PDA

View Full Version : Passport required to drive to the USA?

Super_Geo
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I haven't really been keeping track at all... I know there were all these news stories but it never affected me so I never read into it.

Well I just remembered that I have tickets to Sasquatch in Washington and was planning on leaving tomorow night. I can't remember where I was storing my passport... might've even lost it. Do you need it to drive across the border?

PINOY-X
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
i know u need to it to fly there ... driving there not quite sure .. probably not?

civic_stylez
05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
you need it to get into the US anywhere now.. you can try your drivers licence but i wouldnt bet on that...

max_boost
05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
No passport necessary when driving. Too lazy to post the link but trust me :D

Sharpie
05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Just bring your d/l birth cirtificate and your s.i.n and you will be good to go..

Orbie
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Straight from the Passport Canada website:

Since January 23, 2007, a new American law requires everyone entering the United States BY AIR to have a valid passport.

Canadians can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and drivers’ licence to cross the Canada-U.S. border BY LAND AND SEA for at least another year.

For further information, visit the Canadian Border Services Agency’s Web site.

Have a good trip...

modded46
05-23-2007, 10:06 PM
You should really just get one but you don't need it to drive.. Only required if you fly. (for now)

Oldskool
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Passports will be needed to drive over the border come 2008

Xtrema
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, I drove into Detroit last week from Ontario with nothing but a Alberta DL.

Guard @ booth said that's not a prove of citizenship and wave me to the side to see the border agent inside.

After 30min wait and 10 min of questioning and verification. They let me through.

But if I have a passport/citizenship card/birth cert (which I do but not with me), it'll probably saved me 40 mins.

Of course, coming back isn't a problem. Canadian agent let me thru in 2s flat.

Super_Geo
05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys! I was really choked thinking I would have to sell my tickets and miss the show.... glad I lucked out on this one I guess, haha.

2BLUE
05-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Well, I drove into Detroit last week from Ontario with nothing but a Alberta DL.

Guard @ booth said that's not a prove of citizenship and wave me to the side to see the border agent inside.

After 30min wait and 10 min of questioning and verification. They let me through.

But if I have a passport/citizenship card/birth cert (which I do but not with me), it'll probably saved me 40 mins.

Of course, coming back isn't a problem. Canadian agent let me thru in 2s flat.

How did they verify you were you? were they on the computer or fingerprint?

Xtrema
05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

How did they verify you were you? were they on the computer or fingerprint?

:dunno:

But I did cross with a passport back in Jan. They must have looked it up and cross checked.

No fingerprint were given.

JAYMEZ
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Canadians dont need to give fingerprints... Only other countrys..