PDA

View Full Version : Used auto sales in marketplace rant

rage2
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Is it just me or are some of the ppl (I'd say 1/3) selling cars on beyond completely out to lunch?

I've been looking for another car, and while it'd be nice to buy locally from a beyond member, the prices on here are just insane... it's like they have no clue what the market value of their cars are. I mean, auto trader is expensive, but some of the guys here have never heard of depreciation or something.

Example 1.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176943/fs-2002-bmw-m3/

I've been looking for an e46 m3 the last month, and found quite a few attractive E46 M3's loaded to the tits and less km's than this car. I found a Canadian car that had every single option, the more expensive SMG tranny, in a color I didn't like (silver) and 1 year newer (2003). That car was asking $44,500 on Canada trader, and even that was expensive. This guy's asking for $54k. I'm just kinda curious... why??? How??? How the hell is that car worth $54k, when the MSRP for the car was $69k back in 2002? Not to mention bringing up a 2002 coupe with less km's from the states costs about, you ready for this? $37,000 cdn. All said and done. That's without even shopping around. If u look hard enough, u can have an '02 M3 here for about $33k cdn.

Next up...
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/177085/fs-2007-honda-civic-si/

I've been thinking of getting a Civic Si for a while now, and it's a great performing car for the price, so this one intrigued me too... almost brand new with only 3800km's on the clock. Should save quite a few bucks since the first owner decided to give up the car and eat a large chunk of depreciation for me.

OK, so he got suckered into the useless Diamond Coat package, heavy undercoating. That's a minus. Option wise, he's got none. Base car, if I strip the undercoating that would be pretty good for use at AutoX's. Let's see what he's asking...

$28,955. Kinda high I thought. OK I couldn't remember what Civic Si's sold for, so I went on the honda website to spec out a base Civic Si. MSRP of $26,380. Add 6% GST, and it comes out to $27962.80. WTF???? OK maybe he aded the $799 diamond coat to the price. That's $27179 + 6% == $28,809.74.

WTF??? Civic's appreciate now in price? Sure it's only a difference of like $150, but that's still appreciation. I guess someone else bitched about it too, and got banned in that thread lol.

I'm only picking these 2 out as examples, because they will NEVER sell for that price (unless they sell to a retarded guy). There's tons more that are pretty nuts in terms of price.

2BLUE
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Every car i have bought on beyond has been not so good.

But its hit and miss i guess.

Places like usedcalgary and stuff are cheaper...but not beyond everyone wants top dollar for there eagle talon when i could go buy a totally good shape lady driven never bagged one for $3500 and never have any issues....LOL

rage2
05-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I dunno about every car, I know of quite a few ppl that's sold or bought cars here, and great deals both ways. I'm just ranting about some ppl that are way out to lunch on prices, where it will NEVER sell. Why even bother posting it up?

Disoblige
05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
lol, "Lady driven" cars now mean nothing to me. Driven by a man or woman, it all depends on the person to take care of it properly. I seen lots of women drive the shit out of their cars and not even care.

Ogpogo
05-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Next up...

I've been thinking of getting a Civic Si for a while now, and it's a great performing car for the price, so this one intrigued me too... almost brand new with only 3800km's on the clock. Should save quite a few bucks since the first owner decided to give up the car and eat a large chunk of depreciation for me.

OK, so he got suckered into the useless Diamond Coat package, heavy undercoating. That's a minus. Option wise, he's got none. Base car, if I strip the undercoating that would be pretty good for use at AutoX's. Let's see what he's asking...

$28,955. Kinda high I thought. OK I couldn't remember what Civic Si's sold for, so I went on the honda website to spec out a base Civic Si. MSRP of $26,380. Add 6% GST, and it comes out to $27962.80. WTF???? OK maybe he aded the $799 diamond coat to the price. That's $27179 + 6% == $28,809.74.

WTF??? Civic's appreciate now in price? Sure it's only a difference of like $150, but that's still appreciation. I guess someone else bitched about it too, and got banned in that thread lol.

I'm only picking these 2 out as examples, because they will NEVER sell for that price (unless they sell to a retarded guy).

That one reeeally caught my eye. I thought it might of had negetive mileage.

ninjak84
05-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Fuck it. Im ranting too.

The retards on this site seem to enjoy wasting my time by mis-representing their cars on the internet. This is done by putting up pictures of a painted show car rolling on 18s, then bringing the car primered up on steelies for me to look at. Or how about all you assholes who like to exclude the hood and hatchback as being pieces on the car?

"Does it have any rust?"
"No"
*Meet to look at car*
"The hood and hatch have rust"
"Ya but not much"

Im also learning to enjoy dealing with the moron who cant seem to decide which parts and pieces hes going to include with the car. I fucking feel like Im bartering in Mexico sometimes.

For every liar Ive met in the last month, you can all go get fucked for wasting my time.

Dont even get me started on the asking prices around here. As if the cunts asking $20k for S13s arent bad enough, now all you shit-headed RHD owners are trying to pass your Japanese crap off at North American prices :rofl: LOL @ anyone selling a 300zx, Skyline, or Rx7 for over $10k. Some of you guys are so obviously trying to scrape your money back its laughable.

... :hijack:

Weapon_R
05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Best posts ever. That M3 above can be imported for about 30k now, with the dollar the way it is. I've seen a couple sell for 26K USD, which is just a touch more in Canadian funds. Do the conversion, add your taxes, and you're still around 20k richer than the moron who buys that white one posted here.

Some might not like the hassles involved in importing, but you can bet your asses that the cars down south are cleaner and better maintained than the ones here. Milder climates and competition force people down there to compete for a sale, so they take care of their cars just as well as anyone else.

max_boost
05-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah I'm not even going to bother looking here on Beyond or the Trader for my next car. Going South FTMFW.

Aleks
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I have had no issues selling my cars on beyond. I just price them realistically.

Anyways that Civic Si also caught my attention. I actually had a deposit down on an Si before I bought my WRX last summer. The total was $29,400 after Gst, Pdi, Freight and all that BS. All I was able to negotiate off was 600 from MSRP.

I would expect that Si would go for 25-26. I can't see anyone not wanting to add another 1,000 and get a new one so they can break it in themselves etc.

rage2
05-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Ya, don't get me wrong, there are some great deals on beyond. I'm just kinda amused by what some ppl ask haha. It'll never sell, and I'm kinda curious what these guys are thinking.

Toms-SC
05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm kinda curious what these guys are thinking.

Greater fool theory. It only takes one to buy the car. ;)

legendboy
05-22-2007, 09:16 AM
i feel ya rage, i see this all the time and think wtf is wrong with people.

i have almost made a thread like this many times

hussein
05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Geeez don't you guys factor in the sentimental value. :rofl:

But seriously, it's hard to sell something so expensive for so much less than you paid for it. That's one of the reasons why I decided not to sell my vehicle for a few more years, once that depreciation curve flattens out. That's probably why these guys are selling their cars so high? :dunno:

rage2
05-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hussein
But seriously, it's hard to sell something so expensive for so much less than you paid for it.
lol, welcome to the world of cars, where you lose 30% driving off the lot. If you can't handle that, but stocks instead? :dunno:

spikerS
05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I 100% agree with pretty much everything posted on here so far.

I have sucsessfully sold 2 cars on here now. '97 grand am and a '89 civic. While I sold both, both were a tad below my asking price, but still fair.

however, no matter what value a book says something is worth, you still have to find a buyer for it. (read between the lines: it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.) So if those 2 FS adverts find buyers, they were not out to lunch at all, but I still say it will never sell.

Just my thoughts on the second car tho: He may have placed that on here with that price as we all know beyond has the biggest lowballers around, so while he is asking $29k, when that lowballer comes and offers 25-26k, he can accept it.

Aleks
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I 100% agree with pretty much everything posted on here so far.

I have sucsessfully sold 2 cars on here now. '97 grand am and a '89 civic. While I sold both, both were a tad below my asking price, but still fair.

however, no matter what value a book says something is worth, you still have to find a buyer for it. (read between the lines: it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.) So if those 2 FS adverts find buyers, they were not out to lunch at all, but I still say it will never sell.

Just my thoughts on the second car tho: He may have placed that on here with that price as we all know beyond has the biggest lowballers around, so while he is asking $29k, when that lowballer comes and offers 25-26k, he can accept it.

The problem is the beyond low baller is offering $20K cash in hand tonight. :rofl:

mike_papps
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
and that offer is made by a 15 year old kid who has $200 in hand from his Dickie Dee ice cream job.

hussein
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM

lol, welcome to the world of cars, where you lose 30% driving off the lot. If you can't handle that, but stocks instead? :dunno:

Tried that quite a few years ago, they were doing well, then when things became bad, my portfolio became about half, and well, I'm doing better with the car. :rofl:

ricosuave
05-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mike_papps
and that offer is made by a 15 year old kid who has $200 in hand from his Dickie Dee ice cream job.

and asks if you'll take payments :eek:

and rage, you're THE MAN around here...

make it happen. make beyond the website that we all want. post a sticky about black and blue and vmr canada prices.

do what it takes to rid ourselves of the ridiculous lowballer tire kickers around here

FiveFreshFish
05-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Here are some chronic problems I've seen:

- Seller bumps post and then deletes the previous bump to hide the bumpage frequency.

- Seller forgets to list the transmission. Duh...

- Seller conveniently omits the odometer reading. People are going to ask, so why hide it?

- Seller doesn't have photos when putting up the ad. Why even bother until you have the pics?

- Seller can't get hold of a camera now that the ad is up. At least make a half-assed effort to borrow a camera to sell that expensive car. Unless you lived under a rock for the past decade, you must know SOMEONE with a digicam or phone cam.

- Seller does not use 4-digit model year. I thought this is a requirement?

I've been looking for another car,
Are you looking to sell the Yaris?

rage2
05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Are you looking to sell the Yaris?
Ya I am... $30,995 obo! :rofl:

BigMass
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
bottom line, if you're looking for a used high end sports car there is only one place to shop. The US. Canadian used car prices on cars $50k and over just can't compete. I don’t blame the sellers though. They bought their cars new for $80,000 two years ago and in the US you can buy it now for about $30,000. Canadians got raped big time on new car prices. Instead of putting down the sellers that try and sell their used cars for a fair depreciation, just save the hassle and buy in the US for 1/2 the price. It's unfortunate but everyone here has basically taken a bath on their cars in the past 5 years. The only way to remotely feel good about it, is to hope the border and buy that M3 for $30,000 and take advantage of the weak US $$ for once in our lives.

If you're looking for a top notch importer send me a PM. Well Rage, i think you probably know him already since you go to the track a lot. Doug Hall at Ultimate Motorcars. Just call him and save yourself the headache because you will NEVER get a deal here like you will in the US.

rage2
05-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Yea I know Doug well. I knew he sold cars, I didn't know he imported cars from the US tho.

BigMass
05-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Yea I know Doug well. I knew he sold cars, I didn't know he imported cars from the US tho.

He does for higher end cars like BMWs, Porsches etc. where it's actually worth the time, effort and money. You should give him a call and see what he can do for you on a used M3. I think he has connection in a few places like Seattle so he can either have the car shipped for you or arrange for you to pick it up and drive it back if you want to save some cash and do a weekend road trip. He also has quite a few connections with BMW dealers here locally and might be able to swing some deals at “near” US prices but the way the $$ is going I highly doubt it at this point in time

JRSC00LUDE
05-25-2007, 10:21 AM
You should look here for a car (if you want new).

Vandalism spree causes $700,000 in damage. An east-side auto dealership (Vaugh Wyant) is tallying the damages after about 40 Land Rovers, Jaguars and Mercedes vehicles were vandalized some time Friday night or Saturday morning.

Damage like keying and cut ragtops etc. Supposed to be some pretty steep insurance discounts on those cars right now. Selling them as is. If you've got the hook-up for paint you might get a steal of a deal!

Mazstyle
05-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Here are some chronic problems I've seen:

- Seller does not use 4-digit model year. I thought this is a requirement?

WTF, does '98 honda civic really confuse you?

Weapon_R
05-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

WTF, does '98 honda civic really confuse you?

No, but a 4 digit year can be searched, 2 digits cannot

boxer23
05-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
You should look here for a car (if you want new).

Vandalism spree causes $700,000 in damage. An east-side auto dealership (Vaugh Wyant) is tallying the damages after about 40 Land Rovers, Jaguars and Mercedes vehicles were vandalized some time Friday night or Saturday morning.

Damage like keying and cut ragtops etc. Supposed to be some pretty steep insurance discounts on those cars right now. Selling them as is. If you've got the hook-up for paint you might get a steal of a deal!

hey which dealership is that exactly?? east side dodge??
i would love to save some cash on a benz:bigpimp:

pinoyhero
05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Serioulsy though, who cares, the Beyond market weeds out the overpriced cars. I've sold 4 cars on here and I do it by asking a fair price (ie. very little neg room). The high ballers will find out that if they want to sell their car for $18,000, starting at $25,000 OBO is a waste of time.

Proyecto2000
05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by boxer23

hey which dealership is that exactly?? east side dodge??
i would love to save some cash on a benz:bigpimp:

I think it would be Vaughn Wyant Automotive Group in Saskatoon.

JRSCOOLUDE, any idea on how big the discounts would be?

Mazstyle
05-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

No, but a 4 digit year can be searched, 2 digits cannot

touché, thats something else that needs to be addressed, Why can't we search for a single letter or number. I was searching for an R6 the other day and of course it was no good....

gpomp
06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
bump, here are two more overpriced cars.

06 330i, 33k km $53,000. a good friend of mine recently picked one up with 10k km on it from calgary bmw, for under $50k tax in.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179713/fs-2006-bmw-330i/

01 s2k, $28k for this car :rolleyes:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179535/fs-01-s2000-silverstone-red/

rage2
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Everyone wants to unload their 330's and get into a 335 hehe.

rc2002
06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Im also learning to enjoy dealing with the moron who cant seem to decide which parts and pieces hes going to include with the car. I fucking feel like Im bartering in Mexico sometimes.

Those posts really bug me too. If I see 3 difference prices in one post, I'm going to offer an amount that's less than the lowest price.

kenny
06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

touché, thats something else that needs to be addressed, Why can't we search for a single letter or number. I was searching for an R6 the other day and of course it was no good....

The search is based off of an index. If we build the index based on a 2 character minimum search it would become extremely large so we left it at the default setting of 3 characters.

Hakkola
06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Is it just me or are some of the ppl (I'd say 1/3) selling cars on beyond completely out to lunch?

I've been looking for another car, and while it'd be nice to buy locally from a beyond member, the prices on here are just insane... it's like they have no clue what the market value of their cars are. I mean, auto trader is expensive, but some of the guys here have never heard of depreciation or something.

:werd: What a bunch of tools. If you want to buy a car off beyond though, buy mine, only 260 000km, all highway, $15 000 in mods, I'll sell it for $38 000 or trade for your E55. :thumbsup:

SJW
06-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Yah people ask way too much for polished up terds.

Euro838
06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Next up...

I'm only picking these 2 out as examples, because they will NEVER sell for that price (unless they sell to a retarded guy). There's tons more that are pretty nuts in terms of price. [/B]

Just to add in this guy's defense, my guess on what he's thinking is that if you went to a dealer, the total price you'd be paying is $29,441.50 due upon delivery. This also doesn't take into account the Diamond cote or "extras" that may have been done. So since it's only got 3800 kms, he's willing to knock off at least $450 off (+extras) off. I'm sure he's also thinking that he can start high and then lower it if he doesn't get any bites.

Since it's a 2007, there's no black book pricing available yet but say he can get $26,000 for trade in value, he'll also get the tax for this amount too. I know this doesn't justify the price that is being asked as really for a thousand or so, I'm sure most people here would rather buy new as you'd get a brand spankin new car that no one has driven and get the basket of fruit or something from the dealer. Also, there may be some financing incentives that you wouldn't be able to get at a bank.

Up until recently, it only made moderate sense to bring a vehicle solely on financial reasons in the lower end of the market but these days with the soft US economy, a lot of dealers are really willing to move on pricing so it's quite attractive to buy new from US dealers. I recently had a friend save (not kidding here) about CDN$10,000 on a Honda Element and the process was extremely smooth and pleasant.

Anyways, I'm still curious to know if cars are still selling strong locally from dealers that they are still reluctant to move off MSRP.

Justing
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Serioulsy though, who cares, the Beyond market weeds out the overpriced cars. I've sold 4 cars on here and I do it by asking a fair price (ie. very little neg room). The high ballers will find out that if they want to sell their car for $18,000, starting at $25,000 OBO is a waste of time.

thats pretty much the way i see it.
i sold one car for close to my asking price and same goes with wheels and everything else i sell.
i HATE HATE putting obo and bunch of idiots tell me they'll pay me half my asking price in cash money tonight. oh ok bye.
besides, dropping prices drastically after a while is embarrasing. just be realistic and you'll sell it.

Unfortunaly most ppl on beyond tend to lowball you becuase they have cash money... tonight. so i honestly think ppl overprice things on beyond since they expect to be lowballed.

Redlyne_mr2
06-14-2007, 01:44 AM
On the other hand.. someone posts a decent little car for a good price and you get morons like the first poster responding in this thread. The Beyond used car marketplace is a strange place for sure.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179866

Crymson
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
And then you get this kind of shit

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171583/fs-89-240-with-mods/

guh!

FiveFreshFish
06-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Photos should be MANDATORY! Just like the price.

benyl
06-17-2007, 11:10 PM
yeah, I suggested that long time ago, but it was shot down.

eur0
06-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
On the other hand.. someone posts a decent little car for a good price and you get morons like the first poster responding in this thread. The Beyond used car marketplace is a strange place for sure.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179866

I like to believe I ask a fair price when selling a vehicle. You just have to be realistic about what your trying to sell and make sure to get a rough idea of its value. Most people tend to want to swing for the fences with their price, but they really aren't fooling anyone.

QuasarCav
06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Maybe Rob should have posted this himself....

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/180272/fs-1998-honda-civic-ek-4500/

sea of ash
06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
i thought some of the ones on here were ridiculous, then ive beeen running into things like this on facebook marketplace...
http://ucalgary.facebook.com/marketplace/listing.php?classified_id=2551956722

Ogpogo
06-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by sea of ash
i thought some of the ones on here were ridiculous, then ive beeen running into things like this on facebook marketplace...
http://ucalgary.facebook.com/marketplace/listing.php?classified_id=2551956722

lol, heres the idiot trying to get it 12 g's for that 200k integra.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v61/141/38/509823378/n509823378_11002_44.jpg

TNation
06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
:drama: haha U of C kids who need textbook money