PDA

View Full Version : Importing a US replica car (Beck Speedster)

Celica TVS3
05-19-2007, 06:11 PM
My mom is looking to buy a newly built Beck Speedster (Completed Porsche 356 Speedster Replica) from the states. Does anyone have any experience importing a kit car like this? or know of a website with more information?

Thanks,
Aaron

962 kid
05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
talk to concept 1, they should be able to help you out

2EFNFAST
05-20-2007, 12:10 AM
You can't import a replica car unless it's 15+ yrs old (not the make of the car, but the kit itself is over 15 years old)

You are only allowed to bring in kits, in kit form, as long as they're (this is mroe or less btw) less than 50% of the complete car (e.g., no drivetrain, etc...)

You CAN NOT import a complete replica car (again, unless it was built over 15 years ago)

If you do find a way to bring it up here (E.g., have friend drive it up then sell it to you up here), and you do find a way to get it registered, if you're ever pulled over DOT will seize the vehicle and destroy it at your expense.

AllGoNoShow
05-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Get whoever completed it to split it into 3 shipments, body, frame, engine, send a few weeks apart, reassemble at home, register, have fun.

2EFNFAST
05-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Get whoever completed it to split it into 3 shipments, body, frame, engine, send a few weeks apart, reassemble at home, register, have fun.

Superperformance tried for that a little while (they would import into Canada in 2-3 crates, then claim they billed you up here for an 'assembly' fee to put it together)

Then got sued by the DOT

Now they can't import into Canada

99.9% of businesses out there arn't going to try to screw around with customs just to have a few more customers.

People far smarter than you and I combined have tried to get replicas up here every which way possible. The end result is always the same - either follow the rules (which arn't that hard...I've dealt with SPF/FF Cobras and Ultima GTRs) or get prepared to bend over for Uncle Beaver.

AllGoNoShow
05-20-2007, 01:50 AM
I know of 2 kit cars in Calgary that have been crated in 3 pieces and are still on the road legally.

rockym20
05-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Ya, you have to classify them as "car parts" or something like that when you go through customs. This is the only way you can import them.

2EFNFAST
05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I know of 2 kit cars in Calgary that have been crated in 3 pieces and are still on the road legally.

Very good; now do you know the details of them?

e.g., what specific parts came in, when they were brought in, etc....

Making a broad statement 'I know of 2 kit cars in Calgary that came in 3 pieces so you can import anything you want' is pretty silly.

edit: Not to mention the fact that there are many Canadian-built specific kit cars. For example a Lotus Super 7 is built somewhere around red deer. If you saw a cobra replica, would you know with a 5second glance that it is either a Factory Five, Superperformance, Streetbeast, D&D, Sumo, etc....., and thus know if it were bought up here or imported?

Celica TVS3
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys. She'll get in touch with them next week I was just hoping to get an idea of the issues surrounding importing one.

Incase anyone is interested they do offer a semi-complete kit that includes a painted body with hung doors, fitted interior, and fully wired. But it's missing tires, suspension and transaxles & the engine.

Would you guys know of a reputable local company that would specialize in putting the peices together when it arrives?

Toms-SC
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Makes it really hard when you want to get a Lotus 7 :(

Annoyingrob
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
There's a guy here in Calgary (I think it was calgary, it IS in canada atleast) that bought an MR2 Spyder in the USA, took it appart, and built it here. There's a thread on it somewhere. It's orange.

rage2
05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Not only do you have to separate it into 2 or 3 pieces/shipments, you have to prove that each of the 2/3 batch of parts are from different suppliers. That's one of the requirements.

2EFNFAST
05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3
Thanks for the help guys. She'll get in touch with them next week I was just hoping to get an idea of the issues surrounding importing one.

Incase anyone is interested they do offer a semi-complete kit that includes a painted body with hung doors, fitted interior, and fully wired. But it's missing tires, suspension and transaxles & the engine.

Would you guys know of a reputable local company that would specialize in putting the peices together when it arrives?

Good luck; post back as I import these hobbies and always like to hear about others experiences :thumbsup:

One important thing too make sure is that the company is reputable and builds a solid kit. A lot of manufacturers (e.g., SB, Sumo, etc..) are really complete jokes when it comes to both the quality of the kit and the parts used. The last thing you want is to drop a lot of money and find out it's well below your expectations - if you read online about problems with them, then expect them - don't bury your head in the sand and hope you'll be different.

Toms-SC
05-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
There's a guy here in Calgary (I think it was calgary, it IS in canada atleast) that bought an MR2 Spyder in the USA, took it appart, and built it here. There's a thread on it somewhere. It's orange.

WAR