PDA

View Full Version : Imports > Domestics !?

IncredibleToad
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
figured out the topic

we're focusing on vehicles that use alternate fuel sources

thanks beyond!

oh and jumperman (first poster)....go jump off something high

jumperman8
05-17-2007, 09:07 PM
search

katana9x4
05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Imports > Domestics !?

Yes they are.

Trying to explain this is like trying to explain why fat chicks give better head.

They just do.

PeterGTiR
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Here's one:

Anyone who is not of North American descent is not willing to buy anything that is domestic.

Asians, Europeans, South Americans they all don't trust American cars.

Graham_A_M
05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
^ Speak for yourself. I used to have 4 Jap cars over a 7 year period. They were all horrendous lemons. I spent probably around $30k on un-scheduled maintenence and repairs, while being left on the side of the road about a good 10 times.
I'm "North American" (white) and I wont touch Jap cars ever again. :dunno:

I used to be a *HARDCORE* Jdm-fanboy actually I hated Domestics for a good number of years. Then I ended up buying a '84 S10 as a winter vehicle. Yet it had 842,000km's on it. Still ran like a top, never broke down over the few years I've owned it. After a while I started to realize just how lop-sided and morotic this "Jap cars are the shit" mentality was. :nut:
I dont have any preference, although my favorite car manufacturer is probably Mercedes Benz.

403Gemini
05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by PeterGTiR
Here's one:

Anyone who is not of North American descent is not willing to buy anything that is domestic.

Asians, Europeans, South Americans they all don't trust American cars.

i'm european (dads german) and i like domestics :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
This topic will bring a lot of hate, and almost and pro's and con's will be shot down... Like if I said imports are generally more reliable, i'll have 10 ppl jump my throat asking for sources, and then disproving them by saying "i have a car that has XXX,XXX km's and still pulls strong, and its domestic"

It's all preference meng.

BoS_DC2
05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
This topic will bring a lot of hate, and almost and pro's and con's will be shot down... Like if I said imports are generally more reliable, i'll have 10 ppl jump my throat asking for sources, and then disproving them by saying "i have a car that has XXX,XXX km's and still pulls strong, and its domestic"

^ Werd, all in preference and the experiences you've had with imports & domestics, I've seen some ups and down in my family with both domestics and imports, it's just that most domestics need more maintainence or else they're totally shit. Also, most older generations of Mazda cars are absolutely junk (MPV, 626, 323, Protege...)

Hey, I did like my dads 87-89?? white GMC van? Ran like a champ, sometimes it broke down but nothing too severe..

01RedDX
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM

jdmXSI
05-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by katana9x4

Yes they are.

Trying to explain this is like trying to explain why fat chicks give better head.

They just do.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's soooo....True! about fat chicks, lol.
From my experiance, Japanese cars hold thier value roughly about 30% better than domestic's. If you were to buy both a japanese and and a domestic car of the same price. The Japanese car will hold more value alltogether than a domestic would. There are a number of reasons why, altought they just do. In terms of reliatbility, Honda and Toyota are around 120-140 problems per 100 vehicles and domestics like GM and Ford are around the 160-180 problems per 100 vehicles. If you want exact #'s, JD power and associates have a good comparison(BTW they are a domestic biased companie). Good luck with the report, I hope this helps you out a bit!

IncredibleToad
05-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by jumperman8
search

you want me to search for people's opinions and views on why an import may be better than a domestic? I'm obviously not basing my final project on the replies i get from this thread, I just want to see what people think about this and their reasons behind it.

thanks for your input

And i understand that all pros and cons are just going to be countered by another pro or con but thats good because it lets me see all sides of the topic, so thats exactly what I want, some good arguments!
keep em comin everyone!

IncredibleToad
05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Also, I'm taking the position that imports > domestics for this project,
so i will be using statistics that will favor imports

403Gemini
05-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

probably best thing quoted and should be a staple for what beyond should be about, car enthusiasts. This thread is asking for another pissing contest to start even if it is just for a "project" and imo, should be closed.

Searh button in the top right if the OP really wants info.

Kudos to Lildrunkensmurf on that post.

finboy
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
ummmm, they don't, it all depends what you are looking for in a car. any true car enthusiast can see the potential of both domestics and imports, all the rest is just fanboy hype.

IncredibleToad
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
well i never had the intention for starting a huge argument and its under the control of whoever wants to post, if they want to get at each other's necks...

i understand where ur comin from gemini but i mean if people dont want to say anything about it then they definitely dont need to post...and like i said im doing all the researching and gathering info right now, but maybe something that a member brings up might prompt me to go looking for more info on what thye bring up

finboy
05-18-2007, 12:03 AM
well, lets here why you think that imports are better then domestics, maybe people can bring up valid points either way so you can solidify or modify your viewpoint

BerserkerCatSplat
05-18-2007, 12:58 AM
How about picking a topic that isn't a horrible automotive cliche?

2EFNFAST
05-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by katana9x4

Yes they are.

They just do.

Both my domestics make over 600ft. lbs of torque

My import only makes 280tq.

How much does yours make again?

Zephyr
05-18-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I like cars in general, don't need to hate y0.

Toms-SC
05-18-2007, 06:38 AM
This thread sucks. -1/10

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Both my domestics make over 600ft. lbs of torque

My import only makes 280tq.

How much does yours make again?

You can easily make an import make over 600 ft/lb as well. Modded cars aren't really a good way of comparing the two.

I love that quote from the Ford CEO, he said himself that his cars were below average lol.

Anyways do a search there have been some pretty heated debates on this topic. Also, pick up any non-model-specific car mgazine i.e. motor trend, car & driver, road & track, wheels, etc. and they all tell you they don't like the way domestics are built, and in their buying guides, the "negative" they say about them is almost always their reliability/quality.

Also, take a look at depreciation.....

Thats as much as I'm going to say about this lol or I'll be here for weeks arguing with people.

Do a searh, this thread will probably be closed ASAP.

KenP
05-18-2007, 07:53 AM
American made cars have nasty interiors.. and are generally cheaper or so I think.. Look at the Viper with a $120 000 price tag it has one of the cheapest nastiest interiors out of any car I have been in! Take the Audi RS4 and that is a well built auto-mobile!
Instead of building quality parts to put on a car American companies just produce 1038298729837498273926378 of the same part so when it breaks they just replace it with cheap junk.

But like stated at the start of this thread it's all preference.

Redlyne_mr2
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Maybe you should change the topic of your essay, there is no such thing as an import/domestic anymore, it's a global market now. Also be careful on who you get advise from on here, 90% of the people on this board know nothing about the industry.

finboy
05-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by KenP
American made cars have nasty interiors.. and are generally cheaper or so I think.. Look at the Viper with a $120 000 price tag it has one of the cheapest nastiest interiors out of any car I have been in! Take the Audi RS4 and that is a well built auto-mobile!
Instead of building quality parts to put on a car American companies just produce 1038298729837498273926378 of the same part so when it breaks they just replace it with cheap junk.

But like stated at the start of this thread it's all preference.

while i do agree that domestics do usually have cheap interiors (they are slowly comming around), they do have a couple advantages. part interchangability is a HUGE one, take the srt4 for example, you can still bolt on parts from a 1984 daytona, but its still a good platform for a performance car. this also reflects on my second point, more often then not, its cheaper to make a domestic faster ;)

now were i JUST buying a daily driver, i probably would try to snag a corolla, or accord, but since this is a forum for car enthusiasts, i figure its worth bringing up performance arguments.

as per the OP's topic choice, why not choose a stance on how valid hybrid cars really are in the north american society? much more interesting topic IMO

zoik
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
you need to limit the scope of this topic. there's advantages and disadvantages to both, but when a person goes out to buy a car they have certain criteria, like price or fuel economy or performance, daily driver, etc. limit your scope first and you'll get the opinions that you want

zieg
05-18-2007, 08:33 AM
http://www.mobilewhack.com/2007-GeigerCars-Ford-Mustang-GT-520-Front-Angle-2.jpg

http://cars.bayaw.com/pictures/2006HondaCivicSi1.jpg

I know which I'd rather have. :P

Ok ok, that's unfair as hell. Just a comment on what people usually thing about when they think about an import or a domestic.

As long as it makes big power, isn't FF, doesn't weigh 6000 lbs and has lots of room for upgrading it's fine by me.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone say anything about resale value of an import vs. domestic. It's definitely a better investment to get a Corolla over a Cobalt.

Toms-SC
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
whatever does not have a fart can > fart canned car

SilverGS
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Most people I know have the following opionions or observations:

On average domestics tend to have more power and more torque then a comparable import counterpart
On average import will be a better handling vehicle then a domestic
Imports cost more on average then a domestic but also hold its value better
Imports have a better reputation for reliability, yeah there are lots of people who may say otherwise but outside of Mazda each of my families 9 imports (over a couple families) are all still going strong and some are 15+ years with over 400k on them.
Imports tend to have a better stock design then domestics. Don't get me wrong there are quite a few great looking domestics but overall imports seem to look better then domestics stock. I must say though American companies seem to be really working on this.. there are more and more decent looking domestics out there these days

I don't have stats or anything to back these statements up. They are just general opionions and observations that a lot of people tend to have.

ScottysZ
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
EDIT: A former Ford CEO once admitted:

"Out of every 100 cars we build, 10 are going to be as good as anything built by Honda or Toyota. Another 10 would be ok, while the rest will have ongoing problems."

That's a good way to look at domestics.

Ummm no, thats not what he said. He said that 10 would be as good as anything japan ever made, 80 would be average, and 10 would cause repeated problems.

But in case you havent been paying attention, that gap has shrunk considerably in the last 10 years, look at toyota last year and all their problems. When productivity goes up its pretty damn tough to continue the same levels of quality controls as they once had.

Ive got nothing against impports, i just cant stand the people that rip on domestic cars as shit. I wont even get into the performance side of the whole debate.

IncredibleToad
05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
sorry everyone I probably should have been more specific, I was going to go more into why someone should look into purchasing a foreign brand such as japanese/european as opposed to domestic brands like GM etc. Along the lines of what "zoik" said

I'm not out to bash domestics but for the project I have to take a side and I just chose to support and push for 'import' brands.

and thanks for the idea finboy I might actually change the topic to pushing for and supporting more use of hybrid vehicles and vehicles using alternative fuel sources

thanks everyone

arian_ma
05-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey! Tony! Get back to work you jackass.

Your project really needs to have only a couple of lines in it.

Intro: My name is IncredibleToad and I am a Honda fanboy along with arian_ma
And THAT's why imports are better than domestics.

But really, it depends on why you are buying a car.

If I was buying a winter beater, I'd pick a 1998 Neon over a 1991 Integra ANY day. Mostly because it is cheaper* and newer, can't lose there. If I want to buy a used middle class sports car for 20K or more, I would never look at any domestics because there are some great import choices out there in that price range.
Even higher range of about 40-50k, still imports, because the quality of the car you get is much greater and I can't, off the top of my head, think of any domestic sports cars in that price range anyways.
For 80-90k sports car, Corvette. That's all.
For the same money, family car, it will be a German import.

It's really relative on what your aims are with the car and what price range (and age) you're at.

* - maybe that direct comparison isn't cheaper, but in general, for the money of a 1991 integra, you can buy many newer domestics.

403Gemini
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

On average domestics tend to have more power and more torque then a comparable import counterpart
Imports have a better reputation for reliability, yeah there are lots of people who may say otherwise but outside of Mazda each of my families 9 imports (over a couple families) are all still going strong and some are 15+ years with over 400k on them.
Imports tend to have a better stock design then domestics. Don't get me wrong there are quite a few great looking domestics but overall imports seem to look better then domestics stock. I must say though American companies seem to be really working on this.. there are more and more decent looking domestics out there these days

I don't have stats or anything to back these statements up. They are just general opionions and observations that a lot of people tend to have.

I'd probably say this is a fair, openminded assessment :D

topmade
05-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

This is a good statement. I personally think the quality are pretty comparable now, but the stereotypes about domestics breaking down all the time are still there and people are still afraid to buy them because of that. I would have no problems buying either if the price was right, but I will admit I'm a import fan and would lean to that side if I were to chose. But one thing I hate about imports, especially honda/acura is that they start turning into rust buckets when they hit the ~10yr mark. I'm the original owner of my 94 civic and it runs like a champ, but the rust spots "we're" an eye sore before I fixed them.

01RedDX
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM

403Gemini
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by topmade

This is a good statement. I personally think the quality are pretty comparable now, but the stereotypes about domestics breaking down all the time are still there and people are still afraid to buy them because of that. I would have no problems buying either if the price was right, but I will admit I'm a import fan and would lean to that side if I were to chose. But one thing I hate about imports, especially honda/acura is that they start turning into rust buckets when they hit the ~10yr mark. I'm the original owner of my 94 civic and it runs like a champ, but the rust spots "we're" an eye sore before I fixed them.

I'd probably say in the last 5-10 years domestics have stepped it up in the reliability market. But there is without a doubt, a better fit and finish build quality that imports have that domestics are lacking. Albeit the domestic markets is catching up...(slowly)

Zephyr
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
http://www.mobilewhack.com/2007-GeigerCars-Ford-Mustang-GT-520-Front-Angle-2.jpg

Ok ok, that's unfair as hell. Just a comment on what people usually thing about when they think about an import or a domestic.

As long as it makes big power, isn't FF, doesn't weigh 6000 lbs and has lots of room for upgrading it's fine by me.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone say anything about resale value of an import vs. domestic. It's definitely a better investment to get a Corolla over a Cobalt.

Civic :thumbsup: because gas is freaking expensive.

Eleanor
05-18-2007, 03:45 PM
^bingo somebody nailed the biggest difference right now. Fuel economy. The imports are right now generally more fuel efficient. And why all the mazda hate? My parents have two, a 91 MPV and a 92 protege and they're both 300k+ and literally zero major problems.

ScottysZ
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Civic :thumbsup: because gas is freaking expensive.

Ya but the stang drops panties so think of all the money youd save on hookers.

:D

Canmorite
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ

So with a Civic I'd say money on gas AND antibiotics.

Anyway, Toyota just became the world's largest car manufacturer. Look at that and historical (~5yr) stock performance of Toyota (TM), GM (GM) and Ford (F).

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
^bingo somebody nailed the biggest difference right now. Fuel economy. The imports are right now generally more fuel efficient. And why all the mazda hate? My parents have two, a 91 MPV and a 92 protege and they're both 300k+ and literally zero major problems.

Because mazda's reliability did drop for a while when ford bought into the company in 93/94 IIRC... look at the Mazda 3, then the focus, and see how many similarities you can see... Not saying it's a bad thing, but mazda sort of lost it for a while there.

This is all crap I've heard from mazda fanboys, I know nothing of mazda's history and refute all claims to start shit...

PS: Go honda :love:

silver_gs-R
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

I love how you put that, and I also dont see too many, actually probably not even one domestic that makes a 100 hp per litre, wow doesnt almost every Honda Performance Motor make that and still gets over 500k to the tank.

Schwa
05-22-2007, 10:48 PM
oh boy, the Hp/L argument. What import vs domestic thread doesn't have this??

*gets popcorn*

Eleanor
05-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Lol good old HP/L. And fuel efficiency argument too. If you want to go fast, you shouldn't give 2 shits about fuel efficiency.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R

I love how you put that, and I also dont see too many, actually probably not even one domestic that makes a 100 hp per litre, wow doesnt almost every Honda Performance Motor make that and still gets over 500k to the tank.

Congratulations on bringing up HP/L and thereby declaring yourself a homosexual troglodyte.

Good fucking god, I thought we'd killed off the notion that HP/L is somehow a meaningful statistic. I guess not.

stevo 27
05-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by ScottysZ

HAHAHA byfar the most useful info for your project my man

but this thread is going nowere jory summed everything up
perfectly all about prefrence pros and cons for both :thumbsup:

*cough cough Toyota is God :D