PDA

View Full Version : Horror story involving a local shop (long story)

Pages : [1] 2

cocoabrova
05-17-2007, 01:32 AM
*If you guys remember, I had mentioned in that Kal Tire thread that I will be posting my horror stories regarding my dealings with local shops for the last 15yrs. Well here's the most recent one.....

So the BMW 325is that I sold to my cousin needed a rebuilt head due to someone's half-ass helicoiling skills. Eventually the #5 spark plug turned itself out of the plug hole with the helicoil attached to it, and finally went straight up through the coil and stripped what little thread was there for the helicoil to use. My cousin never blamed me, but I still wanted to make sure that he got the best service possible he could, so I referred him to a shop that I had used before for this very same car. Although the previous work was minor, I had been happy with the service, which as you know can make up for a shop's shortcomings in other areas. Even though my cousin had an uncle that owned a shop and was capable of doing the repairs, I had vouched for this shop, so he heeded my advice and dropped the BMW off at this shop. He actually decided to go with a complete used engine swap because the labor was almost the same but he'd get a lower mileage engine PLUS a new clutch/flywheel was needed on the advice of the shop's owner, who incidentally we had been dealing with from day one.

I wanted to be up-to-date with everything that went on with this repair because 1) it was my cousin's car 2) I felt bad that this had happened only a short while after he had bought it 3) this shop was very close to my work so it was easy for me to go and check up on the progress. Duing one of my visits, the used engine assembly had arrived and I asked the shop owner how was the general condition of the engine, which in turn he had said good with only 140K. I had also stated that if ANY seals/gaskets needed to be replaced to do so, because with my knowledge of the industry, no company warrantees seals/gaskets, and that money wasn't an issue here. When the job was done, the owner said only the valve cover gasket was leaking and that was the only gasket replaced. So after the engine R & R job AND clutch R & R job were done, my cousing paid the shop the almost $6 grand bill and left.

About a month later, my cousin notices a coolant leak. He takes it back to the shop that installed the engine, and they diagnose that the headgasket is leaking. Eventually, the shop's owner and my cousin come to an agreement to swap in another used motor and split the labor (shop said they won't cover all of it) but the bonus was that the motor would be warranteed by the vendor. So they setup a dropoff date and all is supposedly well. When my cousin calls the shop to confirm the day before, the shop gives excuses as to why they cant do it that week, and to call back next week. Same thing the next week, and the next week and the next week etc. At one point the original shop was going farm out the job to another shop, but THAT shop was very behind on work, as was the original shop so they said.

It's now 4 fucking months later and my cousin has been having to add ~1L of coolant everyday, because it leaves a fucking puddle of it everytime he turns the car off. Now I'm usually a bad-tempered guy right off the bat, but I just kept telling my cuz/myself that this shop and owner would do him right, and stand by their WORK, but most importantly, their WORD. That wasn't the case at all so I finally had to have a word with the owner. I went down there today and told the owner that my cuz is sick of getting jerked around and given the runaround, and that the car HAS to be fixed. I reminded him that I SPECIFICALLY said to make sure to replace ANY seals and/or gaskets that need replacing (I'm pretty sure headgasket fits in that category duh) because everyone knows it's ALOT easier to replace these while the engine's on a stand. The owner took full responsibility for not replacing the headgasket and then gave more excuses as to why he hasn't booked the car in yet. After our 'heated' discussion, we came to an agreement and the owner told me that we can drop off the car Monday morning and it will be done in a week. I even said thanks to the owner (even after everything) and I left. My cuz and I felt good that this issue was finally getting resolved, especially after 4 months of being bent over about it....

About a half-hour after I left, the shop owner calls my cuz and tells him he doesn't appreciate ppl. coming to his shop and bitching at him blah blah blah. Now remember kids, this is AFTER he ALREADY setup the appointment to get the car done next week...My cuz is ALOT calmer guy than I am but he also was tired of being fucked with by this so-called mechanic/mechanic's shop and so the shop owner and him both got into over the phone, and eventually the owner told him he WILL NOT work on my cuz's car ever again, and to take it somewhere else to get fixed because he's 'done' with it, and to NEVER bring it back to his shop then hangs up on my cousin!!
**EDIT forgot to add this**
My cousin called back, but an employee picked up this time and told him the owner was busy, Then my cuz told the employee that he'd be leaving work right away and going down to the shop to discuss the matter further with the owner. When my cuz gets there, he finds the front door LOCKED, and all the lights turned off. Why would they hide if they didn't feel responsible for this sad sad scenario??

For those of you that actually read that whole thing (including the owner of this shop because he IS a member of beyond.ca, and some of you know him very well) I have withheld the name of the shop and the owner's name to give him/them ONE MORE CHANCE:rolleyes: to do right by my cuz, and to do the job next week as the owner had promised. I had told the owner that we were going to get this taken care of regardless, and it was up to him what avenue we should be taking, but yes surprisingly he offered to do the job next week and be done in a week.

To the owner of the shop: All we want is for you to do what you promised and to do the engine R & R job next week. You know who you are, and who my cuz and I am, and what our phone numbers are. If I or my cousin don't hear from you by Friday May 18, 2007 @ 1200pm, then we WILL exercise EVERY legal action to the extent of the law while pursuing this matter further via lawyers and a lawsuit. Trust me, there will not be ANY shortage of money involved in this matter, so be prepared to be fighting this out with us for a long time to come. I will also be talking to all the media, especially The Calgary Sun, and btw remember that story that you guys were in with that other customer of yours? AMVIC, CMDA, BBB, and EVERY other auto repair-shop related group in Canada will be notified of this scenario. I will also be replacing yours and your shop's anonymity throughout this post with yours and your shop's NAME. Last but definitely not least, other potential customers will be notified of the facts of this sad matter via word-of-mouth, the worst negative advertising for a small shop to encounter, which has brought many-a-entrepeneur down. :thumbsup:

katana9x4
05-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Sounds like a difficult situation to be in.

I'd imagine this would catch their attention anyways... heres hoping both sides work things out with each other.

And if not, well, it's always nice giving fellow beyond members a heads up :thumbsup:

inline6turbo
05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm saddened to hear shit like this.
Hopefully it can be resolved amicably soon.
Horrible to hear stories of shops that just simply, dropped the ball, and refused to take responsibility and resolve the issue...

:thumbsdow

TomcoPDR
05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Sorry to hear that dude, that's not cool (based on your version of the story).

Yea Beyond's known to bring down some shops eh... I'm actually quite scared myself :guns: Beyond makes me feel like I'm on a neverending episode of Suvivor-automotive edition.

cocoabrova
05-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by katana9x4
Sounds like a difficult situation to be in.

I'd imagine this would catch their attention anyways... heres hoping both sides work things out with each other.

And if not, well, it's always nice giving fellow beyond members a heads up :thumbsup:
It is a difficult situation, but what really chaps my ass is how he went against his previous words to my cousin over the phone....and yes it's good for us auto-enthusiasts to have beyond.ca as a medium to warn fellow members of the potential horrors associated with dealing with certain shops...

Originally posted by inline6turbo
I'm saddened to hear shit like this.
Hopefully it can be resolved amicably soon.
Horrible to hear stories of shops that just simply, dropped the ball, and refused to take responsibility and resolve the issue...

:thumbsdow
Thanks I hope so too. But like I mentioned, it doesn't matter how much $$ it takes or how long it takes, because in the end it's the principle of it all........

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Sorry to hear that dude, that's not cool (based on your version of the story).

Yea Beyond's known to bring down some shops eh... I'm actually quite scared myself :guns: Beyond makes me feel like I'm on a neverending episode of Suvivor-automotive edition.

Thanks...Well for someone who's dealt with and continue to deal with, many shops here in town over the last 15 yrs, while also being IN the repair industry myself for 5 of those 15 yrs, it IS sad to see this happening. As for my side of the story, the owner's son, the previous owner of the car (before me) who incidentally had taken the car to them before, and the 'BMW' mechanic of the shop all have knowledge of this situation, and I guarrantee that everything I've posted is FACTUAL. But like I said, I'm giving them one more chance to fix this before I name names.....

stevo 27
05-17-2007, 02:17 AM
good luck hope every thing works out for the best:(

Team_Mclaren
05-17-2007, 03:00 AM
oh shitty. thats very nice of you for giving them one more chance to make it right. Many wouldve snapped already, including myself..

btw: thats why theres a puddle under the car today at the meet.. didnt think it was the car at all.

cocoabrova
05-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27
good luck hope every thing works out for the best:(

thanks, we do too....

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
oh shitty. thats very nice of you for giving them one more chance to make it right. Many wouldve snapped already, including myself..

btw: thats why theres a puddle under the car today at the meet.. didnt think it was the car at all.
Yeah I guess it was dumb to assume they would stand by their own words:dunno: but yes vince the car leaves that amt. of coolant EVERY time he turns off the engine. He's probably spent over $300 just on coolant for the last 4 mths. which he won't get back until we sue....

v2kai
05-17-2007, 03:38 AM
4 months is plenty of time, hope this all works out

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Can you tell us the shop name please?

JRSC00LUDE
05-17-2007, 08:05 AM
*Post edited after hearing the rebuttal!*

Chalking it up to a one-off big disagreement that we've all had sometime somewhere with someone before.

Euro_Trash
05-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

:werd:

KenP
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Ya what be the name?

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow, that really sucks, I hope everything turns out for the best, and i'm really curious about the name of the shop, the owner, and who they are on beyond!

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I think to keep it fair to yourself and the shop it is good you keep the name withheld...gives both of you the chance to work it out.

I hope it works out for both of you...

DNSDJS
05-17-2007, 08:30 AM
damn sorry to hear about the car man.
the shop did do wrong
they need to get on top of this.

i think that its kinda weird why they would lock the doors and turn of the lights.
unless they knew they were in the wrong
which then they are hiding
and could be causing other customers
delay in work
which could end up in even more cust's tryin to sue..

who ever the shop owners are
pick up the ball on this one guys
it could get real nasty.

DC2
05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I think to keep it fair to yourself and the shop it is good you keep the name withheld...gives both of you the chance to work it out.

I hope it works out for both of you...

I would have to agree, as curious as I am to know who the shop is. At least hold off telling us til the car is fixed:devil:

CLiVE
05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience with this shop.
I had a similar issue with one shop in the city, but in my case it was electrical problems. (long story). I also ended up threatening legal action, but eventually the issue was resolved. All the best.

johnnybad1
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
File a writ in small debts court and try to win in court. I went through the same shit a few years ago and won my money back in court. I collected good evidence and used the laywer only to attend the court date using my case and evidence.

Seems like shop owners who operate like that do not give a shit about anything except the almighty buck and if he hasn't done you right by now he will not move as a result of this thread.

Post the name of the shop otherwise this thread is useless. I want to make sure I never take my BMW to this asshole.

What the fuck he installs a motor with a bad head gasket....that is bullshit I'd sue the bastard.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree with the above ^^^^

Regardless of whether he makes good or not, he still did what he did, and would probably do it again. Nobody should have to deal with that ever again in the future. I want to know so that myself and anyone I know avoids this shop.

Post the name, but maybe after it's resolved so that you don't get any additional headaches in your already painful process of trying to resolve this.

JRSC00LUDE
05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I agree with giving him a chance to man up and post here. If he's a beyond member that a lot of you know then he'll hear about this thread sooner than later. If he hasn't posted by the end of the week then it's safe to assume his silence presumes his guilt and then it's fair game to make sure nobody goes there again.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I agree with giving him a chance to man up and post here. If he's a beyond member that a lot of you know then he'll hear about this thread sooner than later. If he hasn't posted by the end of the week then it's safe to assume his silence presumes his guilt and then it's fair game to make sure nobody goes there again.

:werd: That sounds very reasonable. Either own up publically, or face the consequences.

adidas
05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
I hope that you take him to court and get all your money back and then some. But what i dont understand is that you state "money is not an issue" so why didnt you get a engine with less km that way it wouldnt have problems?!

By any chance is this shop located between Centre street and Edmonton Trail NE?

Alpine Autowerks
05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
There's two sides to every story...

What cocoabrova doesn't seem to understand is that he's not the only paying customer on the face of the planet. We've been booking customers and appointments for months in advance and we have many cars that have been here for more than 4 months and we try to fix them starting with the non-runners first. Your cousin's car was running, unlike the people who were in front of you in the lineup.

As for the headgasket blowing, again it seems like you don't understand how things work; there were no signs that it was about to fail when I checked it. That's not a guarantee that it won't blow, as shit happens.

His car was next in line after a porsche that needed a rebuild (again, who had booked in before your cousin). Your cousin may be new to the whole car scene or however you want to put it and like I told you, I understand his frustration at having to wait so long, which is why I told him to try Sheni's in order to get it fixed faster. It was nothing personal until you came into my shop, yelled at me and accused me of screwing you around, when quite simply we are too busy for a 2-person operation. Also, about me locking the doors and turning off the lights... people do that when they go home, I was there until 6:30.

Originally posted by adidas
But what i dont understand is that you state "money is not an issue" so why didnt you get a engine with less km that way it wouldnt have problems?!

Didn't you know? It's never the customer's fault for taking the cheapest way out.

SilverGS
05-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I guess your question has been answered

bigbadboss101
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I have used both Sheni and Alpine for work on my POS BMW that I purchased. Both shops were quite helpful.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

I guess your question has been answered

Indeed it has. In good time as well.

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, posts like this shouldnt discourage anyone from dealing with Alpine.. Marc is great, and as he said if a shop is busy, they are busy.

SinisterProbeGt
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I took my Build to alpine and although they did turn me down. they did help me find a replacement shop to do the work.

yellowsnow
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Seems like the shop has a good reputation.. I especially respect how the owner didn't try to hide the name of his shop, and told us his side of the story.

hope it all works out for the op though... sounds like alot of money has been spent on this car.

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
wow, an interesting spin on the story. I hope you both can work out some sort of aggrement. I guess there is a lesson to be learned from both sides...

cocoabrova
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
This is Cocoabrova’s cousin, the owner of the vehicle. I am using Cocoabrova’s account to post this message as I am not a registered member of Beyond.ca

Well it seems that we have differing points of view on this matter as I am not a new customer but instead a customer that requires repair on sub-standard work that was already performed. Therefore, all these people that you say are “in front” of me are actually not really that after all, as we have discussed on numerous occasions.

As for all the other comments you have posted, I’m very tired of hearing excuses time after time and will not even bother replying to them. I have been a very patient man over the past four months and now the time for discussion and coming to some kind of amicable agreement is over, therefore we will let the authorities (Alberta Justice, BBB and AMVIC) decide what to do with this matter. If you think this problem is just going to go away, I can guarantee you that you are sadly mistaken.

On another note, I would just caution others against using this shop. It seems from the posts I have read that people have their own view on Alpine Autowerks and Marc but in the end people will have to find out on their own, just as I have.

A790
05-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I love the threats. Oh, I assure you, blah blah blah.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you bud, so just deal with it. No point in trying to look like a baller.

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
No doubt.
Sorry to sound like an ass, but shit happens. If you are using used parts (key word is 'used') with 140k then you would have to expect that it wont last forever. It is just like when I bought my car - not even 500km later and I had to replace the clutch. There was nothing I could do - the dealership is not liable. That sort of stuff will never have warranty on it because it is wear and tear. As I said earlier, I hope both sides can come up with a compromise. Although, keeping up with these posts makes me think otherwise...

1-Bar
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by A790

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you bud, so just deal with it. No point in trying to look like a baller.

Haha, your reply speaks for itself. Looks like you've been bent over backwards time and time again (and seem to enjoy it). If you read and can comprehend this thread, they are dealing with it, they are pursing legal action. Thanks for coming out though
:thumbsup:

Originally posted by ken-gsr
No doubt.
Sorry to sound like an ass, but shit happens. If you are using used parts (key word is 'used') with 140k then you would have to expect that it wont last forever. It is just like when I bought my car - not even 500km later and I had to replace the clutch. There was nothing I could do - the dealership is not liable. That sort of stuff will never have warranty on it because it is wear and tear. As I said earlier, I hope both sides can come up with a compromise. Although, keeping up with these posts makes me think otherwise...

Yes shit happens, but they agreed on splitting the costs to get the head gasket replaced. If you purchased your car and noticed the clutch was going, then you said to the seller "well the clutch needs replacing, but I'll buy it if...." You agree and then the seller doesn't go through with the agreement, then what?!? Shit happens :dunno: :nut:

Kaos
05-17-2007, 03:15 PM

How is he trying to sound baller?:rolleyes:

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Basically yes, unless you get it written in writing. Plus it was from a dealership, and there were no signs of the clutch going when I bought it. it was just an unfortunate circumstance.

I know this is a little different, but once again the engine had 140k on it!

All I was trying to say is that I think both parties are at fault here, and I think that they both pissed each other off so much that the result will be much worse then it needed to be.

MrSector9
05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
why would you obther swapping 1 used engine for another used engine? wouldnt it just be better to meet somehow on the cost of replacing the headgasket?

maybe the other engine will do the same thing (or have som other problem)

Toms-SC
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Bad move on swapping in a used motor @ 140K. There is no way for a shop to tell if the HG's are going to go when the engine is sitting on a stand. Although the shop should have had the sense to mention that maybe 'it would be a good idea to change the HG's'.

ercchry
05-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Basically yes, unless you get it written in writing. Plus it was from a dealership, and there were no signs of the clutch going when I bought it. it was just an unfortunate circumstance.

I know this is a little different, but once again the engine had 140k on it!

my god

if there was no signs of the clutch going then YOU can not drive worth shit...

140k is nothing my car has over 240k and still going strong it is all about maintaining the car :nut:

IntegraG2
05-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

my god

140k is nothing my car has over 240k and still going strong it is all about maintaining the car :nut:

werd.

I hope you get this settled Al. I couldnt image dealing with something like this. Everyone is saying shit happens this and that. But the shop not going by your word is wrong after an agreement has been made. Again its the principle of it.

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM

my god

seriously - I could not tell, the mechanic that did the inspection could not tell, many other people that test drove the car could not tell. Why you ask? because it wasn't broken yet. There is a point before the clutch is gone when it still works - like umm its whole life span. Fuck you are dumb.

shadowz
05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Hopfully this gets resolved, I know how this feels, I was completly bent over by one machine shop previously things never got resolved, I waited one year for assistance through the owner/operator of the shop. I just didnt want to deal with it anymore. But some people arent that fortunate and need these things taken care of the first time.

tictactoe2004
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Kaos

How is he trying to sound baller?:rolleyes:

I'm assuming he's talking about his signature.

BlackFyre
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM

seriously - I could not tell, the mechanic that did the inspection could not tell, many other people that test drove the car could not tell. Why you ask? because it wasn't broken yet. There is a point before the clutch is gone when it still works - like umm its whole life span. Fuck you are dumb.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of this, but how does a clutch break? Do you mean it wore out? or Shattered into a bazillion pieces?

ercchry
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM

im dumb!? holy shit do you know how many clutches i have had replaced? do you? no? fuck!! if it was only 500km then its because YOU cant drive if you could drive the clutch would not be gone within a tank of fucking gas you dumb shit, either you dropped the clutch every time you launched or you rode it none stop

so in the future take a driving leason and keep your trap shut

peace out

ps :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

finboy
05-17-2007, 04:30 PM

im dumb!? holy shit do you know how many clutches i have had replaced? do you? no? fuck!! if it was only 500km then its because YOU cant drive if you could drive the clutch would not be gone within a tank of fucking gas you dumb shit, either you dropped the clutch every time you launched or you rode it none stop

so in the future take a driving leason and keep your trap shut

peace out

ps :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

clutches can break, ask boost infested about the clutch on his daytona ;)

01RedDX
05-17-2007, 04:33 PM

ercchry
05-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by finboy

clutches can break, ask boost infested about the clutch on his daytona ;)

yeah for sure but im pretty sure that it just his just wore out since he was saying something about wear and tear

ken-gsr
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
woooo now - lets bring the hate down a couple of notches. Ok maybe I exaggerated a little bit when I said 500k, it wore out really fast after I bought it (a couple of months). I have gone through a couple of clutches myself - I have been driving 7 years so I am pretty sure I have it figured out. Anyways point is they never replaced it.

Now back to the topic...

ps the dumb shit thing hurt my feelings.

ercchry
05-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

How many? Because usually, when a clutch starts to slip, it's only about 500km until it fails completely.

well since i have bought my current car i have put on about 1500km and since day one it was slipping and over half of that driving was really hard driving (ie. drift day yesterday) i would have to say you sir are full of shit, really you will be amazed how long you can drive a car when the clutch has started to go

ercchry
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM

yeah sorry but the only reason i said it was because well you started it, and yes i know that that sounds childish

finboy
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM

yeah for sure but im pretty sure that it just his just wore out since he was saying something about wear and tear

could be, sometimes while buying used, parts can wear out, and it comes with the territory.

in this case however, as far as i have heard, al asked for any gaskets to get replaced, and a gasket blew, and a deal was struck to fix it. as far as i know this is al's cousin's daily driver, so waiting 4 months to fix a blown headgasket is a little extreme. I can understand if a shop is busy, they can't do it, but this situation might have been resolved easier if the fix was done at another shop and both the original shop and al's cousin split the labour. then again, i don't own a shop, and i'm not involved in the situation so my opinion doesn't really count for sweet fuck all :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
woooo now - lets bring the hate down a couple of notches. Ok maybe I exaggerated a little bit when I said 500k, it wore out really fast after I bought it (a couple of months). I have gone through a couple of clutches myself - I have been driving 7 years so I am pretty sure I have it figured out. Anyways point is they never replaced it.

Now back to the topic...

I put about 500km's in about a week... 500km's is not a couple of months unless your car is a total garage queen

TomcoPDR
05-17-2007, 06:51 PM

in this case however, as far as i have heard, al asked for any gaskets to get replaced, and a gasket blew, and a deal was struck to fix it.

NOT taking sides (just pure commenting), after all, all I do is push on metal; I didn't even finish my 3rd year apprenticeship :rofl:

It's kind of hard for any shop to repair a USED part based on a blanket statement such as: "replace anything that needs replacing" (yes, I know, AL only said gaskets)... Yes, I know I'm not a licensed tech, but from what little I know about engines (or whatever little materials that I've learned when I was paying attention in class), there are so many things that can happen with an engine... There are so many "gaskets" on an engine that could cuz failure (pending if it's big or small)...

What if the damage happened to blown piston rings ("cheap" for parts, but expensive for labour), what if the damage was a warped camshaft or just a pulley? If the engine was out, easy and relatively cheap parts to replace, etc... Or in THIS specific case of just "gaskets" what if the used engine had worn injector "gastets", or just fuel line "gasket" (tripping engine light).

Not trying to get on Coco (Al)'s bad side, but I mean I think it's hard for a shop to keep on "replacing" parts that's "needed" (cuz they just buy the engine from recyclers anyway, they didn't build it from scratch)... So to what extend can a mechanic (even a "good one" per sa) REPLACE stuff that might go wrong... in that case; a crate engine from the factory would be the safest bet. Like I said I'm not a licensed tech, but to me, ALL PARTS TO AN ENGINE are important, if I ever do a used engine swap, of course I want "all new parts" too, but at what cost, and to what degree would I know if the water pump (let's say) would fail after 300km or just a simple sepetine belt... Sure, after the install with a quick failure, I could say "oh that's obvious the water pump is going to go, should had just paid the $80 when the engine was on a stand and replaced the water pump, etc..."

With that said, on the other hand, if I was the customer (or the owner) of a vehicle receiving an engine swap... I'd be SAD and mad too that the donor engine failed; so quickly and shortly. :( Even if me and a mechanic buddy did the work, I'd still be choked at the situation to just "suck it up, stuff happens"... And the fact of the matter is, the MECHANICAL aspect of the engine swap was done too (either doing yourself, or paying a shop) so it's not like the shop (or yourself) cheated on labour/work. And that's not trying to get on the bad side of the shop involved either...

So I guess good luck to both parties, hope you guys can come to a fair agreement on labour/cost, etc... As with all my posts, there're usually pointlesss, but just offering my opinion stating the obivous. That's probably why I'll be stuck being a lonely dent guy than having my dream job; being a Calvin Klein underwear model. :bigpimp:

katana9x4
05-17-2007, 08:46 PM

NOT taking sides (just pure commenting), after all, all I do is push on metal; I didn't even finish my 3rd year apprenticeship :rofl:

It's kind of hard for any shop to repair a USED part based on a blanket statement such as: "replace anything that needs replacing" (yes, I know, AL only said gaskets)... Yes, I know I'm not a licensed tech, but from what little I know about engines (or whatever little materials that I've learned when I was paying attention in class), there are so many things that can happen with an engine... There are so many "gaskets" on an engine that could cuz failure (pending if it's big or small)...

What if the damage happened to blown piston rings ("cheap" for parts, but expensive for labour), what if the damage was a warped camshaft or just a pulley? If the engine was out, easy and relatively cheap parts to replace, etc... Or in THIS specific case of just "gaskets" what if the used engine had worn injector "gastets", or just fuel line "gasket" (tripping engine light).

Not trying to get on Coco (Al)'s bad side, but I mean I think it's hard for a shop to keep on "replacing" parts that's "needed" (cuz they just buy the engine from recyclers anyway, they didn't build it from scratch)... So to what extend can a mechanic (even a "good one" per sa) REPLACE stuff that might go wrong... in that case; a crate engine from the factory would be the safest bet. Like I said I'm not a licensed tech, but to me, ALL PARTS TO AN ENGINE are important, if I ever do a used engine swap, of course I want "all new parts" too, but at what cost, and to what degree would I know if the water pump (let's say) would fail after 300km or just a simple sepetine belt... Sure, after the install with a quick failure, I could say "oh that's obvious the water pump is going to go, should had just paid the $80 when the engine was on a stand and replaced the water pump, etc..."

With that said, on the other hand, if I was the customer (or the owner) of a vehicle receiving an engine swap... I'd be SAD and mad too that the donor engine failed; so quickly and shortly. :( Even if me and a mechanic buddy did the work, I'd still be choked at the situation to just "suck it up, stuff happens"... And the fact of the matter is, the MECHANICAL aspect of the engine swap was done too (either doing yourself, or paying a shop) so it's not like the shop (or yourself) cheated on labour/work. And that's not trying to get on the bad side of the shop involved either...

So I guess good luck to both parties, hope you guys can come to a fair agreement on labour/cost, etc... As with all my posts, there're usually pointlesss, but just offering my opinion stating the obivous. That's probably why I'll be stuck being a lonely dent guy than having my dream job; being a Calvin Klein underwear model. :bigpimp:

I don't think it's the failure of the headgasket anymore that the OP is bothered by - but your point about it failing is valid.

It seems to me that they had a "deal" and it falled through, that would be my interpretation.

This sucks for both sides IMO. And I don't think either side really did anything wrong. :dunno:

van
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Time and time again you prove yourself to be a retard.:rolleyes:

cocoabrova
05-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by adidas
*snipped*
But what i dont understand is that you state "money is not an issue" so why didnt you get a engine with less km that way it wouldnt have problems?!

For for all the geniuses out there that were saying we were mistaken for swapping in another used engine, or that swapping in a 140,000km engine is a 'bad move,' if you read below, you'll understand. I will however re-iterate the fact that 140,000kms on an engine that came out of a 1993-ish BMW is in good condition and was only driven an average of 10,000kms/year...How many other engines do you think are out there with LESS than an average of 10,000kms/year??

Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
*snipped*
Didn't you know? It's never the customer's fault for taking the cheapest way out.

Firstly, it was on YOUR ADVICE that he decided to get the engine replaced instead of just getting the head rebuilt....Remember Marc, YOU were the one that told US that the labor charge was roughly the same for both jobs so we might as well replace with a lower km used engine. How the hell would we know the labor rates for each job BEFORE you told us?? I guess you made more of a markup on a used engine assembly then on farmed-out cylinder head rebuild... So yes, this time, it ISN'T our fault...

Secondly, your post basically reinforced the real issues here....what I had said about you giving us the runaround in regards to not doing this engine R & R job in the last 4 mths., thanks for that and also for revealing your identity on your own volition. Forget about the fact that my cousin did NOT go down to your shop at 630pm, but AT 300pm or so. If you feel the need to be petty about this and post lies like that, or the one about us taking the cheap way out, or to post this: "I will not be fixing your cousin's headgasket as I do not want or need yours/his business" even AFTER you've already refused to remedy the situation, then go right ahead. You've already showed us the "real" you and how you treat customers that won't just sit back and listen to your excuses. In fact, is that what happened with the Porsche guy whose brakes you did, then the brakes failed while he was on a road trip in the mountains and the car was totalled and he claimed he almost died? How did you deal with that guy? Oh wait, your story eventually got into The Calgary Sun because he ALSO did not sit back and take what you said for face value but was in fact, unlike us, threatening/harrassing you to the point that you had to involve the CPS/media.....So basically, if we *would've* acted irrationally like THAT guy, then the outcome would be......wait for it......the same.....I guess it doesn't pay to try and be a little diplomatic anymore, you still end up getting screwed in the end. I also find it intriguing that I've NEVER in the last 18 yrs. of me living in Calgary, had to read about a local auto repair shop being harrassed by an irate ex-customer in The Calgary Sun until I read about Alpine Autowerks in there....Things that make you go hmmmm........

Nice...At least a few ppl that posted in this thread offered some intellectually-stimulating and thought-provoking 'words of wisdom.' But for you sir, I can not say the same. WTF does "trying to be a baller" have to do with ANY of this? If you're referring to my sig, well it's just a sig y'know. I'm not a baller, I'm just a squirrel in the world trying to get a nut, and the nut being in this case, what's owed to my cousin. We are simply going to exercise our legal right to pursue this matter further, and yes it doesn't matter how much money or how long it takes, because the fact of the matter is that Alpine Autowerks/Marc should and will be held responsible for going back on their/his verbal agreement that he had entered into with us, on two occasions. There isn't even a shadow of a doubt on the matter of him going back on his words because of what he posted about his acknowledgement of wanting to get the car in, and then posting this: "I will not be fixing your cousin's headgasket as I do not want or need yours/his business." Thanks for that Marc BTW:thumbsup: You A790 sir say "just deal with it" and we say "yezzzurrr we will be"

962 kid
05-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

In fact, is that what happened with the Porsche guy whose brakes you did, then the brakes failed while he was on a road trip in the mountains and the car was totalled and he claimed he almost died? How did you deal with that guy? Oh wait, your story eventually got into The Calgary Sun because he ALSO did not sit back and take what you said for face value but was in fact, unlike us, threatening/harrassing you to the point that you had to involve the CPS/media.....So basically, if we *would've* acted irrationally like THAT guy, then the outcome would be......wait for it......the same.....I guess it doesn't pay to try and be a little diplomatic anymore, you still end up getting screwed in the end. I also find it intriguing that I've NEVER in the last 18 yrs. of me living in Calgary, had to read about a local auto repair shop being harrassed by an irate ex-customer in The Calgary Sun until I read about Alpine Autowerks in there....Things that make you go hmmmm........

Good luck contacting him :dunno: it was a friend playing a not-so-tasteful practical joke

I was there at 3:00PM Al, as was Pete and Keith who runs a seperate business in the front of the bay (who also is there until 6:00PM). Are you saying we're all liars?

Take it to the courts, AMVIC, BBB whatever you want, but spreading your one-sided misinformation here isn't gonna do anything for you.

cocoabrova
05-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Before anyone else posts re: this thread, remember, the problem of the leaking headgasket was not the issue here, that had been resolved 4 mths. ago, with the end result being a verbal agreement between the two parties, that the two parties would split the cost of the labor involved with the 2nd engine R & R job. The bonus was that the engine vendor was going to warranty the leaking headgasket engine at no charge to anyone.
There was never any doubt 4 mths. ago as to Marc's/Alpine Autowerk's intentions to follow through with this verbal agreement. But after 4 mths. of excuses and not giving my cousin and his problem ANY kind of priority or acknowledgment, I had to step in as a representative of my cousin to resolve this issue once and for all, especially since I felt kind of responsible for advising him to take it to Alpine Autowerks/Marc in the first place. This is when Marc entered himself into another verbal agreement with us, and booked an appointment for my cousin to drop his car off on Monday May 21st in the morning, at which time the engine R & R job would be started. I asked Marc how long should we leave the car for, and he stated it would be done in about a week. I said fine, I'll let my cousin borrow a car until his is done and that I didn't have a problem with this. I then proceeded to leave and even said "Thank you" to Marc and walked out the door. About a half hour later he calls my cousin and says that he didn't appreciate being 'yelled at,' and that he WILL NOT be working on the car, EVER, and to take it somewhere else for the headgasket problem.

cocoabrova
05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Good luck contacting him :dunno: it was a friend playing a not-so-tasteful practical joke

I was there at 3:00PM Al, as was Pete and Keith who runs a seperate business in the front of the bay (who also is there until 6:00PM). Are you saying we're all liars?

Take it to the courts, AMVIC, BBB whatever you want, but spreading your one-sided misinformation here isn't gonna do anything for you.

So you're admitting that there WAS in-fact a story in The Calgary Sun? I NEVER said I knew everything about this story that was in the paper, I merely stated the facts: Alpine Autowerks was involved in a story regarding an ex-customer whose brakes were done by Alpine Autowerks. The brakes then failed while he was on a road trip in the mountains and the car was totalled and he claimed he almost died....All anyone would have to do is search in the Sun's archives to find this article ;)
The "one-sided misinformation" being spread is you saying "it was a friend playing a not-so-tasteful practical joke" (which also incidentally, by you stating this, proves AGAIN that there was in fact a story in The Calgary Sun involving Alpine Autowerks and the scenario I posted above) How do WE know it was a friend playing a not-so-tasteful practical joke?

Regardless of what the actual story is with THAT guy, or what time you guys locked the doors, or whatever else, the bottom line is that Marc/Alpine Autowerks had two verbal agreements with us, well not just verbal since he decided to post in this thread, and went back on his word on both of them. Simple. Thanks for coming out though:thumbsup:

ken-gsr
05-18-2007, 08:56 AM

woooo now - lets bring the hate down a couple of notches. Ok maybe I EXAGGERATED a little bit when I said 500k, it wore out really fast after I bought it (a couple of months). I have gone through a couple of clutches myself - I have been driving 7 years so I am pretty sure I have it figured out. Anyways point is they never replaced it.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

I put about 500km's in about a week... 500km's is not a couple of months unless your car is a total garage queen

cough... read... cough.
Thanks for pointing that out though :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
**Grabs popcorn and pulls up a seat**

ken-gsr
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
really? at 9am - come on, now thats not a very health breakfast.

legendboy
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
what a crappy situation for all involved :(

boi-alien
05-18-2007, 10:16 AM
i hope it works out for everybody involved in the situation. good luck

euro_racer
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
to the guys bickering about an integra clutch...nobody cares, make your own thread! this thread and the issue of this thread is about customer service, or the lack there of :thumbsup:

4 months of having to deal with a broken head gasket and patiently waiting is a long time for anyone and it is not acceptable. So instead of making cocoabrova and his cuz wait for that long, the shop should have known in advance that they were too occupied with other work and maybe let them know way earlier about the issue instead of postponing week after week. Calling up his cuz right after cocoabrova left the shop with a verbal agreement is a unprofessional thing to do, almost seems to me like the owner is way tougher over the phone than he is when you confront him in person :poosie: …that is just bad organization and business if you ask me

5hift
05-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
4 months of having to deal with a broken head gasket and patiently waiting is a long time for anyone and it is not acceptable. So instead of making cocoabrova and his cuz wait for that long, the shop should have known in advance that they were too occupied with other work and maybe let them know way earlier about the issue instead of postponing week after week. Calling up his cuz right after cocoabrova left the shop with a verbal agreement is a unprofessional thing to do, almost seems to me like the owner is way tougher over the phone than he is when you confront him in person :poosie: …that is just bad organization and business if you ask me

:werd:

The friends of the shady shop guy have done a decent job at trying to take the discusion off course involving shit no one gives a fuck about.

Its pretty simple. Regardless of how busy your shop is, you take care of the customers who have already paid. Being too busy is YOUR problem, not the customer who has already paid. If your small time operation cannot keep up with the pace, maybe only take volume you can handle? :dunno:

Leaving a customer who has already paid waiting for 4 months is ridiculous and the OP was more than patient. You seem to have no problem explaining yourself over the internet or phone, but when it comes to being in person you really come out as a bitch.

HotversionDC2
05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Obviously Alpine Autoworks does not know how to deal with customers or have any public relation skills, instead of dealing with the issue regardless even when the customer is willing to split the labour and get it done with and out of the shop and make sure it wasnt an issue anymore, instead he blatantly to both Cocobrova and his cousin tells them to basically fuck themselves and move on, as well right here on beyond saying he doesnt want to deal with it anymore. You know what buddy, I deal with retail all day long and I deal with some shitty people. No matter how heated the argument got with Cocobrova you should be the one staying cool and trying to save some face and get this dealt with. These people even waited on you to get your shit together and now after all that you tell them to hit the road. :thumbsdow Buddy if this is how you treat a situation like this, dont expect to have much business in the near future

GQBalla
05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
i can sense another buisness shuttin down soon.

wow... fucken shady shop...

KenP
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
cocoabrova I would be cautious he may make amends with you, fix your engine and then cut your break lines!

:nut: :rofl:

jhmed
05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by KenP
cocoabrova I would be cautious he may make amends with you, fix your engine and then cut your break lines!

From what I've heard he doesn't have to cut the lines... he just has to WORK on your brakes.... :dunno: :nut: :D

J/K

sjaswal
05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
so what is it?

Is it cut the lines or break the lines?
:confused:

sorry bad humor...see 2 posts back

DRKM
05-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't sympathize with the OP very much. Everyone one here can say whatever but the fact is the head gasket went. The techs can not be held responsible, expcially when vauge terms were used "change any gaskets..." If you wanted a rebuild you could have asked...

Anyway, you were lucky that they were kind enough to split the cost of the head gasket, but whe you start being a dick to them why should they go out of there way for you at all?

Fuck I have been a tech now for over 5 years and nothing is more irrating than having some no it all customer (not explicitly refering to you OP) complain and complain about there shit cars. If they made that agreement with you why did you not just bring the car to another shop and split the bill afterwards?

You complain that you spent 300 dollars on coolant, and is damaging the engine further but you will not take it somewhere else to get it fixed? Get the car fixed! Then go to court if they odn't want to pay the half. Seriously,

I do sympatize with the shop though. Expecially a rebuild shop. Those guys are backed up for months all the time.

You have to look at it from our perspective, we offer to fix a problem that was not even caused by us for CUSTOMER SERVICE and then get screamed at because we are taking too long.

2BLUE
05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Used engine doesn't have warrentee?

Mine came with warrentee.

Euro_Trash
05-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Warranty

1-Bar
05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by DRKM
1. I don't sympathize with the OP very much. Everyone one here can say whatever but the fact is the head gasket went. The techs can not be held responsible, expcially when vauge terms were used "change any gaskets..." If you wanted a rebuild you could have asked...

2. Anyway, you were lucky that they were kind enough to split the cost of the head gasket, but whe you start being a dick to them why should they go out of there way for you at all?

3. Fuck I have been a tech now for over 5 years and nothing is more irrating than having some no it all customer (not explicitly refering to you OP) complain and complain about there shit cars. If they made that agreement with you why did you not just bring the car to another shop and split the bill afterwards?

4. I do sympatize with the shop though. Expecially a rebuild shop. Those guys are backed up for months all the time.

5. You have to look at it from our perspective, we offer to fix a problem that was not even caused by us for CUSTOMER SERVICE and then get screamed at because we are taking too long.

Holy crap buddy, if you read the original post and the updates that Cocoa did a couple posts up, there would be no need for your useless post b/c everything you wrote had been answered already.....Here's some Coles notes to help you comprehend:

1. Headgasket went, no big deal OP said to replace gaskets/seals. Headgasket is a big item. Additionally, it was not a problem when it originally blew. The problem stems from the agreement that was not kept: split the cost of labour for HG replacement, and the motor was going to be covered under warranty. 4 months later, dun dun...HG is still not fixed.

2. Look at #1 for the answer. 4 months is plenty of time to get the job done. Let me fuck you over for 4 months and see how calm you are.

3. Get another shop to foot the bill, then goto the original shop and say, hey can you pay half of this?!?. They can go back and say a big FU, see you later, you didn't abide by our agreement, there's no way I'm paying for that.

4. Being backed up is not an reason for delaying the job, its an excuse. I deal with customer issues day long, if it isn't fixed the first time around, they get priority to get there stuff fixed again, reason being, it should have been fixed the first time around.

5. Again re-read the OP or refer back to #1.

talonboi
05-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by DRKM
The techs can not be held responsible, expcially when vauge terms were used "change any gaskets..." If you wanted a rebuild you could have asked...

At my work, before we do an engine swap, we ask the customer what they would like us to change before dropping in the motor, and when a customer told me, "change the gaskets" (me being in the car business was smart enough, to ask) "which gaskets?" and i think it'l be the shops fault if they didnt ask that question (which gaskets) because how is the customer to know all the gaskets in the engine?

shops have to be very clear on what is being done to the car.

TNation
05-19-2007, 03:09 PM
:drama: i'd be so upset if I was cobra though. I understand his point, and I'm never going to Alpine now, if I ever was going to.

EK 2.0
05-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by defekt1

A790 is really good at that hey??

Al and Marc...I do hope that some kind of resolution can be made without it getting too far out of the both of your hands...

2BLUE
05-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Just split the bill in half and be done with it.

I always see these senarios about shops...its a joke ...

Go to court i have NEVER LOST against a shop i have have been to afew court cases. Usually the bill is split 70-30 or something like that...

I belive this shop has another person not happy with them but im not sure who it is...someone on beyond.

I know neither the shop or the defendant but bringing it on here is going to turn into an argument like no other...I would just go to court everyone knows shops pull one over the customers...

Also if the shop is so busy then what happens to previous customers that need youre help? Going to make them wait a month....naww thats not a shop that sounds like a mikey mouse operation.

If youre that busy then hire more employees.

Thats my 2cents.

jhmed
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Haven't you heard???

We're in a labor-shortage... its also a convenient excuse for businesses to give shitty customer service... If one more person shrugs their shoulders at me and says: "Labor shortage." in response to a complaint, I will go Postal on them... no offense to the shop in this thread though... :D

Oh, and it's Mickey Mouse... (remember the song...? "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E...") :D

TomcoPDR
05-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Before anyone else posts re: this thread, remember, the problem of the leaking headgasket was not the issue here, that had been resolved 4 mths. ago, with the end result being a verbal agreement between the two parties, that the two parties would split the cost of the labor involved with the 2nd engine R & R job. The bonus was that the engine vendor was going to warranty the leaking headgasket engine at no charge to anyone.

Yea, I see Al's point here as per this agreement. (why he wrote the thread)

And I see Marc (the shop's) point of view of not wanting to work on a customer yelling and screaming, etc... (any videos?) JUST JOKE.

Tough situation for both. Again, good luck.

3rr0r
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
wow, crazy thread. Any updates?

canadian_hustla
05-26-2007, 09:39 PM
95% of what you have said is absolute BS! You do not know how the work was done/who the work was done by and what had transpired. You are an uninformed guy who thinks he is a mechanic and hasn't got a clue about a vehicle. Once you go through MANY years of training AND experience, then maybe you would have a right to spew off the garbage that you are spewing. You like many people think that because you own a BMW and because you can read on the internet this makes you an expert on vehicles and repairs but it DOESN'T!

So the day you have spent a full day in a shop and had the experiences then maybe you can write this trash - until then just shut it.

that's my 2 cents.

A790
05-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by defekt1

Oh yea, you know me. :rolleyes:

Nice...At least a few ppl that posted in this thread offered some intellectually-stimulating and thought-provoking 'words of wisdom.' But for you sir, I can not say the same. WTF does "trying to be a baller" have to do with ANY of this? If you're referring to my sig, well it's just a sig y'know. I'm not a baller, I'm just a squirrel in the world trying to get a nut, and the nut being in this case, what's owed to my cousin. We are simply going to exercise our legal right to pursue this matter further, and yes it doesn't matter how much money or how long it takes, because the fact of the matter is that Alpine Autowerks/Marc should and will be held responsible for going back on their/his verbal agreement that he had entered into with us, on two occasions. There isn't even a shadow of a doubt on the matter of him going back on his words because of what he posted about his acknowledgement of wanting to get the car in, and then posting this: "I will not be fixing your cousin's headgasket as I do not want or need yours/his business." Thanks for that Marc BTW:thumbsup: You A790 sir say "just deal with it" and we say "yezzzurrr we will be"

You went about this whole situation the wrong way. You're talking about how many isn't a problem, blah, blah blah, yet you're making an issue over a deal that you made with the mechanic? Hence, money is clearly a problem or it wouldn't be an issue.

The fact remains that you hired him to do some work, he did it, and shit happened. It's like that joker that had an issue with 3M Trimline because 3M told him to shove off after he was being an asshole.

What is yelling/bitching/arguing going to get you? Oh, yea, NOTHING. Even the fucking mechanic told you to piss off. So yea, you're going to take him to court, wait a helluva long time to get a date, and then there's no guarantee that you'll even win. You made a verbal contract which, along with being almost impossible to uphold, will have been how old by the time the court date comes around?

A message on a forum CAN NOT be used as "evidence", as anyone could have came on posting as the shop. The onus would be on you to prove that the messages came from the shop in question, and even then, it's still unlikely that a judge would consider them.

So, after talking all of this shit, arguing with who the fuck ever, and trashing the shop, what have you gotten?

1. A broken car.

2. The shop telling you to fuck off.

3. A court date... in like a year, maybe.

If I were you I would have been pissed to, but you clearly didn't approach it the right way. There's a difference between "being bent over" and having the right level of assertion. Just because you're a customer doesn't mean that you're god, so lay off the god complex and come to terms with what is actually happening.

Fuck, at the end of the day the shop owners/mechnics are still people. When someone is fucking yelling or bitching at you, what's your first reaction? I'll tell you right now it sure as hell isn't "Hey, yea, I'll fix your car."

In other words, YOU fucked up in the way that you handled the situation, and now YOU are going to have to find a resolution. So yea, thanks for coming out.

Originally posted by 1-Bar

Haha, your reply speaks for itself. Looks like you've been bent over backwards time and time again (and seem to enjoy it). If you read and can comprehend this thread, they are dealing with it, they are pursing legal action. Thanks for coming out though

How does my reply show, in any way, that I have been "bent over backwards"?

I made that comment because he comes on here posting all of this shit, then starts making threats/comments about all the shit that he's supposedly going to do, and how they've brought "many an entrepreneur" down.

I understand having an issue with someone, or even a business, but why does he have to come on here like he's gotta be some hero? What is he trying to prove? A smart person would have kept their mouth shut about whatever legal crap they were going to do, perhaps lower the hostility between the various parties, and pursue whatever legal action privately AFTER trying to work things out amicably.

Granted, he says that he did make attempts to do that, but his side of the story is SO one sided that there's no possible way that's how it occurred. He's reeking of bullshit, and that's simply because he comes on here, pissed right off, and starts flaming away.

He'd have been better off to calm down, think out how he was going to approach the shop, and then try to work it out from there. He sounds like he's more than happy to go to court which, along with being somewhat alarming, shows that he's probably not doing anything to prevent it either.

Really sorry, but the customer isn't always right, and it's amazing how the tune of the general audience changed when the name of the shop was displayed, isn't it? It went from "POST THE SHOP, TAKE EM OUT, etc. etc." to "Well, I hope it all works out, etc. etc.".

But hey, you're right, I should immediately agree with whatever the OP says when they complain, regardless of how obviously juvenile and emotional it may be. :rolleyes:

canadian_hustla
05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
you are trying to ruin a completely REPUTABLE shop with your own ignorance

for those that are saying "I will never go get work done @ Alpine Autowerks because of this incident" you guys are just sheep being led by a falsified one sided story.

If you don't believe me, riddle me this

since when is there a warranty on LABOUR for a USED part?

If it was a brand new engine, then of course they would have to get a new one and install it happily for you.

but a USED one? get a grip

3rr0r
05-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I thought the disagreement was all about splitting labour costs for a head gasket install :dunno:

finboy
05-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
you are trying to ruin a completely REPUTABLE shop with your own ignorance

for those that are saying "I will never go get work done @ Alpine Autowerks because of this incident" you guys are just sheep being led by a falsified one sided story.

If you don't believe me, riddle me this

since when is there a warranty on LABOUR for a USED part?

If it was a brand new engine, then of course they would have to get a new one and install it happily for you.

but a USED one? get a grip

i think you need to re-read the thread, the shop agreed to cover half the labour on the repair

canadian_hustla
05-27-2007, 01:38 PM

i think you need to re-read the thread, the shop agreed to cover half the labour on the repair

thanks, done and done

if they wanted to cover 1/2 the repairs our of their own good will, that would be it.. good will

they are not legally entitled to repair/fix or promise to fix anything. Even if they did reneg on a verbal promise, Cocabrava has no legal recourse as they were not legally bound to fix anything in the first place

finboy
05-27-2007, 01:41 PM

thanks, done and done

if they wanted to cover 1/2 the repairs our of their own good will, that would be it.. good will

they are not legally entitled to repair/fix or promise to fix anything. Even if they did reneg on a verbal promise, Cocabrava has no legal recourse as they were not legally bound to fix anything in the first place

a verbal contract is still a contract and is legally binding, the shop even confirmed that they agreed on it

TomcoPDR
05-27-2007, 01:46 PM

But to be fair, in between the time of the agreement with the RE-repair, the shop owner was yelled and screamed at by the customer. (Not taking sides)

WE (in the forum) don't know and can't confirmed if that happened (unless someone has it on vid), only the two parties involved will know.

Shop and business owners are people too. Anyone of you ever worked in a restaurant environment for example? Ever had to deal with those customers who brings their half eaten plate/take out yelling and screaming: "I'll never come back here, your food's too salty, etc... your food stinks, I want my full money back, and while you're at it get me a store gift certicate for next visit" Just watch the movie "Waiting"... It should be classify as 80% documentary. Those who nicely advice their lighly eaten food being cold; will get a proper re-heat... those who come out yelling and screaming about their 3/4 eaten plate and wants a freebie; WILL get some "freebies" :poosie:

And I'm NOT against AL (customer) nor the shop owner, just trying to contribute. And yes, I understand what Al (customer) is saying in starting the thread.

EK 2.0
05-27-2007, 04:30 PM

But to be fair, in between the time of the agreement with the RE-repair, the shop owner was yelled and screamed at by the customer. (Not taking sides)

Both Al and Marc are friends of mine. And I am not wanting to take one side or another. I just hope this gets resolved as such that both parties are content.

But having said that, Marc was making Al's cousin wait 4 months. Yes shops are busy, I for one working in the auto industry for as long as I have know this...Especially a smaller specialized shop such as Marc's. But I think and I feel this would go even if Al was not a friend and a "normal" user posted this. That 4 months is a long time to wait.

And on the flip...Marc did offer to split labour and stuff. It's just a bad situation all around from all sides...I just hope it can get resolved is all. It really sucks to see things like this when two friends are involved...And as Marc had posted they did try to find other shops willing to take on Al's cousin to get the matter laid to rest.

But again, I am sure from both sides there are aspects we have not heard or have not read about.

A790
05-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
But I think and I feel this would go even if Al was not a friend and a "normal" user posted this. That 4 months is a long time to wait.

I agree with that one. Some better communication should have taken place on both sides.

cocoabrova
06-01-2007, 02:13 AM
95% of what you have said is absolute BS! You do not know how the work was done/who the work was done by and what had transpired. You are an uninformed guy who thinks he is a mechanic and hasn't got a clue about a vehicle. Once you go through MANY years of training AND experience, then maybe you would have a right to spew off the garbage that you are spewing. You like many people think that because you own a BMW and because you can read on the internet this makes you an expert on vehicles and repairs but it DOESN'T!

So the day you have spent a full day in a shop and had the experiences then maybe you can write this trash - until then just shut it.

that's my 2 cents.
So if 95% of my post is BS, than why in Alpine's post does it clearly show that there WAS an agreement made to do the 2nd engine R & R, regardless of who's paying for it. And BTW how the fuck do YOU know what my auto mechanics background is? I guarantee that I know more than most of you "informed" guys out there.... The problem here had NOTHING to do with the workmanship of the shop, the problem was Alpine Autowerks reneged on the verbal agreement to perform the engine R & R job, even AFTER they setup an appt. to bring the car in FOR that job. Regardless of whether I went about it the right or wrong way, the FACT is that Alpine had already setup the appt. to drop the car off, THEN 1/2 hour later the owner changes his mind. WTF does ANYTHING in your post have to do with this?? And the 'owning a BMW' part?? It wouldn't have mattered if it was a 1986 Hyundai Pony with a resale value of $100, or a 2001 M3, the fact of the matter is that Alpine Autowerks went back on their verbal agreement and then refused to work on the car at all. Oh and BTW I DID work in a shop from 1994-1999 doing everything from oil changes to engine R & R's, AND have done 10 engine R & R jobs in my garage along with 5 headgasket jobs, 5 clutch jobs, numerous oil changes and tune-ups, all in the last 4 years, so I guess I CAN post this thread, although I have found that reading through vehicle-specific forums and using Mitchell on-demand (online manuals) has proven to be quite useful;)

alot of blah blah blah
more blah blah blah
then another:rolleyes:
Uhh the communication was done and over when ALPINE communicated (key word here) to US that they, whether in good will or out of guilt, would split the labor on the new engine R & R job, and then also when they, get ready for it again, communicated to us that they will do the engine job and to bring the car in on the date Alpine told us to. You're telling me my original posts reaks of bullshit, yet again, clearly in Alpine's post they concurred that they had agreed to do the work....So where is this BS you talk of? Do a search, you think I do this on a regular basis? I posted that many-a-entrepeneur have been brought down by negative publicity, that's a known fact:rolleyes:
I strongly feel that you canadian_hustla, and you A790, should hit up a Starbucks, order a couple of Orange-Mocha Frappucinos, grab your laptops, and READ THROUGH THIS THREAD THOROUGHLY before you guys post anything in this thread again:thumbsup:

WE (in the forum) don't know and can't confirmed if that happened (unless someone has it on vid), only the two parties involved will know.

Shop and business owners are people too. Anyone of you ever worked in a restaurant environment for example? Ever had to deal with those customers who brings their half eaten plate/take out yelling and screaming: "I'll never come back here, your food's too salty, etc... your food stinks, I want my full money back, and while you're at it get me a store gift certicate for next visit" Just watch the movie "Waiting"... It should be classify as 80% documentary. Those who nicely advice their lighly eaten food being cold; will get a proper re-heat... those who come out yelling and screaming about their 3/4 eaten plate and wants a freebie; WILL get some "freebies" :poosie:

And I'm NOT against AL (customer) nor the shop owner, just trying to contribute. And yes, I understand what Al (customer) is saying in starting the thread.
Yes and customers are ppl. as well, and having a customer wait for 4 mths to get a job done that was supposed to be done 4 mths ago, while telling the customer every week that they're too busy and try again next week, week after week, that was an ongoing insult in itself. Here are a few facts that are apparent: a) the shop agreed to do the work, b) the shop was "too busy" for the last 4 mths., c) the shop refused to work on the car at all AFTER 'getting yelled at.' So you're telling me that you don't think it's insulting and inexcusable for a customer to have to wait 4 mths for a job that was supposed to be DONE 4 mths ago? Please:rolleyes:

A790
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM

So if 95% of my post is BS, than why in Alpine's post does it clearly show that there WAS an agreement made to do the 2nd engine R & R, regardless of who's paying for it. And BTW how the fuck do YOU know what my auto mechanics background is? I guarantee that I know more than most of you "informed" guys out there.... The problem here had NOTHING to do with the workmanship of the shop, the problem was Alpine Autowerks reneged on the verbal agreement to perform the engine R & R job, even AFTER they setup an appt. to bring the car in FOR that job. Regardless of whether I went about it the right or wrong way, the FACT is that Alpine had already setup the appt. to drop the car off, THEN 1/2 hour later the owner changes his mind. WTF does ANYTHING in your post have to do with this?? And the 'owning a BMW' part?? It wouldn't have mattered if it was a 1986 Hyundai Pony with a resale value of $100, or a 2001 M3, the fact of the matter is that Alpine Autowerks went back on their verbal agreement and then refused to work on the car at all. Oh and BTW I DID work in a shop from 1994-1999 doing everything from oil changes to engine R & R's, AND have done 10 engine R & R jobs in my garage along with 5 headgasket jobs, 5 clutch jobs, numerous oil changes and tune-ups, all in the last 4 years, so I guess I CAN post this thread, although I have found that reading through vehicle-specific forums and using Mitchell on-demand (online manuals) has proven to be quite useful;)

Uhh the communication was done and over when ALPINE communicated (key word here) to US that they, whether in good will or out of guilt, would split the labor on the new engine R & R job, and then also when they, get ready for it again, communicated to us that they will do the engine job and to bring the car in on the date Alpine told us to. You're telling me my original posts reaks of bullshit, yet again, clearly in Alpine's post they concurred that they had agreed to do the work....So where is this BS you talk of? Do a search, you think I do this on a regular basis? I posted that many-a-entrepeneur have been brought down by negative publicity, that's a known fact:rolleyes:
I strongly feel that you canadian_hustla, and you A790, should hit up a Starbucks, order a couple of Orange-Mocha Frappucinos, grab your laptops, and READ THROUGH THIS THREAD THOROUGHLY before you guys post anything in this thread again:thumbsup:

Yes and customers are ppl. as well, and having a customer wait for 4 mths to get a job done that was supposed to be done 4 mths ago, while telling the customer every week that they're too busy and try again next week, week after week, that was an ongoing insult in itself. Here are a few facts that are apparent: a) the shop agreed to do the work, b) the shop was "too busy" for the last 4 mths., c) the shop refused to work on the car at all AFTER 'getting yelled at.' So you're telling me that you don't think it's insulting and inexcusable for a customer to have to wait 4 mths for a job that was supposed to be DONE 4 mths ago? Please:rolleyes:

lol, alright, well good luck with the demi-god complex. It will be interesting to see how all of this works out for you.

Hakkola
06-01-2007, 06:47 PM

lol, alright, well good luck with the demi-god complex. It will be interesting to see how all of this works out for you.

I don't see how it could get much worse, his cousin has waited long enough. I'm sure alpine autowerks does great work, I've heard only good things. I was going to take my car there to get some work done soon, but since this issue wasn't resolved as quickly as I think it should have been, I'm not confident in their service.

Too bad, I really wanted to take my car there. :thumbsdow

syb65
08-10-2007, 02:33 AM

You went about this whole situation the wrong way. You're talking about how many isn't a problem, blah, blah blah, yet you're making an issue over a deal that you made with the mechanic? Hence, money is clearly a problem or it wouldn't be an issue.

Pls re-read, this is not an issue of money, it is an issue of Alpine not standing by their word.
Also, since when is money being thrown around like dirt. Money is a factor of life, no matter how much you have; and everybody likes a bargain.
As Bill Gates says "I don't get rich by signing checks", *continues to bash Homer Simpson's home internet business table and water bird*.

YamaLube
08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Or you could deal with it like this guy........

Calgary - An ongoing dispute between a customer and a southeast auto-repair shop is believed to be at the root of a weapons incident Wednesday.
A man is alleged to have shown a gun to staff at the shop.
Police say the man is not a threat to the public, and add the weapon may have been a fake.

Lex350
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
it sounds like both sides are not acting properly...but I must say the taking 4 months to address a problem is pathetic.