PDA

View Full Version : Buying Gas from "Gas Plus" and others

bennyhanna
05-19-2007, 08:41 AM
So with the price of gas getting higher and higher, Ive been looking at

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/
like most of you.

I see that places like "Gas Plus" are usally 15 -20 cents cheaper than the Big stations.

Any thoughts about their quality of gas or reasons why they are so much cheaper?

Rx7
05-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I used to buy from Centex when I went to SAIT, havent had a problem with their gas

BlueFrenzy
05-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd be suspicious of gas Gas Plus and other such brands. Usually they buy the lowest grade gas from the supplier that will barely meet the 87octane rating. Now if your car can handle it without knocking/pre-detonating then you can probably get by, but if it starts making funny noises ... bite the bullet and buy the more expensive gas.

I was just looking at the site and the cheapest Gas Plus is listed at 106.9 and the cheapest Esso/Husky is listed at 112.4. That's not that much more. If you assume you fill your tank with 50L, you're only spending a whopping $2.75.

cityhunter2501
05-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Rx7
I used to buy from Centex when I went to SAIT, havent had a problem with their gas

Ive heard about centrex near sait, but cant figure out where is it.
where is it at and does it have premium?

jhmed
05-19-2007, 03:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken there's one on Center just north of 16th.

I think there's also one on 16th, west of SAIT across from that mall... but I haven't been to that area of town in almost a year...

Maxt
05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
If I can run 23 psi boost on a 9:1 rotary without sending the motor out the tailpipe on Centex premium, the rest of you should have nothing to worry about..

dizzle
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

Ive heard about centrex near sait, but cant figure out where is it.
where is it at and does it have premium?
it's next to home depot on 16th.

483hp
05-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Back when I was a student my first car was a brand new Integra. I bought that Gas Plus garbage religiously (and premium grade too). After 50,000km the engine didn't sound too happy. Never bought it again. Only Tier 1 gas stations now.

katana9x4
05-19-2007, 05:44 PM
I've heard that they buy the bottom of the barrel stuff so to speak, and then sell it for cheaper.

Speed_69
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I've bought gas from Centex twice when i was in edmonton because that was the closest gas station and I can say i would probably never buy from them again. Yes their gas prices are cheaper but i found the gas mileage to be complete crap and it's more worth it to buy gas from more reputable places.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Centex is great, if you're filling up your lawnmower. Further than that, I'd be wary.

2BLUE
05-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I was there today on 16ave and there was a viper filling up. I have ran there gas and never had a problem...and having several seadoos you would know if there was bad gas and never a problem.

ibuddler
06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
I've heard from ppl from calgarygasprices.com say that "Gas plus" using shell's. How about Canadian Tire or Co-op?

Ferio_vti
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Discount gas stores just buy gas from the major brands and sell it for less, end of story.
What you're usually pay more for at brand name stations is their additives.

No such thing as 'low grade' or 'watered down' gasoline.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2007-06-13-bad-gas-usat_N.htm

ibuddler
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Discount gas stores just buy gas from the major brands and sell it for less, end of story.

I don't know this but when I filled with PetroCanada, I found my car ran more powerful then with Coop. (same grade)

redline
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ibuddler

I don't know this but when I filled with PetroCanada, I found my car ran more powerful then with Coop. (same grade)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

revelations
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
All claims about "cheap crap" gas performance are subject to a Dyno test.
Urban myths are a-plenty about these stations.

Note that premium fuel in ground tanks tend to sit around a lot longer than 87 octane fuel does so it has a chance to accumulate more garbage inside the tank (water, sediment, etc.) which can have detrimental effect on your engine performance.... fuel filters cant remove water very well.

This affects ALL gas stations, not just the cheap ones.

The post about the additives is correct, Petro Can for eg, has a winter formulation.

ExtraSlow
06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
These off-brand gas stations are just buying from whatever bulk supplier is cheapest that week, so you are probably getting different additives every time you fill up.

I use them, and will continue to do so.

Ferio_vti
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Note that premium fuel in ground tanks tend to sit around a lot longer than 87 octane fuel does so it has a chance to accumulate more garbage inside the tank (water, sediment, etc.) which can have detrimental effect on your engine performance.... fuel filters cant remove water very well.

This affects ALL gas stations, not just the cheap ones.

Interesting, you have a link for more info on this? Does Premium sit around more just cuz less people fill up on it?? What about midgrade?? The same, if not worse, since there's hardly and cars that even recommend using midgrade.

Thaco
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
if their gas was shitty, they'd be out of business, Canada has very strict rules for gas refining and stuff.

TYMSMNY
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Interesting, you have a link for more info on this? Does Premium sit around more just cuz less people fill up on it?? What about midgrade?? The same, if not worse, since there's hardly and cars that even recommend using midgrade.

midgrade is a blend that they mix at the pumps... between 87 and 91 iirc.

rc2002
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
if their gas was shitty, they'd be out of business, Canada has very strict rules for gas refining and stuff.

Strict rules without enforcement doesn't mean anything.

Gibson
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I have a friend that started filling up at Superstore (because it opened up right next to our school) and he says that he gets terrible gas mileage now. But that isn't even a discount gas station.

revelations
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Its just common sense kinda thing, you could ask a manager of a station about this, im sure its not hard to figure out.

The reason I know this happens is because in Vancouver, the motorcycling community was aware of several specific locations of name-brand gas stations that had a history of BAD premium fuel contamination - bike ran like shit.

Its also a fact that Premium fuel contains more stabilizing agents than regular because it sits around longer in the tanks - id find a link but my lunch is short.

So the story is, you can find crap gas ANYWHERE.... not just at no-name places.

TYMSMNY
06-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
I have a friend that started filling up at Superstore (because it opened up right next to our school) and he says that he gets terrible gas mileage now. But that isn't even a discount gas station.

Superstore/Safeway/CDN Tire = "discount" gas stores. How many cents do you get back? like 15?

benyl
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Superbucks at Superstore FTMFW!

Daan
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
i use the neighborhood APu and his ricsah for locomotion
http://bp2.blogger.com/_yBI6p7DBaxI/Ra49qVWlvcI/AAAAAAAAAQw/82lgUq87_zo/s400/ricsa+adormita.JPG

finboy
06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
i just fill up wherever is closest :dunno:

n1zm0
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
i heard these gas places (Fast Gas/Racetrack Gas/Domo/Gas Plus etc) buy the bottom of the silo type of leftover gas off refineries. the last place i would probably fill up for just 87 regular would be safeway/coop/superstore gas stations.. but then again who knows where they get their stuff from :dunno:

shell only for me, i'm not baller enough for that husky 94 :(

D. Dub
06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
The BIG downside to a lot of the cheapo gas places is that they are older stations/ locations and that mean's the risk of underground tanks that are full of sediment and shit that could get into your fuel system.

They are also less likely to maintain their pumps and filters and that also means the chance of more gunk in your car.

demosticgarbage
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
i feel up at tiro on hubalta rd se. premium is 10 cents cheaper then other gas stations. no its not "shitty" gas its fine

rage2
06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Strict rules without enforcement doesn't mean anything.
What are you talking about? I figured out that Esso's 92 wasn't really 92 (91 Shell had higher knock resistance), complained, and a few months later they had to relabel all their pumps to 91. Esso's still labelled as 91 today.

Mixalot27
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

Every time I get gas at Superstore in Shawnessy, my vehicle seems to idle very rough and almost wants to stall occasionally. When I get gas anywhere else I don't have this problem. I also feel like I get worse gas mileage from the Superstore gas but I've never actually calculated it out so I might just be imagining it, not sure.

whiskas
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I would get bad pinging at high RPM's on esso premium. Mohawk premium works well if I drive like a granny, and Husky 94 is all I can use on the track.

I pretty much stick to husky/mohawk now.

alloroc
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
When i ws in high school (this was a looong time ago) I worked at Co-op.

The truck that came in to us also filled petrocan and esso, and picked up his gas at the shell gas depot on barlow, I really don't think it matters much, unless to go to the places that may have blended fuel like mowhawk.

Jayson
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
The only reason why Gas Plus is so cheap downtown, is cause there is no one manning the station... it's completely self serve

Ferio_vti
06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

The truck that came in to us also filled petrocan and esso, and picked up his gas at the shell gas depot on barlow, I really don't think it matters much, unless to go to the places that may have blended fuel like mowhawk.

So you're telling us that discount gas stations AREN'T supplied by an old wood panel station wagon carrying drums of gasoline?? That's good to know.

88CRX
06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Jayson
The only reason why Gas Plus is so cheap downtown, is cause there is no one manning the station... it's completely self serve

That could be the most ghetto gas station ever.... we used to go in there and grab a pop or a snack and the dude running it would just randomly through out a price. One day your pop would be $1.77 and the next day it would be $2.10. You'd pay him and he'd reach in his pocket and start picking through his change counting out pennies and nickles and shit.... needless to say we stopped going there :rofl: ghetto!

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Living out in Langdon, there's a "Royal Gas" that's locally owned. I pay 132.5 for premium right now out there, I love it. I can get my premium cheaper than regular, and the only downside is they don't have pay at the pump. I notice no difference in performance or mileage from shell, esso, husky, or any other brand name gas.

TYMSMNY
06-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

There are only a few major gasoline trucking companies around town... so most of them will have identical trucks offloading gasoline. Aren't those tankers compartmentalized?

Moe Man
06-24-2008, 09:57 AM

the only member that knows what the hell he is talking about.

stop replying with words like " i think" " i heard " " my dads friends mother in law said"

go get real evidence then come back to the thread, not "hear-say" evidence.

BTW: i have been using gas plus for years in my S/C stang and dont have any issues. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
06-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

BTW: i have been using gas plus for years in my S/C stang and dont have any issues. :dunno:

Well, except for driving a S/C stang........ :eek:

(jokes, I really like that car!)

ibuddler
06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I've got the reply from GasPlus manager. Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 9:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Why your gas is so much cheaper

So with the price of gas getting higher and higher, Ive been looking at
http://www.calgarygasprices.com/

I found that "Gas Plus" are usally 15 -20 cents cheaper than the Big
stations.

Any thoughts about the quality of gas or reasons why you are so much
cheaper?

Thanks,

----------------------His Reply-------------------------------------------

Hello XXX:

Our main marketing plan is to attract customers by using deep discounts at
the pump. We do not have the resources or the cross marketing ability to
use complex marketing schemes to attract customers like the majors and/or
grocery chains. We are an independently owned company and have mainly
smaller service station outlets that do not have the glamour appeal of the
majors. Our method of competing is to give the customer the discount
directly back at time of purchase.

As for our quality of gasoline, let me explain briefly how petroluem
products are secured in Southern Alberta. There are only refineries in
Edmonton and all petroleum products are sent through a shared pipe line to
Calgary. In Calgary, there are only two transfer terminals located just
off of Barlow about a mile south of Glenmore Trail, and all service
stations pickup petroleum products at these terminals. All fuels in
Calgary come from the common pipeline and are of the same identical qual
ity. If you buy from Esso, Husky, or Peto-Can...you get the same fuel...
We purchase our fuel from Esso, Shell, Husky, and Petro-Can...hence I can
assure you that our fuel has the same quality of all others.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Thank you

Brad Handel
GM
Gas Plus Inc.

Ferio_vti
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ibuddler

As for our quality of gasoline, let me explain briefly how petroluem
products are secured in Southern Alberta. There are only refineries in
Edmonton and all petroleum products are sent through a shared pipe line to
Calgary. In Calgary, there are only two transfer terminals located just
off of Barlow about a mile south of Glenmore Trail, and all service
stations pickup petroleum products at these terminals. All fuels in
Calgary come from the common pipeline and are of the same identical qual
ity. If you buy from Esso, Husky, or Peto-Can...you get the same fuel...
We purchase our fuel from Esso, Shell, Husky, and Petro-Can...hence I can
assure you that our fuel has the same quality of all others.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Thank you

Brad Handel
GM
Gas Plus Inc.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/screenshots/9f14/9f14_044.jpg

TYMSMNY
06-24-2008, 11:57 AM
So what about the additives? they get mixed in somewhere/onsite? I know Petro has "winter gas" and shell has that other one (don't remember name)

edit: also just remembered about gasoline companies being a "Top Tier brand" which means that they have lots of detergent in their fuel. Shell is a Top Tier Brand... they have commercials going right now for gunk buildup.

sjaswal
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
just to comment on higher grade gas sitting around in tanks

The premium, mid grade tanks are usually smaller since they don't sell as much as regular (87). The fuel most likely cycles through just as fast as regular (87) unless the station isn't very busy.

Jay911
06-26-2008, 12:24 AM
From someone who has family that makes a living building loading racks for tanker trucks and etc:

When Shell says they have x, y, and z in their fuels and PetroCanada says they put detergents a, b, and c in, if it's not exactly the same thing as the other guy's, it's blended at the loading rack. I have relatives whose livelihood is dependent on selling and installing meters which not only read how much gas has been loaded on the truck, but helps meter in/control how much of substance so-and-so is added on delivery.

And the comment about midgrade is spot-on.. 99% of stations that have a midgrade are just pumping half a liter of regular and half a liter of super for every liter the gas pump ticks off. There just isn't enough market for "real" 89 for anyone to spend great gobs of $$$ having a third tank in the ground holding it.

Also - for those who say the concept of low grade gas is a myth .. that may be true in terms of stations that operate here.. but were you to have access to Mexican and Venezuelan product, you wouldn't even want to run your mower with it. Imagine octane levels in the low 70s to high 60s.

Numi
06-26-2008, 01:07 AM
my dad delivers fuel.

the gas that goes to those stations dont have near the additives that petro or shell or big stations do. its basically shit gas.

all gas comes out of ether shell or esso and is mixed when put into trailers.

benyl
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Numi
my dad delivers fuel.

the gas that goes to those stations dont have near the additives that petro or shell or big stations do. its basically shit gas.

all gas comes out of ether shell or esso and is mixed when put into trailers.

That makes no sense.

So you are saying that without the additives, gas at any of the top tier places is shit gas?

Additives are mostly detergents and ethanol for husky gas. Otherwise, gas is gas.