PDA

View Full Version : is this a Good deal on this 1992 Toyota Supra Turbo?

toyota666
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=28010076&pgno=1&srt=1

I know its not a 93 but it still looks nice. I am not looking to import a 92 supra just one local in calgary

I dont mind the rhd ones but they are asking way too much. those JDM import car companies changed.

boxer23
05-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by toyota666
those JDM import car companies changed.

lol, i saw that too eh, since it has all servive records, thats a plus, with jdm ur risking it being bagged or rolled back(im assuming the owner of this supra is some old person).
prise wise, should be a litle lower

check this out, though its jdm n auto

rm777
05-23-2007, 06:14 PM
There are a number of things to consider when considering the MKIII Supra. First of all, has the headgasket been done. Secondly, has the headgasket been done properly and at what stage in order to determine potential damage to the motor. Third, a good deal depends on what you are willing to pay. I also feel that this example will be on the market for a long time as the market for true MKIII enthusiasts with money is VERY small. It is mostly kids who know nothing about cars in general. Furthermore, if you do buy an MKIII, learn how to work on the car yourself as it will get very expensive.

If I were to spend that much money on an MKIII, I would consider this one instead:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422328

If you have anymore questions, let me know. I am fairly familiar with these cars. Also, there are a number of board members that own MKIII Supras. You should definitely seek them out and see what they have to say. Good Luck!

toyota666
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
the supra head gasket fails jsut as much as camry and 4 runner around those years.

thanks for all the imput so far. but is it a good price?

toyota666
05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by rm777
There are a number of things to consider when considering the MKIII Supra. First of all, has the headgasket been done. Secondly, has the headgasket been done properly and at what stage in order to determine potential damage to the motor. Third, a good deal depends on what you are willing to pay. I also feel that this example will be on the market for a long time as the market for true MKIII enthusiasts with money is VERY small. It is mostly kids who know nothing about cars in general. Furthermore, if you do buy an MKIII, learn how to work on the car yourself as it will get very expensive.

If I were to spend that much money on an MKIII, I would consider this one instead:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422328

If you have anymore questions, let me know. I am fairly familiar with these cars. Also, there are a number of board members that own MKIII Supras. You should definitely seek them out and see what they have to say. Good Luck!

thanks not sure how it is expensive

I checked prices of alternator, starter, jdm turbo (around 100) and found nothing expesnive about it. i am familar with toyota quality. it will only get expensive if u buy a toyota that was abused and had its wiring played around with.

I am toyota fan but never was into sports cars. i have red the 7M MOTOR is exteremly relaible and fuel effiecent. just like my camry.

rm777
05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Expensive in the sense that a shop will rape you on labor charges. For example, the location of the starter makes it a PITA to get to. Therefore, if you don't do it yourself, a shop will literally rape you on labor. Moreover, certain parts can get very expensive, not just the regular maintanance ones that you speak of. For example, a TPS will run you around $250 in Canada, if not more. But cheaper parts can be had if you look at places in the US.

You also have to consider that fact that these motors are not very tolerant of low levels of oil for an extended period of time. I have seen 7M's with less that 150,000KM that had rodknock because of a few times that it was run a little low. I'll be honest ,these cars are very fun and relatively easy to work on. You just have to realize that they are getting old, and will need a lot of parts replaced in the near future. As a daily driver, I would not recommend these cars. As for fuel efficiency, what are you comparing these motors to? Just to give you an idea, I get 12.5L/100KM on my daily driven MKIII Turbo Auto. Not great, but not horrible either. You should check out supramania.com for further and more detailed information. Good Luck.

toyota666
05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Expensive in the sense that a shop will rape you on labor charges. For example, the location of the starter makes it a PITA to get to. therefore, if you don;t do it yourself, a shop will literally rape you on labor. You also have to consider that fact that these motors are not very tolerant of low levels of oil for an extended period of time. I have seen 7M's with less that 150,000KM that had rodknock because of a few times that it was run a little low. I'll be honest ,these cars are very fun and relatively easy to work on. You just have to realize that they are getting old, and will need a lot of parts replaced in the near future. As a daily driver, I would not recommend these cars. As for fuel efficiency, what are you comparing these motors to? Just to give you an idea, I get 12.5L/100KM on my daily driven MKIII Turbo Auto. Not great, but not horrible either. You should check out supramania.com for further and more detailed information. Good Luck.

thanks i have looked at one, and everything seems easy to get to, what real wheel drive starter is easy to get to, i went to fuel effiecny.gov and noticed its almost the same as 6 cynlder camry. could i be wrong?

rm777
05-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by toyota666

thanks i have looked at one, and everything seems easy to get to, what real wheel drive starter is easy to get to, i went to fuel effiecny.gov and noticed its almost the same as 6 cynlder camry. could i be wrong?

Depends on how you drive. A turbocharged car's gas mileage will take a dump if you are constantly boosting.

toyota666
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Depends on how you drive. A turbocharged car's gas mileage will take a dump if you are constantly boosting.

yes i am talking on average. but i do see what your saying.