fps would break skin, i could see that gettin messy ahahah. juss a normal mp5 airsoft gun modded internals is enough imo.

DayGlow
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
it would be a prohibited exsplosive device

TKRIS
05-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I've always wanted a couple kicking around the house in case there's an intruder. I don't imagine you'd be able to buy them in a store, but I have been told there are ways to make ones yourself.

As a general rule, any tool that you'd be able use to defend yourself is prohibited in Canada.

I would love to have someone try to break in only to get flashbanged... followed by the beating of a lifetime.

Another idea I had was to get one of those MP5 airsoft guns and mod the shit out of the tank and internals so that instead of shotting plastic BBs at 500fps it would shoot metal BBs at 1500+ fps. And it would be fully automatic. I don't think it'd be as messy as shooting someone with a gun.

Why bother?
If you were to do that, your "Airsoft" gun would be considered a firearm (due to muzzle velocity). You'd be facing the same charges as if you had shot the intruder with an illegal pistol.
If you're going to get charged with a firearms offence, you might as well use a shotgun. Much more effective.

That said:
Get your PAL
Get an 870
Comply with legal storage laws, but make it as easy as possibly for you to get to if you need to.

Remington 870 (triggerlocked) under the bed beside a locked ammo box with plenty of ammo in it. Have both the triggerlock and ammobox lock keyed alike, the you only have to have 1 key to access both. Shouldn't take more than a minute to have the shotgun loaded and ready.
Use 2 3/4" #6-#8 birdshot to avoid over penetration, at least for your first shots.

All the guns in the world won't do you a bit of good unless you know how to use them, so take the damned thing to the range enough that you get a feel for it.

Even if you have an alarm, the police will not get to your house in time to save your ass if the invader has bad intentions, nor is it their job to come smashing through the front door to protect you and yours.

Kris

EDIT: Rake that slide nice and loud. That's an unmistakable sound that'll probably have the bad guy pinching a loaf in his drawers.

arian_ma
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM

If that was legal, I'd leave my door open every night just so I could do it! hahahaha

Hakkola
05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Anybody know law regarding assault weapons in Canada. I wouldn't mind getting the civilian version of the gun I used in the army, it doesn't have a full automatic mode, which if I remember correctly is illegal, just single shot and 3 round burst.

95EagleAWD
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Anybody know law regarding assault weapons in Canada. I wouldn't mind getting the civilian version of the gun I used in the army, it doesn't have a full automatic mode, which if I remember correctly is illegal, just single shot and 3 round burst.

Pretty sure you can't even have 3-round burst in Canada.

The AR-15s you can buy here in Canada (M16A2) are made by Colt or Armalite, I'm pretty sure, and are single shot only. I've never seen a Deimaco AR-15.

barbarian
05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
If you want to make a big-ass flash, get some old flash bulbs, of the type that screw into a regular light bulb socket. They're huge ass, anyways. Put them in a lamp where you want to ambush the intruder, and run an extension cord with a switch to somewhere nearby. When they walk into that area, flip the switch, and the flash should blind the shit out of them. Well, unless the lights in the room were already on full.

Legless_Marine2
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
By Flashbang, you mean concussion grenade?

They are lethal, maiming devices, and will kill a child in a pinch. Double so in an enclosed space.

There are limited situations you could activate one safely - In your home isn't one of them.

You are safer without them around.

natejj
05-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

They are lethal, maiming devices, and will kill a child in a pinch. Double so in an enclosed space.

There are limited situations you could activate one safely - In your home isn't one of them.

You are safer without them around.

You're also more bored.... :angel:

Toms-SC
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Your in Canada, move to the States if you want to be able to protect yourself.

Hakkola
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Pretty sure you can't even have 3-round burst in Canada.

The AR-15s you can buy here in Canada (M16A2) are made by Colt or Armalite, I'm pretty sure, and are single shot only. I've never seen a Deimaco AR-15.

The gun I'm interested is the RK-95.

BlackArcher101
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

Two different things, flashbangs don't maim. They are designed to disorient a person long enough to take them down. Does this using light and sound, not physical shrapnel.

DayGlow
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
a flashbang is a less lethal distraction device, they aren't safe in any way. They can injure or kill if they go off to close to someone and they readily start fires.

ChokeEmOut
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
they readily start fires.

Huh? Readily?
...Reguarly?

eb0i
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ChokeEmOut

Huh? Readily?
...Reguarly?

Not very smart are you?

Readily
Adverb

* S: (adv) readily (without much difficulty) "these snakes can be identified readily"
* S: (adv) promptly, readily, pronto (in a punctual manner) "he did his homework promptly"

blinkme_210
05-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

As a general rule, any tool that you'd be able use to defend yourself is prohibited in Canada.

Wtf?? That can be like anything...... Fucked up laws we have here in Canada.

What's the deal with pepper sprays?

Weapon_R
05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

What's the deal with pepper sprays?

illegal

01RedDX
05-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Khyron
05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
http://images.quizilla.com/A/amaroqwolf/1108428713_uresKatana.jpg

Just be sure to kill, so he can't sue you. :P

BerserkerCatSplat
05-15-2007, 11:56 PM

Get your PAL
Get an 870
Comply with legal storage laws, but make it as easy as possibly for you to get to if you need to.

Remington 870 (triggerlocked) under the bed beside a locked ammo box with plenty of ammo in it. Have both the triggerlock and ammobox lock keyed alike, the you only have to have 1 key to access both. Shouldn't take more than a minute to have the shotgun loaded and ready.
Use 2 3/4" #6-#8 birdshot to avoid over penetration, at least for your first shots.

Best home defense advice right there. An 870 is cheap and reliable, and few guns have the sheer stopping power of a 12-gauge at close range. If you can get a stockless 870, it's even more maneuverable indoors.

95EagleAWD
05-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Best home defense advice right there. An 870 is cheap and reliable, and few guns have the sheer stopping power of a 12-gauge at close range. If you can get a stockless 870, it's even more maneuverable indoors.

Plus, they're fun as shit to play with. I can't believe I get paid at work to "train" with them.... :D

TKRIS
05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Too long, skinny, and requires too much swing to be an effective chopper, IMHO.
I'm much more partial to machetes and khukris. Much more versatile in a confined space.

That said, the 870 guarantees the guy isn't going to sue you.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

While a pistol grip is more manuverable, it's also harder to aim and takes more practice. Even if you don't have much firearm experience, most people have pretty quick target aquisition when they shoulder a riflestock.

Fabarm makes some awesome tactical shotties, if you've got some cash burning a hole in your pocket.

There have been recent clarifications in Candian firearms classifications. These open the door for some awesome toys that would previously have been unavailable. If you haven't heard about these, let me know in a PM and I'll do my best to explain. That invitation is directed as much at any police officers on this board as anyone else, as they're the ones we'll have to be explaining this to on the side of the road.

TKRIS
05-16-2007, 08:58 AM

Any AK-47 variant is prohibited in Canada. Even if it's strictly a semi-auto.

Why, you ask?
Because they're black and scary and it's a variant of the Self-Loading-Baby-Killing-Terrorist-Commie-AK-47(tm).

Same reason a AR-15 is a restricted weapon.
Yet I can buy a rifle that shoots the exact same caliber, with the same rate of fire, but does it more accuratly and with a greater range, and it's classified as a non-restricted, even though there's no relevant difference between these two rifles except aesthetics.

Do yourself a favor and don't even try to figure out Canadian firearms law.

The closest you're going to get in non-restricted form is an Armalite AR180B, a CZ 858.

Kris

Godfuader
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
http://images.quizilla.com/A/amaroqwolf/1108428713_uresKatana.jpg

:rofl: Thats what I have....with a different sheath. :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM

While a pistol grip is more manuverable, it's also harder to aim and takes more practice. Even if you don't have much firearm experience, most people have pretty quick target aquisition when they shoulder a riflestock.

Fabarm makes some awesome tactical shotties, if you've got some cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Absolutely true, I would recommend that a person get used to a bog-standard shotgun and have some practice with it before moving to a pistol grip - and then practice with that as well. I can't say I've had a chance to fire a pistol-grip shotgun, but I can imagine the recoil would be a lot tougher to deal with, considering you've lost your shoulder bracing.

Fabarm makes beautiful weapons, I'd love to get my hands on a Lion H38 or an Axis 12, but they're just so damn pricey.

01RedDX
05-16-2007, 03:03 PM

403Gemini
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

Not very smart are you?

Readily
Adverb

* S: (adv) readily (without much difficulty) "these snakes can be identified readily"
* S: (adv) promptly, readily, pronto (in a punctual manner) "he did his homework promptly"

lol common eb0i....

Originally posted by ChokeEmOut
I've greened out/tripped out ONCE.
And I have been smoking everyday for 4+ years.
Bud is still safe... Or atleast in Calgary it is..

who said smoking pot doesnt kill brain cells ;)

QuasarCav
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM

They don't teach you to call it a rifle in Finland? If you want a gun, join the artillery.

l8braker
05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
1. Find TAC Team truck
2. Smash out back window
3. Help yourself

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Any AK-47 variant is prohibited in Canada. Even if it's strictly a semi-auto.

Why, you ask?
Because they're black and scary and it's a variant of the Self-Loading-Baby-Killing-Terrorist-Commie-AK-47(tm).

Canadian gun laws are plain fucked. You can't get a 7.62X54R Dragunov because it's classified as a "variant or modified version" of the AK-47 - which is stretching the relationship about as far as you can imagine.

Argh.

Here's a quote from an NFA article that I thought was rather revealing:

The Department of Justice is characterized by arrogance, ignorance and incompetence. When the NFA requested, through the Access to Information Act, data on how firearms were chosen for Kim Campbell's lists (that later became Rock's lists), one of the things we received was hilariously funny.

Looking at their lists before our Access to Info data came in, no one could see any rational pattern at all. One of us speculated that they had gone through the Gun Digest and put tick marks next to every picture of a firearm that "looked nasty."

When the data arrived, it contained photocopies of pages from the Gun Digest, with an "X" next to every firearm that "looked nasty."

Hakkola
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

They don't teach you to call it a rifle in Finland? If you want a gun, join the artillery.

They don't teach us to use any english in the Finnish army. ;)

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

They don't teach us to use any english in the Finnish army. ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

retro-steve
05-16-2007, 04:56 PM
if anyone has any questions regarding canadian firearms laws feel free to PM me. I work at the edge and can probably answer any question you may have.

flashbangs: prohibited

OC spray: prohibited (bear and dog OK)

taser/stun gun: prohibited

12gauge: you shoot someone in your house, no matter what the circumstances and you're getting in a lot of trouble thanks to our friends the liberals and hippies.

storage on a non-restricted firearm is more lenient than a previous post would have you believe. ammo needs to be locked up and seperate from the gun, but an unloaded non-restricted can be stored any way you want.

TKRIS
05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve

storage on a non-restricted firearm is more lenient than a previous post would have you believe.

I'm assuming you're refering to my post.

ammo needs to be locked up and seperate from the gun,

Ammo needs to be locked up or stored seperatly from the gun. That's why I said that if you want your ammo sitting beside your 870 under the bed, it would have to be in a locked box.

but an unloaded non-restricted can be stored any way you want.

Unless you're storing it in a safe (or similar), it has to have a lock on it.

Presuming you wanted the gun and ammo under your bed (or somewhere similarly handy), how could you get away with anything less than the perameters I laid out?

FWIW: TSE kicks ass. One of the things I miss about living in Calgary.

EDIT: If you have a safe, you could keep the shotgun (unlocked) and the ammo (unlocked) both inside it, then you'd just have to open the safe. Problem is that this requires a safe.

Like Steve said, no matter what, you're going to be charged with something. Same if you guns ever get stolen. Doesn't matter how secure they were, you're almost definatly going to get charged with unsafe storage. Maybe not convicted, but charged.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.