PDA

View Full Version : Canada: We take it up the bum

Toms-SC
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
This is a spin off of the gas prices thread.

You want to take a look at the REAL rip off currently happening under our nose? Check out the Canadian dollar. Yesterday the Canadian dollar closed at a touch over $0.92 with no end in site. The gap between the Canadian and American dollar is closing fast. Just look at the past 3 months.

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/3m?cadusd=x

Now if you recall when the Canadian dollar hit its lowest and stayed there for awhile the market had to 'adjust' their prices to match the currency. Ie. the price for goods went up. This is most noticeable in the automobile market. Now with our dollar nearing the same as the American dollar the market has not 're-adjusted' to the higher Canadian dollar. Ie. They are racking in HUGE profit.

:nut: :banghead:

01RedDX
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Toms-SC
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
:confused:

Shit, I didn't know

:confused:

01RedDX
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM

redline
05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Now if you recall when the Canadian dollar hit its lowest and stayed there for awhile the market had to 'adjust' their prices to match the currency. Ie. the price for goods went up. This is most noticeable in the automobile market. Now with our dollar nearing the same as the American dollar the market has not 're-adjusted' to the higher Canadian dollar. Ie. They are racking in HUGE profit.

:nut: :banghead:

I agree that we are getting ripped off on the cars...

Here are some issues:

1. is it a crime to make money? Who gets to says what is too much profit?
2. If they dropped the price of the cars ~ 20% like they should can you see what a a problem that would create in the used car market. It benefits then new car buyer and the used car buyer but total screws anyone that owns a car...
3. You can always go to the US and buy a new car and bring it back...

rage2
05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
New car sales is a funny thing...

When the Canadian to US$ ratio was at 1.5+ to 1, dealerships flocked to export cars to the US. US bitched to the point where the manufacturers fined dealerships exporting cars out of the country. After that, individuals started doing it, and that loophole was closed by no export contracts on all new sales in Canada.

Now that the ratio is at 1.08 to 1, the Canadian dealerships are bitching because they can't beat prices on individuals importing the cars themselves. Most dealerships try and deny any warranty work on US cars.

I believe Porsche and Ferrari dealerships pay USD$ for their cars, so they are raking in the most money right now. The rest they pay CDN$, so dealerships aren't making the extra dollar, the distributors at the port and manufacturers are.

So ya, :thumbsdow to car dealerships, they take advantage of where the $ sits to benefit them all the time, and screw the consumer at every opportunity.

BTW - some brands do not allow dealerships to deny warranty because it's a US car, even tho the dealerships are doing it. If you import a new car from the US and curious about warranty, talk to head office and not the dealership if you want to know if there's coverage. I believe Honda is the only manufacturer that have denied coverage to US cars.

JAYMEZ
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
^^ To add to that . Porsche Canada is trying to refuse to give US imported cars recall letters. But in a way , its your right to get the letter.. I wonder if other dealerships are going to try the same BS.

rage2
05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
There is no Porsche Canada. It's Porsche Cars North America, which covers both US and Canada, which means they HAVE to serve your needs regardless if you're in Canada or US, recall letter, warranty, etc.

Honda can get away with it because Canada and US operations are completely separate entities.

Tik-Tok
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
It sure as hell isn't just on new cars, parts are retarded as well.

I just called Glenmore Audi for a new airspring for my Allroad $790... then I called Sunset Audi in Portland (as I'll be down there next month... same part, $540! That's what I call a severe rip off

If it wasn't for the internet my ass would be SOOOORE! (Audi parts super store... $440 :thumbsup: )

R-Audi
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
I thik for the Euro cars... you have to look at the value of our dollar vs. the Euro.. and prices wont immediately reflect the value of the dollar, as typically prices are set at the time of the purchases, or time the prices are released.

Toma
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It's everything... my buddy lived in Vegas for 2 years (not the cheapest place in the US lol), and just moved back couple weeks ago... we went shopping together, and he COULD NOT believe how expensive everything was.

From sandals, to cereal, to bicycles, to chicken lol.

89coupe
05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2

BTW - some brands do not allow dealerships to deny warranty because it's a US car, even tho the dealerships are doing it. If you import a new car from the US and curious about warranty, talk to head office and not the dealership if you want to know if there's coverage. I believe Honda is the only manufacturer that have denied coverage to US cars.

My buddy at work bought a 2005 Mercedes from Michigan last year and could not register it until Mercedes approved over $5K in changes to make it legal for Canada.

benyl
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
yeah, in the RIV list, MB basically says that there might be "some" mods required to register the vehicle. That sucks. E55s are so much cheaper south of the border, but you don't know what needs to be done to the car until MB Canada tells you.

Toma
05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Mercedes is a seriously fucked car to import. Pretty well anything else is easier...

Toms-SC
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Toma
It's everything... my buddy lived in Vegas for 2 years (not the cheapest place in the US lol), and just moved back couple weeks ago... we went shopping together, and he COULD NOT believe how expensive everything was.

From sandals, to cereal, to bicycles, to chicken lol.

This is true. Until you all have been to the US you have no clue. I went back to Dallas about 4 months ago and everything from milk to tires are cheaper. We just get boned daily on these so nobody takes notice. But when gas changes price everyone takes notice. :eek:

Toms-SC
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Mercedes is a seriously fucked car to import. Pretty well anything else is easier...

Good luck dealing with the Toyota dealerships around the border states. We went to three different dealerships money in hand, no haggling or anything and were refused the second we mentioned we would be coming in from Canada to pick it up. Apparently Toyota US has been coming down on dealerships selling to Canada. Our adventure is still continues as we source out a Toyota from Texas.

Toma
05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Good luck dealing with the Toyota dealerships around the border states. We went to three different dealerships money in hand, no haggling or anything and were refused the second we mentioned we would be coming in from Canada to pick it up. Apparently Toyota US has been coming down on dealerships selling to Canada. Our adventure is still continues as we source out a Toyota from Texas.
That's different... I was talking once you already ahve the car, or even a used one....

Toma
05-22-2007, 04:06 PM

This is true. Until you all have been to the US you have no clue. I went back to Dallas about 4 months ago and everything from milk to tires are cheaper. We just get boned daily on these so nobody takes notice. But when gas changes price everyone takes notice. :eek:
Hahahahaha, yeah, I forgot about tires... he had new 16s mounted, balanced and installled before he came up... for $200 lol

That's what I pay for used ones!!!