PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Audi?

jharp
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I found an interesting Audi on another board and I was wondering if they are typically reliable car and if repairing them is reasonalbe.
Pardon me if this is a repost but I couldn't find it on a search.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
What Audi in specific? What year?

Generally speaking they are no less reliable than any other car if you take care of them. They have more options/gadgets, so they do have more things that CAN break than a lesser car, however this goes for any high end automobile. Repair costs aren't any worse than any other cars in it's class, but will be higher than something like an economy car. Expect to do things like control arms and tie rods ends sometime in the future - they aren't that expensive. Audi has the best interiors in the business, there aren't many people who will argue that. The car is built like a tank. The only repairs I've done on my car other than regular/scheduled maitenence in 2 years is a $70 fuel sending unit.

jharp
05-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks very much for the input.
It is a 96 A4 2.8 Quatro if that makes any difference.

Barrington
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah like he said it depends on the year and whatnot.. but if the car is over 80k expect rear wheel bearings for sure (i bought mine and had to do them within 2 weeks). Cupholders are damn weak as well, control arms are typical and depending on the model the clutch will probably go too. They are pretty damn solid i will have to agree on that, just very costly to maintain especially an S model car.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by jharp
Thanks very much for the input.
It is a 96 A4 2.8 Quatro if that makes any difference.

The car is 11 years old, so I would expect maitenence to be higher due to things starting to need replacement as a result of general wear and tear. Things like timing belt, control arms, pumps, maybe a pixel or 2 burning out on the LCD screen, etc. etc. Have it inspected if your serious, and then make the call. Also if the car is lowered below 25" (ground to highest fender point) it expediates wear on control arms.

The drive train is rock solid.

I haven't had to do bearings or clutch yet (car is chipped too), and so far no signs. I have 100,000km.

The cup holders suck balls. Apparently Audi owners don't get thirsty.

Barrington
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
You will have to do bearings soon then, I am at 130k and just did them. They are typical on all 96-01 models as the bearings they used were bad in the rear. Clutch is usually bad too though especially stock clutch on chipped car but you're lucky i guess. You DV's and TBB at all yet?
Oh and on 96 cars make sure to check the CV joints on the front, very weak on that model.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Barrington
You will have to do bearings soon then, I am at 130k and just did them. They are typical on all 96-01 models as the bearings they used were bad in the rear. Clutch is usually bad too though especially stock clutch on chipped car but you're lucky i guess. You DV's and TBB at all yet?
Oh and on 96 cars make sure to check the CV joints on the front, very weak on that model.

I did DV valves with BOSCH 710N's, SAMCO silicon TBB, and Vastperformance solid/silicone F-Hose. For like $100 you can bulletproof all the weakpoints in a 2000 S4. I personally have never heard/read about the clutch being at all problematic. Have you done any mods?

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
The 96 2.8 (12v) is supposed to be a very sold engine.. just check the normal things, (suspension, wear and tear etc) and have it inspected. If you are looking into modding at all.. this isnt the platform to do so. Go 1.8T if you are.

A stock clutch is fine for a chipped car.. it all depends on the abuse levels it has been shown.. The only time a stock clutch will not hold is above that. (ie. Turbo upgrades and such. Say Stage >Stage2)

Barrington
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Well the stock clutch on the s4 is fien with the stock power, chipped though its too much pressure and wears out much faster, its simple logic thoguh if you take a high power 4 wheel drive car and a weak clutch its going to be an issue, the clutch might not be an issue for you guys but i personally know over 4 other b5 s4 owners in the city who encountered the same problem and they didn't go on bag sessions on theirs either. On my car i have baileys DV's and samco TBB and apr snub mount, I haven't chipped the car yet i'm just afraid of the clutch going hahaha.
Yeah the 2.8 has no issues, but its also the most boring, 1.8t would be funner platform to work with, even though its a vw engine..

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Im going to go ahead and disagree with you. Either your friends dont know how to drive.. or the car has been bagged on. An S4 clutch will hold upwards of 300hp easily. Only with lauches, and poor driving will it not last.

No offense, but it looks like you are fairly new to modding your Audi, there is plenty of research available on www.audiworld.com that will help you along your way.

And the "1.8t would be funner platform to work with, even though its a vw engine.." You know VW owns Audi... so technically your S4 is a VW as well. They share MULTIPLE parts.

jharp
05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks very much for all the info guys. I would only be using the car as a commuter and I wouldn't mod it at all, so it sounds to me like as long as the car checks out then I would be in good shape.

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Should be fine for a commuter....

jharp
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Just out of curisousity, are repairs really pricey? What about normal stuff like air filters and light bulbs and stuff like that?

The guy with the car said something about a tranny leak, so it only works in semi-auto? Says a used tranny would run about $700, is that even close?

Thank very much for all the info, I really appreciate the input.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Im going to go ahead and disagree with you. Either your friends dont know how to drive.. or the car has been bagged on. An S4 clutch will hold upwards of 300hp easily. Only with lauches, and poor driving will it not last.

I agree, I've got 370 lb/ft of torque and 306HP and the clutch works fine. I bought the car already chipped at 80,000km (who knows how long before that, but I doubt it was chipped and immediately sold), now it has over 100,000km, I have the original service records and a clutch was never replaced.

Barrington
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM
And the "1.8t would be funner platform to work with, even though its a vw engine.." You know VW owns Audi... so technically your S4 is a VW as well. They share MULTIPLE parts.
1.8T is a VW Motor. The 2.7T is an Audi Motor, simply because VW owns Audi does not mean they are not separate entities. Parts are shared within models, just as you know the brakes on the B5 S4 are by Porsche. One motor was still designed by 1 company as was the other. Why do you think VW vehiles are 4-Motion and not Quattro, it is a copyrighted design by AUDI not VW.

Tik-Tok
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The cup holders suck balls. Apparently Audi owners don't get thirsty.

lol, I'm hearing this from every audi owner I meet, funny though, mine work fine, and I've got 4 of them in the front seats alone. One on the center dash, one behind the shifter, and 2 in the center console (then there's also two in the back seats)

heavyD
05-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I would say that Audi is middle of the pack or slightly worse for reliability. My brother has a 1994 A4 Quattro and while it's been okay mechanically, it's been plagued with electrical glitches which are common amongst VW & Audi. Idiot light warnings for no reason, failed power window motors, failed coil packs, failed collant sensors, etc.

I still like Audi's alot and as someone said the interiors are amongst the best in the business but you are rolling the dice with mid-90's models for sure and if you are used to Honda/Toyota reliability you will be disappointed. I would place Audi behind American made cars and even or slightly worse than Nissan/Mazda reliability wise.

jharp
05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I would say that Audi is middle of the pack or slightly worse for reliability. My brother has a 1994 A4 Quattro and while it's been okay mechanically, it's been plagued with electrical glitches which are common amongst VW & Audi. Idiot light warnings for no reason, failed power window motors, failed coil packs, failed collant sensors, etc.

I still like Audi's alot and as someone said the interiors are amongst the best in the business but you are rolling the dice with mid-90's models for sure and if you are used to Honda/Toyota reliability you will be disappointed. I would place Audi behind American made cars and even or slightly worse than Nissan/Mazda reliability wise.

Really? Wow.
Well would I be better off with a 180k Audi or a 270K Acura?
(Acura being a '97 1.7EL)

heavyD
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Really? Wow.
Well would I be better off with a 180k Audi or a 270K Acura?
(Acura being a '97 1.7EL)

It's impossible to say. Acura's still can have issues if not taken care of properly and that mileage would scare me off. 180K on an Audi pretty high also. Your best bet is to get a mechanical inspection or at the very least choose the one that looks to be taken care of better.

Personally I would look for lower mileage cars unless you absolutely have to have that make or model and price is adjusted for the mileage.

euro_racer
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
after owning a 93 2.8l audi 90 quattro and a 1990 audi 200 turbo quattro and a 88 audi 5000 a while ago and all the problems they gave me (non stop electricalproblems, transmission, overheating, stalling, leaking...etc.) i swore to never buy a audi again...of course though the newer ones are prolly better but every time i hear about audi i shrug :(

i hear the newer model 1.8t's are supposed to be really good though

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Barrington

Why do you think VW vehiles are 4-Motion and not Quattro, it is a copyrighted design by AUDI not VW.

Easy Answer... because 4-motion ISNT Quattro! It uses a Haldex differential, not a torsen.
COMPLETELY different systems.

Also, mind me asking which Porsche uses the HP-2 Calipers?
For as far as I can remember, Porsche had always used the Brembo made caliper. Not their own. And certainly nothing recent with an HP-2 Caliper.

Oh, and the older Audi's had been known to have electrical problems.. afaik most of those issues have been taken care of.

Barrington
05-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Easy Answer... because 4-motion ISNT Quattro! It uses a Haldex differential, not a torsen.
Yes, my point wasn't to say that 4-motion was the same as Quattro, but to say that VW would have loved to outsource the quattro system to their models but simply couldn't because it carries a pattent to another brand, identifying that all Audi technology is not transferable.
And yes the brakes are designed by porsche, not built by but designed by.

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok.. well how do you explain one Audi (The TT) using the same AWD system as the VW's? Its certainly not Quattro...(in the torsen way) but sold as such. Quattro is basically a name the Audi uses for their AWD system, nothing special about it. VW name 4-motion.. same setup as the TT. (Haldex differential)

As for the caliper question.. Im going to do some research, as I find it highly doubtful. Last car that I knew their was Audi Porsche collabration was the RS2... where the brakes were clearly labellesd with "Porsche"

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, so I have searched and asked some of the most knowledgeable Audi Enthusiasts in North America.. and there is no support for your claim about Porsche designing or having anything to do with the HP2 calipers.
The last Audi that anyone brings up with Porsche designed parts is the RS2....then the RS4 went thru Cosworth.

Please support your claim with evidence.

Link to post on Audiworld (http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2647981.phtml)

Barrington
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
meh you can have this one i don't have time to research, but hats off to you for all your work on that subject

R-Audi
05-17-2007, 03:44 PM
You could just site a source.. my guess is it was hearsey...Thats allright. Just dont argue a point unless you know it true.

ricosuave
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
this one?
http://calgary.craigslist.org/car/332193670.html

jharp
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Yep, that is it. I was looking at it on Kijiji though.

Any thoughts?

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Yep, that is it. I was looking at it on Kijiji though.

Any thoughts?

That's crazy cheap, seems a little too god to be true...have you seen the car?

jharp
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
no not yet, but thats what i was thinking too

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 01:39 PM
no not yet, but thats what i was thinking too

Well i'm sure you know the old saying that is usually true...if it's too good to be true it probably is.

jharp
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
235k kms, and a wonky tranny.
Think it is worth checking out? Based on what I have read in this thread I am a little skeptical about it.

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
235k kms, and a wonky tranny.
Think it is worth checking out? Based on what I have read in this thread I am a little skeptical about it.

I'd move on if I were you. Sounds like you'd be buying a headache.

jharp
05-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Ya, I agree.
Thanks very much for the help and advice.

aXc
05-21-2007, 03:44 AM
I know this is probably a bit late, since you've probably decided to move on... but I say keep looking and join the Audi family. :) I have a 2000 A6 2.7T, which has the same engine as the s4 i believe, and I absolutely love it. And I second Mitsu3000gt's comments about the control arms... I gotta get mine fixed soon. Same regarding the cup holders... they absolutely suck - you can't even fit a 650 ml (or whatever it is) pop bottle in them =\. Not sure if this applies to all audis too but I'm having some issues with my windows... they're kinda "wonky" ... As for repairs, the cost is reasonable, as long as you dont' go to the stealership and get charged $110 per hour for labour :guns: :guns:....not to mention the fact that they're really booked up so you have to book about 3 weeks in advance. Although I have to say if you do, the service is quite excellent at glenmore audi, you get picked up and dropped off in an A8 for their shuttling service :clap:

RobTheGob
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM

That's not completely true...

The 4-Motion system in the Passat & Phaeton is the same as a quattro IV system, complete with TORSEN. I think it basically comes down to VAG trying to resist brand dilution.

How could they explain to a customer that the lowly VW owner has the lengendary "quattro" in his car??

As for the A4 mentioned - I think overall Audi's are very DURABLE cars, but are not the most reliable. If they are taken car of properly, they will last a very long time.

Having said that - I'd have a very hard time buying an Audi (or most any car) that is having transmission issues, unless it is a "give-away".

Do yourself a favour - wait until a good car comes along and jump on that. I'd have a hard time believing that you would be any near $700 to replace a tranny in an A4...

Si_FlyGuy
05-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by aXc
I know this is probably a bit late, since you've probably decided to move on... but I say keep looking and join the Audi family. :) I have a 2000 A6 2.7T, which has the same engine as the s4 i believe, and I absolutely love it. And I second Mitsu3000gt's comments about the control arms... I gotta get mine fixed soon. Same regarding the cup holders... they absolutely suck - you can't even fit a 650 ml (or whatever it is) pop bottle in them =\. Not sure if this applies to all audis too but I'm having some issues with my windows... they're kinda "wonky" ... As for repairs, the cost is reasonable, as long as you dont' go to the stealership and get charged $110 per hour for labour :guns: :guns:....not to mention the fact that they're really booked up so you have to book about 3 weeks in advance. Although I have to say if you do, the service is quite excellent at glenmore audi, you get picked up and dropped off in an A8 for their shuttling service :clap:

Not sure if you're aware, but there was a recall for the window glides a while ago. I avoid the dealership now that I'm a bit wiser. Georges at Tunedub does a better job, has a better attitude, and is cheaper than Cdn Tire!

pinoyhero
05-21-2007, 09:19 AM
What Audi in specific? What year?

Generally speaking they are no less reliable than any other car if you take care of them. They have more options/gadgets, so they do have more things that CAN break than a lesser car, however this goes for any high end automobile. Repair costs aren't any worse than any other cars in it's class, but will be higher than something like an economy car. Expect to do things like control arms and tie rods ends sometime in the future - they aren't that expensive. Audi has the best interiors in the business, there aren't many people who will argue that. The car is built like a tank. The only repairs I've done on my car other than regular/scheduled maitenence in 2 years is a $70 fuel sending unit.

Says the guy who owns an audi, read about them man, they are not the most reliable cars by any stretch. I would argue they are one of the worst.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Says the guy who owns an audi, read about them man, they are not the most reliable cars by any stretch. I would argue they are one of the worst.

Just because I own one, doesn't mean I'm lying. You say their one of the worst, but you down own one, so the same thing could be said about you, or the car you own. I know many people with audi/vw product that has been their most reliable vehicles so far as it has for me. Just like every other car on the road pretty much, they have their weak points. Every manufacturer makes lemons as well. My friends dad picked up a brand new Z4 M coupe and the engine blew within a week. I don't think BMW is unreliable by any means. All i'm saying is that if you take care of it properly, there is no reason it should be any less reliable than anything else in it's class. Reliable as a civic? Probably not.

Aleks
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Just because I own one, doesn't mean I'm lying. You say their one of the worst, but you down own one, so the same thing could be said about you, or the car you own. I know many people with audi/vw product that has been their most reliable vehicles so far as it has for me. Just like every other car on the road pretty much, they have their weak points. Every manufacturer makes lemons as well. My friends dad picked up a brand new Z4 M coupe and the engine blew within a week. I don't think BMW is unreliable by any means. All i'm saying is that if you take care of it properly, there is no reason it should be any less reliable than anything else in it's class. Reliable as a civic? Probably not.

I think all he's trying to say is statistics don't lie. On average Audi/VW are ammong the least reliable cars out there. They also have the most loyal customers too. We bought one because it was by far the best car overall for us for the money even though I know all about the stats. We'll see what happens with reliability down the road.

aXc
05-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

Not sure if you're aware, but there was a recall for the window glides a while ago. I avoid the dealership now that I'm a bit wiser. Georges at Tunedub does a better job, has a better attitude, and is cheaper than Cdn Tire!

There's a recall on them? I looked up the transportation canada site... couldn't find one for the 2000 model =\ I've heard quite a bit about the 'bad' window guides (green ones)... so I'm thinking of ordering of the 'good' blue guides and then following the article on audiworld and doing it myself. Do you know where to get the part from other than from ECS and the dealership? I'm thinking of ordering 4 sets to keep a couple of spares around from ECS, and including shipping that's only 37 USD, I'm just worried it would take forever for the part to get here since it's from the states.....my vag-com cable took 2 weeks last time I ordered from the states =\ I think I might just give glenmore audi a call and see how much its there and if they have it in stock since I have the part # anyways...

Si_FlyGuy
05-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Ask the dealership about those guides. I got mine replaced last year for free.

aXc
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I think all he's trying to say is statistics don't lie. On average Audi/VW are ammong the least reliable cars out there. They also have the most loyal customers too. We bought one because it was by far the best car overall for us for the money even though I know all about the stats. We'll see what happens with reliability down the road.

I've never seen these statistics... and I wouldn't really be surprised if they really are as ppl claim, but I'd like to point out that a lot of the times little things fail because audi's typically have a lot of goodies ... I guess I'm just trying to say the more you have, the more statistically likely it is for something to break, and so audi's really should be compared to vehicles within the same class... i.e. not civics. And like Mitsu3000gt said, like any other car, exercising care will go a long way...

aXc
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Ask the dealership about those guides. I got mine replaced last year for free.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!