PDA

View Full Version : Places to buy Rollerblades/Bikes

Gooseberry
05-25-2007, 12:54 AM
So i've finally gotten motivated enough to actually exercise daily, and am looking for an upgrade to my generic $50-$100 bike, and am looking for advice on where to get one.

I know nothing about bikes, so are there specific things to look for when i am buying one? :dunno:

Like what is the difference when using a $100 bike to say a $300+?

Also asking about rollerblades since my sister is the only one close enough to actually exercise with me daily although not coming with me when i bike unless i get her a pair.

So same question here, what to look for in a pair of blades and where to go to get a decent pair?

Thanks for any help i might get. :)

Si_FlyGuy
05-25-2007, 07:40 AM
If your budget's under $350 for rollerblades, go somewhere with a good return policy (sportmart, sportchek). I've broken two rollerblades within 2 outtings each and they gladly let me exchange/upgrade them.

Look for pull up laces (not the traditional tie up ones), a good fit, a stronger chasis, and ventilation. I'm a big fan of the K2 and Salomon rollerblades. Stay away from Nike recreational blades and various crappy brands. Also, make sure to buy good wristguards too. :thumbsup:

zoik
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
for bikes, the differences you're going to see once the prices get higher are the better components. shocks, brakes, shifters, and frame. if you want a lighter bike, find an aluminum bike. disk brakes whether mechanical or hydraulic are nice especially if you are going to be doing any offroading. mud collects on the brake cable above the tires and if it's wet you'll lose a lot of braking power.

i just bought a bike back in march, i was picky about the shifters, i didn't want the shimano 1 piece. and i wanted disk brakes, which drove my price up there. you should figure out how much you want to spend first. and then take a bunch out for a spin. most of the bikes in the same price range are pretty close they'll feel different. and you might like some components better than others. a good starting place is bow cycle tons of selection

reiRei
06-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
If your budget's under $350 for rollerblades, go somewhere with a good return policy (sportmart, sportchek). I've broken two rollerblades within 2 outtings each and they gladly let me exchange/upgrade them.

Look for pull up laces (not the traditional tie up ones), a good fit, a stronger chasis, and ventilation. I'm a big fan of the K2 and Salomon rollerblades. Stay away from Nike recreational blades and various crappy brands. Also, make sure to buy good wristguards too. :thumbsup:

on top of that, depending on her skill.. I would pick a certain bearing size... abec 5 will be slower and less smooth than abec 7.. and micro bearings are the fastest... also consider the frame, aluminum will be stronger and give you a stronger base to push off from, there are some composite frames, but I prefer the metal ones.. you're more apt to push harder..

rollerblade has a great skate out, it was I think 380 when I bought it a few years ago, the aero 9s (which I think are now named activa), they had an aluminum frame, great support system, teflon lace with the easy lace up system, abec 7 bearings and gel wheels.. great skate, I still use it and I have no complaints...

also make sure that she gets a skate that's tailored to women's feet.. or else her feet will get sore real quick!

Gooseberry
06-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay so Bow Cycle is the best to buy from at the moment?

I'm looking to spend around $400-$500 max for a bike.

Can decent blades be had for around $200+?

dragonone
04-12-2008, 07:06 PM
so any suggestions as to where to buy rollerblades other than sportmart/sportchek? their selection is awful

hoamic11
04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Where do you find saloman blades?

Sportchek only has K2, Rollerblade, Firefly brands i see, what brands does sportmart carry?

dragonone
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
i finally bought my pair at sportchek

rollerblade aero850 2007 for 109.95 (+$20 off anything in store)

they hide their old inventory, but u can select them online, than call the stores for availability
you can save a ton on last year's model

i simply wanted the cheapest ones with an aluminum frame. I'll upgrade the wheels later if I feel the need to do so. calgary's local selection is awful, the most expensive pair you can find is 299, which you can find online with free shipping for $2xx

you can browse sportmart/chek inventory on their respective websites

Kritafo
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Calgary has some awesom bike shops..it depends on what you want. Mountain or Road.

Bow cycle is a good start they certainly have a huge selection of bikes. Bike shop is good, full of knowledgeable riders, and most places have riding groups which is a good way to keep motivated.
More than likely you will go through many bikes before you find one that you love. We have a basement full. My husband still rides his 79' colnago road bike more than his titanium bike.