PDA

View Full Version : Cameras at intersections?

jdmXSI
05-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Has anyone else notice the cameras(not red light or photo radar) on the top of the intersection lights going up around Calgary? I wounder what they are for:confused: Some of the ones i have seen are on all 3 sets of lights on Bowness rd. &49st nw(the connector rd between 16th ave). It kinda surprised me, started to think "is Canada getting a Big Brother". If anyone know why they are there, i am kinda curious.

dj_rice
05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
CCTV :dunno:

inline6turbo
05-16-2007, 12:19 AM
There a whole bunch it could be that you're thinking of, depends where they're located
If they're between the lights on top of the standards they can be either emergency vehicles things where if they sense emergency vehicles coming with their lights on they'll change the lights to green so it eases traffic issues when they go through the intersection. Or it could be the traffic camera dealios that City of Calgary has so you can go onto their website and see what traffic is like at certain intersections.
Or if it's a standalone pole near an intersection I have started to notice go up around town it's photo radar, there's one here on 14st North at confederation park, it's just a pole with a camera and it catches SO many people and they just get speeding tickets in the mail, tricky bastards lol. My friends got one the other day, the address from where it was taken read 14th st. North and 30ave, which doens't exist lol, it's kinda random.

jdmXSI
05-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Hmm. thanks for helping clear some of that up and the advice of the radar on 14th street!:thumbsup: The ones that i have seen are on all of the lights right in the center of the traffic lights them selfs.

kenny
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
All new intersections are getting the video camera treatment. They are used for traffic monitoring. Still images that are updated every 60 seconds are available for the public to view so you can plan your route better (but the website is quite far behind and doesn't include all the camera locations yet).

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

Redlyne_mr2
05-16-2007, 12:59 AM
In Winnipeg they have photoradar cameras in intersections, on traffic lights etc. Never even expected it until my rental car company sent me a bill for $167

Davide
05-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by kenny
All new intersections are getting the video camera treatment. They are used for traffic monitoring. Still images that are updated every 60 seconds are available for the public to view so you can plan your route better (but the website is quite far behind and doesn't include all the camera locations yet).

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly= Awesome! I've always wondered what those were for, Thanks Kenny:thumbsup:

?????
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I think it might actually be sensors to detect cars at the intersection. They don't seem to be putting sensors in the ground anymore cuz some random guy will never stop close enough to be sensed and the light never turns green.