PDA

View Full Version : Question about GPS software (GARMIN STREETPILOT)

Weapon_R
05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm looking at picking up a standalone GPS navigation system. I like the garmin streetpilot series but im wondering how well they work in Canada.

Does anyone know how well MapSource City Select North America works V7 in Calgary? Garmin also has "Garmin Mapsource Metroguide Canada" and "Garmin Mapsource TOPO Canada" available for purchase.

Do I need to buy all of this software? If not, which would be the best to find directions right down to the street level?

CappyMcSlappy
05-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know about the garmin series, but the maps that TomTom is running for North America are very new and free with either the 910, 510, or ONE if you get it before the middle of next month - I would look into that. The TomTom's use TeleAtlas which is known for being very good.

ZorroAMG
05-21-2007, 05:29 AM
I have the garmin Nuvi 350..use it at least 2-3 times a week in Vancouver. GREAT unit, using it in Vegas right now.

Garmin mapping is the best in the consumer GPS business, undisputed.

Tom tom pales in comparison with useability, mapping and size...it is wAYYY too bulky.

bignerd
05-21-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree, borrowed a Garmin from a friend who flies helicopters-no idea what model it was-(something fancy for when he is flying) for a drive to Seattle, it was awesome, never got lost and it always picks the shortest route.

Maps were great, detailed and up to date, Garmin screen was huge and no bigger than a blackberry I would say.

The only thing I did notice was that sometimes you would search for a certain type of store on it, for example a drugstore, and you would get the closest location and drive there and the store would be out of business and re-opened as something else... we had a couple of those happen to us.

483hp
05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
The Garmin's are excellent. I have a Nuvi 660 and it is a great nav unit. It runs on batteries as well so you can take it with you while on foot.

There are only two sources for map data and everybody who makes nav units licenses them. The map data in Canada is very good from either. Garmin uses NavTEQ BTW. So does Google maps.

I would suggest going to GPSCentral.ca here in town. The staff is very knowledgable and they have a lot of models out on display for you to try out.

The live traffic feature is very handy, but unfortunately, no data in Canada. However extremely useful in US cities to avoid accidents and traffic jams.

barbarian
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
The traffic data is available via XM radio in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, but nowhere else. FM Radio isn't available at all for it in Canada.

The data's available, just no one is providing it over the air: http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=allAdvisories&area=calgary&TextOnly=
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_766_234_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Solutions/Intelligent+Transportation+Systems/ITS+in+Calgary+/RWIS+Summary.htm

max_boost
05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I have the garmin Nuvi 350..use it at least 2-3 times a week in Vancouver. GREAT unit, using it in Vegas right now.

Garmin mapping is the best in the consumer GPS business, undisputed.

Tom tom pales in comparison with useability, mapping and size...it is wAYYY too bulky. Yeah I've had my Nuvi 350 for a year now and it works great. Used it for my trip to Vegas & LA last year and will be using it for my summer trip to TO and NYC. It works great in our city too as my family and employees use it for deliveries and such.

There are some newer areas of the city that isn't on the map yet but I believe I can get updates via their website. Just have to find a UBS cable and upload the data when I get a chance.

HRD2PLZ
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 also. I LOVE it. I brought it with me on my trip to Vancouver and Seattle and it works great. Super easy to use, great for finding the hotels and restaurants too. I am actually almost regretting having ordered navigation in my new car, I am hoping its half as good as my Garmin!

I would also recommend going to gps central. That's where I picked up my unit.

Lex350
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago in LA. So far, it seems to be working quite nice. The map updates are free on the internet.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/507/mrm2200tfrontrz6.jpg

DepTrotter
05-22-2007, 04:59 PM
i use MapSource City Select North America and it is a very great program. the main problem i have is losing satellite signal. You'll have to look back for updates periodically as there are always changes on the roads. Sometimes the bitches voice gets annoying... but ill tell ya, this thing has helped me out immensely!... One thing you have to look out for is that sometimes it'll out of nowhere say you are off route, but then recalculate within a couple minutes... Maybe its just my unit, but the software is really good for POI. When travelling, you can enter in what type of food you are looking for and it'll direct you to the closest restaurant

NEAT

blinkme_210
05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
The GPS software usually calculates the route that is the shortest distance to a point, it doesn't take traffic congestion into account of course. Also, the routes don't necessarily follow freeways or main roads. Sometimes it's really stupid and makes you go off the freeway into neighborhood roads only to take you right back onto the freeway you got off.

I was using my Nuvi 360 in Calgary on the long weekend, and there were a few times when the software would go apeshit and yell out "Left turn" or "U-Turn" even though I was following the path it had set out.

Tip: Type in the postal code of where you are going for the greatest accuracy down to the last meter.

blinkme_210
05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
There are some newer areas of the city that isn't on the map yet but I believe I can get updates via their website. Just have to find a UBS cable and upload the data when I get a chance.

They aren't for free, most map updates are $150USD+.

CappyMcSlappy
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
"Tom tom pales in comparison with useability, mapping and size...it is wAYYY too bulky.'

I'm not sure what you mean by bulky - the TomTom ONE I use is really thin and not bulky at all and I've found it really easy to use. Also, PC World ranked the TomTom ONE #28 on their “Best 100 Products of 2007” list - I don't think any garmins made it on at all.