PDA

View Full Version : Robber carrying unloaded gun shot and killed by victim

barbarian
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070519/NEWS01/705190372

:clap:

Feel-good story of the day.

After the shooting, police questioned the 53-year-old man and released him, noting that he had a valid concealed weapons permit.

Then they gave him back his gun.

Hakkola
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
That would suck to find out the guy who you killed had an unloaded weapon, that said the dead guy deserved it.

barbarian
05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
That would suck to find out the guy who you killed had an unloaded weapon, that said the dead guy deserved it.
Well one of the dead guy's buddies was wielding a baseball bat too, so all-in-all it's a good shooting.

JRSC00LUDE
05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
The really sad thing is that he didn't shoot all 4 of them.....:thumbsdow

Ogpogo
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I wonder if the guy feels guilty shooting a "technically" unarmed 18 year old. Oh well, stupid kid deserved it from what it sounds like.

Toms-SC
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
This happened in the States, not Canada. Here in Canada the shooter would be charged with Man Slaughter.

barbarian
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
This happened in the States, not Canada. Here in Canada the shooter would be charged with Man Slaughter.
And people on forums would be accusing the shooter of murder.

Isaiah
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Having been to Detroit, the shooting makes that much more sense.

Canmorite
05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

:werd: Clean up some scum.

in*10*se
05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
where can i get a valid concealed weapons permit?

max_boost
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah no shit. 1 vs 4 and 1 of them is pointing a guy at you while the other 3 are holding baseball bats. LMAO. I would shoot those fuckers too. :rofl: Just waiting for the family to somehow play the race card on this one. haha

RaptorGJC
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
where can i get a valid concealed weapons permit?

Not in Canada IIRC No handguns either

Hakkola
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by RaptorGJC

Not in Canada IIRC No handguns either

From what I've heard if you have reason to believe your life is in danger, (if your a judge and you get death threats every day etc), you can get a permit to carry a weapon. I haven't read this for myself, a professor told me this. I won't quote it as truth but I think it might be.

Hakkola
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Evolution of Canada's gun laws- http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/GunControlLaws.html

1978-
Hand guns
RESTRICTED WEAPONS PERMIT

- 18 years

- no criminal record for indictable offense

- membership in gun club, collector or self protection

- no fee

- no renewal

- conveyance and carry permits

- registration of each gun

same as above

2003-

screening unchanged except proof must be provided of membership in good standing of gun club

- cost recovery fee

- renewed every five years

- ban on some handguns (see below)

- new training program

Looks like you can still own certain handguns under the premise of self-protection with a restricted weapons permit, (if you belong to a gun club?). Though I did not find anything on concealed weapons.

Confusing.

barbarian
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
You can spend about $400 to get the training and permits to get a handgun, but there are a lot of restrictions.

Here's a few:
- must be stored securely and separately from ammo, I think you might have to remove the firing pin too
- before you transport it anywhere, you have to inform the government. This includes taking it to the firing range. They want to make sure you're not going to stop at the bar on the way back and get wasted. This is much more restrictive than long guns. Also it must be stored in your trunk when you transport it, unloaded, and where the driver couldn't get it.
- max 10 rounds per magazine

There are some circumstances you can get a permit to carry, unconcealed and loaded:
- Armored car driver or security guard
- For wilderness carry if you work out in the bush, for animal protection

Apparently a few dozen people per province who aren't police or army also have ministerial permits to carry concealed.

DayGlow
05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I highly doubt it. It may bring about charges for improper storage of a firearm, but I have a feeling the crown wouldn't touch it.

ken-gsr
05-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ogpogo
I wonder if the guy feels guilty shooting a "technically" unarmed 18 year old. Oh well, stupid kid deserved it from what it sounds like.

There is no way I would feel guilty if I was in that situation. How was the guy to know that the gun the punk was pointing towards him wasn't loaded? I say good on him.

FiveFreshFish
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Bernie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz) would have shot them all.

urbannomad
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ken-gsr

There is no way I would feel guilty if I was in that situation. How was the guy to know that the gun the punk was pointing towards him wasn't loaded? I say good on him.

:werd:

retro-steve
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
In Canada this guy would be made to feel like a worse of a criminal than the robbers AND the family of the kid who got shot would probably sue the shooter just because Canada is retarded.

Here's some clarifications on the gun laws since some people here who are trying to explain it still don't seem to understand it:

handguns with barrels 106mm and longer are considered restricted firearms (including a few other guns like AR-15's and others which can all be found on the restricted firearms list on the CFC website).

To have a restricted firearm you must have:
-a restricted PAL (posession and acquisition license)

-be a member of a gun club

-have money

There are no concealed permits unless specifically authorized by the Federal government (the CFC cannot do this). An ATC (authorization to carry) can be applied for, but recently the reason of "self defense" has been taken off the application list and you may no longer have a handgun for self defence unless it is against wild animals in which case you can get a Wilderness ATT. The latter can only be used in a specified area and is only good for a certain amount if time (generally 1 year, but some are extended to 5 depending on how often you are in the area). Professionals such as LEO's and Armoured Car are issued an ATC for work purposes for the duration of employment, but can only carry while on active duty.

To transport a restricted firearm you need an ATT (athorization to transport) which in Alberta is issued for 5 years and is good for transportation from the point of storage (generally your house) to all approved ranges, gun smiths and boarder crossings within Alberta, gun shows have special consideration and you generally have to call the CFO (chief firearms officer) to inform them you're taking it to a gun show. To be transported the firearm must be disabled by either cable lock, trigger lock or have the firing pin removed. The ammunition must be seperate from the gun (unloaded) and the gun must be in a locked, opauqe case and out of sight. This can be under a seat, covered with a blanket or in the trunk.

It's true that under the rules of an ATT you cannot make a stop inbetween your destinations, so if you stopped at a gas station on your way to the range from your house you could get in a lot of shit, which is utterly retarded.

Hope this cleared things up for a few of you :)

BigMass
05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by retro-steve
In Canada this guy would be made to feel like a worse of a criminal than the robbers AND the family of the kid who got shot would probably sue the shooter just because Canada is retarded.

Here's some clarifications on the gun laws since some people here who are trying to explain it still don't seem to understand it:

Hope this cleared things up for a few of you :)

What it cleared up is that we have a lot of stupid regulations that amount to nothing more than paperwork and do nothing to stop criminals from acquiring a gun illegally and committing their crimes.

TKRIS
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

What it cleared up is that we have a lot of stupid regulations that amount to nothing more than paperwork and do nothing to stop criminals from acquiring a gun illegally and committing their crimes.

WHA WHAT!?!?!?!

Do you mean to say that "black" guns won't spontaneously load themselves and go off to rape and kill small children?!?!

Oh my!! Wendy Cukier certainly has led me astray...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/silverado7/guns/guncontrol.jpg

retro-steve
05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

and welcome to the world of Canadian gun control and beliefs, where people like me are made to feel like a criminal when loading my car with guns to go to the range.

Super_Geo
05-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Bernie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz) would have shot them all.

Bernhard Goetz is my hero of the week. :thumbsup:

creeper
05-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I highly doubt it. It may bring about charges for improper storage of a firearm, but I have a feeling the crown wouldn't touch it.

Agreed.

You could butcher an entire family here and get, what - 6 months?