PDA

View Full Version : Daytime Running lights

funkytuqe
05-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Hello,

I have just imported a 91 850i, i am looking for information on getting Daytime Running Lights installed on her so she can pass the OOP inspection.
Does anyone have any information on how i can get this done?
Thanks

funkedelic
05-16-2007, 10:53 PM
i think its.. the law to have your cars out of country inspection done at Canadian tire. I took my BMW there and i had a day time running light kit that should have worked on the car, but when i went to go pick it up they said that it didn't and that i had to call BMW to find out where to take it so they could do it.. BUT they passed me on the inspection anyway so i never bothered to spend a ton of money to get the day time running lights on. Esspecially since there is no BMW dealership in Lethbridge.

If you don't really care about them you might get lucky and they might pass you too and tell you to take it some where else, but if not then you might have to dish out a lot of money. Is it an American car?

97'Scort
05-16-2007, 11:56 PM
It's not a huge deal but it is very illegal. Big honkin' ticket.

Dealership might be your best bet on that one, or your local Euro shop. Feel lucky that's all that's wrong on her! 850's are notorious.

GT4rally
05-17-2007, 12:05 AM
On the E36, there's a relay under the dash on the driver's side that needs to be replaced in order to activate DRL. It can be bought from the dealer (not that expensive). I'd call Sheni's Auto Trend or the dealer and ask.

funkytuqe
05-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Ok, thanks for the info. What year is your E36?

Car is clean, runs great and good to go except for the Daytime lights.

funkedelic
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
who me? Mines a 92 but the american cars don't come with the daytime running lights, mine is imported.

I'm not sure when they started using them in the states but i think in the late 80s they started making ALL cars in Canada with them.. i think it would be hard to get a fine for that since there are tons of cars that don't have them..

FiveFreshFish
05-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Go to this forum. I'm sure someone's got the answer.

http://www.clube31.net/index.php

ercchry
05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
why not find a wire that is live when you turn the key on and then run it to the amber lights up front, im pretty sure that you can have amber drl's since there is enough trucks out there with them :dunno:

MidnightDreamer
05-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I have the Can Tire DRL module. Yours for 15$. I have a friend in the BMW club if you are seeing them soon.

funkytuqe
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Mine is imported from Japan, Alpine white, lowerd with H&R springs and the MK 18" rims.
I have tryed clube31.com, but i can't view posts without registering and when i try to register it won't let me, there is a bug of some sort with that forum. Pitty cuz clubee31 looks like it has tones of info.
I may be interested in that module Dreamer, i sent you a PM

Thanks guys!!

premiere1
05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
call Sheni's Auto Trend

funkytuqe
05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Yah i called them and they can do it. i would rather rig it up myself though!
Thanks

CalgarySupra
05-19-2007, 01:56 PM
everyone makes dtr lights so big of a deal

go to part source pick up the module for 25 dollars

attach wire to body of car, one wire to a positive lead, one wire to your lights, green wire coiled around the spark plug wire and you are set.

then after you do that take it out and use it for another import

you can also fun a positive wire when the engine is running and attach it directly to the head lights.

funkytuqe
05-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok guys i got her done.
For future reference to any new J-spec 850i owners:
The front driving lights have a second fillament available for the purpose of daytime driving lights that is not connected to anything on Jspec cars. Now you could go to the BMW dealership and drop a few hundered bucks on the asociated canadian light wire harness and hardware that makes use of the second fillament. Or you could rig it yourself for supper cheap!! There are two options, one is to purchace a $25 Daylight Running Light module from any auto parts store and just hook it up straight to the available terminal on the light housing (yes it is just sitting there unused), or you could do as explained in the post above and find a connection/wire that becomes live when the motor is running and wire that up to the light terminal.
This may only apply to the 850, as some other BMW models only require a relay that needs populating.

.civictyper.
05-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Canadian Tire 64th ave. They did my DRL's, only took about 45 mins, and theyt work great.