PDA

View Full Version : LF: p/t weekend job & QUESTION about 2jobs

djhi9hlit3
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
i'm up for anything, just need a lil extra cash for school in sept,

Question: my boss was telling me not to get a 2nd job, cause right now i'm makin $16/hr f/t, and he said if i get a lower paying job like for $10/hr, it won't even be worth it, because ill get taxed at the end of the yr, and it would seem like i made nothing? is this true?

thanks in advance

BrknFngrs
05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
ignore what your boss said, more money is more money. It may get taxed in a higher bracket if you do make enough money but even then its still more then you would have, net of taxes, had you worked only your f/t job

WWJAI
05-16-2007, 11:49 PM
:werd: Don't listen to your boss. Your a student and you'll have a tuition credit to use anyways. Out of all my post-secondary years, i've gotten all my taxes I paid back as part of my tax refund but I made less than 20g's each year. So if your gonna make less than that, you'll be fine.

Euro838
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, don't listen to your boss, go get a job at Futureshop or Best Buy and be our hookup for discounts! I'm sure we'll be willing to give you a commission on the discounts we get! I need some new LCDs/Plasmas!

TrevorK
05-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by djhi9hlit3
i'm up for anything, just need a lil extra cash for school in sept,

Question: my boss was telling me not to get a 2nd job, cause right now i'm makin $16/hr f/t, and he said if i get a lower paying job like for $10/hr, it won't even be worth it, because ill get taxed at the end of the yr, and it would seem like i made nothing? is this true?

thanks in advance

What he means is that you'll end up having to pay extra income tax at the end of the year, with the second jobs income being added on to your first job's income.

So, if you have $33,280 (16/hour, 40 hours/week) you would pay ~$5087.34 in tax. If you work 20 hours/week PT (10/hour) as well your income is $43,680 and pay ~$8106.23 in tax.

This means you will then pay almost $3000 (or 30%) of your income from your second job into income tax come tax time.

At this point you have to decide if it's worth working for around $7/hour for 20 hours/week or if your time is more valuable than that.

This is what your boss is referring to.