PDA

View Full Version : I suck at soldering therefore I lose at life

thinmyster
05-16-2007, 10:39 PM
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2758/p1010042qe5.jpg

comments/suggestions? its for an in tank fuel pump so id rather not kill myself

kevie88
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Get a new soldering iron, one that has a ton of wattage.. around 100watts is great. You need a TON of local heat, and a low wattage iron will just heat up the whole wire and melt the insulation off. A new tip will rejuvenate an old high wattage iron too.

Looks like you didn't have enough heat on the joint.

GTS Jeff
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
LOL you should just use heat shrinkable butt connectors.

TomcoPDR
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
:eek:

Heat up the wire first with the soldering tip, and THEN put your solder into the mix... and use some flaux paste. (dip the tip in it)... And if possible (seeing the positive/red wire), remove the clip/plug when you solder (i.e. less heat transfer into components)

I used to know a really good stereo installer, nice guy, knows his stuff well (learned a lot from him)... BUT.... he ran away somewhere.

kevie88
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
LOL you should just use heat shrinkable butt connectors.

Not in this application. Butt connecters get loose over time and could cause a spark. Imagine a spark in a gas tank.. not good.

thinmyster
05-16-2007, 11:42 PM
yeah i know they suck.. is it easy to "undo" what ive done??

The kit originally comes with butt connectors...

thinmyster
05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Looks like you didn't have enough heat on the joint.

I think you're right. where can i go to fix this??

hussein
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
yeah i know they suck.. is it easy to "undo" what ive done??

The kit originally comes with butt connectors...

Get a big copper braid or maybe a solder suction pump (never used one before)? Heat it up and suck it off.

chanman
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
there is copper mesh they make i
think that sucks up solder
i'm not sure if it works on wires
but used it on motherboards to
remove old resistors and stuff

97'Scort
05-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Just clip off what you've already done, as close to the end as possible. Strip off a 1/2" or so. It takes a little practice. A few things to remember:

1) Slide a piece of heat-shrink over the wire (Canadian Tire, automotive with all the electical stuff).
2) Twist the two wires together so that they form a straight line, not an apex.
3) Use flux on the wire, but just a little bit. Touch the hot iron to the flux on the wire (cleans both the iron and the wire). Try not to breathe in the fumes ;)
4) If you have a good (or even average) iron, you should be able to load the tip with solder. Touch just a LITTLE bit of solder to the end of the iron (I'm willing to bet you have more than enough already on there!), then gently "paint" the solder on to the wires. If you need a bit more (which you shouldn't) paint on a little more, but remember you're also melting the stuff you put on earlier.
5) Once the solder cools for a minute, push the heat shrink over the solder and use a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer (on high) to shrink it.

That should do it! You don't really want the solder to bear the stresses in the line, and the heat shrink will protect it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-16-2007, 11:51 PM
It's called "wick" it sucks it right up... flux the join, and the wick, and just apply the heated soldering iron to the joint with the wick between... the wick looks like show laces... it'll suck it right up

rc2002
05-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Twist the wires together, then heat them up with the soldering iron. Then remove the soldering iron and then touch the solder to the hot wires. You really don't need much solder to get a good solid joint.

I'd recommend cutting out the mangled piece you have in the middle and solder in a new piece or wire.

dj_rice
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM

Not in this application. Butt connecters get loose over time and could cause a spark. Imagine a spark in a gas tank.. not good.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Butt connectors?I went even more ghetto when I did my Walbro fuel pump install on my 240sx, I used regular masking tape, once it dipped into the fuel, it started losing its adhesiveness

GTS Jeff
05-17-2007, 12:10 AM

I don't know about that. Butt connectors, when used correctly, are alright. As the guy mentioned, his kit even came with them. They're also used in many Toyota OEM applications, and Toyota has a reputation as the world's most reliable auto maker.

katana9x4
05-17-2007, 01:45 AM
I've heard soldering is the only "sure" way.

Instead of dripping it onto the wire, trying heating the wire from beneath and melting the solder through.

Annoyingrob
05-17-2007, 04:28 AM
I'll solder it for you.

ca18det240sx
05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Butt connectors do come with the walbro kit.....ive always used them...never had a problem. I would use the butt connectors.....

thinmyster
05-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Problem is you need the "actual" crimper tool not orange handled one everyone has. I think this where the "problem" with crimping occurs.

Its really annoying because in the mr2 toyota used a rivits which i didnt want to drill out and re-rivit

legendboy
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
haha that pic is funny

A lot of times when I solder wires together is simply butt them.

-cut and re strip about 3/8" insulation

-twist wires up tight and neatly

-heat each side individually and and add solder liberally. You should only need to touch your solder to one part of the wire and it will flow all around and thru it. If it doesn't do this then your wire isn't hot enough

-so now both sides have a coating of solder, hold them end to end with one hand, and simplify brush your iron across both wires, and this should fuse them solidly together

-as mentioned above, make sure you put some shrink tubing on one side of the wires before you solder the joint

-use the proper sized solder, i think the stuff i use is 1/16"

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I used to know a really good stereo installer, nice guy, knows his stuff well (learned a lot from him)... BUT.... he ran away somewhere.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Annoyingrob
05-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I sent you a PM with my phone number. Like I said, give me a call, I'm free all tuesday, wednesday afternoon, possibly monday too.

It'll take about 10 minutes to fix :)