PDA

View Full Version : Parent and Bikes

Ricey_Ricerson
06-11-2003, 10:35 PM
... what the hell does ur parents say about it??? some of u are lucky and dont' live at home, but the people that do live at home.. what do they say???

my parents are bitches about it,,, ohh my friends son died.. blah blah..

88CRX
06-11-2003, 10:36 PM
my parents said i can get one the day i move out....

E36M3
06-11-2003, 10:37 PM
My dad told me the story about how one of his best friends was killed the week he bought a motorcycle when they were 18 years old. That did it for me, and I realized that safety is more important than performance.

Originally posted by Ricey_Ricerson
... what the hell does ur parents say about it??? some of u are lucky and dont' live at home, but the people that do live at home.. what do they say???

Wildcat
06-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ricey_Ricerson

your parents just saved your life, quit bitching

ExtremeSi
06-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
my parents said i can get one the day i move out....

:D Me too

04blackMAX
06-11-2003, 10:55 PM
its the parent thing to do man

Ricey_Ricerson
06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
haha so i guess no luck til i move out...

ramminghard
06-11-2003, 11:37 PM
my mom thinks that they are fun. She still doesn't like the idea of me having one but she knows that i know how to ride. Also go look at gear and show them how protective it is. It can be safe but that depends on the rider.

ryder_23
06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Ya, last year i witnessed a big bike crash, both guys walked away, only 1 guy had mild case of road rash...after that, i decided i'm going to get a bike, and thats when she realized technology is insane today

ramminghard
06-12-2003, 12:33 AM
If you are paying for it then just buy one and take it home. They most likely won't kick you out for doing it. Just take a course an buy good gear.

Dave P
06-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Everyone knows somebody who has crashed etc. But does that mean your going to as well?

Both my parents ride as well, so they support riding as long as saftey is the first priority

EG STyLeZ
06-12-2003, 03:22 AM
my parents would never support me getting a bike.

Ricey_Ricerson
06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Everyone knows somebody who has crashed etc. But does that mean your going to as well?

Both my parents ride as well, so they support riding as long as saftey is the first priority

ya.. i guess if your parents ride or have rode before they know how it is.. but if your parents haven't rode.. then all the see and hear is the stories

ZorroAMG
06-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Stats are that 1 in 4 people crash severly on bikes, does anyone have better info?

Shaolin
06-12-2003, 12:35 PM
my parents just said "The best way for you to learn is from experience." and gave me the thumbs up when I got my bike.. i think they trust that I won't go squid style so they didn't mind, and if I break some bones, well that's my own dam fault :D

ecstasy_civic
06-12-2003, 01:37 PM
i have to move out when i get mine, looks like im moving out in july/august lol

kevie88
06-12-2003, 01:54 PM
I moved out and got one, then moved back in :D:D

That was a looong time ago tho!

kevie88
06-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Stats are that 1 in 4 people crash severly on bikes, does anyone have better info?

It's probably closer to 1 in 1.. There are two types of motorcyclists:
1: those who have crashed
2: those that are going to crash.

It just happens. And yes, I'm willing to take that risk. Living life in fear of what might happen is not living.
(and I'm DEFINATELY in the first category) :rofl:

94CoRd
06-12-2003, 04:44 PM
ahha, just like a minute ago i was thinking about posting a topic called ' persuading your parents to get a bike', lol, but i found this one :D..lol...i want to get a bike, even though i know that when you crash, your risking your life, i would buy everything by meseflf, and classes, gas and insurance, so are there any good ways / info that could possible persuade my parents into saying yes? :D :thumbsup:, thanx alot

Blue Devil 2
06-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

your parents just saved your life, quit bitching

As simple as that, :werd:

Shaolin
06-12-2003, 04:51 PM
my cousin just got his bike license, but before he got it, I got the 3rd degree from my uncle and aunt because they said I influenced him to get a bike, and i defended myself successfully.. now my uncle's getting his bike license :devil:

kevie88
06-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Blue Devil 2

As simple as that, :werd:

No it isn't , don't be rediculous. I've known motorcyclists who have ridden for a lifetime and never crashed hard.

Blue Devil 2
06-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

No it isn't , don't be rediculous. I've known motorcyclists who have ridden for a lifetime and never crashed hard.

that's good, I can't say the same though :(

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-13-2003, 10:48 AM
My dad told me that he doesn't like it, he would prefer if I didn't ride. He of course tells me to be carefull, along with my friends, my mom, and even my friggen boss!

But they don't force me to do anything, so I can make decisions on my own.

ramminghard
06-13-2003, 01:45 PM
My mom and i are picking my bike up tonite

YCB
06-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
My mom and i are picking my bike up tonite

haha lucky guy...

lilboykorea
06-14-2003, 11:39 AM
it toook a while for me to convince my parents but they dont mind anymore
and my dad will be riding soon too

Ricey_Ricerson
06-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by lilboykorea
it toook a while for me to convince my parents but they dont mind anymore
and my dad will be riding soon too

thats wicked, they have to experience it first and see how it is

dogstar
06-14-2003, 09:49 PM
my dad wanted me to get a harley, my mom... well, she knows i ride, dont think she likes it, but she doesnt say anything.

they bitch about bike and car parts all over the garage... does that count?
lol

joseph
04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
:rofl: I'm just gonna buy the bike park it outside and then say "look what i got!":devil:

ryder_23
04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
holy old thread

ehos
04-08-2004, 01:35 PM
:)

mo_virgin
04-08-2004, 02:04 PM
^^^^^

WTF did you have to edit EHOS
Had to change your post whoring smilee?

dogmaiwli
04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
My parents say I can get one when they are dead and gone, and I am 26 Years old

ryder_23
04-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
^^^^^

WTF did you have to edit EHOS
Had to change your post whoring smilee?

you know u post whore enough telling the post whores to shut up..so incase, you as well are a post whore....

when i move out i can get a bike :thumbsup:

mo_virgin
04-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

you know u post whore enough telling the post whores to shut up..so incase, you as well are a post whore....

when i move out i can get a bike :thumbsup:

To each his/her own way!!!

ryder_23
04-08-2004, 03:03 PM
^
i get where your coming from though...sorry for snappin..so many post whores, oh well, up to the admins, not us :thumbsup:

Shaolin
04-08-2004, 03:19 PM
my parents just told me the best way to learn is to experience it..

been riding for 3 years now..

method
04-08-2004, 03:39 PM
my mom hates bikes... she bailed on one when she was in her 20s and knocked her front teeth out (open face helmet)

my dad is taking his motorcycle safety course at the end of this month.

doesnt really matter what they think though, the only bike I have over 50cc isnt even running :rolleyes: :D

Chester
04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
My parents don't mind at all for some very strange reason

hjr
04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
My dad was a big biker back in the early 70's. had a couple of bad crashes and now im not allowed to get a bike until i move out, which i have dont but of course now it have no money, haha. But the strange thing is that he doesnt care about me riding his dual-sport kawa? Strange. granted it doesnt have much power, but that doesnt mean you cant go 180 if you want to...

Ducati
04-09-2004, 02:59 PM
My dad rode bikes. I always remember his cursing and swearing at his "Goddamn Ariel" that would cook rear cylinders. I remember the day he crashed his Norton Dominator, and as soon as his leg healed he went out and bought a used Vincent Rapide. I remember he and all his biking buddies in ducktails and black leather hanging around in the barage, drinking beers and smoking nonfilter cigarettes.
So I found it very confusing when he forbid me to have a street bike.
"You will learn in the dirt, punk!" And I am glad I did.
I was 15 years old, and rode the 1973 Yamaha DT175 that we all shared. I was envious that my sister was a better rider than me.

It wasnt until I was 24 years old that I actually went out and bought my first street bike, a used 1973 Kawasaki H1 2 stroke triple.
Took it over to let dad see it, and all he said was "Hrrmph. Blue is for homo's"

A week and a half later I sold the H1 and bought a new Kawasaki Z1R. My dad was jealous, and would bug me to swap bikes with him (He, at the time, rode a 1969 Norton Commando Fastback)
So much for Blue being for Homo's.

CLiVE
04-09-2004, 03:03 PM
back when I was 16/17 my father always said. "We'll I can't tell you not to get one, b/c I've been riding bikes my whole life..."...:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
04-09-2004, 03:48 PM
My dad told me he would strap me and my bike together and run over them with his 4x4...:(

ramminghard
04-09-2004, 04:52 PM
My mom just said that i had to pay for it myself.

A_3
04-09-2004, 05:40 PM
^ life's hard :rolleyes: , my mom has forbidden me from buying one, my grandpa's dad was killed on one with my gramps riding on the back when he was young... i'll probably respect that but damn it would be sweet

Ducati
04-09-2004, 06:59 PM
"...my grandpa's dad was killed on one with my gramps riding on the back when he was young.."

Your gramps' dad; like, your great grandfather? That must have been quite a while ago.
Previous to 1969 when Honda used the first disc brake available on a streetbike on their new K series 750's, the drum brakes used were weak. In the fifties they used small 6" drums, and braking was abyssimal, frames flexed like there was a big hinge behind the steering head, and suspensions (If it wasn't a hardtail) bottomed hard with passengers on them, and that affected handling. In the "old days" motorcycling was indeed dangerous.

Today's bikes handle like they were an extension of your body, and control is like the bike responded to waves emitted by your brain. Braking is as good as the best Porsche, even on a rather mundane streetbike. Today's bikes are safe in every respect but one - rider enthusiasm and inexperience.

l/l/rX
04-09-2004, 07:11 PM
my dad will let me get my bike license and a bike. cuz he rides. but if something like...my grades in school go down, uh getting busted for drinking/smoking AGAIN...then yea i wont be getting anything for a while.

Ducati
04-09-2004, 07:16 PM
I thank god that I never had kids.

BebeAphrodite
04-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
My dad told me he would strap me and my bike together and run over them with his 4x4...:(

HA HA HA
I'm thinking my dad would say the same thing

Redlyne_mr2
04-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Let's face it there are alot of people out there who are not responsible enough to opperate a motorcylcle

illeagle
04-09-2004, 08:19 PM
My dad says, fuck that, i don't wanna take care of a paralized 20 year old fo rthe next 20 years, so now i just stick to turbocharged cars :)

Ducati
04-09-2004, 10:17 PM
If that thought goes through your mind, as well as your dad's, then maybe you will respect the enormous performance potential of a motorcycle, and ride accordingly. Once you learn the acquired skills of countersteering and proper braking, you can move on to how to charge the apex's, and thats where the fun really starts - but you must master basic survival skills first. Once all that is done, you are actually safer on a bike than you are in a cage, because of your heightened sensory awareness and accident avoidance skills. In a car, you are often a sitting duck, perceiving collision to late, and have time only to brace for impact.

I have been in a situation in Phoenix Arizona where I heard a car coming up behind me, noticed that he was coming fast, and cut out to the right, and the car hit the guy who I was behind 2 seconds previously. Thats just an example of the many times that enhanced perception ("spider senses"?) has saved my ass from being cooked.

Bikes are much more fun than Cars. Thats just a fact.

YCB
04-09-2004, 10:31 PM
after taking bike school, i realized how many crappy drivers there are in the city, ie) no signalling, quick lane changes, not even shoulder checking sometimes..

as Ducati says about "spider senses", even just driving a car, i can sort of anticipate the moves of other drivers.

Redlyne_mr2
04-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Ducati

Bikes are much more fun than Cars. Thats just a fact.
Depends what kind of car and bike you are comparing;) Personally Id take a well built sports car over a bike any day but thats just me

ehos
04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I wasn't post whoring. I made whole long post on my first bike, how my mom helped pick it off my legs, etc etc. But I just deleted it all :)

Also, YCB, a good tip I learned from an old timer is to watch people's front tires, soon as they twitch towards you, you twich away :)

Agreed: People in cars are the worst drivers.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-09-2004, 11:56 PM
I've had a bike for a year and my mom is kinda supportive, but she gets worried and I feel guilty :(

Ducati
04-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Alright, Redlyne - maybe I WOULD trade my bike for an Aston Martin Vantage...

It would have to be one hell of a fast and responsive car to sway my opinion, though.

AzN_4_LiFe
04-10-2004, 01:19 AM
My parents don't seem to mind at all either. I brought up the idea one time and before i knew it he called up the biker school to help me learn. I think it depends on how much ur parents trust and love you. Buyin a bike, insurance, gear, etc is like buying a one way ticket to ur funeral, but if u gotta, find ur own way to get it. luckily, i get a lot of help from my parents.

CLiVE
04-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

When I had my first bike. 1982 Yamaha exciter,
My dad used to pull up behind me at an intersection, bring the front bumper of the subaru into contact with the rear tire on the bike, and try to push me into the intersection, into oncoming traffic just to freak me out. Nice parents eh?....

lol. true story. :thumbsup:

Ducati
04-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Your dad sounds like a fun guy. Did he also hold your head underwater in the bathtub when you were a kid? :D

He seems to have redeemed himself for scaring the shit out of you when he gave you the 650. Does he still ride?

My dad was a sadist too. He once put ENO's in the sugar bowl before I sat down to breakfast and I spooned three or four spoonfulls of Enos into my Capt'n Crunch, which of course started erupting like a tabletop version of Krakatoa. My dad howled. He thought it was hilarious.

I wont go onto details of the horrible pranks he played on me with the entrails of aninals that he shot while hunting, but I did get back at him when I was older by putting a dead catfish into the big hose that was connected to the heater motor under the dash of his Oldsmobile.
It was a great prank. It took him almost a week to find the fish, and had to drive around with the stench blowing out of the defroster every morning for that time.

He and his equally whacked buddies (whom I only knew as "Lumpy" and "Baldy") responded by putting a dead black bear in my trunk of my GTO with the mouth propped open with a stick.

CLiVE
04-10-2004, 02:08 AM
Your dad sounds like a fun guy. Did he also hold your head underwater in the bathtub when you were a kid? :D

He seems to have redeemed himself for scaring the shit out of you when he gave you the 650. Does he still ride?

My dad was a sadist too. He once put ENO's in the sugar bowl before I sat down to breakfast and I spooned three or four spoonfulls of Enos into my Capt'n Crunch, which of course started erupting like a tabletop version of Krakatoa. My dad howled. He thought it was hilarious.

I wont go onto details of the horrible pranks he played on me with the entrails of aninals that he shot while hunting, but I did get back at him when I was older by putting a dead catfish into the big hose that was connected to the heater motor under the dash of his Oldsmobile.
It was a great prank. It took him almost a week to find the fish, and had to drive around with the stench blowing out of the defroster every morning for that time.

He and his equally whacked buddies (whom I only knew as "Lumpy" and "Baldy") responded by putting a dead black bear in my trunk of my GTO with the mouth propped open with a stick.

He doesn't ride much anymore.

You childhood strangely sounds a lot like mine. Sure we're not related...lol. :rofl:

Ducati
04-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Dad was killed in a car accident.

However I do apparently have an illegitimate half brother in Saskatchewan somewhere.

CLiVE
04-10-2004, 02:57 AM
Dad was killed in a car accident.

However I do apparently have an illegitimate half brother in Saskatchewan somewhere.

sorry to hear about your dad...

But I was born in Northern Saskatchewan.....???:dunno:

finboy
04-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE

sorry to hear about your dad...

But I was born in Northern Saskatchewan.....???:dunno:

*insert twilight zone music here*

finboy
04-10-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Depends what kind of car and bike you are comparing;) Personally Id take a well built sports car over a bike any day but thats just me

:werd:

i personally don't see the big excitment over bikes.

a buddy of mine has a nitroused busa, i respect how fast it is, but still don't get it :dunno:

i guess i'll always be a car guy :burnout:

sputnik
04-10-2004, 10:05 AM
when i was 12 i was driving with my dad and we were the first people at a red light and watched 2 people (guy/girl) get killed on a bike when a truck went through a red light.

that did it for me...

CLiVE
04-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
when i was 12 i was driving with my dad and we were the first people at a red light and watched 2 people (guy/girl) get killed on a bike when a truck went through a red light.

that did it for me...

So, I saw a pedestrian get hit by a Nissan Pathfinder, and then dragged for a block. The guy had no idea what he just hit. I was waiting at a bus stop and saw the whole thing happen, and walked over to see if the guy was okay...(he wasn't) That did it for me, I decided never to be a pedestrian again.. What's your point. Just use your head when you ride....

you are taking a risk every single thing you do....

unfortunately that was a true story...:(

Ducati
04-10-2004, 01:21 PM
I have more friends who were killed in cars than have been killed on bikes. Hell, I have a buddy who was killed while GOLFING.

I also have as many friends who have been murdered as have bought it on their bike.

I will never golf again, and will avoid all people.

bikrbabe
04-10-2004, 01:27 PM
My parents love the fact that I ride... actually, my mom wants to go out and get her licence this year, while my dad wants to buy a bike again after years of not riding!

I know it's a dangerous sport (I had some friends pass away while on their bikes), but if you're careful and always aware of what's going on, you shouldn't get into a crash.. (hopefully -lol-)

CLiVE
04-10-2004, 03:40 PM

I will never golf again, and will avoid all people.

LMAO...
DOWN WITH GOLF....:thumbsup:

boi-alien
04-10-2004, 04:02 PM
get a bike if you want to, but make sure you get the proper gear and respect the bike for what it is. the problem is all these young kids are so wrapped up in the whole image thing they all want to get a sports bike or a race ready bike (ie. cbr600RR) what they don't realize is the razor handling on those bikes will end up getting them hurt. Ride responsibly, and honestly getting a less than 600cc bike isn't so bad to start off with, there's still the potential to get hurt, and you'll still be faster than most cars out there. 1 little patch of gravel on the road can cause you to lose control. I just urge all the young would be bikers out there, RESPECT your bike. My best friend passed away about 2 weeks ago riding a bike. These past 2 weeks have been extremely hard for his family and I, especially his mom. Riding is not a right, it's a priveledge Please take care out there.

Ducati
04-10-2004, 07:32 PM
If I were in my teens again and contemplating my first new bike, I think the Suzuki SV650 would be at the top of my list. It is an excellent sporting twin cyl. bike that has lots of street credibility, a very manageable and satisfying powerband, and there are lots of aftermarket parts available for it.

Hell, teenager be damned, it is an excellent bike for anybody.

finboy
04-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
get a bike if you want to, but make sure you get the proper gear and respect the bike for what it is. the problem is all these young kids are so wrapped up in the whole image thing they all want to get a sports bike or a race ready bike (ie. cbr600RR) what they don't realize is the razor handling on those bikes will end up getting them hurt. Ride responsibly, and honestly getting a less than 600cc bike isn't so bad to start off with, there's still the potential to get hurt, and you'll still be faster than most cars out there. 1 little patch of gravel on the road can cause you to lose control. I just urge all the young would be bikers out there, RESPECT your bike. My best friend passed away about 2 weeks ago riding a bike. These past 2 weeks have been extremely hard for his family and I, especially his mom. Riding is not a right, it's a priveledge Please take care out there.

werd.

look how many people below 25 get into accidents in cars (myself included, both low speed, no injuries, and only 1 my fault luckily).
in a bike, an accident with another vehicle or losing control will be MUCH more disasterous than in a car. now add the fact that you can buy a bike that will do 12's in the 1/4 mile for less than 15 grand, and you have suicide machines. plus you have to worry about how crappy other drivers are as well.

my buddy's parents bought him a gxr600 last spring, he's dumped it twice that we know of that season, and he's been through training, and he doesn't even try to do any stunts.

i personally think buying a sport bike should be a little harder for people so new to riding.

Ducati
04-10-2004, 07:49 PM
People learn, as your fortunate but clumsy friend with the 600 will. During the first year you learn certain inalienable truths, such as Dont Pin er' on Cold Tires; Too much front brake is not good; Too much Rear brake is also not good; Countersteering is a good thing to practice, practice and practice some more; Gravel is Ugly and Dont chop the throttle while leaned over into a turn. Also always be aware of what is happening to the left of you. Most car/bike collisions are the always painful car turns left in front of bike scenarios.

How did your friend crash, Finboy? I will bet that he will not make those same novice mistakes again.

finboy
04-10-2004, 08:43 PM
first time, coming from a light and someone went to make a lane change and didn't see him, they swerved back in there lane but he got spooked and lost it.

second time, hit gravel.

i think he just fell over with it once while sitting around, but i can't prove it yet.

but thats the thing, learning on a bike isn't like learnign on a car, the reprocussions are much more dangerous, hence why you hear of so many bike accident related deaths.

ehos
04-10-2004, 09:44 PM
It's hard for me to believe anyone that says they would rather have a car over a bike.

It's easy to believe if they've never actually owned a bike (not just ridden on one, but owned).

Buy a bike, you'll never think ANY car is AS fun again. It's a totally different experience.

1) Speed. The slowest bikes are rocketships compared to FAST cars.
2) Openness. No cage around you, you can look anywhere. Hard to describe, but it's like you're flying.
3) Excitement.
4) The waves ;)
5) No BS conversations while you're riding! :)

It's the purest form of fast transport. You, your machine.

T5_X
04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
My parents will both disown me if I buy a street bike. My mom is a nurse and my dad is a surgeon. My dad has told me so many stories of people mangled and brain dead because of motorcylce accidents. Their philosophy is that thier son is a smart kid, and can handle himself on a quad, snowmobile, dirtbike etc, but due to the concentration of fucking morons on the road, its just too risky.

Yes, you have a risk of dying playing golf, driving a car (lower in a volvo haha!) and catching cancer staring at a computer screen, but the fact is, the risk is much higher on a street bike.

ehos
04-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Just because motorcycle accident's are more vivid doesn't mean there is MORE of them.

In fact, motorcycle accident rates have been FALLING over the years. Whereas car accident rates are increasing EVERY year.

Check the stats. Bikes are, sorry to upset people's first hand opinions, safer than cars.

Believe it. Bikers ride with more caution, and with more skill than cage drivers.

Annecdotal (sp) evidence sucks.

Ducati
04-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Ehos comments are completely right on.

There is a fellow who posted on the thread about 250/400 cc bikes who said that his first streetbike, at 19, is a TL 1000 Zook.
Nice bike - but I can tell you for sure, he WILL crash one day. It is easier to learn on an enduro or a small bore bike and acquire the skills needed to forestall the inevitable, or lessen its severity.

I have ridden everything from a 175 Yamaha, a 175 Ducati Monza, dirtbikes & enduros of all sizes, to big sportbikes of several types, to full dress Harley FL's, since the summer of 1973. I can tell you that the most entertaining bikes I have ever ridden, as a general day-to-day funride, are 600's.
Actually, the most entertaining bike I have ridden is a Morini 350 sport, but that bike's quirkiness excludes it from being a daily rider.

Bang for the buck - a 600 4 cyl. or the Suzuki 650 v-twin

Other notable mentions - Honda/Suzuki/KTM 400 cc single cyl. street enduros;
M900 Ducati Monster, due to their light weight, nimble handling and torque.

ramminghard
04-11-2004, 03:19 AM
i am hoping to pick up a tl1000 later on this season. sweet bikes.

Ducati
04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
The first year - I believe it was thew 1997 - had a nasty reputation as being a squirrely quick steering bike that spit even very experienced and talented riders off.

That problem has since been corrected. I am very partial to that big twin, and have ridden both thae Honda RC51 and TL-R, and much prefer the TL. Nicer rider position for me, and steers al little slower. It just feels more stable and confidence inspiring than the Honda.

A_3
04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
sorry to bump this thread up... but Ducati how the hell did your buddy get killed golfing, smoked in the head real hard by a ball?

method
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm gonna go with: struck by lightning? :dunno:

hjr
04-17-2004, 05:27 PM
bystander in golf course drive by

Ducati
04-17-2004, 10:08 PM
He had a heart attack, and apparently was dead before he hit the ground. The coroner said it was like his aorta just ripped open. He was in his mid 40's. Mind you, he was a smoker and a hard core drinker, doper, and was pudgy.

My group of friends has a morbid little contest each year. We bet on which of our group will croak that year. We had picked him every year for the past 3 years before he finally dropped.

Funny thing is, after the meatwagon came & went, only two guys left and the other three finished the 18 holes.

BANNED_ID
04-22-2004, 09:12 PM
My father told me he had a 50cc bike when he was 25, but he never had a accident.
He thinks its waste of money, since I have two cars already...but he doesn't care as long as I pay the insurance and bike on my own. :clap:

ww667
04-24-2004, 02:13 PM
well for me it is good.
I told my mother that will be buying a bike.
now she is paying my car inshurance.

Ducati
04-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Have you decided on a particular model of bike? Do you want a Sportbike, Street Enduro, or Cruiser? Whats your budget?

Good luck to you in your search.

hendosa
04-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Arghhhhhh, I had a print-out of the Calgary Safety Council Motorcycle training program on my desk and last night my mom left me a note on it:
Paul, this is not going to happen! You are not driving or getting a bike!

Whatever, I am still going to take the course, and finance my own bike.... stupid parents

SwitchBlade
04-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by hendosa
Arghhhhhh, I had a print-out of the Calgary Safety Council Motorcycle training program on my desk and last night my mom left me a note on it:
Paul, this is not going to happen! You are not driving or getting a bike!

Whatever, I am still going to take the course, and finance my own bike.... stupid parents

Haha hopefully i will see you next month man :thumbsup:

hendosa
04-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Hahaha yeah for sure dude! hopefully my parents haven't kicked me out of the house and I have a job to pay for the course by then!

5abi
04-26-2004, 06:03 PM
i can get a bike, but then i'll be kicked outta the house

iceburns288
04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
My dad said 'not for a first vehicle' and that was all. He bought himself a Ducati for his 16th birthday... :eek: NO FAIR! :drama:

sputnik
04-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Not really a stat... but in Manitoba motorcycle insurance is VERY expensive because their stats have shown that it is more likely that a motorcycle rider will be unable to work or function as a normal human being after an accident.

CowTownBiomed
04-27-2004, 08:48 AM
As a parent and a rider I cant wait (kind of have to though) to go riding with my kids.
Right now there is a line up, helmits in hand, waiting for a ride when I get home.
Way too cool!
My 3 year old son has already told me he wants his OWN motor bike.
Of course we are starting in the dirt as soon as they get the training wheels off of the bicycles.

sputnik
04-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by ehos
Just because motorcycle accident's are more vivid doesn't mean there is MORE of them.

In fact, motorcycle accident rates have been FALLING over the years. Whereas car accident rates are increasing EVERY year.

Check the stats. Bikes are, sorry to upset people's first hand opinions, safer than cars.

Believe it. Bikers ride with more caution, and with more skill than cage drivers.

Annecdotal (sp) evidence sucks.

Put a crash test dummy on a motorcycle and then tell me that bikes are safer. Do you believe EVERYTHING that you hear?

Please I would like to read ANY study that says the bikes are safer than cars.

sputnik
04-27-2004, 09:23 AM
He had a heart attack, and apparently was dead before he hit the ground. The coroner said it was like his aorta just ripped open. He was in his mid 40's. Mind you, he was a smoker and a hard core drinker, doper, and was pudgy.

My group of friends has a morbid little contest each year. We bet on which of our group will croak that year. We had picked him every year for the past 3 years before he finally dropped.

Funny thing is, after the meatwagon came & went, only two guys left and the other three finished the 18 holes.

So he didnt die from golfing... you probably wouldnt have brought up that story if he had his heart attack on a motorcycle

Ducati
04-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Sure I would have. If a rider has a coronary and crashes - and it has happened - the headlines read "Crazed Biker Kamakaze - 14 injured at Starbucks as speeding motorcycle plows crowd" or some such sensationalist crap.