PDA

View Full Version : Need info on insurance industry

downtime
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Anyone here an insurance adjuster for auto or home insurance?Wanted to know what educational background is required and what kind of courses are required?I mean working for a large insurance company in the adjuster division.Do you take a general insurance exam and from their with job trainning you go into that field?

variance
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
they generally perfer a university degree, but for an entry level position, i have seen high school diploma plus a few years of customer service experience get in. once you are in the industry you are expected to complete the CIP program. about 10 classes that they will pay for.

the degree is not required, but will definately set you apart at the time of hiring and for any future promotions.

i work with all kinds of people. from high school graduates who have been doing it for years and years. to fresh grads from Univ. with a B.Comm and a concentration in Risk Management and Insurance,

auto adjusting is the entry point where you will likely start, from here you can move to accident benefits or bodily injury adjusting where you deal with lawyers..etc

do a google search for "CIP Chartered Insurance Professsional" for more details on the courses.

403Gemini
05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
CIP is fucking boring :banghead:

Just giving you a heads up... haha

guessboi
05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I think all designations are boring. CA, CMA, CIP, CFA... :D
but once you got it, you are a step above other people who don't have it. If you are in insurance, to be better than others, you will have to do your CIP, FCIP and CRM. I think that will take 3 years if you are fast.

variance
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
are both you guys in insurance right now? auto adjuster?

Speed_69
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
i'm in the insurance industry right now and yea the CIP courses are rediculously boring but the CIP exams are kinda tough. I went through the MRC Business administration and insurance program for 2 yrs and i highly recommend it. Gives you 7 CIP courses and you get 2 work experience terms. If you work as an indepedent adjuster, you need to write an exam to get your license but if you're working for an insurance company, you most likely don't need anything. Just a high school diploma but your chances of getting in are slimmer.

downtime
05-17-2007, 07:01 PM
For all the help and leads i will do some more research.

guessboi
05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
I am in commerical property underwriting, IMO CIP is a joke, I will be finished the 10 courses in 2 years with 1 more to do in July. If you have a BComm, you can pursue further to FCIP and CRM and that will take only 4 university courses and I plan to finish them by the end fo 2008. :thumbsup: