PDA

View Full Version : '03 Jetta Car Audio Questions

forbiddenera
05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
So I'm doing a sub install on an '03 Jetta, and the owner wants to keep the stock deck.. Everything's ready to go and in the car, wires layed out, except, looking around the deck I couldn't access any wiring to tap the speakers for the line output converter, so I decided to try and remove the deck to get access.. It seems from my (albeit, short) googling that a little key is required to push the tabs and remove the deck..

Now, my questions are:
1. Do I have to pull out the deck to gain access to the wires I have to tap?

2. If so, do I require the key?

3. If so, is there anywhere in town I can buy the key/borrow one for 30 seconds?

adidas
05-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes the deck has to be pulled out to gain access to the wires from the speakers/power/antenna.

Yes you will need a key. VW dealers sell them but i think they are pretty expensive. ($40 if im not mistaken)

Join Eurodrivers.ca and see if anyone on the site would be willing to to let you borrow theirs for a few seconds. Also try an give TuneDub a call, they MIGHT have it. (# 403.23TUNED)

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 12:35 AM
sick, thanks for the quick response. I was going to go to a few pro places tomorrow and ask to borrow the tool for a sec, i'll definitely give that number a call too..

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 12:43 AM
ps.
anyone wanna lend me one

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 12:51 AM
oh and, best way to run the cables to the trunk in this car?

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 01:13 AM
someone on vwvortex suggested steak knives, saying he had used them?

feasability? damage risk?

shynepho
05-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Your best bet is to join www.newveedub.com they most likely will be able to help you with pretty much anything VW related.

nnnnny
05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Its very easy to take the stock deck out

find any used credit card or ID then cut them in mini pieces , stick them in there and push toward , grab the cass. slot and pull out the whole unit

silvercivicsir
05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
make them yourself with extra deck keys from a pioneer. just got to grind them down.

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by nnnnny
Its very easy to take the stock deck out

find any used credit card or ID then cut them in mini pieces , stick them in there and push toward , grab the cass. slot and pull out the whole unit

sweet

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 01:28 PM
thanks for all the help guys, will post the result.

forbiddenera
05-23-2007, 11:37 PM
OK SO I WASTED TWO ****ING HOURS WAITING IN TRAFFIC TO GET THE KEYS..

basically, popped the keys in, and one of the clips just wouldn't go, think it got bent some how..

two hours later the dash is ripped apart.

two hours later it's mostly put back together with a few minor imperfections.

sub install went well though.