PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Bowflex VS Gym Membership

canadian_hustla
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey guys,

I need a bit of advice in regards to how I should start working out

I recently moved into a condo which is close to a gym, however I never really have the drive or discipline to actually go work out - hence the idea of buying a bowflex for where i live and forcing me to work out at home

I am looking to spend ~ 600-800 for either a used bowflex or start investing in a gym membership

what do you all think? thanks in advance

canadian_hustla
05-21-2007, 08:47 AM
your opinions are valuable to me, so please leave a post if you have/have a bowflex and were happy with it

cheers!

pinoyhero
05-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Git the membership man! You can make a few friens and that will help motivate you to get there. A Bowflex infront of a TV is a waste of time IMO.

REFLUX
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
however I never really have the drive or discipline to actually go work out

This is your main issue.
Doesn't matter if you have a bowflex, gym membership, personal trainer, etc.

If you got the bowflex, it'll gather dust.
If you got the gym membership, you won't go.

Find a way to motivate yourself to work out, once you have that, it doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have access you, you'll workout with whatever you have.

Heck, there are people who workout using BOOKS as weights.

They're doing it because they WANT to workout.

snowboard
05-21-2007, 10:43 AM
just try working out once
you will feel so good afterwards
it will be motivation enough

bigbadboss101
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Both have pro's and con's.

With Bowflex one can workout spontaneously, or in between tasks. I would love to have one if I had the space.

Gym is good because there are so many more other things to do, and machines to use. It gets you out of the house. There might be good scenary at the gym.

I would say go with the gym idea. If you have excess $, but the Bowflex too.

jdmXSI
05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Gym membership is my choice. If you really want to get in shape. There are always people at the gym that can give you advice on new work outs.

JAYMEZ
05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I say Gym! You have more eye and brain stimulation because of all the machines and people...

With the bow flex you get bored pretty damn fast!

GTS Jeff
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX

This is your main issue.
Doesn't matter if you have a bowflex, gym membership, personal trainer, etc.

If you got the bowflex, it'll gather dust.
If you got the gym membership, you won't go.

Find a way to motivate yourself to work out, once you have that, it doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have access you, you'll workout with whatever you have.

Heck, there are people who workout using BOOKS as weights.

They're doing it because they WANT to workout. :werd: :werd:

But ixnay on the books. Even a phonebook only weighs 10lbs tops. :rofl:

toyboy88
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Gym FTW.

Get a friend to workout with each week at least once same day, same time...then you're more inclined to "show up" at the gym because your friend is waiting for you too.

Euro838
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
+1 for getting a gym membership. In order to get the same equipment that you'd use and is available at the gym, you'll spend $2-3000. Yes, you can start off with $600-800 with a used bow flex, but over time, you may get more serious and you start spending for better solutions. Alternatively, if you can get a gym membership for about $30 per month, you'll get many years of maintenance free better equipment to use. I'm pretty sure you'll see better results by going 3 times a week to the gym. You only need to spend about an hour each time too!

Also, some memberships include classes which are also a good benefit.

Another thing about Bowflex and other rubber resistance equipment is that they don't feel as good as solid weights.

LuxCars
05-21-2007, 04:12 PM
As much as people say that "youll meet new friends" or "youll find people that will give you tips and advice on how to work out"
it wont happen, the only person that will do that for you is the gym staff, and that is only if you approach them. All the other people that go to the gym (and this is from experience and what i have noticed because i work there) is that people will always try and match you and then show off right infront of you. (well at least the younger generation)
they'll try and see how much weight your lifting and then pull out some heavier weights and lift right next to you, especially if your new at the scene.

Personally, i would go out and buy some free weights, start working out at home with them until you get a little definition, you'll quickly get bored at home and then get excited to wanna go to they gym and try all the other equipment, once you get there you'll enjoy the scene and get a good workout, you'll wake up sore and then love the feeling, which will keep you going. And on the days you cant go, use the free weights from home to do a quick lift. This way its not a huge waste of money for the weights and you still have access to everything else if you go to the gym.

but as stated above, you need to find that inner motivation first. take a picture of some fat blob and stick it on your bedroom wall.

SiR_lyfe
05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Well you do meet ppl, ive been going to the gym for about 6 years now, Ive probably met over 30 people that I still talk and work out with at times. Its just how you talk to people at the gym, its a different atmosphere to meet people. Its also good to have a buddy that is as dedicated as you.

I probably wouldnt work out if I bought dumbells at home, its just not my thing. But everyone is different. SOmetimes its good to go to a gym to pick up some routines and try out new equipment

LuxCars, its so true say you do 25 pounds ill do 30 pounds, guys are wierd like that, trying to show others up

canadian_hustla
05-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the responses folks,

a lot of very valuable data...

I am still pretty torn, but you guys are absolutely right about finding a group of people to work out with/friends/meeting people in order to get the discipline and getting into the routine.

20 votes for gym vs 5 votes for bowflex LOL

in any case, I will be doing one of those pretty quickly, i think the main decision will come down to convinence. I usually work late, so there is not a lot of time to come home cook dinner, and get ready for an early rise the next day

bowflex, although a cheap one is still a thought

no_joke
06-01-2007, 01:44 AM
From your posts, it seems like you're quite hesitant on venturing out to the gym. That's OK, it's not everyone's thing. You said don't really have the motivation or time to go even though the gym is close to home and you'd like to start working out. It's hard to write this and not sound like a prick (which I'm not trying to be!) but those are just excuses.

If you have no drive, then you'll just waste your money on the Bowflex. What I would suggest is that you buy some free weights and a Swiss ball (like other people have said) and look up some workout programs/routines that you can do. There are plenty of exercises you can do with just that. Then just work your way into it. Workout a couple times a week and develop an interest/drive, and go from there. At that point, you can decide on a membership or a home gym. FWIW, I voted for gym membership.

liquidboi69
06-01-2007, 02:16 AM
When I used bowflex..I thought it sucked alot. But I'm used to free weights so I don't know...feels kind of weird to me.

SiR_lyfe
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
if your going for a home gym style, get those dumbell(s) that you can change the weight from 20lbs to like 50-60lbs (im not too sure what they go up to) . pretty intense set up. I saw this commercial a few months ago