PDA

View Full Version : Syn or Real

tsuga
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
which oil is better synthetic or the real stuff??

Rx7
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
synthetic

adidas
05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
i always wondered too!

*waits to hear opinions*

Hemi RT
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by tsuga
which oil is better synthetic or the real stuff??

Synthetic in most cases is better; however you should check with your vehicle manufacturer about using it. The Dodge 5.7 Hemi MDS engine is not supposed to be used with synthetic, in fact if you use synthetic you will void the warranty. This engine uses 5W20 all year round.

hussein
05-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Hemi RT

Synthetic in most cases is better; however you should check with your vehicle manufacturer about using it. The Dodge 5.7 Hemi MDS engine is not supposed to be used with synthetic, in fact if you use synthetic you will void the warranty. This engine uses 5W20 all year round.

Wow, that is interesting to know!

But yea, most cases, synthetic ftw!

Hemi RT
05-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by hussein

Wow, that is interesting to know!

But yea, most cases, synthetic ftw!

What is really funny is the 6.1 Hemi, which is built from the 5.7 platform comes from Chrysler with synthetic in it but it hasn't got the MDS feature.

tsuga
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
haha o wow that is interesting haha

barbarian
05-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Same goes for any mazda rotary engine, no synthetic allowed.

Euro838
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Is there any benefit to switching to Synthetic say if you bought a car with 50K kms and it's always ran conventional changed at regular intervals? Also, is there a way to "drain" all of the conventional oil so you can replace with synthetic? Is this done at a shop or basically over time, the conventional will eventually rid itself and you'll have basically all synthetic?

arian_ma
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Also, how can you tell what kind of oil is in your car? I am nearing the oil change point and am not sure what kind of oil the previous owner used. I am thinking of going with regular 10W-30 oil so it really shouldn't matter what kind of oil was in there before if I am pouring regular in there...correct?
I have read that you only need to flush the engine if you are switching TO synthetic.

What is the truth?

Hemi RT
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Is there any benefit to switching to Synthetic say if you bought a car with 50K kms and it's always ran conventional changed at regular intervals? Also, is there a way to "drain" all of the conventional oil so you can replace with synthetic? Is this done at a shop or basically over time, the conventional will eventually rid itself and you'll have basically all synthetic?
You'll have to have a shop do it that has the equipment to flush the engine completely; mixing Synthetic with regular oil is a NO-NO.

Ogpogo
06-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Hemi RT

You'll have to have a shop do it that has the equipment to flush the engine completely; mixing Synthetic with regular oil is a NO-NO.

Unless im completely out to lunch (which i just may be), I had an oil change done, switched from regular to synthetic, and no engine blowout flush shit had to be done. Drained all the regular, filled up with syn. :dunno:

QuasarCav
06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ogpogo

Unless im completely out to lunch (which i just may be), I had an oil change done, switched from regular to synthetic, and no engine blowout flush shit had to be done. Drained all the regular, filled up with syn. :dunno:

I'm with you man. I buy whatever oil is on sale at crappy tire. I can go from Mobil 1 to McCheap oil without an issue.

They say that using synthetic in an older motor will cause leaking but I've never experienced it.

Supa Dexta
06-05-2007, 05:35 PM
jusr change it often, and it doesnt matter what you run in a regular car... Even the cheapest stuff from walmart meets the latest specs..

BlueFrenzy
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
Same goes for any mazda rotary engine, no synthetic allowed.

Not true entirely. In the past, when standards of oils were not enforced strictly, some synthetic oils would cause apex seals to fail. Now with higher standards, the oils will not cause failure in the seals. The reason that Mazda does not fully endorse synthetics in rotaries is NOT because of the seal issue (like I said it was solved years ago) ... it is with the way that some oil formulations mixed with the fuel.

Since the rotary burns a bit of oil by design, one thing that you want to look for in synthetics is a good ash point. Most over the counter synthetics are decent in the rotary but the ones that Yamaguchi (the smartest man on Earth when it comes to rotaries) recommend are Royal Purple, Idemitsu and Valvoline. The only one he doesn't like is Mobil 1. Another neat note is that the founder of Royal Purple is a rotary man and designed his oil so that it would suit the rotary. As well, Yamaguchi assisted in the formulation of Idemitsu.

Rick Engman (built all rotary engines for Downing racing) says "I wouldn't use anything but synthetic in a rotary" --> btw he likes Valvoline.

As for piston engines, I've used Royal Purple and Valvoline with no issues --> lovely for winter starts.

PINOY-X
06-05-2007, 07:08 PM
synthetic is better for the engine as it has more adittives butt dont use it if u have some pretty good leaks as synthetic is a thinner oil ....