PDA

View Full Version : husky 92 VS esso/shell/Petro 91???

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Would that husky 92 octane run better than the 91 from everywhere else???

tsi_neal
05-24-2007, 12:41 AM
the 92 is a bit better than the 91... however if your going to mohawk/husky go to stations with the 94. its what i tuned my car on and when im in a pinch and put 91 in i notice what feels like a 50hp difference... well knock spikes through the roof and timing gets pulled...

however if your car cant utilize it then there is no point

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Yea I just can't really get 94 octane.... but there's a husky near by with 92 octane....

Just wondering if it's any better for detonation that shell/esso/ 91 octane....

962 kid
05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Ek9Max
Yea I just can't really get 94 octane.... but there's a husky near by with 92 octane....

Just wondering if it's any better for detonation that shell/esso/ 91 octane....

iirc, rage2 did a comparison a long time ago and found out that husky/mohawk gas allowed him to run more boost than any other gas stations, even chevron.

tsi_neal
05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
i havent a clue what your setup is... But if your boosting and your tuned for it then there is no reason to not get it, or if your ECU will advance timing untill it sees knock...

again if you cant use the extra octane than its not doing much usefull.

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 12:51 AM
well my ecu is a jdm one tuned for 94 ocatne (our scale)

but i really can't get 94 too easily. So i was wondering if 92 will do....

Tik-Tok
05-24-2007, 08:34 AM
well my ecu is a jdm one tuned for 94 ocatne (our scale)

but i really can't get 94 too easily. So i was wondering if 92 will do....

If it's tuned for 94... you have to use 94 or better, unless in an emergency.

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
ok. but if i HAVE to use something other than 94.... husky 92 is better than esso 91 right?

Tik-Tok
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
ok. but if i HAVE to use something other than 94.... husky 92 is better than esso 91 right?

Yes, if you HAVE to run a lesser octane. If you run it regularly though, expect some damage to your engine.

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm also runnign water injection.... so i think i'll be ok.

Tik-Tok
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm also runnign water injection.... so i think i'll be ok.

Is you engine tuned to 94 WITH water injection?

Aleks
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I have run 92 Husky in all my cars and 94 Husky in my turbo integra. Never had issues.

I have no idea if 92 is better than Shell 91 but for me the station is right by my house so it's convenient.

tsi_neal
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM

would seem to me that there are plenty of huskys offering 94 around town and that its usually not more than 5 or 10 minutes to get to one... so unless your in a pinch i dont think you HAVE to run 91/92...

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

would seem to me that there are plenty of huskys offering 94 around town and that its usually not more than 5 or 10 minutes to get to one... so unless your in a pinch i dont think you HAVE to run 91/92...

I'm in teh FAR NW. and I work in teh NE.

So yea.... 94 is rediculously inconvient for me....

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Is you engine tuned to 94 WITH water injection?

no it's not tuned for 94 with water injection.....

R-Audi
05-24-2007, 11:15 AM
With our Altitude, you should be fine running 92.. I wouldnt do any track days on it.. or really get on it on super hot days, but hte water injection should more then make up for it.

Tik-Tok
05-24-2007, 11:18 AM

no it's not tuned for 94 with water injection.....

Yeah, you'll be fine then. The water should make up for those 2 octane points.

Ek9Max
05-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
With our Altitude, you should be fine running 92.. I wouldnt do any track days on it.. or really get on it on super hot days, but hte water injection should more then make up for it.

I read that altitude only affects n/a cars as far as needing lower octane fuel....

xrayvsn
05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Do you have any way of logging your timing or detecting knock? I am tuned on 91 octane, and have done several datalogs with both Shell 91 V-power and Husky 94 ethanol blend. I have had 2 tanks of the 91 that my ECU pulled several degrees of timing on, while my ECU gives max timing called by the map every time I have logged with the 94. I had no idea since my butt dyno isn't that well calibrated.

Try both, do some logs (if you can), and see which one will give you more timing for the same boost and engine load.

Audio_Rookie
05-25-2007, 03:12 AM
indeed. and you can always drop the boost 3psi or so and run lower octane.no problem with that if you really wanna use lower octane.

I run 91 octane at 16psi and 87 octane at 6 psi....

R-Audi
05-25-2007, 08:16 AM

I read that altitude only affects n/a cars as far as needing lower octane fuel....

My understanding is that octane is slightly raised at a higher elevation...and being at 4000ft above we are a bit safer to run a lower octane if need be.

rage2
05-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I have run 92 Husky in all my cars and 94 Husky in my turbo integra. Never had issues.

I have no idea if 92 is better than Shell 91 but for me the station is right by my house so it's convenient.
Stock cars, you'll get more power and better mileage out of Shell 91.

Modded cars that are tuned to knock thresholds for each fuel, Husky/Mohawk 92 will make more power than Shell 91, fuel economy will suffer.

Tuning to knock thresholds on Husky/Mohawk 94, no other pump gas will touch it's power. Prepare to fill up a lot tho.

Aleks
05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Stock cars, you'll get more power and better mileage out of Shell 91.

Modded cars that are tuned to knock thresholds for each fuel, Husky/Mohawk 92 will make more power than Shell 91, fuel economy will suffer.

Tuning to knock thresholds on Husky/Mohawk 94, no other pump gas will touch it's power. Prepare to fill up a lot tho.

What about using midgrade on a stock engine up here? Not trying to be cheap but if the car doesn't need it at our altitude why put it in?

QuasarCav
05-25-2007, 09:21 AM

What about using midgrade on a stock engine up here? Not trying to be cheap but if the car doesn't need it at our altitude why put it in?

I'm wondering this as well. I remember a Rage2 post from a while back saying that you could get away with 89 in a stock vehicle at Calgary's elevation. My tailpipe is sooty as hell using Shell 91 in the GSR.

rage2
05-25-2007, 09:48 AM
You can safely go down 2 octane points for stock NA cars. In most cases, you'll get slightly better power, and a nice jump in mileage.

Supercharged and turbo cars, depends on how agressive stock tuning is, and depends on if boost is raised to compensate at higher elevation.

Aleks
05-25-2007, 09:56 AM

You can safely go down 2 octane points for stock NA cars. In most cases, you'll get slightly better power, and a nice jump in mileage.

Supercharged and turbo cars, depends on how agressive stock tuning is, and depends on if boost is raised to compensate at higher elevation.

Yeah my engine's NA. I think I am going to try putting in 89 octane in my car and see what happens. I'll report If I see better mileage.

xrayvsn
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM

I notice that the ECU drops boost target as the atmospheric pressure drops (or the elevation increases). I can get a 1 psi difference in boost from a change in atmospheric from 0.91 bar to 0.86 bar. That is with reading corrected absolute manifold pressures (absolute - atmospheric). Seems odd to me, since I would think that the turbo wouldn't be that far out of its efficiency range if it raised boost to compensate for lower ambient pressure.

Anyway, I notice a small but significant change in the fuel mileage when I switch to Husky 94 from Shell 91 V-power. The added safety is worth the trade-off for me.

Also a quick question, how does the slight difference in the stoich ratio of 10% ethanol blend (~14.2), compared to pure gasoline affect the knock threshold? I assume that most narrow band O2 sensors in cars look at lambda and adjust accordingly. Is that one of the reasons ethanol blended gas causes a reduction in mileage?