PDA

View Full Version : Putting in fence posts

Daxin
05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I just put up some fence posts but a few of them I couldn't get the concrete all the way around it. What happened was that when I had the holes dug up (bobcat service), he kind of dug in an angle. I didn't notice it til the next day when I was putting up the posts. Basically, I poured the concrete all around except the one side. I'm wondering if this will start to hang after a while.

Masked Bandit
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
It doesn't sound like a very good start.

What if you fill the hole 1/2 with cement BEFORE you drop the post in, and then top off what you can?

Daxin
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I've already set the posts in. I'm thinking I might have to redig the side that doesn't have concrete and fill it in. The fun part is, I can't remember which ones. :cry: I was so exhausted after an entire day of putting up posts by myself.

sweeks
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Pack in dirt where the concrete didn't go. It should be fine.

em2ab
05-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Concrete gives a place for water to pool and rot out the wood, you're better off to just brush tar onto the end of the pole going in the ground and just fill in the hole around it with rocks and soil. It'll last longer than posts put up with concrete.

Daxin
05-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by sweeks
Pack in dirt where the concrete didn't go. It should be fine.

But wouldn't that eventually over time start to shift and make the fence lean to the side where theres no concrete?