max_boost
05-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Blink Supper Club
111 8 Avenue SW, located on Stephen Ave

Food - 3/10
Ambiance - 8/10
Service - 2/10
Value - 7/10
Our bill came to $240. XX, we had 4 entrées, 5 drinks, 1 virgin ceasar, tip and tax incl.

Went there tonight with my gf and some friends for a birthday. I had looked at some reviews before going and all were negative. I thought I'd give them a try regardless. Turns out, one should really trust the reviews if there is a copious amount of them complaining about the tasteless food and poor service. That is exactly what we received.

:thumbsdow

First off, the atmosphere is quite nice, young, trendy, there was a dj on scene. The music selection was great, although loud but that was to be expected given the vibe that Blink wanted to convey. The décor was nice, clean and simple, upscale and modern. My only complaint is that it was quite dark and all members in our party had difficulty with seeing the menu.

Our server took awhile to get our drink order. She was brisk and unfriendly. It took her even longer to return with our drink order and then to take our food order. Again, we felt hurried it seemed like she was annoyed. During the meal, she never came to check on us. She did clean our plates when we were done. We ordered additional drinks throughout the evening and for every one we literally had to yell her down as she speed walked by our table.

I had the steak with scallops and shrimp, while my gf ordered a seafood linguine. I asked for my steak to be done medium-rare, it came back correctly cooked, however the meat was tough. I was not given a steak knife, I had only the butter knife used for my bread, which made cutting the tough steak an arduous task. The pasta in my gf's dish was overcooked, making it difficult for her to eat as it would not stay on a fork, and a spoon was nowhere to be found. The shrimps and scallops were over-cooked and tasteless. Again, the lack of necessary cutlery only compounded the disappointment in these two dishes.

Upon presentation of the bill, it was noted that 18% gratuity was added to the total. We were a party of 5. I don't know how it usually works, I assumed that it was for parties of 8-10 or more that the gratuity would be added. Regardless, for such poor service it was mutually decided by my dining party that our server was undeserving of such a tip. Those that know me, know that I usually will over tip and that it takes a lot for me to tip less than the industry standard. We have no intention of returning to this place so we thought that the server merited 11% and left.

That being said, word of caution. The reviews that can be googled for this restaurant are pretty much on target.

:thumbsdow

Si_FlyGuy
05-20-2007, 07:03 AM
I think that your 11% is too generous.

pinoyhero
05-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the review, i'll be skipping it.

adamc
05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
well the place is relatively new, so maybe in a few months time they'll have worked out the kinks, and canned the shitty staff.

doesn't look too promising right now, I _might_ drop in and have a drink

rm777
05-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Are the staff good looking people generally? The reason I ask is that I am finding that more new places are sacrificing service for eye candy. Absolutely ridiculous. For myself, this is very embarrassing because I have been in the industry a long time. It should be about service, not about your physical appearance. I have heard nothing but bad things about Blink. Doesn't surprise me considering the owner has no experience running a restaurant, just clubs. Two very different aspects of the business.

crazydriver
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Blink.. food was horrible, me and my co-workers went there for lunch, most of our dishes were cold and poorly done. Not to mention the menu items were a bit more pricey compared to the competition down the street. I do not recommend.

redline
05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I have eaten there three times for lunch and have had good food and service :dunno:

I ate at Belvedere last week and that place was terrible...

Euro_Trash
05-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I think that your 11% is too generous.

:werd:

bigboom
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Just had lunch there last week and wanted to reiterate that this restaurant is garbage and that I would never reccomend anyone going to it.

gkAeris
12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
so i just come back from lunch at blink, i had read reviews but thougth i'll give it a try....

Food - 1/10
Ambiance - 9/10
Service - 7/10
Value - 3/10

For our party of 4 the food cost us $136.XX

while the service was ok, the food was not, i'm into good food and always willign to pay for the good food.

i started with a carrot soup puree $9.00, it was cold (no this isn't a "chilled version of soup it was supposed to be hot) and tasteless, other than the color orange i wouldn't really have guessed it to be carrot....my co workers mushroom soup tasted ok, but like they got better mushroom soup at tim hortons hahaah

so we go into the mains...i got a risotto pawn, my faviourtie, or so i thought i had about 3 bites of my cold entree and offered it to my co workers it was cold, tasteless and well gross, the portion was SMALL, the guys ate all there entree (someone had a pasta which was probably the size of a campbells soup can) it was cold, the other guy ordered a artic char again cold and very underwhelming,

the only good thing was the french bread, i was still very hungry leaving the place, my wallet was very unhappy too...we all were going to walk to buy a slice of pizza...

bascially

small portions, everythings cold????, everything is tasteless..
oh but the womens washroom is nice so is the venue, very spacey haha

much better resturnats to eat at.

GQBalla
12-04-2008, 03:01 PM
ill be sure to avoid this palce

89coupe
12-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I love Blink, great service, great food. I've only done lunch though, maybe the dinner service is lacking.

Too bad for you.

You should try Escoba's on 8th, awesome food, awesome service.:thumbsup:

CaptainReboot
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I've done lunch there. One of the times I went, they had mini burgers for lunch which were really good.

Then we came back the menu was all different, and things were a lot pricey. I asked about it and they said they changed executives chefs or something, and decided to change the food style.

That lunch wasn't great and got pricer, and I haven't been back since.

Isaiah
12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I love Blink, great service, great food. I've only done lunch though, maybe the dinner service is lacking.

:rofl:

OMG. Classic.

nonlinear
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
hrm, it's weird cause there seem to be favorable reviews on chowhound (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/578480) and check out this review: http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2008/12/06/calgary-blink-still-good