PDA

View Full Version : Good Asian place to get glasses

2.2vtec
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I got my last pair of glasses in edmonton from this asian place where they had good deals on designer frames. I need to get my yearly eye exam and get a new frame does anyone know of any places that have good deals on designer frames?

FiveFreshFish
05-17-2007, 08:18 PM
There's a place in Chinatown at the intersection of Centre St and 3 Ave (NW corner). Don't remember the store's name.

van
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
There's a place in Chinatown at the intersection of Centre St and 3 Ave (NW corner). Don't remember the store's name. .

That would be Visions, talk to Wendy about the glasses you want. They can order in glasses (like they did for me) if you have the model / serial number for the specs. You can probably talk a deal with her to get a lower price too, I did. ha ha ha.

TomcoPDR
05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
There's a place in Chinatown at the intersection of Centre St and 3 Ave (NW corner). Don't remember the store's name.

Visions Eyecare Centre
403-233-2020
Centre st. + 3rd Ave

sputnik
05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
What difference does it make if the place is "asian" or not?

van
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
What difference does it make if the place is "asian" or not?

Cutting deals obviously.. lol

CivicDXR
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by defekt1

Cutting deals obviously.. lol

Quoted for truth...

I got my glasses in a place inside the (I think) New Asia supermarket on the corner of Centre St and 16th Ave E... nice frames, good people in there...

pints
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
You could try Golden Optical in Dragon City Mall. They also cut deals.

dragonone
05-18-2007, 10:57 AM
DO NOT go to the place on centre in the little mall beside the brick
what a frickin' ripoff, only reason to go there would b to use ur company health allowance

al-ti2d
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
+1 for visions on centre :thumbsup:

saiyajin
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
what a frickin' ripoff, only reason to go there would b to use ur company health allowance

can you explain why they are a rip off? lookin around myself

Xtrema
05-18-2007, 03:01 PM

That's Jenny's Optical, correct? Other than that eye test is administrated by an optician, not an optometrist, that place is not bad. Especially being "flexible" with insurance.

Prices, I found most independent ran shop can bargain a bit, not just Asians'.

Every shop will have good and bad customer experiences. Like Vision, they made me a pair of glasses that one of the lens was rotated 70-80 degree and keep arguing with me that it's mounted correctly. Never returned to that place.

dragonone
05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
precisely
i asked for the same pair of frames at new asia, visions, and jenny's optical, and they costed more by 100 on the frame alone

they're REALLY flexible about insurance tho, so that'd b anyone's only incentive

plus they get pushy about leaving a deposit

2.2vtec
05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
ok so dont go to Visions?

omagedon
05-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Just order online from Googles4u or Zenni or Optical4less, I ordered my backup pair from online and it cost me 50 dollars including shipping!

2.2vtec
05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by omagedon
Just order online from Googles4u or Zenni or Optical4less, I ordered my backup pair from online and it cost me 50 dollars including shipping!

Looking for designer frames and most glasses I need to see what they look like on my face.

khtm
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know of a decent SE Asian country for getting good quality but cheap glasses?

Like Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam...?

black_2.5RS
05-20-2007, 07:37 PM
The visions is awesome. We always go to Auntie Jackie (she's not my Auntie - but we call her that!). Wicked deals and really flexible about using up company health care depending on what you get. Cut us a wicked deal on my Versace glasses too!

saiyajin
05-20-2007, 11:46 PM
^ mind telling us how much you paid?

SoSlowDx
05-21-2007, 12:10 AM
VISIONS FTW and yes we've been dealing with Jackie for so long I don't even fucking remember lol :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xcelr8
05-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Visions was a bad experience for me.
I go to Jenny's Optical, she's been giving my family deals ever since I had my first pair of glasses. Back then Jenny worked at Golden Optical, but then she went to open a place of her own. Go to Jenny's :thumbsup:

Official Hoser
05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I have purchased sunglasses (non-prescription) from Visions several times in the past. Never had any problems, and they were always significantly cheaper than comparable glasses at, say, the Sunglasses Hut.

4wslude
05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I own Quality Care Optical in Bridgeland.
I carry lots of Brand Names, and i can give you a very good deal just come in and state your from Beyond, you wont get a better deal anywhere else.
we are located in the bridgeland professional building
suite 2, 1010 1st ave ne
FREE eye tests too.

cheers

coolme
05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by omagedon

I got my pair from optical4less, I ordered the 1.67? (I think) hi-index lens because I have a high prescription, it's been about a year and it's holding up alright. Can't complain for less than $100.

4wslude
06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the business Danny I appreciate it.
I hope you enjoy the glasses.

l/l/rX
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

i just got a pair of emporio armanis from there like 2 wks ago...talked down the price $40. meh i thought that was a good deal. nice selection of frames to.

5hift
06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Do these asian places give deals to everyone, or if a brown guy walks in wanting a deal are they going to act like they dont know what I'm talking about.

Its time for some new glasses, and I've noticed some asian places downtown have way better selection of designer frames than most shoppers optical/lenscrafters type places.

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry, but this thread has gone on long enough that somebody had to do it.

There are a lot of good asian places to buy glasses here:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/asia_b.jpg

haunt
06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
anyone know how much an eye exam costs at lenscrafters?
or know of a good place?

crazydriver
06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I've always went to Jenny's Optical. I had some bad experiences with Visions back in the dark ages and my mom liked Jenny's so I've been her customer ever since.

sneek
06-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Jackie at Visions FTW

4wslude
06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
we do free sight testing at quality care optical if your just looking for your prescription.
butusually eye exams cost 80-100

haunt
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
^ free sight testing with purchase of frames/lenses you mean?

reno97637
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by 4wslude
I carry lots of Brand Names, and i can give you a very good deal just come in and state your from Beyond, you wont get a better deal anywhere else.
suite 2, 1010 1st ave ne
FREE eye tests too.

cheers

Nice, I'll be coming in. Last time I had an eye exam was in 2004.

kaishen
06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
in asia, the spectacles are rather cheap. Reason is simple, the staff are not as highly paid as in canada. Was shocked when my aunt told me that in calgary, spectacles could easily cost you $400-$500 cad.

i dont know abt the rest of the asia countries but in singapore, malaysia, they do not charge you for any eye test. Its a complimentary service and its ok if you do the eye test and not purchase anything. A pair of hi-index lens 1.6 cost abt $60cad or less.

i got my oakley specs at cad$120,which is a really good deal even within singapore.Comes with the usual oakley lifetime warranty.

recently just replaced my rimless frame in malaysia at even cheaper price of 25cad.

one of the bigger chain stores in sg

http://www.spectaclehut.com/index.htm

4wslude
06-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by haunt
^ free sight testing with purchase of frames/lenses you mean?
if you dont buy anything its still free, just tell us your from beyond

DarkDream
06-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Wendy at Visions DT FTW!!!!:thumbsup:

Xaroxantu Zero
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
suite 2, 1010 1st ave ne
FREE eye tests too.

cheers

Expect me to be around today. :D

4wslude
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

Expect me to be around today. :D .

Thanks for stopping in, I believe Martin told me he dealt with you.
i hope you like your product, and our service

Si_FlyGuy
07-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Martin's awesome!! I stopped by with my gf a few weeks ago. ;)

I didn't ask for the beyond deal because he was already marking it down, and seemed like a nice guy. Therefore I expect double discounts next time. :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
07-17-2007, 06:15 AM

Xaro said you guys were great, so I'll be in this afternoon for an eye exam and some frames. :)

4wslude
07-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Martin's awesome!! I stopped by with my gf a few weeks ago. ;)

I didn't ask for the beyond deal because he was already marking it down, and seemed like a nice guy. Therefore I expect double discounts next time. :rofl:

Tru dat, i will have to hook you up next time since you didnt get the beyond deal, im sure martin still took care of you.

im glad you guys are satisfied with quality care optical, and i appreciate the business.

dragonone
07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
so i went to visions to get my prescription numbers from my previous eye test so i can order my contacts online, than i get a big lecture about why beer costs a dollar at the liquor store, and it costs 5 bux at a bar

i didn't ask him to give me my contacts cheaper, and i paid for my eye test so I think it perfectly entitles me to get those numbers. this was from both one of the receptionists (older lady) and the optermetrist. they also gave my friend attitude by ignoring him for the entire duration of my visit there, my friend wanted to get glasses so i guess they lost that business as well

guess i won't b going back to visions again

4wslude
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
so i went to visions to get my prescription numbers from my previous eye test so i can order my contacts online, than i get a big lecture about why beer costs a dollar at the liquor store, and it costs 5 bux at a bar

i didn't ask him to give me my contacts cheaper, and i paid for my eye test so I think it perfectly entitles me to get those numbers. this was from both one of the receptionists (older lady) and the optermetrist. they also gave my friend attitude by ignoring him for the entire duration of my visit there, my friend wanted to get glasses so i guess they lost that business as well

guess i won't b going back to visions again

they have to give you your prescription, its your property and are entitled to it.

you can tell them to fax it to my clinic as they will have to then i can give u your numbers.

our fax @quality care optical is 269-9574

BerserkerCatSplat
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's another positive feedback for Quality Care Optical, I went down today to get an eye test and order new glasses, Martin was excellent, professional, and an all-around great guy to deal with. The Beyond discount is just awesome, and I will be recommending them to my friends, Beyond members or not. :thumbsup:

saiyajin
07-17-2007, 09:52 PM

they have to give you your prescription, its your property and are entitled to it.

you can tell them to fax it to my clinic as they will have to then i can give u your numbers.

our fax @quality care optical is 269-9574

how much is it to get an eye test? and is the test for contacts and glasses or just glasses?

Xaroxantu Zero
07-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Yeah man, he gave me a great deal on a pair of Ray-Ban Sunglasses. Will definitely go back there if I need anything else. :thumbsup:

4wslude
07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

how much is it to get an eye test? and is the test for contacts and glasses or just glasses?

its for both contacts and glasses, and best part is its FREE
thanks

saiyajin
07-18-2007, 07:16 PM

its for both contacts and glasses, and best part is its FREE
thanks

if i decide not to purchase any glasses or contacts from you is the test still free? thanks

BerserkerCatSplat
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Quick update - they're fast, too! Ordered a set of frames/lenses last night, and they were ready for pickup today! :eek:

AhabTheArab
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Heck I'm wondering why you'd even want to get glasses from a race that can barely open their eyes. jj.

4wslude
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

if i decide not to purchase any glasses or contacts from you is the test still free? thanks

yea if you dont need them we aint gonna force you too buy, its all good

thinmyster
07-20-2007, 10:09 AM
i might swing by today then. im getting my first pair of glasses. eeek!

4wslude
07-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
i might swing by today then. im getting my first pair of glasses. eeek!

we will be gentle

thinmyster
07-21-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks guys! highly recommended

bighead2267
07-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Martin told me he have been in this industry for a long time. experience person to deal with.

i don't trust Vision at all, the eye test is always off same as the one at New Aisa at 16 Ave. the prescription is off.

i will keep u guys update after i got my glasses from Quality.

dragonone
07-22-2007, 01:23 PM
well from what i gather, these asian places are the best places to get your glasses using ur company's insurance, esp. sunglasses